Stuttgart 70
Moscow 300
Zurich 1
Tournaments 11

Grand Total 2767

Rank #5
Points till #4 394
Points till #1 3163

Serena has done really well considering that she would still be at #5 without Hobart, Charleston, Zurich which leaves her at just 8 tournaments.

She has now overtaken Maria and is on the verge of top 4 for 2008 which will help her to meet Henin at semi's onwards...

I will update this thread whenever I can. :help: for the distance to no.1 especially considering Justine has nothing to defend at AO, it keeps increasing!

2moretogo
Oct 14th, 2007, 01:56 AM
(bump)

yeah, but assuming that Serena can play a full winter/spring schedule instead of coming back from injuries/fitness it should be a good year. Besides, Serena is to AO, as Justine is to FO, as Venus is to Wimbledon. (Though this could get interesting with the new changes to the surface down under)

also, I'm not a ranking person, but can't wait for the Monday update showing Serena as #6.

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 14th, 2007, 02:43 AM
Serena at #6 :woohoo: hopefully she can move up some more and try to avoid JH till the finals....i want serena to slaughter her proper in the finals :devil:

williamsluva
Oct 14th, 2007, 04:23 AM
(bump)

yeah, but assuming that Serena can play a full winter/spring schedule instead of coming back from injuries/fitness it should be a good year. Besides, Serena is to AO, as Justine is to FO, as Venus is to Wimbledon. (Though this could get interesting with the new changes to the surface down under)

also, I'm not a ranking person, but can't wait for the Monday update showing Serena as #6.

Im worried about the Aussie a little bit cos im not sure if will still be that same true bounce it used to be but it will be faster, henin is like the swiss miss, she likes to use the pace of the court, however the new surface means venus will only lose if shes in really bad form early on, or meets serena, henin or jankovic and doesnt bring her a game (thats IF she loses otherwise id say lock in for the quarters, highly likely semi, quite possible finalist).

They said its gonna be more like the uso (so Rafa will no longer be a factor there... hmmm isnt that a coincidence), best of luck rena.

Watching
Oct 18th, 2007, 02:19 PM
*updated*

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 18th, 2007, 02:42 PM
serena should be moving up again next week :banana:

2moretogo
Oct 18th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Im worried about the Aussie a little bit cos im not sure if will still be that same true bounce it used to be but it will be faster, henin is like the swiss miss, she likes to use the pace of the court, however the new surface means venus will only lose if shes in really bad form early on, or meets serena, henin or jankovic and doesnt bring her a game (thats IF she loses otherwise id say lock in for the quarters, highly likely semi, quite possible finalist).

They said its gonna be more like the uso (so Rafa will no longer be a factor there... hmmm isnt that a coincidence), best of luck rena.

Yeah, I think it should be interesting but you know the Aussies always say that the surface is different every year and it still ends up playing the same (I think it is because the sun literally bakes the court). My concern with this new surface is that they said the changes were made so that the court doesn't become sticky, ie: as more matches are played the surface gets substantially slower over the course of the tourney. I dunno if this means that the "bounce" will be similar but it definately should mean that a player who uses the pace of the court well isn't as a much of a disadvantage as a power player. HOWEVER, it also means that AO could become a "servers wet dream" so you know in the end it could help Serena substantially especially with that kick serve.

As far as Rafa, well only time will tell, that surface punishes those who play far from the baseline. I would like to see him change his strategy some on this surface particularly.

Watching
Oct 22nd, 2007, 05:26 PM
*updated*

Diesel
Oct 22nd, 2007, 06:20 PM
:) Funny year. She's played the tournaments but hasn't produced the results we all wanted, but she's compensated with her rise in ranking.

Watching
Oct 22nd, 2007, 07:46 PM
it's funny you should say that but 2007 is arguably Serena's third best year without YEC played yet.

02-03 were obviously the top 2 but the only competition for third place is 99 really when her slam perofrmances outside the US weren't great.

PatrickRyan
Oct 22nd, 2007, 09:50 PM
It says #6 on the Wta Tour web site :shrug:

doni1212
Oct 23rd, 2007, 01:07 AM
It says #6 on the Wta Tour web site :shrug:

Yeah, what's up with that? Is she #5 or #6?

2moretogo
Oct 23rd, 2007, 02:40 AM
I think she'll be #5 next week after the Linz results?

urock34
Oct 23rd, 2007, 03:36 AM
maria was supposed to drop below serena after not defending zurich.....how weird..? she will surely drop down once she loses her points from linz seeing how she pulled out

Resident Evil
Oct 23rd, 2007, 03:46 AM
Maybe someone in WTA is cheating for Maria?

Watching
Oct 23rd, 2007, 06:37 AM
Sorry I was impatient and dropped Maria's Linz points already seen as Serena can't go down this week anyway.

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 23rd, 2007, 01:29 PM
serena will be #5 next week as Linz points are coming off.... :) keep going up serena....#1 is soon there :banana:

doni1212
Oct 23rd, 2007, 05:18 PM
Ok, but shouldn't Maria lose points from last week? It doesn't look like she did, :shrug:

doni1212
Oct 23rd, 2007, 05:24 PM
Oh, and if Chakvetdaze goes far in Linz, won't she be number 5 next week b/c she'll pass Serena?

Watching
Oct 23rd, 2007, 06:18 PM
lol i already took of Sharapovas Zurich points before and Linz as well now. Chakvetadze has no way to pass her i don't think.

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 24th, 2007, 03:22 AM
serena isn't losing any....so serena will definitely be #5