PDA

View Full Version : Davenport rides out Jankovic meltdown to reach semis.

Marcell
Sep 14th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Davenport rides out Jankovic meltdown to reach semis.

NUSA DUA, Indonesia (AFP) - Lindsay Davenport held her nerve for victory as Jelena Jankovic launched an emotion-charged attack on the umpire to crash out 6-4, 2-6, 6-2 at the Bali International on Friday.

Davenport, considering a full-time return to tennis three months after having a baby son, stayed quiet in the seventh game of the final set as world number three Jankovic imploded with anger in their quarter-final.

The top-seeded Serb's verbal volley came after a Davenport return called out by the linesman was over-ruled as good by the umpire.

That perceived error sent Jankovic ballistic and paved the way for two consecutive double-faults, a racket crack and the loss of the game to trail 2-5.

A game later and on the way out, the seething Jankovic gave Davenport an ace after that shot was apparently called wrong.

"I gave her the ace even though it was called out," said the popular Jankovic, a huge crowd favourite. "I don't want anyone to cheat for me.

"The umpiring was just terrible, you need every chance you get against these top players," she said of three-time Grand Slam winner Davenport who has been out of the game for nearly a year and ranks 234.

"It was a nightmare being out there. I'm coming from the US Open and we are used to challenges (Hawk-eye line-calling) at the big matches.

"When the ball was in, he called it out, when it was out, he called it in.

"I didn't train much and it's tough to get motivated here. But it's OK, now I can finally go to the beach," she said.

Davenport said she was surprised to have gone this far, as she juggles tennis and her new baby.

"When your opponent self-destructs, that's good from your perspective. I just worried about my own game," she said.

"In professional tennis you have to deal with line calls. When she blew up I knew I had a great shot at winning."

Jankovic let go of a 4-1 first-set lead, with the momentum shifting to her 31-year-old American opponent as Davenport won seven games in a row.

Thanx4nothin
Sep 14th, 2007, 04:00 PM
yeah jelena go to the beach and enjoy yourself.

tennisIlove09
Sep 14th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Wow, sounds like Serena-Capriati all over again :o

Matt01
Sep 14th, 2007, 04:38 PM
"I didn't train much and it's tough to get motivated here. But it's OK, now I can finally go to the beach," she said.

:spit:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Sep 14th, 2007, 04:56 PM
good to see jelena was really committed to the tourny :rolleyes:
im guessing she wont be playing in bali again

.Andrew.
Sep 14th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Jelena :hug:

HippityHop
Sep 14th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I thought that the reason that she played so much was because she didn't like to train. What the problem is? :confused:

LadyLil
Sep 14th, 2007, 06:25 PM
"It was a nightmare being out there. I'm coming from the US Open and we are used to challenges (Hawk-eye line-calling) at the big matches

Well ex-cuuuuuuuuuuuussssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeee me your majesty.

I'm a fan of Jelena but it seems she needs to chill on the beach before her next event.

borisyBACK
Sep 14th, 2007, 06:47 PM
good to see jelena was really committed to the tourny :rolleyes:
im guessing she wont be playing in bali again

I would never bet on Jelena not playing a tourney.

frontier
Sep 14th, 2007, 07:32 PM
She complains a lot about nothing,and the fact that she considers lindsay a player ranked 200 something below her a top player speaks a lot about her confidence as if she is saying she is in transition not legitimately a top player.

mb011
Sep 14th, 2007, 07:41 PM
nice to know that Davenport was not really the better player out there. but it's a nice confidence-boost for her.

champGS1452
Sep 14th, 2007, 07:48 PM
nice to know that Davenport was not really the better player out there. but it's a nice confidence-boost for her.

Of course she was,she won the match :)

Jankovic has to stop with the mental letdowns or she won't be able to go to the slam winning level. The game (except the serve) is all there but the mental toughness is not.

Cat123
Sep 14th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Aww, Jelena!!!! :( I'm gutted. She needs to chill. So many times she's lost matches to big stars because she's got herself worked up. *sigh*

Bruno71
Sep 14th, 2007, 07:56 PM
"It was a nightmare being out there. I'm coming from the US Open and we are used to challenges (Hawk-eye line-calling) at the big matches

Well ex-cuuuuuuuuuuuussssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeee me your majesty.

