PDA

View Full Version : SFX Represents Russian Players

~SunFlower~
Jul 17th, 2002, 04:57 AM
SFX Represents Russian Players

By Richard Pagliaro
07/16/2002

Russian women are rising in the rankings and representation. SFX Sports management and Novocom, a Russian political consulting firm, have formed an alliance to represent Russian teenage tennis players Vera Zvonareva and Anna Bastrikova. :)

Currently ranked No. 65 on the WTA Tour rankings, the 17-year Zvonareva is a two-time Orange Bowl champion whose strong strokes and intensity make her a player to watch. As a qualifier, Zvonareva reached the French Open fourth round last month before falling to eventual-champion Serena Williams 4-6, 6-0, 6-1. The 16-year-old Bastrikova is ranked 20th in the ITF junior girls rankings.

According to a recent report in the SportsBusiness Journal written by Daniel Kaplan, in the new alliance, SFX will market players outside of Russia, while Novocom's newly-formed sports group will handling marketing inside of Russia. SFX's parent company, Clear Channel, maintains a Moscow office. Any profits made will be split equally between SFX and Novocom.

"Through Clean Channel we are excited about trying to use our resources in Russia and really discover and explore how we could be more effective opening new doors," Ken Meyerson, head of SFX's tennis group, told Kaplan in the SportsBusiness Journal story.

Go gals, Anna B and Vera Z! ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 17th, 2002, 10:38 AM
go Anna B, she definately needs to channel her ability into results

Vera is making a good mark already :)

the cat
Jul 17th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the story, Sharky! :kiss: Where did you find this story?

I'm glad Vera Z. and Anna B. have representation. But where is IMG in all of this? And Octagon, too?

Cassius
Jul 18th, 2002, 09:41 AM
CAT, it seems like Octagon and IMG were slow off the mark.
I'm glad Octagon haven't got their claws into these girls, but I don't know why IMG let themselves be beaten. Maybe because of their girl Sharapova?:confused:

the cat
Jul 18th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Cassius, Maria Sharapova's agent told me that IMG recently signed Maria Kirilenko. So there are aware of other Russian girls. But maybe there are only aware of Russian girls named Maria! ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 18th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Max said he was pretty impressed with her at Wimbledon

and she did nearly beat her according to most sources, and she should have.
that 7th game went on for 15 mins and proved crucial.

Maria K has a very good game, she blasted more winners by Sharky there as well.

the cat
Jul 18th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Eggy, there were no stats on the Masha versus Masha Wimbledon Girls semifinal match. How do you know Maria K had more winners?

Eggy, have you talked to Max Eisenbud, too? Max told me that he thought Maria Kirilenko was a fighter and a great shotmaker. And he thought she could be a great player! :eek: I hope he's right about both Maria's ability! :D

Eggy, how can you say Kirilenko should have beaten Sharapova? Sharapova won the first six games of the match, and the last five games of the match! :eek: Now that's impressive! :bounce: I know they had a 20 point game at 3 all in the third. Wow! Sharapova was the more deserving winner, because she ran away with the match in the beginning and at the end.

Did you get any tape info on the Girls semi's or finals? Maybe Cassius would know.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 18th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Cat ...... there were stats
you have to goto player profiles on competitors list and completed matches from there
not scoreboard and matches completed

Girls' Singles

Choose a set score for detailed statistics. 1 2 3

Maria Sharapova (RUS) 6 3 6
Maria Kirilenko (RUS) 0 6 3
Elapsed Time by Set:

Match Summary

Sharapova (RUS) Kirilenko (RUS)

1st Serve % 46 of 90 = 51 % 50 of 75 = 67 %

Aces 2 0

Double Faults 2 5

Unforced Errors 34 51

Winning % on 1st Serve 34 of 46 = 74 % 29 of 50 = 58 %

Winning % on 2nd Serve 18 of 44 = 41 % 9 of 25 = 36 %

Winners (Including Service) 12 23

Receiving Points Won 37 of 75 = 49 % 38 of 90 = 42 %

Break Point Conversions 6 of 11 = 55 % 3 of 8 = 38 %

Net Approaches 8 of 13 = 62 % 13 of 22 = 59 %

Total Points Won 89 76

Even in the set Sharaova won 6-0, Kirilenko hit 6 winners to 5

the cat
Jul 18th, 2002, 07:56 PM
But Eggy, you know that in women's tennis, it's all about the UE's! :eek: Not the winners.

Sharapova won almost all of the important statistical categories. Thus, she won the match.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 18th, 2002, 08:51 PM
Yes i know........ but it shows that Maria K was the one who was dictacting most/all the points.

the cat
Jul 18th, 2002, 11:54 PM
Well then, that's a good sign for Kirilenko! :D

Eggy, how tall do you think Masha K is? :confused:

Jordan.
Jul 19th, 2002, 12:21 AM
:bounce: Thanks SFX :kiss:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 19th, 2002, 03:09 AM
Maria was about 5'5, i'm sure she's grown since those last stats were put up
http://www.itfjuniors.com/scripts/bios/bio.asp?ID=100012188

the cat
Jul 19th, 2002, 11:53 AM
I've seen those stats before, Eggy. But I'm hoping Maria K. will be about at;least 5'8" tall when she's done growing. Otherwise it's very hard to achieve anything significant in women's tennis if the player is about 5'5" tall. :(

Hopefully Maria K. has a couple more years and a couple more inches to grow! :D

Cassius
Jul 19th, 2002, 09:12 PM
But I'm hoping Maria K. will be about at least 5'8"
If the other Russian girls are anything to go by, she will reach 5foot8;).