PDA

View Full Version : Moscow Cheering Thread!!!

Watching
Oct 6th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Serena is entered into the Ladies Kremlin Cup (Tier I) next week at Moscow. She received a wildcard but is seeded 4th and thus get's a bye! This should hopefully encourage her to go after a disappointing loss in Stuttgart!

There are 500 ranking points available and an appearance would surely secure her YEC spot for good. She hasn't been playing well recently but hopefully her commitment to 'fall' tournaments shows she wants matchplay atleast!

Train hard Serena, show some footwork and get revenge over Sveta please. Also please don't withdraw!

Now take the title!

Olórin
Oct 6th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Serena should definitely play here. She could do with the match practice. Go Serena :bounce:

doni1212
Oct 6th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Come on Serena!!! Take this title!

Lulu.
Oct 6th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Good luck Serena. Play your game and you will win. :yeah:

Jeff
Oct 6th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I think Serena is actually going to play here. I actually saw a pig just fly by my house.

kadirelf
Oct 6th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Good Luck Serena go go go and win

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 7th, 2007, 12:15 AM
come on Serena!!! avenge that stuttgart loss!!!

dulkogii
Oct 7th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Goo serena!

win please!

winone23
Oct 7th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Serena play your best!

aisha
Oct 7th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Try not to get the tar beat out of you! :p :runs and hides:

bake cell
Oct 7th, 2007, 01:44 PM
:wavey: Serena needs to make the most of her destiny and win, because losing is such a contagious desease, you would think she really is a lame ass loser. He that endures to the end as Powerful challengers would declare. Loser this, and loser that. Had this and had that. Then end up losing it all.

What profits a man, so winning has to be the means.:)

Craigy
Oct 7th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Good luck Serena. No reason why you can't win here. :D

PatrickRyan
Oct 7th, 2007, 02:29 PM
I really hopse she improves her footwork and movement.

Mina Vagante
Oct 7th, 2007, 07:07 PM
She will get revenge over Sveta in the Semi's.

RichyRena
Oct 7th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Go On Serena!!! You will win this title! and show kuznetsova it was a 1 off :D

Bartosh
Oct 8th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Good Luck Serena! :bounce: Win this title and get a revange over Kuzi!

Go Rena!!

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 8th, 2007, 10:52 PM
anyone know when her first match is?? tomorrow or wednesday?

EDIT: she's playing her first match on wednesday :D

dulkogii
Oct 8th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Goo serena!

you can do it

darrinbaker00
Oct 9th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Serena should definitely play here. She could do with the match practice. Go Serena :bounce:
Can someone please tell me what "match practice" is? :shrug:

Watching
Oct 9th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Her match is not until THursday wtf organifsers get your act together? So she has to play 4 days in a row

Olórin
Oct 9th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Can someone please tell me what "match practice" is? :shrug:

Yes I can. The more matches you play on the WTAtour the more "match practice," you gain.

dulkogii
Oct 10th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Thursday, October 11, 2007

Centre (from 11.00hrs)
1. S.Williams vs. Perebiynis
2. ATP: Berrer vs. Youzhny (NB 13.00hrs)
3. Zvonareva vs. A.Radwanska (NB 15.00hrs)
4. Safina vs. Chakvetadze (NB 16.30hrs)
5. ATP: [Mahut or Andreev] vs. Safin (NB 18.00hrs)
6. ATP: Davydenko vs. Lapentti

Craigy
Oct 10th, 2007, 02:59 PM
:( I'll not see it.

PatrickRyan
Oct 10th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Wow so many top players went out today! :eek: The only one in the way is Sveta.

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 11th, 2007, 01:15 AM
wth is she doing playing on thursday for her 2nd rd!!!!! stupid organisers!!! :fiery:

StarDuvallGrant
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:22 AM
:clap2: Come on Serena!

Watching
Oct 11th, 2007, 10:29 AM
7-5 6-4 not great tennis but she still managed a straight sets win into the quarters! Please play better now..

b_o_r
Oct 11th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I wonder is her groin bothering her. That is an unusal score for a Serena 1st match since she played last week. Her serve seems to have deserted :help:

Olórin
Oct 11th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I really don't know what to think, but she can beat Nicole though. She needs to get as many points as possible imo.

doni1212
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Come on Serena, :bounce: !!!

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:54 PM
great going....winning when not playing your best is the mark of a champion...something many others on tour can't do....keep going Serena....make the semis for the 1st time since Miami lol

Watching
Oct 11th, 2007, 05:12 PM
If she beats Nicole she overtakes Chakvedatze in the rankings. I think..:s

urock34
Oct 12th, 2007, 12:58 AM
does anyone know what time serena plays eastern time?

-VSR-
Oct 12th, 2007, 01:51 AM
I think... around 10 est maybe. Correct me if im wrong.

doni1212
Oct 12th, 2007, 02:12 AM
I thought it was 8:30.

urock34
Oct 12th, 2007, 02:20 AM
ahh so i looked it up and there are seriously like 5 different time zones in moscow
does anyone know the time fore sure cause i wana know what time i need to get up to watch it. thanks

doni1212
Oct 12th, 2007, 03:14 AM
I'm pretty sure it's 8:30

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 12th, 2007, 04:02 AM
hmmm if you check the oop and scores thread just go from when play starts and count

-VSR-
Oct 12th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Well I think it's 9:30, but I'm prob wrong. I said 10:00 because some of the matches will last longer and she'll have to warm up. :lol:

Oh well. I probably won't be up/here for the match anyway. Hope she wins. :D

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 12th, 2007, 11:58 AM
i'm here for the match!!! need as much people to support her as we can as we are in the minority!! come on Serena!!!

matty
Oct 12th, 2007, 02:29 PM
She looks a bit tired...please break back Serena!

matty
Oct 12th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Stay strong Serena, we're cheering for you!

