PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst of the U.S. Open

Tech1
Sep 14th, 2007, 08:40 AM
A look at the best and worst of the U.S. Open

Posted on Thu, Sep. 13, 2007

By MICHELLE KAUFMAN

mkaufman@MiamiHerald.com (mkaufman@MiamiHerald.com)

http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2007/09/13/00/200-tenpsot0913.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.JPG (http://www.miamiherald.com/673/story/235847.html#x)
DARRON CUMMINGS / AP
Bethanie Mattek would win Worst Dressed award, if there was one, after wearing this leopard-print ensemble during the U.S. Open.

Roger Federer is spending a few extra days in New York with girlfriend, Mirka Vavrinec, taking in Fashion Week with their friend, Anna Wintour, editor of Vogue. And with a $2.4 million paycheck for winning his fourth consecutive U.S. Open, you can bet Mirka and Roger will be doing a little shopping.

In addition to dominating tennis during the past few years, the top-ranked Federer has become quite the fashion maven. He wore a white blazer and slacks onto the court at Wimbledon and at the U.S. Open played his night matches in a tuxedo-inspired black outfit, right down to the satin piping on the side of the shorts and shiny black sneakers (decorated with three Swiss flags, one for each of the Open titles he had won).

Federer said he ''calls the shots'' when it comes to his wardrobe.
''If they want to put me out in yellow, I don't do it,'' he said. ``I've done those mistakes in the past. I don't want to do it again. But I thought all black is kind of a cool thing. I can only pull it off in New York. I started enjoying wearing a jacket at Wimbledon, kind of bringing something new to the Open, because I see many shirts out there I don't like. I just want to make sure that one guy dresses kind of normal on tour -- the black shoes and black socks, I'm not the biggest fan of them, but you have to complete the outfit.''

If the U.S. Open gave a Best Dressed award, Federer certainly would win on the men's side, and Maria Sharapova, with her Swarovski crystal-enhanced red dress, would win for the women.

Worst Dressed has to go to Bethanie Mattek, whose outrageous gold, silver and leopard-print getups make it hard to take her seriously.

Other awards:
• Best Debut: Andre Agassi in the USA Network broadcast booth. The retired legend was always a student of the game and a perfectionist, and that was reflected in his astute, insightful commentary. Equally impressive was that the rookie broadcaster knew exactly when to talk and when to be quiet and let the action speak for itself.

• Biggest Upset: Polish teenager Aggie Radwanska knocking off defending champion Sharapova in the third round.

• Funniest Moment: NovakDjokovic bringing down the house with his hilarious on-court impersonations of Sharapova and Rafael Nadal after his quarterfinal. He does a great Roddick and Agassi, too. Runner up: Loquacious Justin Gimelstob hogging the microphone and interviewing Andy Roddick after their match.

• Most Dramatic Matches: Djokovic vs. Radek Stepanek, Federer vs. Roddick, Venus Williams vs. Jelena Jankovic, James Blake vs. Fabrice Santoro, Nadal vs. David Ferrer (which ended at 1:50 a.m.).

• Friendliest Parents: It's no wonder Djokovic and Jankovic, the charming Serbs, seem so well-adjusted. Their parents genuinely had fun at the matches.

Djokovic's father, who runs a pancake and pizza parlor, got so excited after his son's semifinal victory that he ripped off his shirt and jumped up and down. Jankovic's mother, Snezana, laughed during her daughter's quarterfinal against Venus Williams and managed a huge smile even when Williams won the match.

• Lamest Excuse: Richard Gasquet pulling out of his match against Donald Young because of what he described as a common cold.

• Made a Splash: John Isner, Donald Young, Radwanska, Feliciano Lopez, Anna Chekvatedze, Ahsha Rolle, Latvia's one and only Ernests Gulbis and junior champion/Federer's practice partner Ricardes Berankis.

• Night Owl: Ferrer, whose win over Nadal ended at 1:50 a.m., had the munchies after returning to the city and wound up eating a Big Mac at McDonald's at 4:15 a.m.

• Biggest Surprise: Not a drop of rain.

mc8114
Sep 14th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Djokovic's impersonations were hilarious :lol: