PDA

View Full Version : Analysis of Top Teams

Tennisace
Oct 9th, 2007, 12:48 AM
1. Georgia Tech
- = 3 Starters Lost: No. 2 Silverio, No. 3 Craddock, No. 6 Rudmann
+= 2 Recruits Added: Johansson and Hickey, plus Flower who wasn't even in the line-up for the NCAA team tournament

Should be able to maintain top 3 ranking.

2. Stanford
- = 2 Starters Lost: Hard to replace No. 1 Logar, No. 2 Yelsey
+ = 3 Recruits Added: Barte, McVeigh, and Yen

Definitely more vulnerable then they were last year. Still a strong team though the bottom of the line-up (No. 5 and 6) much weaker than years past and doubles is a huge question mark in my opinion. With stronger UCLA and USC teams, Stanford will be lucky to be top 3, maybe even top 5. They're probably a No. 4-6 team.

3. UCLA
- = Entire team intact, no losses
+ = 1 Recruit Added: Remynse, top recruit, added to the mix

UCLA is a top 3 team, no doubt. Should win Pac-10's this year possibly undefeated or losses only to USC.

4. Georgia
- = 2 Starters Lost: No. 1 Frazier and No. 5 Ivanov
+ = 2 Recruits Added: Ellis and two Canadians (O'Neil, Lalewicz)

Georgia was ranked way too high at the end of the year. Last year they were more like a No. 6-7 team. Georgia will have to do a shuffle in doubles and it remains to be seen if Dancivec and Y. Hyndman can raise their game to the No. 1 and No. 2 singles spots. Most likely are a No. 7-8 team

5. California
- = 2 Starters Lost: No. 2 Fodor was expected but No. 3 Henkel is not on the team. Huge blow for Cal.
+ = 3 Recruits Added: Cossou, Dillon, and Englert

Cal will be lucky to hang onto a No. 5 ranking. Even though I'm a huge fan, I can't even see the team hanging onto a top 10 ranking. Cossou and Dillon are no way in the same league as Fodor and Henkel. Doubles will be weak as usual, bottom line-up will be susceptible to its stronger Pac-1 counterparts.

6. Florida
- = Entire team intact, no losses
+ = 1 Recruit Added: Julia Cohen

Update: Boonstra is forced to sit and will join the team for the 2008-2009 season as a sophomore. Julia Cohen will take her place, not bad for a substitute. Florida always gets the top international talent so Boonstra should be pretty good. Florida should be able to regain their SEC title and move into the top 4-6.

7. Notre Dame
- = 2 Starters Lost: Thompson twins, the No. 1 and No. 2 in singles and No. 1 doubles team
+ = 1 Recruit Added: Rafael

Notre Dame will be knocked down a peg or two or three from last year. All of the players will have to step up their games in both singles and doubles. Should be ranked in the No. 7 to No. 10 range. Definitely not as strong as last year.

No. 8 Northwestern
- = 1 Starter Lost: No. 3 Prousis
+ = 1 Recruit Added: Mosolova

Mosolva has already proved she has game, taking out Babos in the semis of the Cal Invitational. Rose and Mosolva should be a good No. 1 and No. 2 singles combo. The rest of their line-up while good compared to most schools, doesn't have what it takes to compete with the very top teams. Should be ranked at the No. 10 spot, plus or minus.

No. 9 Miami
- = 1 Starter Lost: No. 1 Cohen
+ = 2 Recruits Added: Kissell, Elchkorn

Obviously a huge hole will be left by Cohen no matter what you have to say about her tennis. Miami like Florida gets top international talent, but with the absence of Cohen this will set the program back. They should hang around No. 10-12.

No. 10 USC
- = 3 Starters Lost: Ancastasiu, Matias, DeVera
+ = 4 Starters Added: Sanchez, Andrews, Kintsler, Entekhabi

Normally you would think that losing 3 players would be devastating to a team, luckily for USC its all at the bottom of the line-up and they have what appears to be on paper an outstanding freshman class. That combined a very solid No. 1 to No. 3 led by two-time NCAA runner-up Nelson and you should easily have a top 5 team.