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 12th, 2007, 03:02 PM
she wins!!!!! serena wins 6-4 7-6(7) now on to the semis to face kuzzy...hopefully she can win that match and move on to the final and win her first title since miami....her serve was on for most of the match though.....11 aces....4 df that could have been avoided though.....hope she is up for tomorrow's match :)

2moretogo
Oct 12th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I am really glad that she was able to win today!!! Wasn't the best tennis, but it was a win and I get to see live tennis tomorrow on tv. See y'all with coffee and croissants in the morning!

Craigy
Oct 12th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Great fight from Serena!

2moretogo
Oct 12th, 2007, 03:35 PM
i'm here for the match!!! need as much people to support her as we can as we are in the minority!! come on Serena!!!

We you @ the stadium? From the livefeed it sounded as if the crowd was behind Serena cheering her on, but perhaps that was her cheering section? Anyhoo, it sounded like a great atmosphere for both women.

Olórin
Oct 12th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Sign of champion to win in straights when not even at half of your capacity :worship:

Please pull one out of the hat tomorrow Serena! :unsure:

Watching
Oct 12th, 2007, 04:25 PM
new #6 in the world...1 step at a time to no.1 could easily end 2007 no.5 if not higher with a great yec

Olórin
Oct 12th, 2007, 04:28 PM
If Serena can do well at the Aus, and she stays healthy, her ranking is only going to soar next year. :D

doni1212
Oct 12th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Come on Serena, :bounce:
Take revenge on Kuzzy!!!

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 12th, 2007, 04:38 PM
hope she can end this year top 5....she's on second tomorrow and play starts at 1....

to the question....no i'm not in russia lol.....far far far from....i meant i'd be in the livescore section of the site lol

Watching
Oct 12th, 2007, 04:43 PM
btw does anyone think she is actually going to play zurich as well? before i would have been certain she wouldnt but recently she has been commited?

Olórin
Oct 12th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Well most people predicted that Serena wouldn't play at all after the US Open, and she's been playing for the past two weeks, so I hope so.....

I think she should play in Zurich though, win or lose here. As she wants to be in the best form possible for the YEC and two possible meetings with Justine and one with Venus also!

williams.i.am
Oct 12th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Come on Serena, :bounce:
Take revenge on Kuzzy!!!

that's what i'm talkin about! spank her gurl! :lol:

winone23
Oct 12th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Keep going Serena!!

2moretogo
Oct 12th, 2007, 07:38 PM
hope she can end this year top 5....she's on second tomorrow and play starts at 1....

to the question....no i'm not in russia lol.....far far far from....i meant i'd be in the livescore section of the site lol

Oh ok, I was confused... I'll try and support in the livescore section.

Oct 12th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Can she get any higher by winning the Kremlin Cup?

Watching
Oct 12th, 2007, 08:24 PM
no but if she won and next week had a decent result in zurich whilst maria didn't play (or lost early) then she would become no.5 the following monday.

Watching
Oct 12th, 2007, 08:24 PM
no but if she won and next week had a decent result in zurich whilst maria didn't play (or lost early) then she would become no.5 the following monday.

2moretogo
Oct 13th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Sounds like she's ready...

MOSCOW (AP) -Serena Williams and Svetlana Kuznetsova won Friday, and the two will face each other in the Kremlin Cup semifinals.

Williams beat eighth-seeded Nicole Vaidisova of the Czech Republic 6-4, 7-6 (7), and the top-seeded Kuznetsova defeated Vera Dushevina 6-2, 6-2.

Last Friday, Kuznetsova beat Williams in the quarterfinals of the Porsche GP in Stuttgart, Germany.

``(In Stuttgart ) she served really well,'' Williams said. ``I expect her to serve well again. I just feel like I have to be tough going into it. It's going to be a good match regardless.''
Elena Dementieva of Russia reached the semifinals at the Kremlin Cup for the fifth straight time, beating Belarusian teenager Victoria Azarenka 7-6 (4), 6-2. She will next play Dinara Safina, who eliminated Vera Zvonareva 6-2, 3-6, 6-3.

On the men's side, defending champion Nikolay Davydenko reached the semifinals by beating Igor Andreev 7-5, 7-5. Janko Tipsarevic, Paul-Henri Mathieu and Michael Berrer also advanced.

Tipsarevic beat Radek Stepanek of the Czech Republic 6-4, 3-6, 6-3, Mathieu eliminated Florent Serra of France 6-3, 6-3 and eighth-seeded Philipp Kohlschreiber retired with a back injury after losing the first set to Berrer 6-3.

Williams pressured Vaidisova from the start and didn't allow the Czech to hold her serve without being taken to deuce or facing a break point until the fifth game of the second set.

In the eighth game, Williams was broken and trailed 5-3, but she broke back and saved a set point on a deuce in the 12th game to force a tiebreaker.

Vaidisova saved three match points in the tiebreaker before netting a forehand to lose the match.

``I feel like I served really well and it was a key point,'' Williams said.

Williams, an eight-time Grand Slam champion, is playing in Moscow for the first time in a decade. In 1997, the 16-year-old Williams qualified and lost in the first round when she was ranked 448th. Her sister Venus reached quarterfinals that year and the semifinals in 1998.

``It will be awesome if I win here,'' the seventh-ranked Williams said. ``I don't think Venus has won here before, so I would have one up on her and I feel really good about that.''

Kuznetsova, the 2004 U.S. Open champion, won five consecutive games in each set and sealed the victory with an overhead smash.

