PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open

imogen
Sep 15th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Hi Everyone

I'm thinking about jumping over the ditch (from NZ) to the Australian Open, need to book my leave in early.

However, I've never been to Melbourne before but have heard it's a nice city to visit...but have been to Sydney and Gold Coast. Can anyone tell good place to stay i.e. close to city, reasonable in price and can get to Melbourne Park relatively easily.

Thanks

Imogen :worship: :worship: :worship:

eck
Sep 15th, 2007, 06:54 AM
I'm not too sure about the cost, but I think you should stay near Flinders Street.
There's a tram #70 that takes you from Flinders Street Station to Melbourne Park free of charge, providing you have a ticket for that day. It's like, 3-4 stops from Flinders.

Anna F'd Enrique
Sep 15th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Masha F'd Igor

The Kaz
Sep 15th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Masha F'd Igor

Masha F'd Nole

:o Get a life or get laid :o

Hey Imogen, with accomadation try to get something in the suburb of Richmond which is only a few minutes from Melbourne Park...that said the tram system is good so anywhere in the CBD is fine :wavey:

hingis-seles
Sep 15th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Hey, I'm planning on making a trip to Sydney and Melbourne in 2008 as well. :hearts:

I'll read advice off this thread too. :p

hdfb
Sep 15th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Hey Imogen, with accomadation try to get something in the suburb of Richmond which is only a few minutes from Melbourne Park...that said the tram system is good so anywhere in the CBD is fine :wavey:

Richmond is probably a better choice as the grounds for the AO are closest to Richmond train station.

Anna F'd Enrique
Sep 15th, 2007, 09:37 AM

No I don't need to get a life or get laid hun. This whole "get a life" bit is so overused. :o

Harvs
Sep 15th, 2007, 10:20 AM
The Hilton is about a 3 minute walk to the courts and is easily walkable to the city:)

DutchieGirl
Sep 15th, 2007, 11:56 AM
How much do you want to spend? Hotel or hostel? There are lots of good and fairly cheap hotels or hostels on or very nearby Flinders st. Victoria Hotel is half a block from Flinder's St, and it's cheap...(about $80AUD per night for a single), or there are a couple of hostel's along Flinders St. Tram to tennis is free with a tennis ticket - but it's not like they can get on to check anyone's tickets anyway as you are crammed in like sardine's. ;) Richmond would be more expensive if you were going to stay there.

DutchieGirl
Sep 15th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Richmond is probably a better choice as the grounds for the AO are closest to Richmond train station.

:scratch: The tram stops right outside Melbourne Park...that's closer. :p

DutchieGirl
Sep 15th, 2007, 11:58 AM
...;11644432']The Hilton is about a 3 minute walk to the courts and is easily walkable to the city:)

:haha: Sure if you can afford $200+ a night. :p Hyatt's also near there, which would be more expensive... :p

Xanadu11
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I think the CBD is the best place to stay, that way when you're not at the tennis you have access to all the best places to go out. Melbourne is sooo easy to get around with trams, so you're pretty open with where you can stay. I stayed on Lonsdale street last year. I'm not sure i'm going to go this year though, it was so rainy on the weekend we went.

Harvs
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:04 PM
:haha: Sure if you can afford $200+ a night. :p Hyatt's also near there, which would be more expensive... :p

lol well they didnt give us a price range now did they...

eck
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I'm so lucky to stay in CBD :p

DutchieGirl
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:09 PM
...;11645589']lol well they didnt give us a price range now did they...

No, they didn't. But your average person coming to the tennis own't be able to afford somewhere like The Hilton. :p

eck
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:11 PM
There's a uni lodge near that tram stop. I'm not sure whether they allow tourists to stay, but I think you can, not entirely sure.

hingis-seles
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I've stayed at the Hilton during a bunch of vacations, but this time I'm paying for the trip not my dad, so those hotels are kinda out of the question. :p

I have enough to stay at a cheaper hotel though, rather than a hostel. The tennis will take up most of my time day and night, but besides the tennis what else is there to do and see? Also, how do we know who's at the Autograph Island, etc?

Is it easy to get tickets or do I buy them online from before? Night sessions? The big tickets [Rod Laver Arena? QF/SF/F]?

hingis-seles
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:13 PM
What's CBD?

eck
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Central Business District

eck
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I've stayed at the Hilton during a bunch of vacations, but this time I'm paying for the trip not my dad, so those hotels are kinda out of the question. :p

I have enough to stay at a cheaper hotel though, rather than a hostel. The tennis will take up most of my time day and night, but besides the tennis what else is there to do and see? Also, how do we know who's at the Autograph Island, etc?

Is it easy to get tickets or do I buy them online from before? Night sessions? The big tickets [Rod Laver Arena? QF/SF/F]?