Top 16 Predictions
1. Georgia Tech
2. UCLA
3. USC
4. Florida
5. Stanford
6. Duke
7. Georgia
8. Notre Dame
9. Northwestern
10. Baylor
11. Fresno State
12. Cal
13. William and Mary
14. North Carolina
15. Clemson
16. Miami

Georgia, Notre Dame, Northwestern are pretty close together in my opinion. There are a lot of teams that could squeeze into the top 6 to 10. Duke could make a spalsh with a strong freshman class but for some reaon they always seem to under perform. The College of William and Mary is a strong possibility with their entire team still intact. Plus there is Clemson, North Carolina, and Baylor. Fresno State should not be overlooked they are a big dark horse led by Gloria, Petuhkova, Kurcekova.

Tennisace
Oct 9th, 2007, 12:59 AM
One thing I find annoying about the rankings is that the ACC and SEC traditionally do much better in the rankings than their Pac-10 counterparts given how the ranking system works. This of course ultimately means the Pac-10 is underranked. One big example is Cal this past year who came into the team tournament ranked No. 11. And ASU which is much better than most schools is subjected to a lower ranking because they face USC, UCLA, Stanford and scheduling, they have a much more limited opportunity to rack up wins over higher ranked teams.

In the ACC and SEC the teams are ranked much closer together and they tend to trade wins more often which allows them to be ranked higher than the Pac-10 where there is a bigger disparity.

(Remember ranking depends on the current ranking of the teams you beat; if you beat the No. 1 team early in the year but they are now ranked No. 50 it counts as a No. 50 win)

urklerlay
Oct 9th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Wow -- I'm impressed by your knowledge of the college game. I only really follow Stanford, since they are located close to where I live.

I think I'll be happy if Stanford finishes w/in the top 5. Their strength will be their depth. Incoming freshman Yen crushed Hodzic at the Bank of the West qualifying this summer.

Of course, it wasn't good news when all three Stanford players lost in the first round of the Riviera/ITA All-American Championships last week.

tucker1989
Oct 9th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Tennisace, I completely agree with your qualms about the collegiate ranking system, the entire reason for Georgia's entirely inflated ranking IMO. At the NCAAs everyone was so shocked at UCLA's "cinderella" run to the final, when, in reality, they had been practically on par with Stanford and USC for the entire season. Georgia faced some competition on the East Coast in Miami, North Carolina, and GT, but nothing like their West Coast counterparts, who were playing top 10 caliber teams on an almost weekly basis.

For this coming year, I would really love to see USC do something big. I absolutely love Lindsey Nelson, and nothing would make me happier than seeing her put it all together and take the NCAA title. I think that Duke will be a real dark horse this year. Sure, they have consistently disappointed in the past, but Reka and Ellah have already shown that they are ready to compete at a high level, and, combined with their already decent line up, they could make some noise.

Tennisace
Oct 10th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Wow -- I'm impressed by your knowledge of the college game. I only really follow Stanford, since they are located close to where I live.

I think I'll be happy if Stanford finishes w/in the top 5. Their strength will be their depth. Incoming freshman Yen crushed Hodzic at the Bank of the West qualifying this summer.

Of course, it wasn't good news when all three Stanford players lost in the first round of the Riviera/ITA All-American Championships last week.

I didn't get into college tennis until 2002, but I follow it pretty closely particularly the Pac-10 and the College of William and Mary (I had friend who was on a tennis scholarship there; she played No. 2-3 singles). I'm actually from the Bay Area (went to Cal and lived very close to Stanford). College tennis is interesting given the fact that as opposed to the professional tour where its all about the individual, in NCAA team tennis its more of a numbers game. How can you get four wins?