I'm a fan of Jelena but it seems she needs to chill on the beach before her next event.

The challenge system being used only at certain events on certain courts is really spoiling the top players who get to use them. Not that JJ hasn't had these kinds of meltdowns before anyway.

I'd like to think she may have learned a lesson here about overplaying causing exhaustion & crankiness, but...that's just a fantasy of mine.

RenaSlam.
Sep 14th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Jelena = bitch.

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 14th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Way to go LD!!!!!

faboozadoo15
Sep 14th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Bali sucks. Why did she even play there to begin with?

The Daviator
Sep 14th, 2007, 08:25 PM

:rolleyes: I know you're a JJ fan, but please, there were bad calls for both, as Jelena said, Lindsay hit an ace that was called out...

She was better today, JJ may get her next time, but today was Lindsay's day :p

Russianboy
Sep 14th, 2007, 08:35 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH that's why jelena lost? :eek:

finally I know the reason :rolleyes:

Effy
Sep 14th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Jelena = bitch.

coming from Serena fan :spit:

~Kiera~
Sep 14th, 2007, 08:45 PM
She was better today, JJ may get her next time, but today was Lindsay's day :p

Jelena said as much afterwards, too:

"But Lindsay played great and she deserved to win and was the one who wanted it more."

The Daviator
Sep 14th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Jelena said as much afterwards, too:

I know, Jelenka :hug: I'd have wanted her to win had Linds not been in the draw ;)

~Kiera~
Sep 14th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I know, Jelenka :hug: I'd have wanted her to win had Linds not been in the draw ;)

Similarly, I'd have wanted Lindsay to win had Jelena not been there so I'm rooting for her now. It'd be a nice comeback prize.

hurricanejeanne
Sep 14th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Pity the match had such bad line calls, but in tournaments that don't offer hawkeye, the players have to adjust. Sadly, for Jelena she's still learning this where as, Lindsay a veteran player, was able to make the adjustments.

Hopefully the next time the play the linecalling will be better. :)

MakarovaFan
Sep 14th, 2007, 09:13 PM
She complains a lot about nothing,and the fact that she considers lindsay a player ranked 200 something below her a top player speaks a lot about her confidence as if she is saying she is in transition not legitimately a top player.

No if anything that shows her respect for Lindsay.Geez now if that were switched around and she said the reverse then people would be down her throat

sweetpeas
Sep 14th, 2007, 09:17 PM
She only human! We all have good day,bad day? Some more then other"s. JJ go spend some of that money you have.You had alot,enjoy yourself.

tenn_ace
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:31 PM
here is an advice to Jelena: stick to Tier II and higher tournaments to have the option of challenging

Matt01
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:35 PM
here is an advice to Jelena: stick to Tier II and higher tournaments to have the option of challenging

She still has to play at least one Tier III tournament this year because of the (in this case) stupid WTA rules.

LindsayRulz
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Bali sucks. Why did she even play there to begin with?

You wanted her to play a grand slam for her first comeback match and lose to Henin in the second round? And why do you say that Bali sucks? Because Sharapova doesn't play there?

simba
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:52 PM
will it be on the TTC? i really want to see Lindsay. i a sad because Jelena lost but happy to see lindsay back.

MagicMilan
Sep 15th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Jelena = bitch.
No, Serena is :D

danieln1
Sep 15th, 2007, 02:40 AM
Jelena = bitch.

Your post says it all!!
Even the umpire "helped" Lindsay, Jelena is just a sore loser, now go to your beach and relax

MagicMilan
Sep 15th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Your post says it all!!
Even the umpire "helped" Lindsay, Jelena is just a sore loser, now go to your beach and relax
Yeah, like after the match with Venus. Before you read this comment read the whole interview :wavey: :weirdo:

aceserverr
Sep 15th, 2007, 08:08 AM
jankovic mental midget
will never win a GS