``Tomorrow it will be a tough match,'' Kuznetsova said of her first Kremlin Cup semifinal match. ``Williams is improving her form and is tough at the end of the season.''
Dementieva, the runner-up in 2001 and 2004, won four consecutive games in the second set. She had five aces.

The 18-year-old Azarenka, who upset second-seeded Maria Sharapova in the second round, never threatened Dementieva.

Safina, the sister of Marat Safin, easily won the first set and was level at 3-3 in the second before losing three straight games. The 17th-ranked Russian broke twice in the third set to advance to her second semifinal match in her hometown. She lost to eventual champion Mary Pierce in 2005.

Safina upset Martina Hingis in the final of the Australian Women's Hardcourt in January for her fifth career title.

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 13th, 2007, 02:34 AM
people say she doesn't give credit :rolleyes: but i guess kuzzy is her friend so she doesn't mind :p

Watching
Oct 13th, 2007, 12:12 PM
7-6 6-1 wahoo in the final. played really well. clean hitting and great movement. good serving! take the title

2moretogo
Oct 13th, 2007, 12:17 PM
I was about to say, she looked ready... this new look Lena D is going to have a big test tomorrow.

RichyRena
Oct 13th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Yayyy In another final!!!! She better just raise her game again when she needs to, and put loads of pressure on dementieva's serve, even tho she has been serving well it should be easy to make her produce a handful of DF. So good luck serena cant wait to see you winning the title.

Olórin
Oct 13th, 2007, 01:06 PM
:bounce:

Natalicious
Oct 13th, 2007, 01:41 PM
her serve is awesome atm :worship:

good luck against lena plz beat her :devil:

doni1212
Oct 13th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Good job, Serena!!!!
One more for the title!!!!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 13th, 2007, 04:11 PM
come on Serena!!!! :banana: you are closer than ever now to title #3 of the season....produce some more amazing tennis and it is yours....1 GS and a couple tier I titles..not bad at all Ms Williams after last season :D....maybe it is better that she plays days in a row and not have the day off so she doesn't break her stride?? maybe that was her undoing last week before the kuzzy match....the matches are doing her a world of good though before the YEC...get that confidence back up by winning the title now Serena :D

williams.i.am
Oct 13th, 2007, 07:10 PM
get this serena! i'm so glad you playin dementieva cuz she'll put up a fight but in the end you know you can take miss russia DOWWWNNNN! :lol:

The Daviator
Oct 13th, 2007, 08:58 PM
'M' is a lucky letter for Serena - Melbourne, Miami and now Moscow :devil: Good luck tomorrow :bounce:

StarDuvallGrant
Oct 13th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Yes, in the final!

Lulu.
Oct 13th, 2007, 10:31 PM
:woohoo:

Win the title Rena. :D

Craigy
Oct 13th, 2007, 10:31 PM
'M' is a lucky letter for Serena - Melbourne, Miami and now Moscow :devil: Good luck tomorrow :bounce:

And then Madrid! :drool:

doni1212
Oct 13th, 2007, 11:42 PM

:lol: :yeah:

vettipooh
Oct 14th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Good luck to Rena tomorrow. She can win this title by staying very focused and keeping up the great serving she displayed today. Go Rena!! We're rooting for you!! :bounce:

winone23
Oct 14th, 2007, 01:08 AM
take the title Serena!!!

2moretogo
Oct 14th, 2007, 01:52 AM

Lovely...:kiss: Tomorrow should be interesting, Lena playing with a lot of confidence, but though I like Dina, she is not as good as a returner as Serena.

Oh, becuase I didn't see a thread for this... here is an article with some Serena quotes...

Serena Williams to play Dementieva and Davydenko to face Mathieu in Kremlin Cup finals
10/13/2007 11:48:00 AM

MOSCOW (AP) -Serena Williams and Elena Dementieva advanced to the final of the Kremlin Cup on Saturday.

Williams beat top-seeded Svetlana Kuznetsova 7-6 (2), 6-1, and Dementieva eliminated fellow Russian Dinara Safina 6-1, 6-0.

``It definitely was not easy,'' Williams said. ``It was a tough first set ... I was playing a really good player and I was enjoying it. It was really cool.''
In the men's semifinals, defending champion Nikolay Davydenko beat Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia 7-6 (6), 6-1, and Paul-Henri Mathieu of France downed Michael Berrer of Germany 7-5, 6-3.

Williams put early pressure on the No. 2-ranked Kuznetsova, breaking her in the third game of the first set. But Kuznetsova leveled at 4-4 after Williams netted an easy forehand on the third break point.

Williams dominated the tiebreaker, going up 3-0 and 6-1 before clinching the first set.

The No. 7-ranked Williams then broke Kuznetsova in the second and fifth games of the second set.

``The match was decided in the first set,'' said Kuznetsova, the 2004 U.S. Open winner who was playing in her 300th professional match. ``I failed to play right on several key points and allowed Serena to play too comfortably.''
Williams has not dropped a set on the way to her third final this season. The eight-time Grand Slam champion is playing in Moscow for the first time in a decade. In 1997 the then 16-year-old qualified and lost in the first round when she was ranked 448th.
Dementieva, the 2001 and 2004 runner-up, had little trouble against an erratic Safina. After trading breaks early in the first set, Dementieva won eleven consecutive games.

``I'm not the favorite in tomorrow's final since I have never managed to beat Serena,'' she said. ``But for me it's a good chance for revenge.''

In their first matchup, Tipsarevic, ranked 68th, saved three break points against top-seeded Davydenko in the 11th game of the first set to force a tiebreaker. But the fourth-ranked Russian had little trouble in the second set, winning five consecutive games.

``It was very tough to take the first set,'' Davydenko said. ``I made too many mistakes.''

