PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne and god damn this is the cheapest grand slam

*timtams*
Sep 21st, 2007, 11:11 AM
Ok, so I realise Ive started this thread a little on the early side, but lets face it, you know i get bored and have nothing else to do. So here it is...the aus tourneys thread.
We are probably all a little bored right now, as there is not much going on, but i, for one, have a aus open trip to plan.
What dates are the qualies and are they free? They could be an option this time around, oh and another thing.

Who is going? :bounce: :bounce:

Ben.
Sep 21st, 2007, 11:29 AM
I'm going to the aussie open for sure :bounce:
and to answer your question becks, the qualies are free :) but i won't be attending the qualies, i'll be attending the the 1st 5 days of the main draw matches. be good to meet up with you though & we can hang out together :)

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Sep 21st, 2007, 11:58 PM
I am going for the first foru days of Main Draw! So Excited! I have Player passes so I can acsess evrywhere exceptht he change rooms!

Ben.
Sep 22nd, 2007, 12:13 AM
wow lucky you :D

Harvs
Sep 22nd, 2007, 01:41 AM
im going the first day of qualies (and more, depending on how the aussies go!)

im also planning on going by ground pass for the first four days at least and a night session in their somewhere...

also got finals tickets for both womens and mens final!! HAHA WOOOO!

im so excited... best time of the year!

Dani12
Sep 22nd, 2007, 03:02 AM
I'm trying to convince someone to come with me for a whole week, but otherwise 4 days around 4th round/quarter final time as always.

aussie_fan
Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:52 AM
probably get a vodafone series ticket or ground passes for first 4 or 5 days. Looking to maybe going to qualifying as well for the 1st day to see some of the aussies that i haven't really seen before

*timtams*
Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
yay! i reckon i might try for the qualies for the first time. As well as the first 10 days of the tourney! Its ground passes all the way for me, unless i can blagq any free tickets, unless anyone wants to offload any player passes? By the way...how did you manage to get them?

OZTENNIS
Sep 22nd, 2007, 09:03 PM
I'm going for 8 days :bounce:

I read in yesterday's Courier Mail that Stosur will play at the 2008 Mondial Australian Women's Hardcourt Championships on the Gold Coast, before the tournament is moved to Brisbane in 2009. Hopefully she's fit, healthy and raring to go

scottsue
Sep 23rd, 2007, 12:06 AM
Wonder who will be picked for the Hopman Cup?

aussie_fan
Sep 23rd, 2007, 06:57 AM
Wonder who will be picked for the Hopman Cup?

Alicia Molik you would think. Men's will be interesting, if the Scud isn't playing then it will be interesting, hewitt and guccione will be in adelaide (guccione has to try and limit the damage), maybe luzcak or alun jones or healey.

*timtams*
Sep 23rd, 2007, 02:12 PM
oooo good final betw szavay (like i can spell) and jankovic, gotta presume agnes won, altho stoopid :smash: eurosport jammed and us here in britain, failed to see the 3rd and slightly crucial set :smash: :smash:
Rock on 2008, goooooooooooooooooooooo sam

*timtams*
Sep 25th, 2007, 05:12 PM
OOOO and royal pines, i think any aussie tourney should be shoved in this thread really!

OZTENNIS
Sep 26th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Alicia Molik you would think. Men's will be interesting, if the Scud isn't playing then it will be interesting, hewitt and guccione will be in adelaide (guccione has to try and limit the damage), maybe luzcak or alun jones or healey.

The Dokic fans in the Dokic forum are trying to press for her to be selected...I think this is impossible.

I would love to see Casey or Jessica Moore play instead of Alicia, seeing it is their hometown...

Medina
Sep 27th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Can you people explain how you get qualy tickets, my favourites are usualy in the qualies

Ben.
Sep 27th, 2007, 10:39 AM
i think qualifying is free, isn't it.

