PDA

View Full Version : Bali is basically a meaningless tournament

gaggleguy
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:38 PM
I think it should be remembered that when disscussing Davenport's comeback win over Jankovic. This a Tier 3 event the week after the US Open, its very anti-climactic and the WTA could just as well have a week off this week instead. Big name players like Davenport, Hantuchova, Jankovic, Schnyder are playing Bali for appearance money, not for points or prize $$. So it doesn't need to be blown out of proportion that Davenport made this "shocking" defeat of Jankovic. Anyway Jankovic plays 30 tournaments in a year, this counts nothing at all for her, it was like an exhibition. Even if she won the event, it still wouldn't go into her Best 17 total

LindsayRulz
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:41 PM
:frustration?:

venus_rulez
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Granted, we need to have some perspective about Davenport's comeback at this point because there's zero pressure on her right now so that racquet can swing freely at the moment, But this 31 year old just had a baby and defeated the world's number 3. Lots of praise is in order.

Bruno71
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I think it should be remembered that when disscussing Davenport's comeback win over Jankovic. This a Tier 3 event the week after the US Open, its very anti-climactic and the WTA could just as well have a week off this week instead. Big name players like Davenport, Hantuchova, Jankovic, Schnyder are playing Bali for appearance money, not for points or prize $$. So it doesn't need to be blown out of proportion that Davenport made this "shocking" defeat of Jankovic. Anyway Jankovic plays 30 tournaments in a year, this counts nothing at all for her, it was like an exhibition. Even if she won the event, it still wouldn't go into her Best 17 total

A win would've gone into JJ's best 17, albeit barely.

The point is that Lindsay's shown she can step back after long periods off and still play competitive, high-level tennis, and this isn't the first time she's done that either. She smoked a top 50 player in Daniilidou and then went on to beat world #3. It doesn't matter where it happens, when these women step on court they're not going to just hand anybody a win, and I don't think any of Lindsay's opponents did that. She shown she's still got it, and it's a huge step on her way back to the top 10 and beyond.

gaggleguy
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:46 PM
A win would've gone into JJ's best 17, albeit barely.

The point is that Lindsay's shown she can step back after long periods off and still play competitive, high-level tennis, and this isn't the first time she's done that either. She smoked a top 50 player in Daniilidou and then went on to beat world #3. It doesn't matter where it happens, when these women step on court they're not going to just hand anybody a win, and I don't think any of Lindsay's opponents did that. She shown she's still got it, and it's a huge step on her way back to the top 10 and beyond.

for me, Davenport's win over Danilidou is more impressive than the one over Jankovic, becuase Danilidou actually had something at stake

LCS
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Haters...

champGS1452
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Oh please :rolleyes: Davenport is better than Jankovic. Period.

hurricanejeanne
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Granted, we need to have some perspective about Davenport's comeback at this point because there's zero pressure on her right now so that racquet can swing freely at the moment, But this 31 year old just had a baby and defeated the world's number 3. Lots of praise is in order.

That pretty much covers it.

selking
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:53 PM
oh what a sad person you are, maybe when you acheive what JJ or LD have then you can dimish what either did. Until then, shut it

The Daviator
Sep 15th, 2007, 12:01 AM
It's a tier III, and it had a better field than most Tier IIIs, Lindsay won today, and had this event been a Tier I/II, she probably would have still won, stop demeaning their achievements, both women tried their best to win and Lindsay came out on top. End.

frontier
Sep 15th, 2007, 12:07 AM
It is meaningful otherwise we wont be talking about it.Lindsay has given it spotlight by being there,obviously all the players there feel its meaningful otherwise they wont have to fly half across the world to an earthquake prone locale.Jelena lost to an accoumplished player,lets move on.:wavey:

Sally Struthers
Sep 15th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I've come to consider all non-slam tournaments to be basically meaningless.

sammy01
Sep 15th, 2007, 12:39 AM
i think these kind of results are meaningful! just imagine if davenport draws jj at the oz open next year she will go into thinking i beat her in my first tournament back, im fitter now i can win this! a win is a win and its always good to step on court knowing you can beat your oposition!

QUEENLINDSAY
Sep 15th, 2007, 12:42 AM
so that means Pan Facific in tokyo ( After AO) Eastbourne( After RG) and not sure what tournament is after wimbledon.

are all worthless??

Maybe, you are not worthy to be even a fan of tennis.

Sally Struthers
Sep 15th, 2007, 12:50 AM
so that means Pan Facific in tokyo ( After AO) Eastbourne( After RG) and not sure what tournament is after wimbledon.

are all worthless??

Maybe, you are not worthy to be even a fan of tennis.

