PDA

View Full Version : Davenport dreaming after fairytale comeback trophy

cheo23
Sep 16th, 2007, 12:05 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070916/capt.ai10509161131.indonesia_bali_open_tennis_ai10 5.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070916/capt.ai10609161133.indonesia_bali_open_tennis_ai10 6.jpg

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/108442.html

Bali, Indonesia - Lindsay Davenport completed a dream scenario on Sunday, winning the Commonwealth Bank Classic for the second time as she made a return to competition after one year out of tennis. The unseeded American, whose 234 ranking makes her the lowest-ranked woman to lift a trophy on the WTA this season, defeated second seed Daniela Hantuchova for the seventh time without a loss, winning 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 in just under two hours.

Davenport, who gave birth to a son Jagger in June, had quit tennis last September saying it was time to start a family. But she found the sporting pangs too strong to resist.
She is travelling in Asia and will play Beijing next week with her son, mother, a nanny and a hitting partner along on the trip.

"This is just unbelievable," said the winner. "I'm so happy and surprised. I never thought I could go this far so soon.

"It's so great to play here, I have enjoyed all week. I'm glad I could make such a comeback and win here."

Davenport joins elite company in winning a big event in her first tournament back. Monica Seles did it at 1995 Toronto and Serena Williams at 2004 Miami.

Davenport won Bali in 2005 on her debut appearance and reached the semi-finals a year ago. She now owns 52 career titles.

Hentuchova remains on two career titles after winning Indian Wells in 2002 and last spring. The 24-year-old recently returned to the Top 10 for the first time since September, 2003.

"Lindsay is an inspiration to mums all over the world," said Hantuchova. "I have to congratulate her."

"She's back on top of her game and I'm glad to see her back."

Davenport earned the first break of the early-evening final, taking a 2-1 lead on her fourth break point opportunity of the game.

But the Slovak second seed would not be denied, getting straight back into the contest as she squared it at two games each.

Davenport broke once again to lead 5-4 as Hantuchova produced a forehand error with the unseeded American serving out the set a game later on her second chance with a volley winner into the empty court.

Hantuchova rallied early in the second set to break for 3-1 and take her lead to 4-1 before Davenport cold react, moving quickly to level the match at one set each after one hour, 20 minutes.

The American took control for 3-1 and broke again in the last game to wrap up the dream win.

mankind
Sep 16th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Davenport joins elite company in winning a big event in her first tournament back. Monica Seles did it at 1995 Toronto and Serena Williams at 2004 Miami.

Big event? :tape:

But seriously, congrats Lindsay on beating 2 girls who have been in the top 10 this year. She's still got it.

mkatan
Sep 16th, 2007, 12:10 PM
congrats to Lindsay very gracious remarks from Daniella

Harvs
Sep 16th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Woo Well Done Lindsay!

Thanx4nothin
Sep 16th, 2007, 12:12 PM
How many threads are you going to start about this exactly?

Jan
Sep 16th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I feel as though I am in a dream too and I don't want to wake up.

Well done Liindsay and lovely comment from Daniella.

Lindsayfanumber1
Sep 16th, 2007, 09:20 PM
:)

sweet_angel23
Sep 17th, 2007, 12:23 PM
congratz =]
great comeback start =]