Ben.
Sep 27th, 2007, 10:40 AM
anyone going for the 1st 5 days, i wanna meet some of you :D

*timtams*
Sep 27th, 2007, 11:25 AM
qualies are free, just turn up! crowds are way less, some of the sponsored sites might not be open, but autograph hunting is way easier too, hope this helps

Ben.
Sep 27th, 2007, 11:43 AM
well that confirms the qualies situation :) you should also go to the medibank international in sydney & the hopman cup in perth.

Harvs
Sep 27th, 2007, 01:29 PM
qualies are free:)

Harvs
Sep 27th, 2007, 01:30 PM
i lvoe going during the qualies, u get somnay autographs with all the stars practising, and u also get to see some of the up-and-coming aussies:)

Medina
Sep 28th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Ill meet you harvs, cause my mum said yes !!!!! =]

i know what you look liek :p I jsut want to see Cravero In Action once again =]

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Sep 28th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I may go to the last day of Quallies! Whe shoud all meet up when Main Draw is on and go and watch Sam together!

Brett.
Sep 28th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I'm defintely going to the Aussie Open! :)

aussie_fan
Sep 28th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I may go to the last day of Quallies! Whe shoud all meet up when Main Draw is on and go and watch Sam together!

Hope we do that next year, hopefully sammy is on MCA.

Defiantely getting the Vodafone ticket now for the first 4 days, if the weather is anything like this year, it's going to be handy. Might just get a ground pass on the 5th and 6th days as well.

Medina
Sep 29th, 2007, 03:35 AM
i dont know. I usualy get ground pass tickets to watch AMG, but shes falling down the rankings and may not be seeded :ras: So ill have to wait an see

Ben.
Sep 29th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Hope we do that next year, hopefully sammy is on MCA.

Defiantely getting the Vodafone ticket now for the first 4 days, if the weather is anything like this year, it's going to be handy. Might just get a ground pass on the 5th and 6th days as well.

thats a good idea actually, at least you get to watch tennis while other matches are post poned. have to remind my dad about that.

Medina
Sep 30th, 2007, 01:51 AM
But Doesnt a Ground Pass also get you a ticket to Vodafone ?

Harvs
Sep 30th, 2007, 09:19 AM
ok cbf startin a thread for it... but question (no doubt been brought up before) why is the name of our forum TENNIS AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND... why not something different like all the other names? lol

aussie_fan
Sep 30th, 2007, 02:02 PM
But Doesnt a Ground Pass also get you a ticket to Vodafone ?

no, it used to but for next year they have changed it. That's exactly why i'm getting a vodafone series ticket.

Ben.
Oct 1st, 2007, 03:27 AM
that is ridiculous :o now i'll have to get those vodafone series tickets.

Medina
Oct 1st, 2007, 07:17 AM
Oh that sucks, I will get Vodafone tickets. :sad:

*timtams*
Oct 1st, 2007, 09:00 AM
what sucks? i hate voda arena, its crappy. im not paying extra for that.....is it a lot extra?

how much are ground passes in comparision?

Ben.
Oct 1st, 2007, 09:43 AM
$29 aussie dollars for a ground pass.

reason why i wanna get vodafonea arena series tickets is because a ground pass won't accept you into vodafone arena now & if the temperature goes above 30 degrees or it rains then i'll be able to get into vodafone where the matches are non-stop since it has a roof on it.

aussie_fan
Oct 1st, 2007, 10:45 AM
what sucks? i hate voda arena, its crappy. im not paying extra for that.....is it a lot extra?

how much are ground passes in comparision?

hmmm, i like vodafone, sat very top row one day last year (only seat i could get) and it was ok. I think it's incase of bad weather it's probably a good thing. 3 out of 5 days this year i went there there was at least some sort of delay and spent 2 hours trying in to get to see Alicia and didn't end up getting in.

Ben.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 01:06 AM
i'm gonna get vodafone tickets. one series ticket that covers the 1st 4 days & 1 singles session ticket on the friday since i'm spending 5 days at the open.

