PDA

View Full Version : Does Sveta have an obvious issue?

tenn_ace
Jul 14th, 2002, 11:20 AM
I don't really know what the problem is, but since the last US Open (as far as I could remember) in her 3-set matches she won the first one, led in the second and , for the most part, easily lost the third:

to Bartoli in the US Open
to Zvonareva in the Orange Bowl
to Harkleroad in the French Open

now on the pro-tour

to Tatarkova in the qaulies of Wimbledon
Wartusch in Marocco (semis)

I'm not sure what it is: mental, physical (bad conditioning) or something else. One thing is clear to me, if Sveta doesn't work on this issue, she'll never materialize her top junior ranking in anything significant on a pro tour.

any thoughts on what is the problem with her?

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 14th, 2002, 11:49 AM
mainly nerves and condtioning.

Sveta has to work more on her fitness, she is a brilliant striker of the ball but sometimes her fitness isn't what it should be.

Next yr she will be a year older (of course) and more experience so she will be able to handle it alot better.

lets hope so :)

the cat
Jul 14th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Crumbling in the clutch is a worry I have for all the Russian girls and women. Not just Svetlana Kuznetsova.

And from the pictures I've seen of Sveta, she looks strong, but it fine shape. She comes from a family of cyclists, you know. So she knows about being fit. She looks strong because she is not too tall and very sturdy.

Udachi Svetlana!

tenn_ace
Jul 15th, 2002, 12:31 AM
our always optimistic TBE....

seriously, I don't think it would come automatically with the age... She lost quite a few 3 setters to juniors. I hope Sveta knows what her problems is and if not, she should learn as quickly as possible... She's getting passed on the main tour by other juniors... same age as her.

tenn_ace
Jul 15th, 2002, 12:33 AM
true, cat... mental part is not the strongest part of Russian players. most of tem. But Sveta's case is an extreme. I think.