PDA

View Full Version : Will Serena and Venus make the YEC?

Renalicious
Sep 12th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Venus has Tier IV Seoul and Tier III Bangkok to go and Serena has Tier II Stuttgart and Tier I Zurich. What do you guys think? I think Serena will...Venus looks a bit in danger as she's playing lower-tier tournaments. So, will they both make it, will one of them make it or will both of them not make it?

lynch79
Sep 12th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I think they will make it, but the question is: will they take part?

Polikarpov
Sep 12th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I hope so!

Renalicious
Sep 12th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I think they will make it, but the question is: will they take part?

Why wouldn't they? Unless they're injured...

So Disrespectful
Sep 12th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I hope Daniela can make it. She still has a chance to take Venus' position if she keeps progressing far in draws. She can always accept more wildcards into tournaments if she doesn't have enough points. ;) It's her goal for the year, and she should do everything she can to make it.

DimaDinosaur
Sep 12th, 2007, 12:17 PM
I hope Daniela can make it. She still has a chance to take Venus' position if she keeps progressing far in draws. She can always accept more wildcards into tournaments if she doesn't have enough points. ;) It's her goal for the year, and she should do everything she can to make it.

Daniela is 11th in the race. She needs 500 points to get to the #8 spot!! And that is if Venus does not play until YEC. Thus, Daniela really needs 700 points to secure her spot

Renalicious
Sep 12th, 2007, 12:24 PM
It's unlikely that Daniela will make it. :P

LudwigDvorak
Sep 12th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Serena should make it. Venus might, cuz Petrova should be falling in the ranks a bit--no way in hell she's defending a TII title, TII F, and TI final. Petrova aside, I don't know anyone else who can bother Venus for the #8 spot.

DownTheLine21
Sep 12th, 2007, 12:41 PM
I think they'll both make it.

Wayn77
Sep 12th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I hope so.

Having the World No. 2/No. 3 take part, will give the tournament much-needed legitimacy.

homogenius
Sep 12th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I doubt it but it would be a lot better with them in.

tae04
Sep 12th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Ha. I doubt we see either Sister til the Australian, especially Serena. Venus may show up for an event.

DimaDinosaur
Sep 12th, 2007, 01:03 PM
The YEC just wouldn't be as tight without Henin and both Williams and Sharapova and Jankovic, Ivanovic all in there. Anna C would make the tournament hot too if she controls her nerve and plays up to her potential. She could replace Hingis from last year's YEC. And Kuznetsova better relax also. B

If I had my way, I would replace her with either Agnes Svazay OR Lindsay Davenport OR Amelie Mauresmo

Renalicious
Sep 12th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Without the Williams, the YEC would be very non-exciting... :/

Matt01
Sep 12th, 2007, 02:04 PM

You know, there are other players than the Williams who are also interesting to watch.

homogenius
Sep 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM

No.It just would be less exciting.

Matt01
Sep 12th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Daniela is 11th in the race. She needs 500 points to get to the #8 spot!! And that is if Venus does not play until YEC. Thus, Daniela really needs 700 points to secure her spot

And if Dani wins Zurich, she will already have 430 points in her bag. I'm not saying that she will make it to the YEC, but it is not impossible, especially when some other players decide to skip some tournements.

Emina.
Sep 12th, 2007, 02:07 PM
i hope so ..and i hope Maria will make it to the Yec too :)

Renalicious
Sep 12th, 2007, 02:15 PM
You know, there are other players than the Williams who are also interesting to watch.

The year would pretty much end on an anti-climax if neither sisters played...they both made comebacks and the YEC is the perfect place to recement their place on the tour. Without the Williamses I can just imagine the usual, less interesting people playing...such as Kuznetsova and Henin....or Henin and Jankovic...I mean c'mon, we know Henin is going to beat both, so they'll be no surprise there. But both sisters have a chance of causing an upset over Henin and that will be very interesting to watch. :drool:

Il Primo!
Sep 12th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Serena should make it. Venus might, cuz Petrova should be falling in the ranks a bit--no way in hell she's defending a TII title, TII F, and TI final. Petrova aside, I don't know anyone else who can bother Venus for the #8 spot.

Dude, it's the race which counts for the qualification. Thus there are no points to lose, only points to win ;)

I hope they make it. But since Bartoli, Hantuchova and Petrova play much more, it's not 100% for Venus.

Matt01
Sep 12th, 2007, 02:19 PM
But both sisters have a chance of causing an upset over Henin and that will be very interesting to watch. :drool:

So far this year, they were only able to beat Henin once in five attemtps, and even that one time Williams got a bagel :p :devil:

Shonami Slam
Sep 12th, 2007, 02:34 PM
it would seem more probable that one of them doesn't qualify with Bartoli, Petrova, Hantuchova or some of the 9-12 places making a bug indoor season.

Expat
Sep 12th, 2007, 02:41 PM
i think both of them will not qualify

Donny
Sep 12th, 2007, 02:50 PM
They should automatically be qualifed, having won slams.

If this were the ATP, they'd already be guaranteed a spot.

doni1212
Sep 12th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Not really, ;)

Serenidad.
Sep 12th, 2007, 03:23 PM
They should automatically be qualifed, having won slams.

If this were the ATP, they'd already be guaranteed a spot.

Yes, I like this rule also. If you win a Grand Slam that year AND are in the top 20 when the YEC comes you qualify. That is how it should be for WTA.

AnnaK_4ever
Sep 12th, 2007, 03:27 PM
They will qualify for the YEC but they won't play it. I believe Serena has finished her season and Venus will only play Seoul and Bangkok.

harloo
Sep 12th, 2007, 03:41 PM
They won't play so what's the point of this thread?:lol:

robbie12
Sep 12th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Yes, I like this rule also. If you win a Grand Slam that year AND are in the top 20 when the YEC comes you qualify. That is how it should be for WTA.

I think WTA should do domething similar to ATP although their rule is the top eight or the top 7 plus one highest ranked grand slam winner outside that. In 2002 both Johansson (AO winner) and Costa (FO winner) finished outside the top 8. Costa at 11 got in while Johansson at 14 didn't (although he did get to serve as alternate). I suppose it's very rare to get more than one grand slam winner finishing outside the top 8.

Juju4ever
Sep 12th, 2007, 04:08 PM
The year would pretty much end on an anti-climax if neither sisters played...they both made comebacks and the YEC is the perfect place to recement their place on the tour. Without the Williamses I can just imagine the usual, less interesting people playing...such as Kuznetsova and Henin....or Henin and Jankovic...I mean c'mon, we know Henin is going to beat both, so they'll be no surprise there. But both sisters have a chance of causing an upset over Henin and that will be very interesting to watch. :drool:

Both Sveta and Jelena have the game to beat Justine on a given day, they're #2 and #3 respectively, it's not an easy thing to achieve. But I have to agree that the Williams sisters going to be a great addition to the tournament, if they'll show up. It's a shame Amelie won't be there, though.

stickwitju(ju)
Sep 12th, 2007, 04:11 PM
The could make it but they might either be too busy with other stuff or they might be injured and can't go even if they qualify.

:shrug:

GracefulVenus
Sep 12th, 2007, 04:36 PM

not really!

Matt01
Sep 12th, 2007, 04:45 PM
not really!

Well in that case, maybe WTA World isn't the best place for you. Go to a Williams-Fans-Forum :p

Direwolf
Sep 12th, 2007, 05:24 PM
And if Dani wins Zurich, she will already have 430 points in her bag. .

pls explain. . .
because.. the last time i checked...
she reached the final there..!!
so she wont be getting all of thos 430...
she would just add some more points...

empressionist
Sep 12th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Would be interesting if at least one of them would make it, as we all know that player have respect for them regardless of their ranking, and they would make things really interesting. however i think it's a slim chance of that happening, as we know they really don't like playing in europe except those times around grand slams. so as someone said, I doubt we'll see any of the Williams sister before Australian open...