I think tickets for RLA go on sell somewhere this month to next month.
And they are really hard to get though.
The last time I did (for 06 QF) I got it a few days before it started but it was at the very back.
It can vary alot.

DutchieGirl
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:17 PM
There's a uni lodge near that tram stop. I'm not sure whether they allow tourists to stay, but I think you can, not entirely sure.

There are a couple of backpacker's near there too - there's enough choice of hotel's in that area - along Swanston St, even in Bourke St mall (Causeway Inn on the mall) - Mercure is in one of the "Little" St's - I think it's Little Collins...Victoria Hotel is also on Little Collins, there are other hotels up and down Bourke St, and plenty along Spencer St, where you can walk to the bottom and take the tram (there's vibe, a backpackers place, Explorers (although I think it's closed and being turned into a hostel), Crowne Plaza is down the other end of Spencer St (but it's majorly expensive)...and that's just off the top of my head, but plenty of hotels in the area. Just depends what you want to pay.

Oh, and I *think* you can stay at Unilodge as a "hotel stay".

eck
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:19 PM
I always thought the hotels in the city would be expensive, cause well, it's in the city. :o

DutchieGirl
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Regarding tickets - the reason you would have gotten a ticket up the back for the QF is because they have "packages" that go on sale at the beginning of October...you can but tickets for like the first 5 days on RLA, or the first 4 days on Vodafone, etc...well that was last year, I'm not sure how they are doing it this time. But people who buy the packages always get the better seats of course. Also, single session tickets go on sale in December, so you were probably lucky to even get a ticket for the QFs! So if you want tickets for the "big" days - ie finals, it's really best to buy then very early, or else you can really miss out. Night sessions can also be hard to get tickets to sometimes - the weekends are the worst for tickets, coz ovbiously people are off work, and might go to the tennis for the day.

Autograph Island always has a sign out the front saying who will be there that day, so you can check it in the morning (although sometimes they add people in the middle of the day).

There is heaps to see and do in Melbourne - you can go to St, Kilda beach, Lygon St for food, Chapel St for shopping...etc etc...

DutchieGirl
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I always thought the hotels in the city would be expensive, cause well, it's in the city. :o

No absoluely not - but if you book early it's better - they often have specials on. I stayed 5 nights at Victoria Hotel, and it was only $79 per night for a single - but I actually had a double bed! So you can maybe get a double for $100 or so. Causeway Inn on the mall is generally about $115-$130 for a single, you can pay more of course, or less if you want to stay at a backpackers. But Causeway and Victoria are both 3 star hotels, not dumps or anything. ;) But like I said, you need to book early then, because of course they will fill up quick, and then they will charge more if you leave it late to book. ;)

(I am a travel consultant). :angel:

eck
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:25 PM
On Sale Dates Australian Open 2008
Rod Laver Arena and Vodafone Arena Series Packages
Thursday 4th October 2007 AEST 9.00am

Rod Laver Arena and Vodafone Arena Single Session Tickets and Ground Passes
Saturday 6th October 2007 AEST 9.00am

http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/image.aspx?assetId=RDM39255.6800285301

Did GPass get expensive again :o

If you like Dim Sum, Chinatown's Shark Fin is the way to go :)

eck
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:25 PM
No absoluely not - but if you book early it's better - they often have specials on. I stayed 5 nights at Victoria Hotel, and it was only $79 per night for a single - but I actually had a double bed! So you can maybe get a double for $100 or so. Causeway Inn on the mall is generally about $115-$130 for a single, you can pay more of course, or less if you want to stay at a backpackers. But Causeway and Victoria are both 3 star hotels, not dumps or anything. ;) But like I said, you need to book early then, because of course they will fill up quick, and then they will charge more if you leave it late to book. ;)

(I am a travel consultant). :angel:

Good info you got there, will do well with all Melbourne tourists. :)
I stay in an apartment in the city :p

DutchieGirl
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:29 PM
On Sale Dates Australian Open 2008
Rod Laver Arena and Vodafone Arena Series Packages
Thursday 4th October 2007 AEST 9.00am

Rod Laver Arena and Vodafone Arena Single Session Tickets and Ground Passes
Saturday 6th October 2007 AEST 9.00am

http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/image.aspx?assetId=RDM39255.6800285301

Did GPass get expensive again :o

If you like Dim Sum, Chinatown's Shark Fin is the way to go :)

Wow! They are putting single session and groundies on sale in October this year! :eek: That's new! (Well the ground passes usually went on sale in December).

