PDA

View Full Version : Golden Grand Slam. Next Year SOMEONE Can!

ChelseaElsie
Sep 10th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Only Steffi, Stephanie, Graf has won the Golden Grand Slam.

I think Justine can do it. Do you?

chris whiteside
Sep 10th, 2007, 06:49 PM
No.

While she is unquestionably the world #1 at the moment and a worthy one at that, I think despite her denials she is desperate to win Wimbledon to cement her legacy and this plays against her.

I believe there will always be one player at Wimbledon who will be able to take her out. When the pressure is on there her forehand will break down and I think that is the one Slam she will never win.

keinimod
Sep 10th, 2007, 07:04 PM
It would be fantastic but even as a fan I would say No. I would bet real and serious money on her achieving two more slams (RG and either AO or USO) next year + the Olympics but all five of the goals is asking too much.
A lot depends on the competition of course. What will Maria and Amélie do next year ? Will the sisters have a better year ? What about Kuzzy, Ana and Jelena ? If all those falter next year, yes, then maybe.

Matt01
Sep 10th, 2007, 07:15 PM
As much as I love Justine, I don't think that she will win the Golden Slam next year...2 GS titles, some Tier I-victories and either the Olympic Gold medal or the YEC would already be great. Yes, I'm modest :angel:

Kworb
Sep 10th, 2007, 07:19 PM
She can if she doesn't choke. Choking is the only way for Justine to lose matches these days.

QUEENLINDSAY
Sep 10th, 2007, 07:20 PM
golden slams era is over! the game now requires too much fitness and mental strength compare before. Maybe when 50% of top players gets injured which I hope not.

supergrunt
Sep 10th, 2007, 08:06 PM
geez I sure hoep not. :rolleyes:

Conor
Sep 10th, 2007, 08:57 PM
A Grand Slam maybe, I dont think a Golden Slam is possible anymore...

vchase
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Only Steffi, Stephanie, Graf has won the Golden Grand Slam.

I think Justine can do it. Do you?

no. let me think, ummm, no. actually, hold on, maybe... no.

Onyxangel
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:01 PM
A whole lot of balls would have to bounce Ju's way for this to have a prayer of happening...

Beny
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Hmm..I'm surprised to see so many Justine's fans not believing in her that much.
I understand you want to be realistic. But I think we should believe she can win Wimbledon.
I think she HAS the game to do so. For the last two years, she lost there to players that played the tennis of their lives,their best. Justine could beat Marion(playing her best) but she certainly wasn't ready for her and underestimated her (after she beat her 3 and 2 about two weeks ago on the same surface).If Justine keeps playing on grass like she did in 06 and 07,she can win Wimby with a bit of luck. If she improves(which I believe she will) she will win it. She's always done well on grass.I really think she will win Wimbledon one day. And not because I'm her fan but with her game,aggressiveness and net play etc. she is definitely a favourite.Hope she improves her serve a bit,or has a good serving day on the final day..

If she's injury-free,she can win the Golden GS, she reached the final of all last year so if there's someone who can do that these days,it's her.

Helen Lawson
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:08 PM
She's too old and I'm not sure she can be near 100% for all 5 events, which is what would be required. She's great, but she's not Steffi Graf. Kind of like me, I was great, but I'm no Meryl Streep or Katharine Hepburn.

Beny
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:11 PM
5 events??
What is the fifth one besides GS? OG or YEC or Miami?
I don't know,really.
I thought it was winning all 4 slams in the same year...

Helen Lawson
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:14 PM
He's talking the Golden Grand Slam--all four majors and then the Olympics. That's five events she has to win!

Wannabeknowitall
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Well we have to consider what's going on in tennis right now.

Sharapova is at a crossroad with her game.
Mauresmo is at a crossroad with her game.
Hingis is at a crossroad with her game.
Serena might be pregnant.
Venus is anemic.
Lindsay's coming back but she doesn't have the game to really give Justine issues now.
Jankovic and Kuznetsova, who are two and three in the rankings have a combined 2-22 record against Justine. :eek:

Whose standing in her way to prevent her from doing the Golden Slam?

Helen Lawson
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:23 PM

Venus is anemic.
Lindsay's coming back but she doesn't have the game to really give Justine issues now.
Jankovic and Kuznetsova, who are two and three in the rankings have a combined 2-22 record against Justine. :eek:

I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that Venus can take some iron supplements this year and remedy the anemia problem and rally from her apparent death-bed.
I figure Janovic, Ivanovic and even Svetlana can get better and sneak a win, even at a major, and Big Masha is decent next year. Plus, who knows when she gets injured or something.

InTheGloaming
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:24 PM
what hapened to ChelsieElsie? Y was she banned?