Its interesting to see the shift from a few years ago where there was only a handful of good teams and now its much more competitive. Now to be a top 5 team you really need four solid girls as opposed to a couple years back where you could get away with two to three good girls. Georgia Tech has recently employed this strategy as well as Notre Dame. In my opinion this is why Stanford has been so successful in the past, knowing that only 8 girls can be on scholarship they go after two "blue chips" players per year. This prevents a rebuilding year and a lull in talent.

One reason Stanford is a little weaker than normal is last year in addition to Lindsay Burdette they were going to gain Vania King. But as well all know she ultimately turned them down to go pro.

I've totally gone off track but Hodzic unfortunately has been plagued with injuries all throughout her college career. I am curious to see how McVeigh and Yen will do in NCAA tennis. In my opinion the top teams will be able to beat Stanford because of Deason (who will play No. 3 to No. 5, probably No. 4), the No. 6 player (Hodzic, Yen, or McVeigh), and should be able to win the doubles point. Thus USC, Georgia Tech, etc. will just need one more win to sneak a 4-3 match win.

Tennisace
Oct 10th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Tennisace, I completely agree with your qualms about the collegiate ranking system, the entire reason for Georgia's entirely inflated ranking IMO. At the NCAAs everyone was so shocked at UCLA's "cinderella" run to the final, when, in reality, they had been practically on par with Stanford and USC for the entire season. Georgia faced some competition on the East Coast in Miami, North Carolina, and GT, but nothing like their West Coast counterparts, who were playing top 10 caliber teams on an almost weekly basis.

For this coming year, I would really love to see USC do something big. I absolutely love Lindsey Nelson, and nothing would make me happier than seeing her put it all together and take the NCAA title. I think that Duke will be a real dark horse this year. Sure, they have consistently disappointed in the past, but Reka and Ellah have already shown that they are ready to compete at a high level, and, combined with their already decent line up, they could make some noise.

Duke hasn't been a top team since 2005. The only problem with Duke this year is that they are a pretty young team with only 3 players who are a junior or senior. They can really improve their chances next year if they get a "blue chip." The only problem is that they have only one scholarship spot left if no one else leaves. Granted they should do very well and should have a much better season than last year which was pretty abysmal.

A team to watch out for the future is Virginia. As for USC, this is their best chance in a long while to win the NCAA team title. I believe last time USC was ranked No. 1 was in 2002. With Nelson graduating this year, it'll be harder to win in the subsequent years (they already have Nelson's replacment, Ramos). The one thing USC has to worry about is if the freshman can make the transition from juniors to college. Let's say they didn't start very well at the All-American tournament Kintsler, Sanchez, and Andrews went 0 for 3.

Tennisace
Oct 10th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Oh and Stanford should bounce back and dominate at the ITA Northwest Regionals. There won't be much competition for them save for Gloria, Kurcekova, Pethukova (all from Fresno State) and perhaps Venise Chan (a former Hong Kong junior) from Washington.

urklerlay
Oct 10th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Hodzic unfortunately has been plagued with injuries all throughout her college career.

Many years ago I saw Hodzic win the Mt. View Open--not knowing at the time she was still in High School. I remember thinking that there would be no stopping this girl...she's on the fast track all the way to the top.

So since she's a local girl, I'd like her to do well, but so far I've been disappointed by her performances. Yes, she has had injuries, but sometimes when I've seen her play, she's not in the right frame of mind. If some line calls go against her, I've then seen her spray balls all over the place, when she should be wiping out her opponent.

If she had some of Logars will to win - the never say die attitude - she'd be awesome! Maybe it is just confidence? I'm not expert...just my two cents.

Tennisace
Oct 11th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Many years ago I saw Hodzic win the Mt. View Open--not knowing at the time she was still in High School. I remember thinking that there would be no stopping this girl...she's on the fast track all the way to the top.

