PDA

View Full Version : So is Justine the new poster girl for shorter tennis players?

Jakeev
Sep 10th, 2007, 02:32 AM
I can remember just 6 years ago when Martina Hingis began getting beaten up on by the bigger and stronger players that we thought that to be a great tennis player, you had to be taller.

Now all this time later, Justine Henin comes along at 5-5 and pretty much is changing the face of tennis all over again.

Her victory at the Open this year I think is HUGE. But what I am wondering, is she a fluke among tennis players her height or is she going to inspire other players to follow her lead and actually become a major challenger to the taller players?

If anything, Justine gives hope that you don't have to be 6-0 tall or higher to be a tennis champion.

Any players you can think of up and coming that could have a Justine-like career?

Forehand_Volley
Sep 10th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Henin killed Big Babe tennis.

Apoleb
Sep 10th, 2007, 02:35 AM
She proved that it's not impossible to compete at the very highest level while not being a huge girl. But honestly, it takes a very, very special player to acheive that.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Sep 10th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Being short + no talent = Massacre

Being short + with talent - practice = Deadmeat

Being short + with talent + practice - good coach = Flawed product

Being short + with talent + practice + good coach = Justine Henin ;)

gaggleguy
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Henin showed against Venus that her small size can be an advantage. WHen Venus had to run so much in that match, her body and fitness started breaking down, while Justine's smaller and lighter frame served her well with all the running

supergrunt
Sep 10th, 2007, 06:23 AM
yeah she will... if every short tennis player bulks up to about twice the size in muscle of his or her opponent.

lecciones
Sep 10th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Martina herself when she was beginning defeated players bigger and more athletic than her. before that Chris Evert, and of course no Justine.

sportywoman
Sep 10th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I remembered Jamea Jackson saying something along the way last year. That Justine was the one she looks up to because of her success and her height. That she gives her hope to make it to the top if she works hard. Jamea is 5'4"

stickwitju(ju)
Sep 10th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Being short + with talent + practice - good coach = Flawed product

Kimiko Date.

:rocker2:

kabuki
Sep 10th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Justine is actually the poster girl for hard work, discipline, and technique.

stickwitju(ju)
Sep 10th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I hate it when people completely miss the topic starter's point especially one as clear as this one. Dayum.

:weirdo:

rottweily
Sep 10th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Henin killed Big Babe tennis.

Single handed :worship:

kabuki
Sep 10th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I hate it when people completely miss the topic starter's point especially one as clear as this one. Dayum.

And I hate it when people lay judgement without true understanding. Dayum.

thrust
Sep 10th, 2007, 02:22 PM
According to Billie Jean King, Justine is the poster girl for short younger players. As for bulking up, which Justine no longer does, noone is more bulked up than Serena.

stickwitju(ju)
Sep 10th, 2007, 02:22 PM
And I hate it when people lay judgement without true understanding. Dayum.

And I hate it when people post just to see themselves talk as opposed to addressing the actual question posed to them. Dayum.

kabuki
Sep 10th, 2007, 02:45 PM
And I hate it when people post just to see themselves talk as opposed to addressing the actual question posed to them. Dayum.

You're still missing the point. But that's OK, you must be used to it. Have a nice day.

stickwitju(ju)
Sep 10th, 2007, 03:14 PM
You're still missing the point. But that's OK, you must be used to it. Have a nice day.

Actually that would be you, dude. If short girls were as dominant as JH then you would have a point but since they aren't you don't.

:dance:

Kart
Sep 10th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Kimiko Date.

:rocker2:

Eh ?

Much as I loved Date, she was hardly in Henin's league - with or without a great coach. Nor was she a flawed product though.

Re: the thread's topic, I agree that Henin could be inspiring for shorter players to take on the taller ones.

I doubt many of them will be able to make it look so easy though.

Jakeev
Sep 10th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I remembered Jamea Jackson saying something along the way last year. That Justine was the one she looks up to because of her success and her height. That she gives her hope to make it to the top if she works hard. Jamea is 5'4"

And I always thought Jamea was going to go the Justine route someday. She has had it really tough with injuries and her health. A lot of bad luck.:sad:

Randy H
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:22 PM
yeah she will... if every short tennis player bulks up to about twice the size in muscle of his or her opponent.

Bulking up isnt the issue - You need to be very fit, but you don't have to be bulky. A big part of pace on shots is from technique, body movement into the shot, and timing. Justine has really worked hard on improving in those areas and I think that's been essential in her development.

Mightymirza
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:24 PM
she should be poster girl for any tennis player short or tall.. period!