InTheGloaming
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:26 PM
5 events??
What is the fifth one besides GS? OG or YEC or Miami?
I don't know,really.
I thought it was winning all 4 slams in the same year...

U R thick as shit.

HenryMag.
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:33 PM
I think it's very hard to Justine to make the Golden Slam....but I think she's the only player that has a chance to do it... Let's see what happens...but I hope she won't win it, because I like to see differente winners in the Slams...it's much better not to know who will win it(except RG, where everybody knows who's going to win it)...

Tennisstar86
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:56 PM

Venus is anemic.

I have a feeling Venus will have her anemia problem figured out by the AO..... Also now that Venus is in the top 10 she'll theoretically get easier draws... and after the AO she should be top 5......as she has no points from now till then to save.....

So do i think a golden slam will be won next year? No. Why?

Serena will probably win the gold medal.... do to the fact that this is one thing both Justine and Venus hold over her... I think she'll get fit and fight for it....By next summer Serena will probably be healthy and win both the Gold and the US Open....

Venus and Justine will battle out for both the US and AO titles..... and Jankovic and Justine will battle for the FO.... I really just dont see anyone winning the golden grand slam next year.....

QUEENLINDSAY
Sep 10th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I have a feeling Venus will have her anemia problem figured out by the AO..... Also now that Venus is in the top 10 she'll theoretically get easier draws... and after the AO she should be top 5......as she has no points from now till then to save.....

So do i think a golden slam will be won next year? No. Why?

Serena will probably win the gold medal.... do to the fact that this is one thing both Justine and Venus hold over her... I think she'll get fit and fight for it....By next summer Serena will probably be healthy and win both the Gold and the US Open....

Venus and Justine will battle out for both the US and AO titles..... and Jankovic and Justine will battle for the FO.... I really just dont see anyone winning the golden grand slam next year.....

AO is very open as anyone is unpredictable except for Henin.
For me, Serena and Henin will always be a contender and nothing is so sure.
I think Venus chances is just really Wimbledon, coz grass brings out the best in her but I dont see her contending with AO, high bounce balls is not her game.

If Lindsay comes back strong, I think she got the game to beat anyone at AO, does it on 2005, just breaking mentally in the last set to Serena.

Mauresmo could also be in contention once she went back into full circuit.

The two serbians can only get better and there you can see upsets comming from them.

LeChuck
Sep 10th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Nobody is going to match Graf's feat of achieving the golden grand slam of course.
If I was Serena or Justine, I would want to win the olympic gold medal quite a lot. In singles, Serena has won all 4 grand slams (including holding them all at the same time), the YEC, the Fed Cup and Miami (I'm pretty sure that for Serena, Venus and Sharapova in particular, Miami is a very big deal). I know that Serena has a gold medal in doubles, but a gold medal in singles would complete the set nicely, and then she could say that she had won pretty much every important tournament around.
Regarding Justine, no-one, man or woman, has ever won back to back gold medals (in singles), so it would be a nice accomplishment if she could pull it off. I do think that the grand slam events should be a bigger priority for her though.

Shepster
Sep 10th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Really, the only person I see doing it is Federer but Nadal's catching him on grass (but then he's catching Nadal on clay). Henin has 1 slam in the bag, she has at least 4 people who can beat her at Wimbledon, I don't see her or any woman doing it.

Mightymirza
Sep 10th, 2007, 10:42 PM
its too much for juju...She definately can do it but usually she falls short emotionally..I hope she wins a goldmedal and wimbledonn..:) I would be very happy just with that :)

Serval
Sep 10th, 2007, 11:06 PM
I don't think Justine can win RG and Wimbledon back-to-back, it takes too much out of her physically and mentally.

I believe Federer will do it though! :D

Tennisstar86
Sep 10th, 2007, 11:21 PM
AO is very open as anyone is unpredictable except for Henin.
For me, Serena and Henin will always be a contender and nothing is so sure.
I think Venus chances is just really Wimbledon, coz grass brings out the best in her but I dont see her contending with AO, high bounce balls is not her game.

If Lindsay comes back strong, I think she got the game to beat anyone at AO, does it on 2005, just breaking mentally in the last set to Serena.

Mauresmo could also be in contention once she went back into full circuit.

The two serbians can only get better and there you can see upsets comming from them.

Actually i think the reason Venus has yet to win the AO is due to lack of match readiness.....The Ao is so early in the season, this is why players like Hingis dominated (she can outthink her opponents, who may not have the kinks worked out of their games for the season) and Serena (everyone is out of shape and she prides herself on winning out of shape......so shes use to it) the higher bounced balls should actually work better to venus' game....

Thats said i dont think MOmo will win another GS... her lack of heart this year seems to me that shes contenet with her two titles...
I agree that lindsay could have a chance but not at AO... its too early.... maybe US though....

Venus proved she can win on surfaces other than grass..... she almost got that first set and if she had she probably would have taken the title against Henin......

And i dont expect ana to get a title before janko.....she just crumbles mentally...

iWill
Sep 10th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Based off everything happening right now Henin has the best chance BUT the Olympics isn't until right before the USO next year and Henin will have had to win all three slams going into the Olympics even if she did do that which would be really rare I don't see her winning the Olympics AND the USO after such a hard summer. Not only Henin but any player right now I think Serena will want to rebound from her pretty bad second half of the year and Venus will prolly be coming off another strong summer right before the Olympics and USO next year so I pick one of those 3 to win the gold. If anything Serena will want the Olympics more than the USO cuz shes nvr won that so it'll be interesting to see what happens but I doubt any female player will win the Golden Grand slam.

CarlaValenti
Sep 10th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Justine will never win Wimbledon.

DimaDinosaur
Sep 11th, 2007, 12:04 AM
OMG, the golden slam is hard. She needs to take it one match at a time though and she needs some luck too. ;)

QUEENLINDSAY
Sep 11th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Actually i think the reason Venus has yet to win the AO is due to lack of match readiness.....The Ao is so early in the season, this is why players like Hingis dominated (she can outthink her opponents, who may not have the kinks worked out of their games for the season) and Serena (everyone is out of shape and she prides herself on winning out of shape......so shes use to it) the higher bounced balls should actually work better to venus' game....

Thats said i dont think MOmo will win another GS... her lack of heart this year seems to me that shes contenet with her two titles...
I agree that lindsay could have a chance but not at AO... its too early.... maybe US though....

Venus proved she can win on surfaces other than grass..... she almost got that first set and if she had she probably would have taken the title against Henin......

And i dont expect ana to get a title before janko.....she just crumbles mentally...

I dont know about venus liking the high bounce balls. Grass court has low ball bounce thats why her backhand crosscourt or down the line was very effective beacuse its on her hitting zone.

You maybe right about Hingis and Serena at AO. As for Lindsay's AO chances, I really think she have a chance as if its like everybody is comming back from a long layoff(off season) and she can start same with everybody else. Also Lindsay is so fresh to do sort of training in the off season better than other players who needs to rest.

I also tend to dis-agree that she had chances at US Open this year. Henin just looks unbeatable out there. She did'nt made Venus run because venus is superb with her court coverage thus Henin fought hitting shots for shots again'st her and waited for opportunity. Henin can just do more with the ball. The only reason the first set was close is because of the pressure of beating the sisters back to back and the drama in it. Otherwise in the second set, she blasted her away off the court.

Tennisstar86
Sep 11th, 2007, 03:05 AM
I also tend to dis-agree that she had chances at US Open this year. Henin just looks unbeatable out there. She did'nt made Venus run because venus is superb with her court coverage thus Henin fought hitting shots for shots again'st her and waited for opportunity. Henin can just do more with the ball. The only reason the first set was close is because of the pressure of beating the sisters back to back and the drama in it. Otherwise in the second set, she blasted her away off the court.

We clearly see different on this point.... Henin got up really early because Venus unwisely didnt show any respect for Henin's serve..... She was a few inches in front of the baseline.... near the end of the set she moved behind the baseline (as johnny mac kept saying for her to do) and thats when the match got interesting....

And i definately disagree with you about Henin blasting Venus off the court.. If anything Venus started to get ahead in that set remember the 3-3 love-40 game... Thats when fatigue set in and it was clear that Venus even if it went to a 3rd set would not last. That said Henin also may not have lasted long in a 3rd set. Basically Henin outlasted Venus in the second set. She definately didnt "blast" her off the court....

shap_half
Sep 11th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Let's see:

The last two times she played the AO, she won or made the finals
The last three times she played RG, she won it
The last two times, she played W, she made the W or SF
The last time she played the OG, she won it
The last two times she played the USO, she made the finals or won it

Justine CAN do it. The last two years have been exceptional years for Justine in terms of GS play, and she has made no secret of much it meant for her to win the Olympics. If Justine can keep injuries away, she has a great chance of completing such a feat.

Mark Spruce
Sep 11th, 2007, 03:19 AM
There is only one Steffi !!!

friendsita
Sep 11th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Justine... really, I don't think so...

David55
Sep 11th, 2007, 03:42 AM

Venus definitely plays better on a surface with a LOW bounce. Not saying she can't win with a high bounce, but her timing is so much better with a low one.

alias
Sep 11th, 2007, 03:42 AM
She's too old and I'm not sure she can be near 100% for all 5 events, which is what would be required. She's great, but she's not Steffi Graf. Kind of like me, I was great, but I'm no Meryl Streep or Katharine Hepburn.
You're the best:lol:

Justine will not win the Golden Slam, she will be exhausted by the time the USO rolls around.