AnnaK_4ever
Sep 12th, 2007, 05:31 PM
pls explain. . .
because.. the last time i checked...
she reached the final there..!!
so she wont be getting all of thos 430...
she would just add some more points...

Matt was talking about Race points.

Mic-190286
Sep 12th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Matt was talking about Race points.

it's pretty unlikely she'll make the final again anyway!

It'd be nice if Dani qualified but realistically i think her only chance is if the WS don't play, and as a Dani fan as great as that would be, it would definately make the tournament stronger if Venus and Serena were there. Though i still hope Maria, Sveta or especially Jelena win it anyway! Domination is boring.

Donatello
Sep 12th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I think Serena will be out shopping for movie roles, going to fashion weeks etc.
Venus might play another event.

They have such compact schedules!
Serena to the point that she only does GS and warmups.

It is still amazing to see how one can not (match) practice and still reach grand slam finals. We can't blame them for having outside interests, unlike tennis-geek Justine.

They could surprise us and show up in Zurich and the YEX, I sure hope so

ptkten
Sep 12th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I don't think Serena will play for the rest of the year anyway. Venus might get passed by Hantuchova or Petrova but I think she'll pass Serena and make it regardless. I hope Serena plays but I just don't see it.

Although even if Venus does make YEC, obviously it's not a lock that she'll play there anyway.

Pleasantville
Sep 12th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Well in that case, maybe WTA World isn't the best place for you. Go to a Williams-Fans-Forum :p

Excuse you, you're not the one who decides whether someone should be in here. who the hell do you think you are? :rolleyes:

faboozadoo15
Sep 12th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Excuse you, you're not the one who decides whether someone should be in here. who the hell do you think you are? :rolleyes:

It was a polite suggestion. If you don't like to talk about WTA players and aren't interested in them, your posts will be better appreciated in a Williams Forum.

Matt01
Sep 12th, 2007, 10:01 PM
It was a polite suggestion. If you don't like to talk about WTA players and aren't interested in them, your posts will be better appreciated in a Williams Forum.

That was I was trying to say. Thank you.

terjw
Sep 12th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I'm pretty sure the top 8 now will make it. I somehow don't really believe that Serena or Venus will pull out of that - but I could be wrong. They pull out of so much.

Personally I like qualifying the way it is and that they don't hand out a free passage to the GS winners. It keeps the race open for longer for a start. If you win a GS - you have to be pretty dreadful the rest of the year or show no committment to the tour not to make it (e.g. like Serena in 2005). If a player still can't make it after winning a slam they've only got themselves to blame. Let someone who has shown more fight and committment earn their place. I'm pretty sure all the GS winners this year will qualify this year anyway so I don't see a problem.:shrug:

IceSkaTennisFan
Sep 12th, 2007, 10:38 PM
What has Nadia done this season to top Venus? :confused:

Matt01
Sep 12th, 2007, 11:45 PM
What has Nadia done this season to top Venus? :confused:

Why are you singling out Nadia? :confused:

But to answer your question: Not that much, to be honest. She won a Tier II, reached two other Tier II finals, and some quarterfinal at some Tier I's. That probably won't be enough for the YEC.

Lulu.
Sep 13th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I think they both will make it. Not sure if they will play though I hope they do

hurricanejeanne
Sep 13th, 2007, 02:18 AM
I think that both Serena and Venus will qualify. Hopefully they're both healthy.

AcesHigh
Sep 13th, 2007, 02:36 AM
I don't think they've ever cared about YEC except when Serena seemed to want to win everything in 2002. They'll make it but we'll hear something about knee problems, anemia, wrist injuries (although they might be true.. who knows) and they'll withdraw, making it a lackluster tournament with Justine as the defacto winner.

IceSkaTennisFan
Sep 13th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Why are you singling out Nadia? :confused:
Sorry. I was looking at the wrong rankings :)

frontier
Sep 13th, 2007, 03:52 AM
I feel they should forgo this event let the Europeans slug it out by themselves.I feel they should not represent a country that villifies them at every turn.USA media should be ashamed of themselves,the way they tear them apart at every turn is just pathetic.I feel they should not play till Aussie Open 08 why not take a holiday instead of going to a place that you are not wanted.I like Serena because she is honest about how she feels she never tries to be politically correct what you see is what you get .

AcesHigh
Sep 13th, 2007, 04:08 AM
I feel they should forgo this event let the Europeans slug it out by themselves.I feel they should not represent a country that villifies them at every turn.USA media should be ashamed of themselves,the way they tear them apart at every turn is just pathetic.I feel they should not play till Aussie Open 08 why not take a holiday instead of going to a place that you are not wanted.I like Serena because she is honest about how she feels she never tries to be politically correct what you see is what you get .

What are you talking about?? Where do you think Venus and SErena get their millions of dollars from??? Playing tennis? :confused:

This "country that villifies them" has made them superstars, multi-millionares and embraced them as role models, trail blazers and celebrities. Don't you hear how Venus is always proud to be representing this country... the lone American?

I think both should go. They need practice against top players.

aardvarmario
Sep 13th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Venus will make it, but Serena will not because she's probably pregnant. The father, actor Jackie Long, has been announcing the news to friends and family.

http://babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/archive/2007/09/07/game-set-match-serena-williams-is-pregnant.aspx

SerenaWFan
Sep 13th, 2007, 04:28 AM
I think that if they both qualify (which I'm sure they will, particularly Serena), then I think they'll play. But either way I think that this year the top 8 players are so clear in my mind that will be completely ridiculous that someone else will qualify just because they will play a lot of events in the fall, especially if its in the place of the Williams sisters, who IMHO, have been the 2nd/3rd best players this year.

I think that real top 8 are (in order):

1. Justine Henin
2. Serena Williams
3. Venus Williams
4. Ana Ivanovic
5. Jelena Jankovic
6. Svetlana Kuznetsova
7. Maria Sharapova
8. Anna Chakvetadze

Besides these 8, no one has any business at the YEC this year.

Callystarr
Sep 13th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Venus seldomly competes in YEC, I hope they both do. THey can pick up some extra points. Venus will be cruising up the rankings until late February. Serena unless she gets a fire under her will start falling come January. I'd like Venus to end the season on a high note. GO VEE!

Jaffas85
Sep 13th, 2007, 07:43 AM
The current 8 (including both Williams Sisters) should qualify as I don't see #9(Bartoli) or #10(Petrova) players in the race being able to overtake the Williams sisters at #7 and #8 respectively.

Venus, who is currently #8 in the race, is going to be playing two tournaments before the Y.E.C. where she will either win the tournament (Seoul, as theres no real competition) and possibly be either runner up or the winner in Bangkok (Jankovic will be at this tournament so Venus would be seeded #2 and would at least make the final).

So Venus should really be able to win Seoul (Tier IV) and at least make the final of Bangkok (Tier III) which would ensure she would have enough race points to maintain her #8 race position.

Serena is playing Stuttgart (Tier II) and Zurich (Tier I) and while I don't think its as likely that she will make the finals or win these tournaments I think that merely participating and doing her best will ensure she'll qualify.

So the current 8 in the race are the best players that fans could hope to see at the Y.E.C. based on their talent, ability and popularity.

Renalicious
Sep 13th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I think if both sisters qualify, they will play. I feel as if their desire is as strong as before now, they are willing to play the nessecary tournaments to be #1 and #2 again. I'm worried about Serena and her injures....

new-york
Sep 13th, 2007, 09:30 AM
B[é]noos is supposed to play lil events, so she needs to do well to secure her spot.
gogogo. :scared:.

And if Petrova plays more and bigger events, and also does well there...:(

LCS
Sep 13th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Both of them will. Venus will surely go to Zurich. She was a kind of regular there and plus besides from Justine no one has been threatening them too much...

I would even dare to say one of them will win the YEC.