*timtams*
Oct 3rd, 2007, 11:30 AM
how much are voda tickets? I went in there a couple of times this year, i prefer mca and the other showcourts, but i know what u mean about the heat delays etc.... saw raysur dbles in voda... it got moved i think

aussie_fan
Oct 3rd, 2007, 02:35 PM
how much are voda tickets? I went in there a couple of times this year, i prefer mca and the other showcourts, but i know what u mean about the heat delays etc.... saw raysur dbles in voda... it got moved i think

series tickets for the first 4 days are $140, single sessions depend on the day, the first day is about $37 and prices slowly increase during the week, go to:

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=AOPRICES08&view=AO

That has a list of all the prices there.

Series tickets come out tomorrow.

Renalicious
Oct 3rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
I'm going. For one day. Probably sometime during when the 4r matches happen.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Oct 3rd, 2007, 11:06 PM
Is a Vodaphone ticket also a ground pass?

aussie_fan
Oct 4th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Is a Vodaphone ticket also a ground pass?

yeah, vodafone ticket gets you everywhere besides RLA. Sadly now, now a ground pass doesn't get you into vodafone.

Got the series tickets this morning.

Ben.
Oct 4th, 2007, 12:14 AM
yeah same here. what row, seats & catergory are you positioned in Matt?

Ben.
Oct 4th, 2007, 12:14 AM
i bought the volley series package

aussie_fan
Oct 4th, 2007, 12:23 AM
got the volley series package.

In section 28, seat P 245

Looking at the map, it looks like a good seat, it's behind the court.

aussie_fan
Oct 4th, 2007, 12:24 AM
What seats did you get Ben?

Ben.
Oct 4th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Section 33, Seats O 377-376, Catergory 2. the other one is my dad's seat.

I'm seated on the right hand side of the court.

Ben.
Oct 4th, 2007, 12:35 AM
last year in vodafone i sat in section 20A, near where the players come out. i felt pretty lucky :)

aussie_fan
Oct 4th, 2007, 12:46 AM
yeah, 20A was a ground pass seat last year, i remember sitting there one day too last year.

Wish you could pick your exact seat instead of just shade and sun. What time did you get them? Seems like the tickets go fast.

Ben.
Oct 4th, 2007, 02:28 AM
yeah, 20A was a ground pass seat last year, i remember sitting there one day too last year.

Wish you could pick your exact seat instead of just shade and sun. What time did you get them? Seems like the tickets go fast.

i got my tickets at around 9:05. yeah it would be cool to pick your tickets, but i know where you sit so maybe i might say hi to you.

aussie_fan
Oct 4th, 2007, 05:08 AM
i got my tickets at around 9:05. yeah it would be cool to pick your tickets, but i know where you sit so maybe i might say hi to you.

yeah, about 9.05 as well, very curious at how they decide to pick who seats where. I think it was very busy this morning

Looking forward to it already.

Ben.
Oct 4th, 2007, 11:33 AM
yeah, about 9.05 as well, very curious at how they decide to pick who seats where. I think it was very busy this morning

Looking forward to it already.

must of been or otherwise i probably wouldn't be placed in this section. i think anywhere you sit its still good just as long as get to see tennis with a reserved seat.

i'm so excited!

Brett.
Oct 5th, 2007, 11:20 AM
$29 aussie dollars for a ground pass.

reason why i wanna get vodafonea arena series tickets is because a ground pass won't accept you into vodafone arena now & if the temperature goes above 30 degrees or it rains then i'll be able to get into vodafone where the matches are non-stop since it has a roof on it.

Whoa! that's expensive. It was 20 bucks this year at AO.

*timtams*
Oct 6th, 2007, 12:26 AM
ARSE, why are voda series packages no longer on sale? i might have to get gpass series instead

Ben.
Oct 6th, 2007, 06:05 AM
they only go on sale for 2 days

aussie_fan
Oct 6th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Whoa! that's expensive. It was 20 bucks this year at AO.

no, it's same price, it was $29 last year

Ben.
Oct 6th, 2007, 08:36 AM
I got a Vodafone Arena single session ticket for Friday 18th & I'm in Section 35, Row Z, Seats 440-439, Catergory: Mezzanine.

*timtams*
Oct 6th, 2007, 10:07 AM
i got a 5 day ground pass, that means i can go like mon, tues, thurs, sun and mon etc if i want right? its any 5 days????
I may get a few voda tickets for the first week also and then use ground pass the following week etc, unsure yet of what dates i am going for!

Brett.
Oct 6th, 2007, 10:52 AM
i got a 5 day ground pass, that means i can go like mon, tues, thurs, sun and mon etc if i want right? its any 5 days????
I may get a few voda tickets for the first week also and then use ground pass the following week etc, unsure yet of what dates i am going for!

Yes, you can go on any days, because the AO will give you five tickets. Ground passes are always available when you get to Melbourne Park.

Renalicious
Oct 6th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Hey people, I need some help.

I am about to buy tickets but I have to know - is a 'single session' at say, Rod Laver only allowing me to see one match in the Arena or can I stay there the whole day?

Renalicious
Oct 6th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I got my tickets.

(Vodafone Arena Single Sessions 21/1)

AREA SECTION ROW SEAT/S CATEGORY
SHADE S42 U 503-500 mezzanine

(Rod Laver Arena Single Sessions 22/2)

AREA SECTION ROW SEAT/S CATEGORY
SHADE S64 KK 309-306 upper

*timtams*
Oct 7th, 2007, 12:45 AM
thanks for the info guys! may get a few voda tickets, they are cheap as chips, so its not gonna break the bank unlike wimble:rain:don

Ben.
Oct 7th, 2007, 01:02 AM

I am about to buy tickets but I have to know - is a 'single session' at say, Rod Laver only allowing me to see one match in the Arena or can I stay there the whole day?

you can stay there the whole day,and if you leave to go out & watch the other matches on the other courts you can come back into RLA anytime you want.

Renalicious
Oct 7th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Ok thanks for the info!

aussie_fan
Oct 7th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Got RLA tickets with my family for the fifth day, section 42, row LL, not great seats as they are in the sun supposedly but the good thing it's on the opposite side of the umpire so at least that isn't blocking the way so their still good.

Will be first time ever in RLA so that'll be exciting.

Ben.
Oct 7th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Got RLA tickets with my family for the fifth day, section 42, row LL, not great seats as they are in the sun supposedly but the good thing it's on the opposite side of the umpire so at least that isn't blocking the way so their still good.

Will be first time ever in RLA so that'll be exciting.

i was lucky enough to sit in the shade last year in RLA. RLA isn't that bad where I sat, but VFA is better i reckon to be honest. but RLA is still good & i'm sure you'll enjoy it. i remember sitting for a night session where mofils played baghdatis & the atmosphere was electric.

Brett.
Oct 7th, 2007, 11:34 AM

You can't watch it for the whole day because i remember that you have to buy day session or night session ticket.

When I bought the RLA ticket (day session), i spent my time in RLA till about 6pm. They told me i wasn't allowed to stay after night session matches.

Renalicious
Oct 7th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I got shade tickets for RLA. I'm glad I got them. :D

^ Oh well, that's okay, I'm not going to stay until 6pm anyway...

Belco
Oct 7th, 2007, 05:26 PM
few pages late but im going aus open :bounce:

*timtams*
Oct 7th, 2007, 10:43 PM
yeah that is right...RLA has day and nights session tickets, they kick you out on the last day session match, for a new bunch of ticket holders to come in, you can however, wander the grounds for other matches still being played......So with a day session RLA ticket, you cant get into the night session also! Hope that clarifies!
:woohoo: cant wait for aus open, i wonder if i can get to eastbourne, wimby and uso again in one year, perhaps a couple of days in france too, would make it my own little grand slam! :rain:

Renalicious
Oct 8th, 2007, 03:15 AM
I wanna make it to the Hopman Cup (I live in Perth) But I never get to go because I always go overseas in that December-January period. :sad:

*timtams*
Oct 9th, 2007, 04:38 PM
right im hoping to go to aus open, eastbourne and wimby in 2008, hoping i can squeeze one of the states tourneys in too, but it might be a bit of a push with my lack of holiday time off etc-who else has plans... there is a thread in ss website too

Renalicious
Oct 15th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Question: Have any of you got your tickets yet? Like physically got them?

*timtams*
Oct 15th, 2007, 03:30 PM
mine are e ticket type of things and i have to trade them in at international will call when i get there

Ben.
Oct 15th, 2007, 09:21 PM
no not yet, i collect my tickets when i get to the actual venue

aussie_fan
Oct 15th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Question: Have any of you got your tickets yet? Like physically got them?

i think it's meant to take a few weeks by delievery.

Renalicious
Oct 16th, 2007, 10:38 AM
ok, thanks for telling.

aussie_fan
Oct 17th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Got my tickets in the mail today, came in a nice little enevlope.

Ben.
Oct 17th, 2007, 08:07 AM
kool :)

Renalicious
Oct 17th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Cool...hope mine will come soon.

Renalicious
Oct 18th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Mine has arrived :)

Keadz
Oct 18th, 2007, 10:59 PM
My friend Nathan said his uncle would get us the night session quarter final tickets, so I am very happy with that. I will also probably look at the Wild Card play offs and qualifying, both free :) Then I will get a ground pass for either the first or second round.

Ben.
Oct 19th, 2007, 08:57 AM
kool keadz :yeah:

*timtams*
Oct 19th, 2007, 04:56 PM
:woohoo: vodafone series tix are back on sale, thats mine purchased, YAY! I am in the sun-i love the sun, plus in the shade ur behind the umpire and have restricted viewing! Im in S9 and S10 somewhere, tix to be collected at willcall, :woohoo: still not booked a flight, nevermind!

Ben.
Oct 19th, 2007, 11:06 PM
nice becks :) i prefer to sit in the shade, gets a bit too hot for me.

OZTENNIS
Oct 20th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Anyone else finding it weird without Sam on tour ATM?

Ben.
Oct 20th, 2007, 07:15 AM
yeah i do, plus her not playing the YEC in doubles will be quite weird.

aussie_fan
Oct 20th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Anyone else finding it weird without Sam on tour ATM?

yeah, feels like something is missing, i remember last year following some of her matches on indoors.

OZTENNIS
Oct 23rd, 2007, 10:33 AM
Hope to see you back to full health ready for the 2008 season :)

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Nov 8th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Only 2 months away now! Got my Goldy tickets today! And im all prepared for AO!

OZTENNIS
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Stosur in race to be fit for Hardcourts

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:13pm AEDT
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200705/r146800_516713.jpg (http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200705/r146800_516715.jpg)Fitness doubt ... Samantha Stosur (File photo) (Getty Images: Clive Brunskill)

Map: Ashmore 4214 (http://www.abc.net.au/news/maps/map.htm?lat=-28&long=153.3667&caption=Ashmore 4214)

Tournament organisers are unsure if Samantha Stosur will be at peak fitness for the Australian Women's Hardcourts event at Ashmore on the Gold Coast beginning in December.
Stosur, Australia's top-ranked female player at number 47 in the world, will use the tournament as part of her preparation for January's Australian Open in Melbourne.
Illness saw the 23-year-old miss Australia's Fed Cup tie on the Gold Coast in July and she is still struggling to become fully fit.
Australian Women's Hardcourts director Liz Smylie said she was hopeful Stosur would find form and fitness in time for the tournament to be staged at the Royal Pines Resort.
"She's still struggling a little bit, she was in the States," she said.
"But it is fantastic that she is going to be here, she is Australia's number one player.
"This event gave her a start if you like, she was here three or four years ago and it's always nice to welcome back players the calibre of Sam."
The Australian Women's Hardcourts begins on December 30 and concludes on January 5.

aussie_fan
Nov 15th, 2007, 09:11 PM
To be honest, I would rather Sam come back fully fit so there less likely of a chance of a setback like there have been this year. Hopefully, she'll be alright by GC.