So since she's a local girl, I'd like her to do well, but so far I've been disappointed by her performances. Yes, she has had injuries, but sometimes when I've seen her play, she's not in the right frame of mind. If some line calls go against her, I've then seen her spray balls all over the place, when she should be wiping out her opponent.

If she had some of Logars will to win - the never say die attitude - she'd be awesome! Maybe it is just confidence? I'm not expert...just my two cents.

The player I was talking about eariler was Lena Sherbakov, who beat Hodzic in the 2000 CCS Girl's Singles Final and is also from the area. I never got to see Hodzic play in person, given she was always the No. 7/8 player when I was in college. Hodzic has shown flashes of brillance she beat Babos last year in a tournament but then lost to counter puncher Cristina Visico aslo from Cal. I believe the problem with Hodzic is she doesn't know how to control power. She has a hard time playing counter punchers (if you look at her record, she loses to either bigger hitters or counter punchers). I think in part to her injuries, Hodzic has never been able to develop her game in college. Some players really transform and up their level in play in college while others just stay at the same level. One Stanford player that comes to mind was Lauren Barnikow. She was a highly touted junior but really never excelled in the NCAA level.

Funny story about Logar. First of all Logar eventually got into much better shape but her freshman year she was Bartoli-esque and then some. I remember I was sitting near Sasha Podkolzina who was telling her Cal teammate who was playing Logar to move her around because she's a big fat blob or something like that. Haha.

Tennisace
Oct 11th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Although Coach Forood isn't worried yet about Stanford's abysmal All American outting. Her actions say otherwise. Stanford hasn't done this badly at All American in a long time and this weekend she's send Nguyen, Burdette, and McVeigh to the St. Mary's Classic which is a really really weak tournament. I believe Mesterova from LMU has won it the past two years, and her highest ranking ever has been No. 40. In the past, Forood has sent basically only the freshman and the non-scholarship players. I mean even Cal doesn't send its top players, rather its No. 6-9 players.

Tennisace
Oct 11th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Looks like Nguyen pulled out and Yen is in instead.

The draws are out for the tournament here, http://www.tennisinformation.com/tourny/5/1/7/8/3/2/9/default.asp

urklerlay
Oct 11th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Funny story about Logar. First of all Logar eventually got into much better shape but her freshman year she was Bartoli-esque and then some. I remember I was sitting near Sasha Podkolzina who was telling her Cal teammate who was playing Logar to move her around because she's a big fat blob or something like that. Haha.

Yeah, Logar was never in the best of shape freshmen-junior years. Lucky for her, she didn't have to be in tip top shape playing at No. 3 or lower (behind Liu and Barnes).

First time I saw her last year as No. 1, I barely recognized her! She was in great shape. Good to see she took it seriously enough to get in shape to be able to compete at the top slot.

Yelsey
Oct 14th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Although Coach Forood isn't worried yet about Stanford's abysmal All American outting. Her actions say otherwise. Stanford hasn't done this badly at All American in a long time and this weekend she's send Nguyen, Burdette, and McVeigh to the St. Mary's Classic which is a really really weak tournament. I believe Mesterova from LMU has won it the past two years, and her highest ranking ever has been No. 40. In the past, Forood has sent basically only the freshman and the non-scholarship players. I mean even Cal doesn't send its top players, rather its No. 6-9 players.

We're a young team, although I am no longer part of the crew... but the competition this year is definitely more interesting!

Tennisace
Oct 14th, 2007, 09:00 PM

Speaking of crushed, Bojana Bobusic from Cal who is their No. 8-9 player beat Yen 6-0, 6-1. It makes me wonder if Yen was really good when she beat Hodzic or if Hodzic self-imploded/was totally rusty.

Yelsey
Oct 20th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Hey guys.. you might also be interested that we recently added a junior recruit Isamarie to our team. Just thought I'd share that all with you.

