PDA

View Full Version : Will a successful return by Davenport motivate Seles/Capriati??

AcesHigh
Sep 14th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I CANNOT give up hope that two of my all-time faves are retired. If a woman who just gave birth months ago... who could hardly play due to injuries a year ago.. who is 31 years old can return to the top echelon of today's game(top 10), why can't Seles who is supposedly striking the ball very well??

If Navratilova could return and try to play singles in her late 40's/early 50's... can't MOnica give it a shot?

And Capriati isn't too old. If she can regain her health, I def. think she could make a return if she's willing to play without being a top 5 slam contender.

Thoughts? :)

AcesHigh
Sep 14th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Btw, Im not saying that Davenport WILL return to the top. I"m just saying IF she does.. will it motivate these two.

The Daviator
Sep 14th, 2007, 10:33 PM
If Lindsay stays healthy and plays a sufficient amount of tournaments, then she'll return to the top 10 :)

As for Monica/Jen, Monica does seem to be considering it, but she's not saying what she's up to, one way or another :shrug: Jen I think is resigned to the fact that she won't be returning, it would be fantastic if they both came back though...

LH2HBH
Sep 14th, 2007, 10:34 PM
It should but it won't.

Привет
Sep 14th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I agree with flyguydsl. I was never a fan of Capriati but I'd like to see her at least attempt a comeback anyway. I wish Seles would come back, but I doubt she will.

Forehand_Volley
Sep 14th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I cannot see Capriati or Seles return to play tournament tennis on the WTA circuit. Exhibitions maybe, but not the real deal. Too much time has passed and their injuries struck at a time when they were already thinking about life outside tennis.

Clijsters could conceivably do it after she gives birth because of her age.

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Monica keeps hinting that she wants to come back though, particularly at the Open this year. She doesn't really shed much light on the details, sadly. I don't think she will, but it's hard to know what to believe anymore.

I really hope she gives it a shot though. That would be too amazing. :hearts:

RJWCapriati
Sep 15th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Jennifer actually had another surgery this week ......she doesn't need Lindsay to motivate her...she has been trying for years to get her shoulder straightened out to where she can just compete at tennis again.

ChrisCologne
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:02 AM
I believe both of them would see themselves returning just for those parts of a season they loved the most and have a nice farewell. Monica hinted in the past that she would not return for more than just 4-5 events.

As for Jenn, this would mean Australia and if not there, the US part of the tour. Same as Monica, combined with the French Open. If they don´t return till the French 2008, the will never return.

SV_Fan
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:47 AM
I would like to see those two back.

Cage
Sep 15th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Wish Thinking For Sure :)

Serenidad.
Sep 15th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Honestly, they should only come back if they think they can challenge for Grand Slams. Don't do a Hingis and comeback just to go out in the 3rd round and ruin your records, H2H advantages, etc. Last I heard Monica is hitting the ball well. Who knows about her movement, fitness, serve. I haven't heard anything about Capriati.

Seles has already said though she wants to play a few more matches before officially retiring. I suspect she'll play the Australian Season maybe 2008 because AO Series is the most special.

llbtntennis
Sep 15th, 2007, 03:36 AM
jennifer come back!!!

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 15th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Lets hope so ;) :bounce:

mankind
Sep 15th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Neither Seles nor Capriati will come back, IMO.

Wolverines08
Sep 15th, 2007, 06:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aSogSxMyvc

I think Monica is coming back...when you hit the ball like her, it never leaves you.

Willam
Sep 15th, 2007, 06:41 AM
:tape: :tape: :tape:

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I CANNOT give up hope that two of my all-time faves are retired. If a woman who just gave birth months ago... who could hardly play due to injuries a year ago.. who is 31 years old can return to the top echelon of today's game(top 10), why can't Seles who is supposedly striking the ball very well??

If Navratilova could return and try to play singles in her late 40's/early 50's... can't MOnica give it a shot?

And Capriati isn't too old. If she can regain her health, I def. think she could make a return if she's willing to play without being a top 5 slam contender.

Thoughts? :)

teo_honey
Sep 15th, 2007, 03:45 PM
The cases of these 3 are very different. Jennifer has plenty of motivation, but her body is not helping her. So if she is gets healthy soon (which is unlikely) she will try a return. I don't know much about Monica, but I guess she is healthy, so she lacks the motivation. Lindsay is happy to have both health and motivation, so she made a quick and great return and I think she will hit the top again, because she is capable of this!! Jen and Monica lack one of the two things that Lindsay had and that they need to return.

gaggleguy
Sep 15th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I think Seles is going to make a farewell tour of a few events maybe in '08. But if she really wanted to come back fulltime, she would have done it already. Lets not forget its going on FIVE YEARS since Monica last played a match.

So to answer the thread question, no, I don't think Davenport is going to give motovation to Seles.

borisyBACK
Sep 15th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Is Jennifer still with that Friends guy?

supergrunt
Sep 15th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I think that they will both come back. I didn't think that Davenport would come back ever but her she is. :rolls:

JackFrost
Sep 15th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Jeez. No leave them already alone. :rolleyes:
What do you want from Seles or Capriati? What do you exactly expect?
Jennifer is 31 and in opposite to Lindsay many years gone now. Monica is even older (34 in December).
The last slam Monica had won ís eleven years ago (almost twelve). After that she only reached one other grand slam-final.
Do you really want to see them become punchingballs for the young players?

Beny
Sep 15th, 2007, 05:33 PM
It won't..I don't know but I don't think either of those will come back :shrug:

sharapovarulz1
Sep 15th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Damn it i so want Monica and Jen to come back :(

sharapovarulz1
Sep 15th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Is Jennifer still with that Friends guy?

I think them two are actually just good friends (I think lol)

mb011
Sep 15th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I doubt it, although I'd like it, at least for one last (even limited) season.

Agassi Fan
Sep 15th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I Hope yes!!!

azinna
Sep 15th, 2007, 07:23 PM
If they come back, it wouldn't (or shouldn't) be because of Lindsay's success: she's had the shorter break and her serve and strokes (if/when on) get her more free points in the current game than theirs would. The motivation (and assessment of one's chances) has to be internal, come from within, not without. Hingis made the same mistake when she saw Myskina and company racking up wins and the Williams Sisters temporarily MIA.......

sweetpeas
Sep 15th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Injuries stop Jen Monica. Lindsay just had a baby? .That totaly different.

Uranus
Sep 15th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I think it's just wishful thinking, really. (you are not the only one, though ;))