Ben.
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:49 AM
good point, i want her to play GC but if she can't then i think its for the best.

*timtams*
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:41 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Not long till the AO now :bounce: :bounce: Flights are booked, need a few internal flights tho, as my uk flight puts me in bris :bounce: Cant wait! (HEAT)(TENNIS)(BEACH)

Mr.Kardashian
Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:34 AM
omg im going to the Aussie Open again this year.... getting a 5 day ground pass thingy for $99. hopefully will get to see sam on MCA

Harvs
Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:44 AM
exciting:):):)

Ben.
Nov 22nd, 2007, 06:03 AM
nice :D

Medina
Nov 27th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Sam on Margret court, i really doubt that, i really hope that happens to..

See if we can meet eachother, i might be meeting harvs and ben :)

aussie_fan
Nov 27th, 2007, 11:57 AM
She was on MCA last year in her first round amtch and considering ehr ranking has dropped a little bit, unlessshe gets a high seed in the first round, she'll probably be on MCA.

Ben.
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:08 AM
well lets hope she plays on MCA :)

*timtams*
Dec 4th, 2007, 05:29 PM
who's ordered t-shirts?

*timtams*
Dec 16th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Hola :wavey: so where is sam meant to play first (if she is able to)...Im heading to melbourne for the 10th, there are free qualies at the tennis centre is that right?

xx

Ben.
Dec 17th, 2007, 02:59 AM
yes qualies are free :)

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dec 17th, 2007, 07:23 AM
who's ordered t-shirts?

Me :D

smit101
Dec 21st, 2007, 06:56 AM
Can't wait for Sam to return hope she is back to full fitness and can win a few matches

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dec 22nd, 2007, 03:24 AM
Can't wait for Sam to return hope she is back to full fitness and can win a few matches

Same here, I got my Smash em Sam tops today :D

Ben.
Dec 22nd, 2007, 04:23 AM
did you, nice! i was gonna get one, but i was given one by someone who i sat with at the Fed Cup this year so I'll wear that.

OZTENNIS
Dec 22nd, 2007, 08:09 PM
Not long now til Sam's back on court :bounce:

OZTENNIS
Dec 22nd, 2007, 08:10 PM
How far do you guys think she'll go at the Gold Coast?

I think she'll do well to win a match at this early stage

Ben.
Dec 22nd, 2007, 09:17 PM
if sam get a good draw she will get at least past the first round, thats all i'm gonna say :)

Harvs
Dec 23rd, 2007, 10:11 AM
too hard to tell... we have no clue how shes playing:(

OZTENNIS
Dec 23rd, 2007, 07:06 PM
Apparently she's withdrawn from Gold Coast and Australian Open...tobi posted a thread in GM
:sad:

Droolv
Dec 23rd, 2007, 09:40 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

PLEASE DONT PULL OUT SAM!! :sad: :bigcry:

Ben.
Dec 23rd, 2007, 09:42 PM
OH NO!!! :sobbing:

Harvs
Dec 23rd, 2007, 09:43 PM
omg. omg. omg. omg. omg.

u have to be fucking kidding...

:(

Mr.Kardashian
Dec 23rd, 2007, 10:00 PM
stupid cattle tick! (lol).

this is so bad i feel terrible for sam imagine how she feels having to pull out of the aussie summer.... get well soon sam.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dec 23rd, 2007, 10:16 PM
I am so pissed!!! I even had my shirts and everything!

aussie_fan
Dec 24th, 2007, 01:59 AM
This is horrible news, poor, poor, sam :sad:

Ben.
Dec 24th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Ill Stosur out of Australian Open
Monday December 24, 4:12 PM, AAP

Australia's top-ranked tennis player Samantha Stosur has been forced out of next month's Australian Open.