Tennisace
Nov 26th, 2007, 04:12 PM
I'm going to update my analysis in a bit taking into consideration fall play. In the meantime though we got a preview of Stanford's line-up this weekened when they played Hawaii. They left some players out of singles to give everyone an opportunity to play but I imagine Durkin will play No. 1 or No. 2 and Deason will play either No. 4 or No. 5 if they put her behind Barte. Those are most definitely not the real doubles pairing either.

Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. Bihag/Kobuch (UH) def. Burdette/Deason (STAN), 9-7
2. Durkin/Hodzic (STAN) def. Sandborn/Tanaka (UH), 8-2
3. UH Forfeit

Singles (each match worth one team point)
1. No. 15 Jessica Nguyen (STAN) def. Sophie Kobuch (UH), 6-1, 6-0
2. No. 16 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) def. Chloe Bihag (UH), 6-2, 6-3
3. Hilary Barte (STAN) def. Julia Sandborn (UH), 6-2, 6-1
4. Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) def. Marie Tanaka (UH), 6-0, 6-0
5. Jennifer Yen (STAN) def. Brittany Beswick (UH), 6-0, 6-0
6. UH Forfeit

tennis_pIayer
Dec 1st, 2007, 04:05 AM

stanford should put durkin 1
nguyen #2
barte #3
burdette #4
deason #5
mcveigh #6

when they match up with georgia tech, i see them going down at all positions except maybe 3 and 4.
against ucla, they'll go down at all positoins except maybe 2-4.
against usc the same.
barte is a really excellent player who'll presenet lots of problems for college players. she should probably play #1 based on pure ability. burdgette's also good, but a lot of inconsistencies. she does poorly agsint good counterpunchers. ngyuen can be overpowered but is a good CP. durkin is a hardhitter but not very mobile and shaky serve. barte is def the best player on the team.

tennis_pIayer
Dec 1st, 2007, 04:08 AM
georgia tech and duke are also excellent teams. duke especially with the return of iyer, and 2 awesome freshman nze and zillinska. zillinska is a moonballer, so a good hitter can hit her off the court. nze i'm sure is very ahtlietc

tennis_pIayer
Dec 1st, 2007, 04:16 AM
i expect nze, zillinska and iyer to be top 3 for duke. georgia tech is solid from 1-8. nobody else is deeper. USC and ucla also sport depth.

usc i'd expect nelson, fansler, niculesu, fink, sanchez and etakhabi in that order, with andrews and kinster as backups. i just hope the soph slump doesn'thit fansler, and that fink and niculescu put in a lot of work.

tucker1989
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:46 AM
Iyer is back?

Tennisace
Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:20 AM
Iyer is back?

Iyer took a year off after her freshman year and decided to come back. It'll be interesting to see how her tennis has improved. She played No. 4 her freshman year, but unless she got really good I see her playing No. 5 behind Ellah, Reka, Elizabeth Plotkin, and Melissa Mang.

Tennisace
Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:33 AM

stanford should put durkin 1
nguyen #2
barte #3
burdette #4
deason #5
mcveigh #6

when they match up with georgia tech, i see them going down at all positions except maybe 3 and 4.
against ucla, they'll go down at all positoins except maybe 2-4.
against usc the same.
barte is a really excellent player who'll presenet lots of problems for college players. she should probably play #1 based on pure ability. burdgette's also good, but a lot of inconsistencies. she does poorly agsint good counterpunchers. ngyuen can be overpowered but is a good CP. durkin is a hardhitter but not very mobile and shaky serve. barte is def the best player on the team.

I doubt Coach Lele will allow Barte to play so high in the line-up. She's a firm believer in placing her lower classmen lower on the line-up and have them work their way up as they get older. The lone exception of course was Amber Liu, who came in with exceptional junior credentials. When I saw Barte play Erakovic at the US Open qualies I wasn't impressed. Her groundies seemed to lack depth and her serve was kind of weak. Granted she does have a nice all-around game. I would be surprised if Barte played higher than No. 3.