In the grand scheme of things, I think yes, as far as tennis history goes. No one remembers what you won other than the slams.

nathie
Sep 15th, 2007, 12:57 AM
.... Anyway Jankovic plays 30 tournaments in a year, this counts nothing at all for her, it was like an exhibition. Even if she won the event, it still wouldn't go into her Best 17 total
if Jankovic won the event, she would have 165 pts ; her 17th best is worth 110 pts ... => she would have gained 55 pts !!! :angel:

frontier
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:10 AM
In the grand scheme of things, I think yes, as far as tennis history goes. No one remembers what you won other than the slams.At the moment Lindsay will be remembered for her slams and 50 titles and Jelena will be remembered for what.

ASP0315
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:17 AM
bali definetely spending shit loads of money top get top players. They are doing a good job. hats off to them. They lured lindsay to play here.(i wouldn't take that risk if was a tournament organizer.) They made worldwide fans happy by bringing davenport there.

As for the rest of the field it looks like a futures field. :lol: . It doesn't really have any depth.(but it understandable.)

DutchieGirl
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:54 AM
:yawn: Whatever... a win is a win. Lidsay must have played well to beat Jelena. It's not like Jelena would have stepped onto court and said "here, I'm gonna let you win!" :rolleyes: Plus Lindsay is coming back after a fair time off and having a child, so it's still a great accomplishment, wherever it happens.

esquímaux
Sep 15th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Haters...4 life... :tape:

danieln1
Sep 15th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Of course this tournament is MEANINGFUL: because Lindsay is playing there, it´s her comeback, please give her a break and let´s enjoy her victory

LoveFifteen
Sep 15th, 2007, 02:24 AM
A woman who just gave birth to a boy put the smack down on a woman who was born as a boy. Mommy def. Tranny.

: pimpsmack :

Harvs
Sep 15th, 2007, 02:27 AM
it has a good field... :S

Jessie181
Sep 15th, 2007, 02:49 AM
A woman who just gave birth to a boy put the smack down on a woman who was born as a boy. Mommy def. Tranny.

OMFG!!

that is hilarious!!
ROFLMAO!!

Bruno71
Sep 15th, 2007, 03:03 AM

Well at least she's not in your avatar anymore. That's progress.

dwynn10
Sep 15th, 2007, 03:08 AM

Hey, hey! No need to be mean. While Jankovic may not be as pretty as Ivanovic, she comes across a sweet, young woman, who's a heck of a player. That said, to the people who pooh-pooh Lindsay's win, so what if this tourney doesn't mean anything? It was still a legit match and Davenport, despite her condition, beat the No. 3 player in the world, fair and square. It obviously counted for something. Otherwise, Jankovic wouldn't have been so worked up toward the end of the match, and Lindsay's confidence must have received a big boost.

twight6
Sep 15th, 2007, 03:19 AM
You say Jelena wasn't in it for the points or prize money, but for the appearance money.. Do you honestly think a player who has played 30+ tournaments in one year needs appearance money? Her reason for being here was obviously win the tournament... whether for the prize money, points, trophy, fame, whatever... she was here to win, and she obviously tried in this match. Granted, Lindsay had less to lose, but regardless it's her first tournament back and she beat the #3 player in the world. Nuff said.

MH0861
Sep 15th, 2007, 03:23 AM
It may be meaningless to you.

Not to Mamaport and all her fans :hearts: :D

Serenidad.
Sep 15th, 2007, 04:13 AM
I've come to consider all non-slam tournaments to be basically meaningless.

Sally Struthers.

You, Serena, and I share these same views. In considering the greatest and the best of the rest who cares if you won these non-essential tournaments.

Lindsayfan32
Sep 15th, 2007, 04:35 AM
It may be meaningless to you.

Not to Mamaport and all her fans :hearts: :D

I totally agree with you MH it might only be a tier three event but in December last year when Lindsay announced her pregnancy and retirement. Did anyone think that we would see her make a comeback. Not me I thought she was done and every match Lindsay plays little alone wins is a bonus no matter where it's played or who its against. Myself I've take great pleasure in Lindsay's run this week.

:worship::)

venus_rulez
Sep 15th, 2007, 05:37 AM

:lol: :worship: By the way post more pics in the pic chat thread. You're hot lol.

QUEENLINDSAY
Sep 15th, 2007, 08:19 AM
In the grand scheme of things, I think yes, as far as tennis history goes. No one remembers what you won other than the slams.

Well dont waste your time posting during non slam period.

see you here in January and just STFU for now.

BAD_MOUTH
Sep 20th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Hey, hey! No need to be mean. While Jankovic may not be as pretty as Ivanovic, she comes across a sweet, young woman, who's a heck of a player. That said, to the people who pooh-pooh Lindsay's win, so what if this tourney doesn't mean anything? It was still a legit match and Davenport, despite her condition, beat the No. 3 player in the world, fair and square. It obviously counted for something. Otherwise, Jankovic wouldn't have been so worked up toward the end of the match, and Lindsay's confidence must have received a big boost.

i think jelena is hot!
i was there when she played lindsay. and she's really hot in person
but still,my girl is lindsay