PDA

View Full Version : Men's tennis is a joke; women's tennis is much better right now...

Sam L
Sep 10th, 2007, 03:58 AM
By all means I love Roger and I want him to just keep winning and winning. :drool:

But it's funny that none of the others could win. It's become very predictable.

Women's tennis, by contrast, has a group of players that can win at any time Justine, Venus, Serena etc... Justine got the better of everyone but let's not forget Wimbledon was only a like 2 months ago.

Fact is, we don't know who will win the Australian Open. Justine seems a good bet but something like Wimbledon could happen again.

But I already know Roger will win at least the Australian, Wimbledon and US next year. :)

So not only do the women deserve the equal prizemoney but women's tennis actually worth watching now because of the unpredictably of outcomes.

Of course, this appraisal does not include the recent US Open final because the result of that was a foregone conclusion. :angel:

bunch_01
Sep 10th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Unfortunately tactically mens tennis is more interesting right now. So many of the women dont seem to be able to create a new tactic on the fly...they just go out and lose. Yeah the conclusion is foregone but right now men's tennis is very exciting in the first week or so but women's tennis doesn't pick up steam until the second week. Thus I'm happiest when its a joint event.

LudwigDvorak
Sep 10th, 2007, 04:19 AM
I'm not a fan of Roddick, Lopez, or Federer, but Federer's matches with those two players were fantastic. Arguably better than almost any woman's match at the USO. And they weren't even my favorite men's matches.

The men know how to entertain on court with talent. Women have drama on their side, but nothing beats a classic five-set thriller.

Seyz
Sep 10th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Men's tennis is getting to be zzzz. Roger winning everything means no rivalry except with Nadal..
Plus Roger = no drama. Sorry, but he doesn't have that much personality.

Pasta-Na
Sep 10th, 2007, 04:41 AM
juju and roger :rocker2:

Pasta-Na
Sep 10th, 2007, 04:42 AM
15 or 16th G.S titles for roger next year :rocker2:

Mattographer
Sep 10th, 2007, 04:44 AM
You must be blind :yawn:

Djokovic and Nadal can challenge him. Djokovic beat him in Canada couple weeks ago.

ATP matches > WTA matches.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Sep 10th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Let's compare the slam winners of MTF with the WTA for the past 2 years...

WTA
2006 - Mauresmo (AO), Henin (FO), Mauresmo (Wimby), Sharapova (USO)
2007 - Serena (AO), Henin (FO), Venus (Wimby), Henin (USO)

In those 2 years, Henin won 3, Mauresmo got 2 and the others are at 1.

MTF
2006 - Federer (AO), Nadal (FO), Federer (Wimby), Federer (USO)
2007 - Please see above.

With the exception of FO, Federer has won basically everything else that's on offer... and he has won at least TWO slams for the past FOUR YEARS.

Yeap... MTF is too predictable. It'll be a miracle if Federer were to lose any of the GS in the next 2-3 years.

Nico_E
Sep 10th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Give me a f*****g break!?

look at Federer's finals with Nadal this year, and even this match with Djokovic, while in straight sets, was a good tight contest.

compare this to the 4 woman finals this year?
6-1 6-2
6-1 6-1
6-1 6-4
6-1 6-3

kind of shit.

lus Roger = no drama. Sorry, but he doesn't have that much personality.If you need that, go to a circus or a cinema.

dont watch tennis.

Nico_E
Sep 10th, 2007, 04:54 AM
With the exception of FO, Federer has won basically everything else that's on offer... and he has won at least TWO slams for the past FOUR YEARS.Like Steffi Graf was doing every year - 10 years ago.

dont hold Federer's brilliance against him, just because he's too good.... not other atp players faults.

faboozadoo15
Sep 10th, 2007, 04:55 AM
:haha: This US Open men's draw was the most exciting major in years! Great matches all over the place!

Mattographer
Sep 10th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Yes, ATP is too predictable in these days but that doesn't mean ATP is a joke ;)

Look at those WTA finals in Grand Slams this year! :o That's what a joke is!

Expat
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:02 AM
at least none of them are as horrendous as the anna sveta SF
that makes u doubt if they are no 2 and no 5 at all
and what does that say about the wta
they are unpredictable because they are pathetic

Mattographer
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:17 AM
at least none of them are as horrendous as the anna sveta SF
that makes u doubt if they are no 2 and no 5 at all
and what does that say about the wta
they are unpredictable because they are pathetic
This is about cover everything :)

Nico_E
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Mens was about Fed/Nadal in 07
Womans = Henin/Williams'

as predictable as each other

difference: more drama and longer more competative finals in mens.

goldenslam888
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:30 AM
federer actually did lose sets in the USO, unlike henin.

saniamania
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:32 AM
I think that Djokovic is closing on. he put fed under a lot of pressure and should have won the first two sets, if he had not choked in his first slam final. Given his age, he ie likely to improve. My prediction is he will upset Fed in the next US Open. fed will win the 08 AO and Wimby though.

While WTA has more drama, ATP has more tennis quality. You cannnot hope to see a ATP GS semifinal of as poor quality as say the Sveta-Anna SF here

Tennisstar86
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:51 AM
sorry but your wrong....The only arguement you could have is that Federer winning every slam is boring... Which i agree. I am tired of him winning; however, Djokovic really should have won 2 of those sets today. That Said If the women were actually putting up compelling finals they could win that bout;however, they arent. The previous rounds are also dull. The only good matches they had were venus vs. Jankovic AND Venus vs. Henin.... everything else was subpar

Tennisstar86
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:51 AM
clearly you didnt watch many of the mens matches...

NeeemZ
Sep 10th, 2007, 07:27 AM
sorry but your wrong....The only arguement you could have is that Federer winning every slam is boring... Which i agree. I am tired of him winning; however, Djokovic really should have won 2 of those sets today. That Said If the women were actually putting up compelling finals they could win that bout;however, they arent. The previous rounds are also dull. The only good matches they had were venus vs. Jankovic AND Venus vs. Henin.... everything else was subpar

I agree with you completely. I am really tired of Federer winning everything because it's no longer fun. I loved the days when the most unexpected person won a GS e.g 2004 French Open (Gaudio), 2001 Wimbledon (Ivanisevic), 2002 AO (Johansson). Federer has made the GS final in 13 of the last 14 GSs.

Men's tennis isn't a joke. It's just become incredibly predictable when Roger is around.

rrfnpump
Sep 10th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Yeah, sure...
Kuznetsova v Chakvetadze was truly better than Federer v Davydenko :o

In terms of quality : ATP >>>>>>>> WTA