UCLA's strength will definitely be their No. 4-6 line-up. For top schools the trend is no longer to have 3 top players but rather a stronger bottom line-up so that whatever happens on top the bottom players can carry the win. I expect it to be No. 1 Zalameda, No. 2 Lin, No. 3 Schnack, No. 4 Remynse, No. 5/6 Joelson/McGoodwin/Lumpkin. I would love to see a rematch with Georgia Tech given that both teams are solid up and down the line-up.

Tennisace
Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:38 AM
i expect nze, zillinska and iyer to be top 3 for duke. georgia tech is solid from 1-8. nobody else is deeper. USC and ucla also sport depth.

usc i'd expect nelson, fansler, niculesu, fink, sanchez and etakhabi in that order, with andrews and kinster as backups. i just hope the soph slump doesn'thit fansler, and that fink and niculescu put in a lot of work.

Georgia Tech is crazy. I expect No. 1 Miller, No. 2 McDowell, No. 3 Johansson, No. 4 Flower, No. 5 Striplin, No. 6 Hickey. And they have very solid doubles combinations from No. 1 to No. 3.

The USC freshman had a slightly dissapointing fall season in my opinion. I think UCLA is slightly stronger though.

The problem with Duke is they have a weaker No. 5 and 6 than most elite teams, which is already two points.

Tennisace
Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:50 AM
In my opinion there are 4 tiers in the top 16 teams as I have predicted. The 1-2 range has 6 top players, the 3-5 has slightly weaker singles and doubles line-up, the 6-11 range has 3-4 top players and the 12-16 range has 2 top players.

1. Georgia Tech
2. UCLA

3. USC
4. Florida
5. Stanford

6. Duke
7. Georgia
8. Notre Dame
9. Northwestern
10. Baylor
11. Fresno State

12. Cal
13. William and Mary
14. North Carolina
15. Clemson
16. Miami

tennis_pIayer
Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:21 AM
The USC freshmen sanchez and etahkabhi wasn't that disappointing, but definitely not breakout like fansler and fink had in theirs. etahkabi pushed remynse to 3 very tight sets. Sanchez won the las vegas tournament at her seed very easily. Niculescu is supposed to be very good. her sister is top 200 in the world.

barte's groundies are weaker, but her serve has GREAT spin, and people in college don't hit cold winners like they do in the pros. it'll be very hard for ppl to hit winners on her. UCLA players aren't that great.

Tennisace
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Florida's 6 foot freshman Boonstra is sitting out her freshman year (most likely due to eligibility reasons). She will join the team for the 2008-2009 season as a sophomore.

Julia Cohen is added to the roster. She should easily play No. 1 or No. 2 singles.

urklerlay
Jan 8th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Hey guys,

are you sure about Hilary Barte? Here's the latest roster photo from the stanford website...Hillary is tiny little thing! Probably as tall as Jessica but even more slight. I trust you guys, but she doesn't really have what I would call an atheletic build...not from this photo anyway. (first row, center)

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/4346/stanwtennis0708teamwh0.th.jpg (http://img129.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stanwtennis0708teamwh0.jpg)

Tennisace
Jan 12th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Hey guys,

are you sure about Hilary Barte? Here's the latest roster photo from the stanford website...Hillary is tiny little thing! Probably as tall as Jessica but even more slight. I trust you guys, but she doesn't really have what I would call an atheletic build...not from this photo anyway. (first row, center)

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/4346/stanwtennis0708teamwh0.th.jpg (http://img129.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stanwtennis0708teamwh0.jpg)

Barte is very tiny. I saw her play in the US Open qualies against Erakovic. From what I remember her serve was only okay (on that day she wasn't getting many first serves in and had to spin in the second serve). Her groundies lacked depth (most landed in the service box) but she did have a good sense of coming into the net. Granted it's hard to judge someone's complete game from one match, her talent alone she keep her in the top 40 of the NCAA.