PDA

View Full Version : What other players do you wish Carlos had coached since age 14

Reuchlin
Sep 10th, 2007, 03:34 AM
In other words, who has the talent but lacked an amazing coach-- one who took a player who could have had a nice and long stay in the top 10, and turned her into an 7 time Grand Slam champion? What player do you wish had Carlos to push them, physically, mentally and technically?

switz
Sep 10th, 2007, 03:41 AM
He would have been good for Patty. She left her family for freaks/con artists. She may as well left them for a good coach like Justine did.

tennisbear7
Sep 10th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Patty. Such unfulfilled talent.

Reuchlin
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:18 AM
I think Dementieva. He would get her serving much better, add variety etc. etc.

Summer_Snow
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Yeah, agree with Patty ;)

Would like to add up Hingis with her current situation as well :o

gaggleguy
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:45 AM
I think Dementieva. He would get her serving much better, add variety etc. etc.

I disagree with that because Dementieva is very independent and Carlos wouldnt be the right kind of coach for her. Carlos is great coach but the combination of personalities would not be the mix to give the ideal results.

Schnyder is another story, she has big talent but has never had discipline, I am sure a strong discipline coach like Carlos would have made her a Slam winner. Also an underated player like Schiavone could have been better with a great coach

Tennisstar86
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Yeah, agree with Patty ;)

Would like to add up Hingis with her current situation as well :o

Do you remember Hingis late 90's? lol clearly it was her disrespect for those around her and thinking she was the cream of the crop which got her in her current situation (that being needing more power on her groundstrokes and a serve) not a new coach... she prolly would have fired him.... ala how she did her mother.....

That said I think Hingis still has majors in her she just lacks confidence.... I mean did you see the competition at the U.S. Open?

Summer_Snow
Sep 10th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Do you remember Hingis late 90's? lol clearly it was her disrespect for those around her and thinking she was the cream of the crop which got her in her current situation (that being needing more power on her groundstrokes and a serve) not a new coach... she prolly would have fired him.... ala how she did her mother.....

That said I think Hingis still has majors in her she just lacks confidence.... I mean did you see the competition at the U.S. Open?

Rite, I see your point. Agree that her confidence also plays a part.

She probably always has good people around her but sometimes she's just too stubborn to listen and change a thing. Her talent is still there definitely.

saki
Sep 10th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Kuznetsova & Petrova are so physically strong that, if Carlos had also given then variety and mental toughness, they could have been unstoppable.

I think he could have made players like Schiavone and Pennetta into top 5 material too.

Yasmine
Sep 10th, 2007, 06:49 AM
It's not because Carlos was very successful with JH that he would have been with any player he coached. Those 2 obviously work really well together and it might not have worked as well with other players.

DimaDinosaur
Sep 10th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Carlos only picked Justine because she had that mental toughness and fighter instinct from the start. The only person he could have coached into a grand slam champ would have been justine, serena, seles, venus because they had been through stuff. they have that mentality.

dementieva, hantuchova, davenport, hingis, etc would have been a waste of his time.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Sep 10th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Having a good coach is one thing. Working well together is another matter entirely. Luckily, Justine and Carlos blends in together perfectly... or else, she would not have been where she is today.

eck
Sep 10th, 2007, 07:09 AM
I feel it should be Jankovic.
Although it sounds weird because he's serious and she's happy go lucky, but like Wally Masur said, sometimes her smile is just a mask behind the tension. It was pretty evident in FO2007. She looked so happy before the match against Ju, then she was so upset as it went on

Direwolf
Sep 10th, 2007, 07:41 AM
davenport
capriati
hingis
sharapova
ivanovic
jankovic
clijsters
petrova
mauresmo
chakvetadze
safina

shiziko
Sep 10th, 2007, 07:52 AM
amelie

BkkHype
Sep 10th, 2007, 07:56 AM
His intensity and disciplins plus Serena Williams's physique and determination would create a real monster on the tour.:tape: :fiery: :devil:

matanuriel
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I would have liked him to work with Shahar, because I think she had some bad decisions considering coaches in the past. He would have given her a better serve and more power to her groundies.

Serval
Sep 10th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Schnyder and Kuznetsova.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 10th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Great coaching is certainly a vital aspect needed if a playing going to reach the level of success Henin has. Obviously natural talent is essential too. However even with a coach as good as Carlos Rodriguez and all the natural talent in the world a player isn't sure to succeed. There is one other very important aspect needed, motivation and the willingness to work one's butt off. There are quite a few players out there with the natural talent to be number one, there are also a fair number with the necessary motivation. But there are very few with both. And of that very few, most won't get coaching of the standard needed to make it to the top.