Fourth-seeded Mathieu broke Berrer in the 12th game of the first set, and the 2002 Kremlin Cup champion also broke in the eighth game of the second.

Copyright © 2007 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 14th, 2007, 02:37 AM
yea i read that one on the msn site....i want to see her interview....

williamsluva
Oct 14th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Shes never lost a set to her, shes unbeaten in finals this year against shara and henin no less. Shes not playing as well as then but shes getting there and shes determined to win, Also Dementieva struggled in pretty much all of her service games. It was really a very close, tough battle i think it went for 1:20 so thats a long match considering the score, quite a few double faults, serena just has to watch out that the crowd doesnt get to her and make sure she keeps the rallies short cos dementieva can and will out hit her because she just goes for every shot and is a pretty consistent big hitter. Have her run to her backhand side alot, take away her weapon, keep her moving although seh can do a bit of damage with the running forehand shes nowhere near as effective and she wont even get the ball back if shes running to her backhand, she hasnt really got a net game and slamming returns right back to her will really un nerve her.

Il Primo!
Oct 14th, 2007, 07:57 AM
I expect an easy win for Reena!Allez

Mr.Kardashian
Oct 14th, 2007, 09:01 AM
i like elena D. but im expecting serena to win this in straight sets.... just a random observation but serena won Melbourne and Miami and if the letter "M" trend continues will win Moscow and Madrid! lol. GO REE

williamsluva
Oct 14th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Oh sh!!!!Ttt she dropped the bundle after a great lead 7-5 winning the first set, only won 10 points in the second TEN F@#$ING POINTS AND NO POINTS WON ON SECOND SERVE, SHE BARELY WON 4 POINTS ON DEMENTIA'S SERVE.

Now shes again lost a 1-0 break to go back to 1-1 in the 3rd!!! STOP IT SERENA!!!! FOCUS FIGHT AND BELIEVE.

Craigy
Oct 14th, 2007, 11:38 AM
When is she going to get 100% fit?

williamsluva
Oct 14th, 2007, 11:44 AM
F!@# F!@#ING HELL SHE. GOD DAMNIT SERENA YOU LET THE WHOLE DAMN THING GO F@#$ COULDNT EVEN HOLD HER F@#$ING SERVE AND COULDNT BREAK BLOODY ELENA "NO SERVE" DEMENTIEVA.

This is the same damn reason she lost to Henin and Kuznetsova, she cant damn well run and hit offensive shots on the run. F!@#, she cant win free points either and she was just in a hitting battle with that bimbo, and that bimbo strikes the ball better than serena does right now and she has better footwork.

This is just proof that shes not the same person, she was constantly on the back foot, she was hammered, just Hammered she had her a$$ handed to her and theres no 2 ways about it, anyone whos gonna come up with that "oh she made the finals" crap can go stuff it, It would have been fine for her to lose but the manner in which she lost 6-1 6-1 losing serve 7 or 8 times and only managing to break dementieva once in each of those sets and not holding serve, THAT is disturbing.

Ok ok im just really f@#$ing pi$$ed off right now, you can just imagine all those muthaf!@#ing hater sons of b!tches having the time of their lives now, they will all crawl out from the dark holes they hid in and start their $hit. F!@# Why why why!? She cant win the long points any more, her technique always breaks down, and these girls are now returning her serve with ease, After this loss I dont think she has a chance in madrid you wanna know why?? Cos shes no longer able to win cheap or easy points (with her serve) (she was winning 1/7 first serve points at 1 time in the match), and she may be able to buckle down and focus for a match as she did in the semis, heck she may do it for several matches against those top players, but She wont be able to keep focussed and have to fight for EVERY point in every match against girls like Venus, Jankovic, Ivanovic, even Sharapova, and most of all Henin....

Whats going on why does her game look so laboured? I really gotta wonder if shes still using natural gut cos the gap between the pro-hurricane/ luxilon, and all the hybrid strings in comparison to the natural gut is quite major, it would make sense considering the lack of clearance on all her shots, shes almost hitting ever error INTO THE NET shes simply hitting flat and its not like she hits cleanly (Because of her lack of confidence and match practice) ala Davenport or agassi, and thats a major major problem when shes not moving her legs (foot work) to get set up for her shots.

youizahoe
Oct 14th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I've never been so disappointed in Serena... Something was clearly wrong today, like she just handed over the match from the beginning of the second set. I was wondering where the fighting mentality was like at the australian open, where she defeated a way tougher player (Petrova) when she was behind... Now she had a set, but she just totally blew it...

I think it would have been partitaly caused by her leg? She wasn't hitting as well like in the first set when running around the court. And she didn't seem to be as fierce on her serve like in the first set...

Did anyone notice this too?

Anyway I hope she'll be playing in zurich and putting Dementieva back on earth, because she didn't deserve to win at all... She just got lucky with Serena's 59 errors...

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 14th, 2007, 11:50 AM
i think she's almost there craig...but i think it's more her consistency which i think doesn't have anything to do with her fitness....right now i think its all in her head....plz don't play like that anymore Serena lol....and btw williamsluva...wth!!! yea she played like crap but like everyone she can have an off day and unfortunately she had one now and in a most horrid fashion.....pessimist much??

Craigy
Oct 14th, 2007, 11:52 AM
i think she's almost there craig...but i think it's more her consistency which i think doesn't have anything to do with her fitness....right now i think its all in her head....plz don't play like that anymore Serena lol....and btw williamsluva...wth!!! yea she played like crap but like everyone she can have an off day and unfortunately she had one now and in a most horrid fashion.....pessimist much??

I don't know if anyone noticed, but I saw her knee was bothering her. She wasn't pushing up to her serve. She wasn't moving. She wasn't bending her knees etc.

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 14th, 2007, 11:53 AM
wow 59 errors :eek: if she plays zurich which i hope she does but think she won't cause she doesn't get a bye....the kinks will come out quicker in match play....rest up for the YEC serena...don't hurt yourself anymore than you already are

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 14th, 2007, 11:54 AM
i didn't watch it...but i can only assume whatever is going on with her leg is from the thigh she has strapped...hopefully it doesn't keep her out of madrid but it would explain the atrocious serve stats

youizahoe
Oct 14th, 2007, 11:54 AM
I don't know if anyone noticed, but I saw her knee was bothering her. She wasn't pushing up to her serve. She wasn't moving. She wasn't bending her knees etc.

Yeah I was thinking the same, also the most errors were made while she was moving

youizahoe
Oct 14th, 2007, 11:55 AM
If you wanna see all the statistics of the match

http://www.kremlincup.ru/on-court/draws/match_statistics_eng_15_20_1_31.shtml

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 14th, 2007, 11:58 AM
i don't think i wanna see those stats....i'd probably cry LOL

williamsluva
Oct 14th, 2007, 12:01 PM

Well i guess its cos i saw the match, and ud have to see it to understand why i sound so pessimistic, I am Pi$$ed ok? No shes not gonna win madrid. Id love her to prove me wrong but this isnt like australia, shes not looking well (in her eyes u can see it) something is wrong. And yes i saw her not pushing up for the serve and definatley not going for it, but I didnt notice anything with her knee I assumed it was just her losing focus again like she did at the uso.

If its a mental thing its a big problem cos its tough to overcome, if its physical.... well shes sick of injuries thats gonna play with her mind too. Its a lose lose situation. If it is physical she cant go and play zurich and madrid the ways she played wimbledon 05 and USO 05, but if its mental then the more match play the better.

williamsluva
Oct 14th, 2007, 12:02 PM
double posted

vettipooh
Oct 14th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Sad that Serena lost so badly, but that thigh definitely has something to do with it. Poor movement in last 2 sets and she def. let that annoying, screaming, chanting crowd get to her. How awful!! At this point I hope she withdraws from zurich and rests up for yec. Kudos to Elena though. She held it together and deserved the win.

Soothing
Oct 14th, 2007, 12:03 PM
She certainly got her ASS handed to her today. I think the crowd sorta got to her and at the start of the 2nd set she came out slow, kinda like she was exhausted. I knew she would not win this match by her body language in the second set. She kinda gave up and wasn't able to break Lena's rhythm at all in the third. Really disappointed I got up early for this one:(. I wish they would have shown the trophy presentation. I'd like to see how she handled it. At one point she looked close to tears. In any case I hope she gets her confidence back and that she plays in her next tournament. I don't think it's a good sign if she pulls out.

youizahoe
Oct 14th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Sad that Serena lost so badly, but that thigh definitely has something to do with it. Poor movement in last 2 sets and she def. let that annoying, screaming, chanting crowd get to her. How awful!! At this point I hope she withdraws from zurich and rests up for yec. Kudos to Elena though. She held it together and deserved the win.

There were a lot of people shouting, c'mon Serena, in case you didn't hear it...

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 14th, 2007, 12:06 PM
so if you saw her not pushing up on her serve then why be so pissed?? no i didn't see the match but 6-1 6-1 is not a score she loses with...find out what was wrong first....if it's just her game then she CAN work it out cause that's why she's playing...if it's her leg then it's gonna have to heal BEFORE you write her off in Madrid....if it's mental then you still gotta give her a chance before writing her off....

williamsluva
Oct 14th, 2007, 12:10 PM
She certainly got her ASS handed to her today. I think the crowd sorta got to her and at the start of the 2nd set she came out slow, kinda like she was exhausted. I knew she would not win this match by her body language in the second set. She kinda gave up and wasn't able to break Lena's rhythm at all in the third. Really disappointed I got up early for this one:(. I wish they would have shown the trophy presentation. I'd like to see how she handled it. At one point she looked close to tears. In any case I hope she gets her confidence back and that she plays in her next tournament. I don't think it's a good sign if she pulls out.

She was breathing hard out there on quite a few of those longer points, elena was dictacting and making her run but even when she made elena run it didnt seem like she was breathing too hard, so im not sure if serena was tired or Elena was just covering up being outta breath.

I know from experience that emotions (on court) caused by either frustration, nerves, stress (or all of them together for that matter) can make you tired (It triggers the fight or flight and one manifestation of the flight response is play dead i know thats how ive felt with only 0.00001% the pressure shes had plus she had a very annoying russian crowd and those guys are really mad). They also elevated their bit... girl.

UGhhh Stop the damn injuries what the hell did she ever do to deserve all these health problems???... Or what is it that she hasnt done? I still think that physical trainer has to go, if its still the same chick from the for real eps.

youizahoe
Oct 14th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Well i guess its cos i saw the match, and ud have to see it to understand why i sound so pessimistic, I am Pi$$ed ok? No shes not gonna win madrid. Id love her to prove me wrong but this isnt like australia, shes not looking well (in her eyes u can see it) something is wrong. And yes i saw her not pushing up for the serve and definatley not going for it, but I didnt notice anything with her knee I assumed it was just her losing focus again like she did at the uso.

If its a mental thing its a big problem cos its tough to overcome, if its physical.... well shes sick of injuries thats gonna play with her mind too. Its a lose lose situation. If it is physical she cant go and play zurich and madrid the ways she played wimbledon 05 and USO 05, but if its mental then the more match play the better.

It's definitely some minor injury. The only thing that was diffrent from the first set, was the way how she was running towards the ball, she was like going for a hard stroke, but eventually did a weird topspin ball.. And when she was running she was losing power in her strokes, not like in the first set, when she was moving she was hitting it harder and harder.

Anyway I think she wasn't used to playing 8 indoor matches in a short amount of time, for a very long time? Or it could be a minor thigh/knee injury.

Talia
Oct 14th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Many thanks to Serena for coming, for wonderful game. She really won me on this tourney, she's nice and relaxed person and she has guts for winning.

youizahoe
Oct 14th, 2007, 12:18 PM
She was breathing hard out there on quite a few of those longer points, elena was dictacting and making her run but even when she made elena run it didnt seem like she was breathing too hard, so im not sure if serena was tired or Elena was just covering up being outta breath.

I know from experience that emotions (on court) caused by either frustration, nerves, stress (or all of them together for that matter) can make you tired (It triggers the fight or flight and one manifestation of the flight response is play dead i know thats how ive felt with only 0.00001% the pressure shes had plus she had a very annoying russian crowd and those guys are really mad). They also elevated their bit... girl.

UGhhh Stop the damn injuries what the hell did she ever do to deserve all these health problems???... Or what is it that she hasnt done? I still think that physical trainer has to go, if its still the same chick from the for real eps.

Don't worry too much about the injuries, with them she's still playing well and still kicking ass.. Imagine what she would be doing if she didn't have them? I'm already happy she played 10 tournaments this year. The more she plays, the more her body will become fitter and she will have less chances to get injuries.

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 14th, 2007, 12:19 PM
well i guess it can only do her good....its much better than her not playing until the YEC if she had still qualified...

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 14th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Many thanks to Serena for coming, for wonderful game. She really won me on this tourney, she's nice and relaxed person and she has guts for winning.

ty for the nice words :D we hope to see you more here and glad that she won you over :)

williamsluva
Oct 14th, 2007, 12:20 PM
so if you saw her not pushing up on her serve then why be so pissed?? no i didn't see the match but 6-1 6-1 is not a score she loses with...find out what was wrong first....if it's just her game then she CAN work it out cause that's why she's playing...if it's her leg then it's gonna have to heal BEFORE you write her off in Madrid....if it's mental then you still gotta give her a chance before writing her off....

I already told you why, I thought it was her playing like she did at the uso, when Henin kept returning her serve she stopped pushing up on the serve as much, she started doubting her serve and her technique, I saw that at the French too.

And your post is just blind optimism. If its her leg its gonna have to heal before you write her off for madrid? Yeh how long is it gonna take to heal and even if it does, her game still hasnt been up to the standard needed to win Madrid (yes stress pressure all that stuff adds to that),

If its Mental then ur still gonna have to give her a chance? Yeh yeh she has a chance 1/8 thats a fact but shes definatley not ready to do well there, her movement has never looked good not even when she thumped Vaidisova and Kuznetsova, its not gonna fix itself up over night, and with all these losses and the look of despair in her eyes, shes not ready to win it.

You can live in your faerie tale world in which serena can always come back from anything, but shes human something has got to give, She definatley has the talent and the game to go out and win Madrid if she somehow magically refound her form and confidence, but right now shes been mentally worn down, And a key part of her game, her movement, is missing, she has to compensate for that in a big way and that itself is a mammoth mental task to deal with except shes also having problems with her ball striking and she hasnt won a title since miami which DOES hurt even someone with as much self belief, pride, hunger and determination as her.

Right now I think she will win at least 2/3 matches in madrid, at least, cos I know she IS strong enough to AT LEAST do that, but to win the title is too much to ask from her, especially considering the competition there.

williamsluva
Oct 14th, 2007, 12:23 PM
In any case it was a good tournament in retrospect. Now that ive calmed down somewhat. She beat Vaidisova again without dropping a set and in a tense tiebreaker, plus she beat kuz in 2 sets and was a set away from the title. But i just dont like to see her game look like its so "laboured" and takes so much "effort" to be fair i missed most of the first set when you guys said she was moving better, but I dont like the fact that she looks like shes working hard to hit her strokes even at 15-0

youizahoe
Oct 14th, 2007, 12:32 PM
In any case it was a good tournament in retrospect. Now that ive calmed down somewhat. She beat Vaidisova again without dropping a set and in a tense tiebreaker, plus she beat kuz in 2 sets and was a set away from the title. But i just dont like to see her game look like its so "laboured" and takes so much "effort" to be fair i missed most of the first set when you guys said she was moving better, but I dont like the fact that she looks like shes working hard to hit her strokes even at 15-0

Don't worry too much about Serena, she's unpredictable, the only thing you know about her is:

No matter how fit she is, what she's thinking, she'll always be ready to prove everyone wrong. As long as she has got two legs and two arms, she'll be just fine.

PatrickRyan
Oct 14th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Wow what a dissapoiniting loss :sad: She really should have beat Dementieva.

Talia
Oct 14th, 2007, 01:14 PM
ty for the nice words :D we hope to see you more here and glad that she won you over :)
Thanks. Yeah, of course I've always knew that she is a great champ and has really big game but what is so cool about going to tourneys is that you see players in person and sometimes it helps to see them from completely different view.

aisha
Oct 14th, 2007, 01:26 PM
What an odd loss. :shrug:

Something's obviously up with her. I wonder if she's hiding an injury.
The oomph wasn't in her serve in the second and third sets. Also her returns were ordinary.
What a shame.

Ever since the U. S. Open, she's been hitting a lot of her shots way off balance.

Olórin
Oct 14th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Yeah I don't get it either. I hope she works it out though. She's gone on record multiple times this year saying she wants to be world number one and dominate again. In 2004/5 I don't think she cared so much. So you would assume getting these kinds of losses would hurt her enough to change whatever the problem is.

Il Primo!
Oct 14th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I'm still not over it. What worries me is the way she lost. Her baseline game is empty, only her serve and return games left.
Oh my, I want Serena back. I'm afraid she discourages herself and retire..with Venus. Damnit.

pigam
Oct 14th, 2007, 02:44 PM
sorry for being in here (its not the first time)
I just want to have the discussion over here, because it is simply impossible to have a sane discussion down at GM.

What surprised me most was Serena's attitude. She won the first set, she looked rather good, I thought. Good serving, not too many UE's etc. But even in that first set she was SO down on herself. Almost crying, just grunting and such "annoyed come on's" all the time.

She didn't seemed "zoned in "( sic?) but rather like a frustrated fan of her own, if you see what I mean? It was like you had serena playing the matcvh and a different/the same Serena being annoyed at how she played even though she was winning. I simply didn't get it. Elena played very very well, yet I feel Serena kinda let herself down not so much with her play, but her "attitude" that seemed very tiering :shrug:

I just wonder WHY... she beat the N2 en route. Why not be more Serene?

Lulu.
Oct 14th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I'm still upset. I just knew she had this match won and to win the first set then lose the last two like that just doesn't make sense. :unsure:

StarDuvallGrant
Oct 14th, 2007, 03:35 PM

She's working hard and it looks like it. She also looks like she's not happy on the court, discontent and that doesn't work period. It can be very disconcerting watching her with that body language.

doni1212
Oct 14th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I just don't even know what to say....:shrug:

2moretogo
Oct 14th, 2007, 04:20 PM
What an odd loss. :shrug:

Something's obviously up with her. I wonder if she's hiding an injury.
The oomph wasn't in her serve in the second and third sets. Also her returns were ordinary.
What a shame.

Ever since the U. S. Open, she's been hitting a lot of her shots way off balance.

Yeah, I think what is up with her is that she is/was more tired than she let on. Lena played an incredible match she was painting the lines and was going for her serves (which where going in, and deep into the box). I think both women were emotional because they were fighting. As far as balance, I think it goes back to her movement. Today, it looked like she wasn't seeing the ball as well as she needed to, so you she was a step behind. I think that has a LOT to do with the Kuzy match yesterday and the emotional rollercoaster of basically playing in front of a DC crowd two days in a row. (Though I did hear people cheering specifically cheering for Serena, the crowd was overwhelming for Lena).

As far as returns, this is exactly way I am upset. Though Lena was serving deep in the box, Serena seemed as if her only plan was to hit the stuffing off the ball, but often it was right back to Lena who was able to reset the rally.

My second quibble is that Serena was almost exclusive trying to play Lena from the baseline. She stayed back on the return of serve and on her own serve, where I thought giving Lena different looks and putting more pressure on her would have been a nice change up.

She's working hard and it looks like it. She also looks like she's not happy on the court, discontent and that doesn't work period. It can be very disconcerting watching her with that body language.

I think today she was so upset cuz she was fighting herself, Lena, the crowd and as has been said before she really doesn't have the same confidence in all of her shots. But you are right, it is hard to watch Serena with such negative body language.

As a final note, am I upset that Serena lost? Very much so, but it has more to do with the quality of her tennis/ game plan that didn't seem to change rather than the person who she lost too.

Having said that, Serena accomplished so much this tourney and I have to say that I am so proud of her renewed commitment to tennis, and especially fall tennis. The results WILL come, and with every loss Serena gets more and more determined (if this is possible) to work on her game. I don't think that resting from Zurich is a good idea. Serena obviously needs the match play. I would rather her work on this stuff in competition and then go into YEC knowing fully what to do.:bounce: :bounce: Serena is a fighter and she'll fight back no doubt. I still love ya' Ree.:kiss:

(P.S. those change of direction shots where she had to go up the line or down the line where gone today, she's got the height over the net, but they are inches from being in the court.)

StarDuvallGrant
Oct 14th, 2007, 04:41 PM
As a final note, am I upset that Serena lost? Very much so, but it has more to do with the quality of her tennis/ game plan that didn't seem to change rather than the person who she lost too.

I really agree with this. Congrats to Elena, but it's always hard watching Serena when it's that quality. Agreed.

Having said that, Serena accomplished so much this tourney and I have to say that I am so proud of her renewed commitment to tennis, and especially fall tennis. The results WILL come, and with every loss Serena gets more and more determined (if this is possible) to work on her game. I don't think that resting from Zurich is a good idea. Serena obviously needs the match play. I would rather her work on this stuff in competition and then go into YEC knowing fully what to do.:bounce: :bounce: Serena is a fighter and she'll fight back no doubt. I still love ya' Ree.:kiss:

There is always that positive side to any Serena script. I hope to see Serena play soon, determined and pushing on through.

2moretogo
Oct 14th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I really agree with this. Congrats to Elena, but it's always hard watching Serena when it's that quality. Agreed.

There is always that positive side to any Serena script. I hope to see Serena play soon, determined and pushing on through.

:kiss: :bounce: Chile, its hard cuz Serena was playing so little and still kicking ass that seeing her back-to-back weeks and no win, is hard to stomach. But you know she's playing and getting deep into the draw. A trophy is all that is lacking!

Olórin
Oct 14th, 2007, 05:46 PM
sorry for being in here (its not the first time)
I just want to have the discussion over here, because it is simply impossible to have a sane discussion down at GM.

What surprised me most was Serena's attitude. She won the first set, she looked rather good, I thought. Good serving, not too many UE's etc. But even in that first set she was SO down on herself. Almost crying, just grunting and such "annoyed come on's" all the time.