Yeah, GPs are getting more expensive all the time...but the 5 ground passes for $99 isn't bad - it's pretty good value. Makes it $20 per day (as opposed to $29 or whatever it is now). ;)

DutchieGirl
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Good info you got there, will do well with all Melbourne tourists. :)
I stay in an apartment in the city :p

Well, I'm a born and bred Melburnian, and I work just off the mall. :p So I should have good info. ;)

Yeah, there are quite a few apartments too - a few Oaks ones (Oaks on Collins, and some other locations). Those are nice too.

eck
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:32 PM
I never really looked at GP.
They always sell it anyways :p
I'm still not sure whether I should go. :o

eck
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Well, I'm a born and bred Melburnian, and I work just off the mall. :p So I should have good info. ;)

Yeah, there are quite a few apartments too - a few Oaks ones (Oaks on Collins, and some other locations). Those are nice too.

I'm at Spring Street.
Corner of Latrobe. :yeah:

DutchieGirl
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I never really looked at GP.
They always sell it anyways :p
I'm still not sure whether I should go. :o

I still don't know if my boss will give me time off work! :weirdo: He'd better! :armed: All I have so far is "it should be OK" :lol:. Well I will have been there almost a year then, so I'm allowed 4 weeks a year. ;) I want 3 in Jan (hopefully Perth, Sydney and 1st week AO). ;)

DutchieGirl
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I'm at Spring Street.
Corner of Latrobe. :yeah:

Oh, you're up THAT end *snob* :p

eck
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I still don't know if my boss will give me time off work! :weirdo: He'd better! :armed: All I have so far is "it should be OK" :lol:. Well I will have been there almost a year then, so I'm allowed 4 weeks a year. ;) I want 3 in Jan (hopefully Perth, Sydney and 1st week AO). ;)

Oooh cool.
I don't wanna jinx JH :p

eck
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Oh, you're up THAT end *snob* :p

:speakles:
I'm still a student :smash:
:p
It's just an apartment fit for 2-3. :p

DutchieGirl
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I'm still a student :idiot:
:p
It's just an apartment fit for 2-3. :p

oh :lol: I thought you meant you worked up there...coz it's where all the government and lawyers work. :p

DutchieGirl
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Oooh cool.
I don't wanna jinx JH :p

:bolt: No comment. :p

eck
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:40 PM
No, no.
I'm too stupid to be a lawyer. :weirdo:

Well I'm not sure. I went 04,05,06, 07(1 day though)
04 she won, 05 she missed, 06 she lost, and the one day I went to AO this year was seeing Jankovic/Richie :D
And I got Hingis' siggy + Richie + Ana.
I was upset I didn't get Janko's though.
I totally misjudged where she wanted to sign autographs :(

DutchieGirl
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:45 PM
No, no.
I'm too stupid to be a lawyer. :weirdo:

Well I'm not sure. I went 04,05,06, 07(1 day though)
04 she won, 05 she missed, 06 she lost, and the one day I went to AO this year was seeing Jankovic/Richie :D
And I got Hingis' siggy + Richie + Ana.
I was upset I didn't get Janko's though.
I totally misjudged where she wanted to sign autographs :(

aww :hug: I've been every year for about the last 13 years...something like that. :lol: This year was fun - lots of people from wtaworld were there - plus free tix are a bonus. :banana: ;)

eck
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:57 PM
aww :hug: I've been every year for about the last 13 years...something like that. :lol: This year was fun - lots of people from wtaworld were there - plus free tix are a bonus. :banana: ;)

You got free tix???
How? :(

DutchieGirl
Sep 15th, 2007, 02:05 PM
You got free tix???
How? :(

contacts. :p

eck
Sep 15th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Share with me! :p

eck
Sep 15th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Oh I know who. ;)

DutchieGirl
Sep 15th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Oh I know who. ;)

Well, it's not that hard to guess is it? :p

ozfan44
Sep 15th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Greenhouse Backpackers in Flinders Lane is awesome, i stayed there last year!

DutchieGirl
Sep 15th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Greenhouse Backpackers in Flinders Lane is awesome, i stayed there last year!

Ahh! That's the one I was thinking of. :D

eck
Sep 15th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Well, it's not that hard to guess is it? :p

My eyes are squinting atm so bear with my bluriness.
In fact I'm going to bed now :o
TTYL :wavey:

DimaDinosaur
Sep 15th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Hi Everyone

I'm thinking about jumping over the ditch (from NZ) to the Australian Open, need to book my leave in early.

However, I've never been to Melbourne before but have heard it's a nice city to visit...but have been to Sydney and Gold Coast. Can anyone tell good place to stay i.e. close to city, reasonable in price and can get to Melbourne Park relatively easily.

Thanks

Imogen :worship: :worship: :worship:

My aunt used this vacation package deal last year to attend the 2nd week of the AO. She said it was really good. Although, it's a little pricy for my taste :lol:

http://www.sportstours.com/html/australian_open.html