Stosur, ranked 46 in the world, has battled illness for the last half of this year and admitted on Monday she was not yet fit enough to compete in the Australian tour.

The 23-year-old was hospitalised in Florida in September after being diagnosed with viral meningitis, an illness which inflames the soft tissue membranes surrounding the brain.

She also contracted an unrelated virus in July that forced her withdrawal from the Fed Cup tie between Australia and the Ukraine and ruined her US summer circuit.

Stosur was unable to compete on the WTA Tour for most of the last half of the season and she only resumed training three weeks ago.

Because of the lack of preparation time, Stosur has also withdrawn from her home event, the Australian Women's Hardcourts on the Gold Coast.

She conceded she had run out of time to get prepared for the Australian summer.

"I am very disappointed I won't be able to compete during the Australian summer," Stosur said.

"I have been back training for the last three weeks, but I've realised that I won't be fully ready to compete at the Australian Women's Hardcourts, which starts in six days, and I've also withdrawn from the Australian Open.

"I always love competing at home in Australia and have had some of my best results here, which makes the decision not to play especially hard.

"But I need concentrate on the long term goal of getting my health and fitness 100 per cent again, so I don't want to start competing again until I'm fully ready."

Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley said he was disappointed for Stosur.

"Sam is a very proud Australian and I know she was really looking forward to her home Grand Slam," Tiley said.

"I wish her a speedy recovery and hope she can be fit, healthy and back on court at full strength soon," Tiley said.

Stosur is expected to continue her training on the Gold Coast.

Wedgie619
Dec 24th, 2007, 05:28 AM
bad news for sam... do you think that she'll do commentary at the ao, thats what alicia did????

Ben.
Dec 24th, 2007, 05:55 AM
dunno exactly, I think she'll just keep on training on the Gold Coast & maybe she might come to the open & chill out.

Harvs
Dec 24th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I know its the same as every other article pretty much, but the WTATOUR.COM has acknowledged Stosur with an article:)

An illness-interrupted preparation has forced Australia's No.1 women's player Samantha Stosur to withdraw from Australian Open 2008.

Stosur was unable to compete on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour for most of the last half of the season and she only resumed training three weeks ago.

Because of the lack of preparation time Stosur has also withdrawn from her home event, the Mondial Australian Women's Hardcourts on the Gold Coast.

On Monday she conceded she had run out of time to get prepared for the Australian summer.

"I am very disappointed I won't be able to compete during the Australian summer," Stosur said. "I have been back training for the last three weeks, but I've realised that I won't be fully ready to compete at the Mondial Australian Women's Hardcourts, which starts in six days, and I've also withdrawn from the Australian Open.

"I always love competing at home in Australia and have had some of my best results here, which makes the decision not to play especially hard," Stosur said. "But I need concentrate on the long-term goal of getting my health and fitness 100 percent again, so I don't want to start competing again until I'm fully ready."

Australian Open Tournament Director Craig Tiley said he was disappointed for Stosur because he knows how much the Australian Open means to her.

"Sam is a very proud Australian and I know she was really looking forward to her home Grand Slam. I wish her a speedy recovery and hope she can be fit, healthy and back on court at full strength soon," Tiley said.

Stosur is expected to continue her training on the Gold Coast.

Ben.
Dec 24th, 2007, 10:51 PM
yeah at least they are concerned about her :)

*timtams*
Dec 24th, 2007, 11:46 PM
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuck
ahhhh well nevermind, sammys health comes first, i can watch tipsarevic instead, (nice eye candy for me)

Mr.Kardashian
Dec 26th, 2007, 09:07 PM
i remember at the 07 AO i went over to MCA hoping to see sam play because Tipsarevic was ABOUT to beat nalbandian but then he fought back, and by the time nalbandian finally won the heat rule came in and no stosur ;(