She didn't seemed "zoned in "( sic?) but rather like a frustrated fan of her own, if you see what I mean? It was like you had serena playing the matcvh and a different/the same Serena being annoyed at how she played even though she was winning. I simply didn't get it. Elena played very very well, yet I feel Serena kinda let herself down not so much with her play, but her "attitude" that seemed very tiering :shrug:

I just wonder WHY... she beat the N2 en route. Why not be more Serene?

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's like she expected herself to play like at the AO Final or something. She does seem to be getting quite frustrated and just down on herself at the moment. It's really bizarre and upsetting to watch. I think in the second set Serena served poorly and Elena didn't give Serena any chances, too good there. But in the third set I don't think Elena was quite as zoned in as in the second and Serena definitely had her chances and blew them.

I do think she realises the problems in her game, and she wasn't missing by much, they were "good" errors mostly. I prefer it to when she's just pushing the ball in. Hopefully next time some more balls will go in ergo she won't be a frustrated. And I think her movement is slowly improving again. But she does seem to have this slight mental quirk now to work out as well. :rolleyes:

bake cell
Oct 14th, 2007, 07:49 PM
What is the problem Serena, losing seems to be the norm, best of luck next time.

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 14th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I already told you why, I thought it was her playing like she did at the uso, when Henin kept returning her serve she stopped pushing up on the serve as much, she started doubting her serve and her technique, I saw that at the French too.

And your post is just blind optimism. If its her leg its gonna have to heal before you write her off for madrid? Yeh how long is it gonna take to heal and even if it does, her game still hasnt been up to the standard needed to win Madrid (yes stress pressure all that stuff adds to that),

If its Mental then ur still gonna have to give her a chance? Yeh yeh she has a chance 1/8 thats a fact but shes definatley not ready to do well there, her movement has never looked good not even when she thumped Vaidisova and Kuznetsova, its not gonna fix itself up over night, and with all these losses and the look of despair in her eyes, shes not ready to win it.

You can live in your faerie tale world in which serena can always come back from anything, but shes human something has got to give, She definatley has the talent and the game to go out and win Madrid if she somehow magically refound her form and confidence, but right now shes been mentally worn down, And a key part of her game, her movement, is missing, she has to compensate for that in a big way and that itself is a mammoth mental task to deal with except shes also having problems with her ball striking and she hasnt won a title since miami which DOES hurt even someone with as much self belief, pride, hunger and determination as her.

Right now I think she will win at least 2/3 matches in madrid, at least, cos I know she IS strong enough to AT LEAST do that, but to win the title is too much to ask from her, especially considering the competition there.

everyone going to madrid has a 1/8 chance of winning.....big deal....if all you wanna do is be negative over a loss then suit yourself...don't spread it :o

winone23
Oct 15th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Good fight from Serena, at least she will be in YEC now!

bake cell
Oct 15th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Seems as though Serena feels left out. She seems to be so blindly invested in others business, and fail to commit to her own. Focus on yourself and learn how to be appreciative of what you got, and not of what you want. Serena is just a female like all other females, and unless you're Condoleezza Rice, I'm not impressed with your resolve. I have a deep respect and appreciation for the fortitude of that Ms. Rice regardless of her affiliation.

Serena could never be as strong as Ms. Rice, above all other women I could see myself respecting beyond any.

Serena wants too much stupid SH*T to be associated with. She wants too many people's B.S. to justify her existence as a celebrity. She needs to grow up bigtime, and really she is too far past the age of even a college graduate in general. She needs to get some respectable business about herself.

Serena is past the little black girls phase of tennis phenom, and need to advance her image with more substance. That's right, people really don't care about you like these fake assistants seem to be hooking her up with. evolve.

b_o_r
Oct 15th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I do think she realises the problems in her game, and she wasn't missing by much, they were "good" errors mostly. I prefer it to when she's just pushing the ball in. Hopefully next time some more balls will go in ergo she won't be a frustrated. And I think her movement is slowly improving again. But she does seem to have this slight mental quirk now to work out as well. :rolleyes:
What do you mean she wasn't missing her shots by much? The majority of her errors were in the net. When she tried to change the direction of the ball she hit them out. Serena use to be good at taking the pace off the ball and causing an error from her opponent but she didn't do it often yesterday.

The only positive thing about yesterday match was her shot selection, however, she has NO CONFIDENCE to execute them hence all those ugly errors. :help:

I hope she sticks with playing Zurich. The more she plays, the more likely someone or herself will pick up on what she is doing wrong and she will get the help she needs for in the future.

PatrickRyan
Oct 15th, 2007, 10:09 PM
To be fair Dementieva played absoulutly amazing tennis in the last two sets, Serena really did try and fight hard in the second set and they had some really amazing ralleys, but her serve was off.

Olórin
Oct 15th, 2007, 11:55 PM
What do you mean she wasn't missing her shots by much? The majority of her errors were in the net. When she tried to change the direction of the ball she hit them out. Serena use to be good at taking the pace off the ball and causing an error from her opponent but she didn't do it often yesterday.

The only positive thing about yesterday match was her shot selection, however, she has NO CONFIDENCE to execute them hence all those ugly errors. :help:

I hope she sticks with playing Zurich. The more she plays, the more likely someone or herself will pick up on what she is doing wrong and she will get the help she needs for in the future.

Well I only watched the second and third sets but I would say one in three of her shots was in the net at most. Most were just missing the lines. Certainly her return game is A LOT better than at the US Open. Her shot selection wasn't that good yesterday imo. She was going for her shots more than I've seen her do in ages. THAT was the positive. Sorry I just blatantly disagree :lol: