PDA

View Full Version : Fed Cup Cheering Thread

SM
Jul 16th, 2002, 10:55 AM
I have my tickets!

Front section on Saturday, and its a side view..2 singles

Sunday i have a behind view, and about mid-way up...2 singles, and a doubles(im expecting Evie to play doubles)!

Will be reporting back in this thread after my two days. Go Aussies!!!!!! Evie evie evie , oi oi oi :bounce:

TS
Jul 17th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Great! I look forward to the reports :)

BTW, Nicole has just withdrawn (replaced by Christina Wheeler), so its a lot tougher now, as we needed her experience. This is Evie's chance to step up to the plate! Hope she nails this opportunity!

SM
Jul 17th, 2002, 11:57 PM
Christina Wheeler? Why her...Evie has the fed cup experience from last year, plus she did marginally better at the French and has posted better slam results by far.

Thanks for telling me that Terry, i didnt wanna make a fool of myself talking about potential singles for her? as im likely gonna go see Evie today and give her the URL for this site..

so its gonna likely be Alicia and Christina in singles, and Evie/Stubbs for doubles?

Go team AUS!

TS
Jul 18th, 2002, 03:15 AM
Steve....Christina isn't playing singles, she isnt taking Nicoles singles spot, just her spot in the team (i.e the 4th member now)..so its Alicia and Evie for singles....and Rennae and Christina for doubles. Christina is an excellent doubles player, so it should be a good combination :)

SM
Jul 18th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Yeah Terry i realised what u meant just after my post..lol..but i thought u meant she replaced niccy in singles...;)! i rushed ahead!

anyway today was good..i went and watched them practice for about an hour before i went shopping in town

Evie: she seems in form, is hitting her shots hard and served better than ive seen from her. Good to see. :)

Nicole: she still went there and was helping the team out and stuff. Even though shes injured shes still out there supporting them.

Alicia: her form doesn't look too good, her groundies and especially her normally good serve seem to be a bit off. But shes experienced and a great player under the spotlight as she showed at hopman cup.

Christina: I was impressed. Her game was very Coezter like and theres nothing to stop her from going up up and up. It seemed that she beat Alicia in their match today.

Good luck to the whole team! Evonne seemed in good spirits as did everyone about the coming weekend...Australia seem like the heavy favorites, but in this type of event it can go anyway.

jd4eva
Jul 18th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Good luck Evie :D

Jordan.
Jul 18th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Good Luck Evie!!! :bounce: :) :kiss:

Benny
Jul 19th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Good Luck in fed cup Evie!

Oh by the way, Evie is playing both singles and doubles:):):)
I read it on Aus - Tele Text:)

TS
Jul 19th, 2002, 06:55 AM
tx Benny :)

Go Evie, one more day to go and you can make us all proud!!!!

SM
Jul 20th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Today was a great day at the gong..

I thought i was gonna arrive late thanks to two of my mates whom both stalled me 30 mins..so i sped thru a fair amount of traffic en route to the fairly crowded stadium(biggest crowd in fed cup history within Australia)!!

Anyway, Evie was up first against Miriam Oremans...and judging by the first service game it was invariably gonna be a struggle for Evie as Miriam had 3 volley winners as she served and volleyed with confidence. Evie went down 15-40 in the next game before struggling to hold at 1-1. So far in to the match it was Oremans making the play and she went firing on all cylinders. Although Evie managed to break Oremans for a 2-1 lead, she surrendered this lead due to inexperience and this showed at 4-4 in the first set when Oremans broke Evie to serve for the set.

The first set was of good quality and was very close, but Oremans was just barely able to sneak away with it 6-4 due to being the more adventurous player and moving in to the net and playing stunning volleys. She also played strategically better as she kept the traffic going to Evies backhand side.

Evie was robbed in the second set of leading 3-1 with a break. There was a controversially late overrule by the umpire and even Evie herself had changed ends believing she went up 3-1. Evie ended up being broken for 2-2 and Miriam ran away with the second set displaying poise and determination to put up her country 1-0.

Alicia won her match 1-6 6-2 10-8 with a nail bitting finish. Alicia's game was very volatile today and it was surpsingly good to see her come back after losing the first set 1-6 in short time period. Alicia just wasn't able to play her normal game and didnt look confident. The crowd helped her, but so did Kristie who wasn't able to maintain her form from set1 where she was hitting the ball very explosively.

Good effort from both girls.:) Tommorow Molik will try to put the team up 2-1 when she takes on Oremans(revenge)? ;) and Evie will play Boogert later in the day. Good luck to both, and i hope Alicia can get through her match tommorow and take some pressure off Evie.

i dont have time right now for much more...but will update the thread tommorow! GO EVIE :bounce:

TS
Jul 20th, 2002, 06:45 PM
thanks Steve :) Great stuff

I look forward to tomorrows report! You dont know how lucky you are! Id love to go to a Fed Cup match one day!

Come on girls, make it 3-1!!!!!

SM
Jul 21st, 2002, 09:04 AM
Hi guys..im in a bi tof a hurry so ill have to make it quick

birefly the tennis was great quality again today. Both days the girls have been extremely aggressive and the winners mustve far outweighed the errors ESPECIALLY by Kristie Boogert!

Tpday Alicia totally overpowered Miriam with ehr big serves and alot of winners, even on her backhand side she was clinching games with beautifully produced backhands which was great to watch...she stepped up the pace from yesterday and built on that confidence, then carried it on to win in the doubles(for the first time) with Stubbsy :D!

Evie played great as did Kristie in the second match. BOTH PLAYERS DESERVED TO WIN. Kristie played a great attacking game, hit an unbeliebale amount of winners of both wings and all over the court. Evie fough hard and served for both sets, but in time im sure shell get the experience to close it out. In the third set Evie went down 0-5 and saved about 9 match points but Kristie just played very good tennis and if she maintains it she's gonna be rising up the ranks very fast!

Kudos to the Dutch for playing a wonderful tie. Kristie showed us 'Wollongonians' as Stubbsy put itsome great baseline tennis over the weekend. She wasnt afraid to attack the lines and made them , barely missing. Miriam played a great firsts ingles rubber and played some of the best serve and volley tennis ive seen, but in the second singles match she let herselfbecome frustrated. I also met Silvana Bauer and the other dutch girls, took some pics with them etc and they seem genuinely nice! :)

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 21st, 2002, 11:09 AM
Hi Stevo :)

looks like you had a great time :)
well done to the Aussies ;)

I know Silvana is pretty cute ;)

U take any pics ??

SM
Jul 21st, 2002, 01:38 PM
I took a pic with Silvana and that other dutch player, Daniella, and i took quite a few over the two day period which ill post in addition to other tidbits from the weekend within a few days...so check back :)!
thx

TS
Jul 21st, 2002, 03:37 PM
Cheers Steve!!! Excellent stuff! Also read in somewhere just now that you spoke with Evie :) Good to see she likes this place ;)

Congrats Aussies :kiss: A pity Evie didnt get the win, but by the looks of it Kristie just played too good. Evie will learn from this, I hope she isnt too down!

p.s - Im sure the girls will celebrate in the traditional Aussie way ;)

DutchieGirl
Jul 25th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by SM
I took a pic with Silvana and that other dutch player, Daniella, and i took quite a few over the two day period which ill post in addition to other tidbits from the weekend within a few days...so check back :)!
thx

lmao... that other Dutch player is Marielle Hoogland! :p

SM
Aug 4th, 2002, 12:56 PM
bump for nitcoris...thought u might wanna contribute to this thread with pics, tid bits , etc

nitocris_tiger
Aug 5th, 2002, 03:33 AM
Well I guess Steve, you've covered the match in depth enough.

You'll find that if you have someone to share the driving with it makes driving long distances a lot easier, so that was OK.

I got tickets days before the event and couldn't believe how good they were. Sat was 2nd row directly opposite the Aus players chairs. Sun was 3rd row behind the chairs...sitting 2 rows behind Daniella. Although security was non existent so you could have sat anywhere!

The match on Sun was just fantastic. It was the most support Evie got from the crowd in a match EVER. Even more than 3rd Rnd Aus Open 2001 coz that was the first match of the day...people are quiter etc. Evie tried SO hard but couldn't go on with it in the 3rd, but saved 7 match points in the process.

A story about trying to get a video of the match. I noticed downstairs there was a fixed camera showing the vision. I asked if I could get a video of the upcoming match and was told OK so long as I could supply the tape. No problem. I run around the streets of Woll finding a shop selling vids on a Sun. Finally got one, came back but was refused because "it breaches copyright". What a crock of shit. If it was on TV I would have taped it but because it wasn't, I couldn't...copyright or no copyright.:mad:

Anyway I spoke to Evie's mum after the match (who is a lovely person if you've ever had the pleasure) and told her about driving from Melb and she wished us a safe trip back.

Fantastic weekend all round, even if Evie didn't win.
Craig:D

PS. I didn't take many photos but if they turn out OK I will upload.

SM
Aug 5th, 2002, 05:08 AM
yeah evies mum was there to cheer Alicia and team on even after evies 2nd loss, she really got in to it :)..

her mum and daniella spotted me out on day1....they rememebred me from the junior grade5 in february when i went to cheer daniella! I spoke to Dani on the sat and she also told me evie liked the site etc. and were a bit surprised to see Evie has a presence on the web

that sucks that they didnt let you tape any of the match cos of copyright regulation :(...its just following the rules too closely.

BTW - can u post your pics up here if you get the chance? i have some that came out OK but a bit grainy as i had no flash on the camera i found in my sisters room ...i wouldve bought another1 for the weekend but i was broke ;)...

About the crowd..itwas pretty awesome..Evie fighting hard to win the second set against Boogie will hopefully give her some experience as she sets out on the american hardcourts now. BTWwere you really impressed with Boogies play?? She didnt look like the world # 158