PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Aspirations

Watching
Sep 23rd, 2007, 03:40 PM
I know we have alot of 07 to go (YEC!!) but it's dead in here so this is a thread to ask what your hopes for Serena's 2008 are.

Personally I think she is the only person capable of the Grand Slam on the tour but don't think she's anywhere physically or mentally ready enough at this moment to do that.

Still here's a fairly optimistic year:

Ao - makes it to the semis losing to Venus but win's the Mixed Doubles titles with Max Mirnyi.

Fo - defeats Henin in the final in a 3 set-thriller! Also takes the Mixed Doubles title with Max Mirnyi.

Wi - takes her 3rd title with another straight set's (apostraphe(sp?) needed?)championship Serena domination style.

Us - makes it to the semis.

Ol - takes the gold medal in singles!

Yec - Finals again doh!

Mi - retains title!

My explanation for this year is that it gives her another repeat of the difficult RG-Wi double gives her a double career Grandslam :worship: and the boxset slam :worship: and three Wimbledon's putting her well out of Henin's reach in terms of generations greatest :devil:.

Put in your explanations too. To do this she would really have to get her act together physically for the clay season where she needs to be as fit as she was in her heyday! I would like to only see her party photos quarterly with fitness updates.

Watching

doni1212
Sep 23rd, 2007, 10:34 PM
Ok, let's say this. I know Serena is so sick of losing to Justine. I don't think it will happen again (lets see at YEC, or Stuttgart/Moscow)
So, I think her only compeition in 2008 will be Venus. And that will be a mental test.
Therefore, I really want her to defend the AO in style. Set the year off, like she did this year. Then, defend Miami.
I want Serena and no one else, to knock Justine out at the French. (A little payback for Justine knocking her out in 2003 and for this year)
It's tough to choose between Serena and Venus at Wimbledon, but Serena hasn't won it in awhile and she's my fav. So, I want her to win Wimby. (Final vs. Venus)
I want her to win U.S. Open and knock Justine out. This will cap the year, and what I am officially calling "Revenge 08"
YEC-Winner, Olympics- Gold, And maybe some other titles like during the summer hardcourt season or before FO.
As she says, "Eight is not enough for her potential, :devil: "

FrchTwst
Sep 24th, 2007, 02:14 AM
I can't wait for Serena to beat Henin!! It would be amazing if she beats her in the YEC and Henin gets knocked before the Semis!!

doni1212
Sep 24th, 2007, 04:13 AM
I can't wait for Serena to beat Henin!! It would be amazing if she beats her in the YEC and Henin gets knocked before the Semis!!

Does the YEC have ranking points?

StarDuvallGrant
Sep 24th, 2007, 04:22 AM
My only hope for Serena's 2008 is that she remains consistent and competitive. No matter who her opponent is. I believe Serena is the best player in women's tennis and I want her to live up to that role. I want her determination and her purpose she exhibited at the AO 2007. She can do it and I think the joy of it all will be so worth it when she accomplishes all that she can within a year.

winone23
Sep 24th, 2007, 05:25 AM
My only hope for Serena's 2008 is that she remains consistent and competitive. No matter who her opponent is. I believe Serena is the best player in women's tennis and I want her to live up to that role. I want her determination and her purpose she exhibited at the AO 2007. She can do it and I think the joy of it all will be so worth it when she accomplishes all that she can within a year.

I agree. I hope Serena keeps her eyes on the prize. I hope she gets to play a little more next year.

Olórin
Sep 24th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I agree, most of all I would like to see some consistency and for Serena to show plenty of fight every match, for the whole match. What I think Serena needs, is get another title this year; I don't care which one, just to get that taste of winning again, being the last player standing. I hope this will fuel her hunger for 2008, and perhaps one more loss this year might make her train harder in the off-season as well.

But I have high hopes for 2008, and I'm really hoping Serena will get in shape for it both mentally and physically.

AO - I would like to see her defend, but I would really like Venus to get the title here too and I think 2008 AO will be the best chance Venus ever gets to win it, so I am torn. However let's say Vee does win, the gloves are off and it's Serena for everything :devil: . I think it would be so funny if Serena came to Australia playing well, fit and healthy and lost....imagine the outcry, "Serena's best isn't guaranteed to win anymore," "it is isn't 2002 anymore you know," "I always knew Justine was the superior tennis player," "I always knew Venus was the more accomplished of the two." :lol:

From then on it's 2002 all the way :cool: a healthy and happy Serena kicking arse everywhere she goes. She is the only player capable of dominating EVERYONE on a consistent basis. She is the only one with the game to do it. Her game CAN be consistent, it just hasn't been for a while now. But let's be fair, Serena hasn't had an awful season, she's only lost to three people, she's made all of the slams, won one, and won the most prestigous tier one in one of the best WTA Finals we have seen in many a year. I don't think it's unreasonable for her to aspire to go one better next season and be THE dominant player and win multiple slams,(I want her to win the French and Wimbledon the most). Go Serena, stay happy and healthy :yeah:

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 24th, 2007, 11:05 PM
i just want her to win almost everything she enters and becomes almost federer like....

williamsluva
Sep 25th, 2007, 02:58 AM
2008 Golden Calendar slam + Yec :) Ok not too much just has to win 6 events. about 40 matches. Nothing much. But with my predictions I wouldnt be suprised if that b!Tch Henin and her female counterpart Fedtard, accomplish those feats.

StarDuvallGrant
Sep 26th, 2007, 02:53 AM
I agree. I hope Serena keeps her eyes on the prize. I hope she gets to play a little more next year.

I also hope while doing this she enjoys herself. I think that is key too.

darrinbaker00
Sep 26th, 2007, 04:19 AM
i just want her to win almost everything she enters and becomes almost federer like....
Less time on the red carpet, more time on the practice court and in the gym, and it could happen. ;)

Sep 26th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I am hoping for an amazing 2008 for all my favorites, including Serena!!

vettipooh
Sep 27th, 2007, 03:18 AM
I just want her to stay healthy and injury free, focused and committed. I'm asking for alot, but not the impossible!! :lol:

bake cell
Sep 27th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I also hope while doing this she enjoys herself. I think that is key too.

Since when have she not being enjoying herself? Doing what she want, or there is another phase she must go through in finding her happy spot and balance. :shrug:

I'm going to start doing that which makes me happy, and find out what it means to just destroy my opposition.:fiery:

I'm tired of hearing Serena is trying to do this and trying to do that. At 26, you would think the bells are ringing to stop the fight, and not to start it. For a woman that is.:lol:

She's in a relationship, and have been in relationship were there is no marriage talk, so what pressure is on her to find joy, and pleasure? :shrug: I mean, all of that money, vacations, why the now and will, and I hope she enjoys herself. This can't be an excuse of excuses?:tape:

Now let me start to enjoy myself with the givens of my life.:angel:

doni1212
Sep 27th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Since when have she not being enjoying herself? Doing what she want, or there is another phase she must go through in finding her happy spot and balance. :shrug:

I'm going to start doing that which makes me happy, and find out what it means to just destroy my opposition.:fiery:

I'm tired of hearing Serena is trying to do this and trying to do that. At 26, you would think the bells are ringing to stop the fight, and not to start it. For a woman that is.:lol:

She's in a relationship, and have been in relationship were there is no marriage talk, so what pressure is on her to find joy, and pleasure? :shrug: I mean, all of that money, vacations, why the now and will, and I hope she enjoys herself. This can't be an excuse of excuses?:tape:

Now let me start to enjoy myself with the givens of my life.:angel:

Yeah and hopefully you'll stay out of this thread and wtaworld as a whole, :rolleyes:

bake cell
Sep 28th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Yeah and hopefully you'll stay out of this thread and wtaworld as a whole, :rolleyes:

I'm going to visit some ladies, and avoid talking to decoys, perfecting the emotional effect that pleases my intellect.:angel:

new-york
Sep 29th, 2007, 12:42 AM
a healthy, motivated and playing Serena.

darrinbaker00
Sep 29th, 2007, 04:08 AM
I just want her to stay healthy and injury free, focused and committed. I'm asking for alot, but not the impossible!! :lol:
How is that asking a lot? Personally, I think that's the least Serena can do. ;)

sweetpeas
Oct 3rd, 2007, 04:39 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:wavey: That"s what ia:bounce: :wavey: m talking about!Peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:18 PM
Well, she's accomplished a lot this year as well so we have plenty to be happy about

williamsluva
Oct 4th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Maybe the goal should be, beat Henin everytime they play, cos she'd have 3 more GS semis to her name, and Quite possibly even 2 more finals (I Think she coulda beaten Bartoli at wimbledon if we look at the uso when she wasnt playing well, And I think she woulda been high after beatin henin to take out Janko in france), Its very likely shed have added another title (Ivanovic wouldnt have stood a chance in france!, Just dont know if she coulda beaten venus at Wimbledon or the USO).

In Retro spect, this really coulda been the year of the williams, Ironically We all agree that serena is the favourite in the first 2, while Venus much prefers the second 2. Hmmmm I wonder if only.

RichyRena
Oct 4th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Hmm I would really like to see Serena win the AO (so she can just win more than rat hingis) Erm Venus for the french (she has had a better record on clay than serena so I think she deserves it more) then Serena winning Wimbledon and UsO (Beating henin in the QF in both :P)erm her winning gold in singles and her and venus winning gold in doubles then for her to win YEC and obviously another Miami title haha xxx

2moretogo
Oct 16th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Bump*

Repeats of what has been compiled already

1. Happy, Healthy Serena

2. Reassert her domination over Juju and the rest of the field

3. Improved footwork

4. Red carpet < practice court/ training gym

5. As far as specific goals, (a) AO- repeat; (b) FO- @ least the semis/ Venus to win (c) Wi- finalist/ if Venus is in the mix I want Vee to repeat (d) USO- champion (e) Miami- repeat (f) IW- finalist w/ Venus (with Serena winning):devil:

But serious, I wish Serena happiness, health, and a return of that killer instinct on a consistent basis. With that, the results will come. :bounce: :bounce:

bake cell
Oct 16th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Serena and anyone should achieve their goals provided that they are aware of their options. Noone else has to aprove of their choices, and making these choices should be accepted by those that share in their circles.

Outsiders are just that, outsiders. You shouldn't have to beg none to come follow you or be your master. Warring minds and souls battle for priciples unknown for the most part. Blind warriors. Yet wisdom decides her champion. Wisdom chooses well.

Siyasema
Oct 17th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Bump*

Repeats of what has been compiled already

1. Happy, Healthy Serena

2. Reassert her domination over Juju and the rest of the field

3. Improved footwork

4. Red carpet < practice court/ training gym

5. As far as specific goals, (a) AO- repeat; (b) FO- @ least the semis/ Venus to win (c) Wi- finalist/ if Venus is in the mix I want Vee to repeat (d) USO- champion (e) Miami- repeat (f) IW- finalist w/ Venus (with Serena winning):devil:

But serious, I wish Serena happiness, health, and a return of that killer instinct on a consistent basis. With that, the results will come. :bounce: :bounce:

What a wonderful 2008 season it would be if Serena can attain the majority of this. We will see her form at the YEC but Serena's motivation and also her upbeat attitude in her blogs is a pleasant sight.

bake cell
Oct 17th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Iguehi I read your signature as it states: Join the company of lions rather than assume the lead among foxes.

Sounds like a quote from a nerdish follower type, who's the aurthor? A philosipher of a tyrants regime.

And this sounds like words of an outsider who tries to get in and fit in. A lion has no fellowship with foxes, and a fox has no fellowship with lions, so I definitely don't see the logic in this quote. Unless you really are in the land of OZ.

williamsluva
Oct 24th, 2007, 04:02 AM
I just thought of my aspiration for 08. FIRE HER WHOLE TEAM (except mom and dad), get rid of the friends and go out and find some new perspectives from professionals in the field of athletic conditioning and strength training, Man even Bolliteri would be bound to have at least ONE good trainer, and if she did go and train at bolliterris for ONE MONTH at the very least she would be smacking the ball better (she was scary at the 06 USO even though she lost cos of her knee, she was striking that ball like she was agassi or somethin), and Nicks camps are infamous for pushing their charge's bodies to the limit.

Olórin
Oct 24th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I know I made a post earlier on saying a bunch of things I'd like Serena to do.

But really I'll be more than and happy and it'll make my 2008 if she just wins Wimbledon again.

I just love Wimbledon, it's my favourite tennis tournament BY FAR. Grass court tennis is what it's all about for me. And being British I get to see more of Wimbledon than any other tournament.

Serena to win a 3rd Wimbledon :hearts: It's been too long since you were holding THAT dish in 2003 :sad:

williamsluva
Oct 26th, 2007, 11:06 AM
I know I made a post earlier on saying a bunch of things I'd like Serena to do.

But really I'll be more than and happy and it'll make my 2008 if she just wins Wimbledon again.

I just love Wimbledon, it's my favourite tennis tournament BY FAR. Grass court tennis is what it's all about for me. And being British I get to see more of Wimbledon than any other tournament.

Serena to win a 3rd Wimbledon :hearts: It's been too long since you were holding THAT dish in 2003 :sad:

Still id like to see her hold Australia as well, its just such a special place for her and I couldnt bare to see that belgian bitch Take it from her (its the one place shes never beaten her, theyve never played there.)

doni1212
Oct 26th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Still id like to see her hold Australia as well, its just such a special place for her and I couldnt bare to see that belgian bitch Take it from her (its the one place shes never beaten her, theyve never played there.)

Same, :fiery:
And we've heard Vee's goals for 2008, now I want to hear Serena's!!!

serenus_2k8
Oct 26th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I totally agree, fitness and footwork so that she can keep up the level she was at in Miami and AO!

Then if she could become much more dominant over Henin so that there is no longer an obstacle in the grand slams other than Venus! Would be perfect :D

Olórin
Oct 26th, 2007, 05:14 PM

What's with the Justine obsession? :p

Besides, if Serena is going to put the beatdown on Justine anywhere, I would rather see it done in an act of revenge in the biggest tennis stage on the world in the middle of the season. :devil:

Diesel
Oct 26th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Serena winning a 3rd Wimbledon would be nice. I want her to repeat at the AO and I want some doubles. Don't much care if it's women's or mixed.

Geisha
Oct 27th, 2007, 03:24 AM
I just want Serena to play to her full potential.

This year, I just felt that she should have won more matches, but she wasn't fit enough. Matches that come to mind are the French Open and US Open against Henin. Also, the last two losses, Kuznetsova and Dementieva, were a little disappointing.

If Serena get to a comfortable fitness and she keeps playing matches, she will do amazing. She needs to be healthy, fit, and consistently playing tournaments if she wants to threaten Henin for the top spot.

I do think Serena will do this. So, my aspirations for 2008 are as follows:

- Australian Open champion (I just want to see her win her fourth)

- Miami champion (She has played amazing in the past, so she should win)

- solid claycourt results (Just two or three tournaments, but where she's giving it all she has)

- Wimbledon finals/champion (She's the second-best grasscourter, I just don't think she should be losing here)

- solid summer hardcourt results (a couple of tournaments, playing solid tennis)

- Olympic Medal (Gold would be nice, but I want Venus to win that)

- US Open finalist/champion (see Wimbledon)

- solid fall tournaments (she has the best serve in women's tennis and shouldn't be losing sets 6-1 6-1 indoors, she should win a couple of titles)

Overall, I want her to win four or five titles, one or two Majors/Olympics, and just to play solid tennis.

Destiny
Oct 27th, 2007, 02:00 PM
thats a very ambitous schedule
i just hope she gets half of what you said
serena is just too up and down to be win too much
i love her so much and want her to dominate

serenus_2k8
Oct 27th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Lol u aint the only one :D

I think she would be better taking it at her own pace, not bein pressured to over perform this year so that she can really dominate when it matters?

Geisha
Oct 27th, 2007, 03:02 PM
thats a very ambitous schedule
i just hope she gets half of what you said
serena is just too up and down to be win too much
i love her so much and want her to dominate

Ambition schedule? Maybe for Serena.

Melbourne
Miami
Claycourt Tournament
Claycourt Tournament
Paris
Wimbledon
Summer Tournament
New York
Olympic Games
Fall Tournament
Fall Tournament
YEC

12 tournaments or so.

Geisha
Oct 27th, 2007, 03:04 PM
For me, there is no reason that Serena should be losing on hard, grass, or carpet, unless she plays an in-form Venus. Justine is awesome, but I still only give her the edge on clay. Serena has too much talent to lose to Kuznetsova and Dementieva 6-1 6-1, and even Schnyder on clay.

williamsluva
Oct 27th, 2007, 10:07 PM
What's with the Justine obsession? :p

Besides, if Serena is going to put the beatdown on Justine anywhere, I would rather see it done in an act of revenge in the biggest tennis stage on the world in the middle of the season. :devil:

I guess its a personal obsession rather than one that serena would be thinking of. I guess i take it to heart when some f!@#er comes along and steals serenas sunshine with a few lucky wins like Maria did a while ago and now justine, justine has beaten her in 3 consecutive slams so u get the critics claiming that it shows who truly is the better player (I know dont listen to what anyone else says but doesnt it piss you off too, dont u wanna shove it down their throats that she wasnt really at her best when she lost?), And the Aussie has always been a special place for her its the place where all her best memories, I know henin will be on a roll from all the success shes had so its very likely that if both go far they will bump into each other again, i want serena to take her out. And plus the aussie is the one place where she hasnt lost when uninjured (since 01, and even that was a tight affair against defending champ), its so special to her (and to me of course), and now its gonna be a similar surface to the uso as well so it would be a sweet revenge....

Plus grass has always been henins worst surface but yeh im with you, it would be great to see her beat her at Wimbledon (but the world number 1 can only face the world number 3 in the final! and the number 2 and 3 play in the semis, And im sure that as the World number 2, venus will be too strong for Henin to make the final at wimbledon so it doesnt seem very likely).

williamsluva
Oct 27th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I just want Serena to play to her full potential.

This year, I just felt that she should have won more matches, but she wasn't fit enough. Matches that come to mind are the French Open and US Open against Henin. Also, the last two losses, Kuznetsova and Dementieva, were a little disappointing.

If Serena get to a comfortable fitness and she keeps playing matches, she will do amazing. She needs to be healthy, fit, and consistently playing tournaments if she wants to threaten Henin for the top spot.

I do think Serena will do this. So, my aspirations for 2008 are as follows:

- Australian Open champion (I just want to see her win her fourth)

- Miami champion (She has played amazing in the past, so she should win)

- solid claycourt results (Just two or three tournaments, but where she's giving it all she has)

- Wimbledon finals/champion (She's the second-best grasscourter, I just don't think she should be losing here)

- solid summer hardcourt results (a couple of tournaments, playing solid tennis)

- Olympic Medal (Gold would be nice, but I want Venus to win that)

- US Open finalist/champion (see Wimbledon)

- solid fall tournaments (she has the best serve in women's tennis and shouldn't be losing sets 6-1 6-1 indoors, she should win a couple of titles)

Overall, I want her to win four or five titles, one or two Majors/Olympics, and just to play solid tennis.

U B!tch/bastard!!! Venus has a gold medal already, its serenas turn!!! :mad:

Smart schedule though, and she should just be basing hers around the slams to play at least one or 2 warm up tournaments, she cant just walkover top seeds like; Vaidisova, Ivanovic, Jankovic, (whom she likely will meet in the quarters if not earlier, regardless of her ranking), If shes still working her way into form midway through the tourney, if she uses the warm up events as real warmup events her game will be fine tuned come gs time.

serenus_2k8
Oct 27th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Tbf Vaidisova and Ana I are no prob at all and i wouldnt class Vaidisova in the same league!

Jank can be a problem but nothink huge really, I would be very shocked to see Serena lose vs her, though a tough match would not be a shock!

I agree with the other comments though, Serena seems to have a lot more confident and motivation than people ever would have guessed before her AO and Miami wins so '08 has great potential for her, and this potential would rocket if she had the confidence boost from smashing the other 'elite' 7 round Madrid!! :D :D :D