OZTENNIS
Dec 30th, 2007, 07:42 PM
ARTICLE FROM HERALD SUN

SIDELINED Sam Stosur yesterday made a sad visit to the hometown tournament she will now never win and vowed to give her recovery from viral meningitis all the time it needs.
Stosur said at the Australian Women's Hardcourts tournament that delaying her return until March meant she could maintain a WTA protected ranking in the 30s.
Stosur's ranking has fallen to No. 46 since July when she contracted the virus and she is facing the loss of all ranking points from her 2007 Gold Coast quarter-final and second-round exits from the Sydney International and the Australian Open.
But if Stosur returns in March she will be able to choose eight tournaments over 12 months from the date of her comeback event in which the protected ranking will apply.
"If I stay out six months, I'm eligible for it. I'd be what ranking I was after the US Open (in September)," she said.
"It's better than to be what I'll be at the end of the month. It's weird being here and not being on court, but I have to give my body time to recover."
Stosur is unable to train for more than two or three days in succession.
"When there's no unusual fatigue after two or three days of training, I'll know I've turned the corner - or when I don't need a sleep in the afternoon after I've been for a run. It's just a matter of time," she said.
Stosur, 23, lives a 10-minute drive from the Hardcourts venue at Royal Pines and is dismayed she will not have another chance to win the Gold Coast event, which will be merged with the Adelaide men's event to form January 2009's $1 million-plus Brisbane International.
"It's kind of sad I won't get another shot," the 2005 Gold Coast finalist said. "I'm sure I'll play when it moves to Brisbane, which will still be in the state, just not my home city."
Stosur said that her coach when she came back would be Fed Cup captain David Taylor, a former mentor of Martina Hingis and Alicia Molik.
"I've come to the tournament to do some paperwork, see a few friends and talk to the physios," she said.
"I'll keep watching the tennis (on television) after I train. I always like watching the Aussie Open matches, even when I'm down there."
Stosur's coach at the US Open, American Adam Peterson, has returned to work with Lindsay Davenport.

Ben.
Dec 30th, 2007, 10:34 PM
all the best to sam, glad shes still got some determination in her :D

*timtams*
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
i remember at the 07 AO i went over to MCA hoping to see sam play because Tipsarevic was ABOUT to beat nalbandian but then he fought back, and by the time nalbandian finally won the heat rule came in and no stosur ;( Ahhh yes, the marathon match, which Tipsarevic was about to win, then it got a little hotter, he put some bandaid bit of crap on his nose, it went to 5 sets and he lost, gutted. Extreme heat kicked in, wine tent for me, no sammy match, gutted!
See you guys in aus, i should be there on the 10th or 11th cant recall which, its snowing here-get me the hell out of this country!

Ben.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:03 PM
what matches will you see becks if sam isn't playing then?

LordByron
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Just read Sam's journal on her website, and she is going to be working with Fox Sports in Melbourne for the Aussie Open, so maybe we can at least see her on tv!

*timtams*
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I'll be looking out for eye candy; roddick, tipsarevic, djokovic. Will happily watch davenport, bammer, schynder. I dunno really i'll just wander around. Do you think rayvenport will be a dbles team?
Anyways see you guys there, I set off on tuesday :woohoo:

Ben.
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Hopefully Lindsay does play with Lisa, although Lisa is playing with Schiavone in Sydney at the moment so who knows.

Only six days to go :)

scottsue
Jan 11th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Just read Sam's journal on her website, and she is going to be working with Fox Sports in Melbourne for the Aussie Open, so maybe we can at least see her on tv!

Welcome aboard LordByron.

Droolv
Jan 16th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I was listening to Sam commentating Jankovic vs Gallovits today and was wondering does ANYONE know when Sam will be back? :confused:

Also is her ranking in the 30s protected because of the virus?

Ben.
Jan 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM
i spotted sam just near me when i was going into MCA on wednesday.

Droolv
Jan 18th, 2008, 10:41 PM
She was also in Caseys box last night ;)

Will she make her comeback in March :confused: