PDA

View Full Version : If THIS doesn't motivate Serena, nothing will.

Olórin
Sep 8th, 2007, 02:54 PM
With Justine winning the USO, being tied with Serena and Venus for numbers won of their home slam, which they USED to dominate, having 7 Grand Slams which puts her ahead of Venus and only one behind Serena, plus her 3 match losing streak to Justine, Serena has a lot to prove I think to the tennis world, in terms of her still being the unquestioned best at her peak or not. (Of course we her fans and Serena know she is the GOAT anyway ;) )

I love Serena the tennis player and person, and I want her to be happy and do what she wants to do. So I don't want her to become a winning machine who is only about the tennis, like Justine is atm, and Steffi Graf before her, and Navratilova before that. However, I do want Serena to achieve her goals and be the best the player she wants to be. Her goals include winning many more majors and being number one again. In order to do these things Serena will need to lose weight, get in better shape (this should lessen the amount of injuries she gets), and practice like crazy. If she isn't injured or anything, she could do this before the YECs. Either way, I hope she is seriously up for AO defence next year, where a lot will be on the line.

This USO has been a lesson for the sisters in that the current worold number one is determined to prove she is the best at the moment on the clay or off it. It is left for Serena (and Venus) to step upto the plate and lay down the gauntlet.

Anyone agree? :)

doni1212
Sep 8th, 2007, 05:09 PM
With Justine winning the USO, being tied with Serena and Venus for numbers won of their home slam, which they USED to dominate, having 7 Grand Slams which puts her ahead of Venus and only one behind Serena, plus her 3 match losing streak to Justine, Serena has a lot to prove I think to the tennis world, in terms of her still being the unquestioned best at her peak or not. (Of course we her fans and Serena know she is the GOAT anyway ;) )

I love Serena the tennis player and person, and I want her to be happy and do what she wants to do. So I don't want her to become a winning machine who is only about the tennis, like Justine is atm, and Steffi Graf before her, and Navratilova before that. However, I do want Serena to achieve her goals and be the best the player she wants to be. Her goals include winning many more majors and being number one again. In order to do these things Serena will need to lose weight, get in better shape (this should lessen the amount of injuries she gets), and practice like crazy. If she isn't injured or anything, she could do this before the YECs. Either way, I hope she is seriously up for AO defence next year, where a lot will be on the line.

This USO has been a lesson for the sisters in that the current worold number one is determined to prove she is the best at the moment on the clay or off it. It is left for Serena (and Venus) to step upto the plate and lay down the gauntlet.

Anyone agree? :)

I agree and I feel that if she doesn't play in the fall it will be a mistake. She needs to re-dedicate herself to being the force she once was and still is in tennis. And that starts with a little payback at the YEC. (Although it would be a little sweeter at a grand slam.) But in my heart, I feel the withdrawls coming for the upcoming season and thus dropping her out of the YEC.

Olórin
Sep 8th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I feel the same in my heart :(

StarDuvallGrant
Sep 8th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Re-dedication and commitment have always been what Serena needed. She's getting older so it's no joke. We'll see right?

Lulu.
Sep 8th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Re-dedication and commitment have always been what Serena needed. She's getting older so it's no joke. We'll see right?

No doubt. She needs to put everything else aside and focus on her tennis career and save all the other stuff for after she retires.

StarDuvallGrant
Sep 9th, 2007, 01:18 AM
No doubt. She needs to put everything else aside and focus on her tennis career and save all the other stuff for after she retires.

We, Serena too, don't know how much longer she will or more importantly can play, so while I don't want her to be unhappy, cloistered up somewhere, if she can just prove to herself the way she did at the Australian, the remaining year can be great and 2008 can be one she owns.

-VSR-
Sep 9th, 2007, 05:35 AM
I just really don't see the dedication. I think she'll pull out for the rest of the fall... it's just been her trend. :sad:

Also, I'm actually NOT looking forward to the next time Serena faces Justine. I thought losing to her at the French Open would motivate her and then losing at Wimbledon (of all places) but she just didn't bring 'it' at the US Open. I'm scared Justine has gotten into Serena's head.

Olórin
Sep 9th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I don't think Justine has gotten to Serena's head, however she WILL keep beating her unless Serena somehow finds the form she had earlier this year, or get's in better shape and does it the hard way - which she should imo. She needs to dedicate herself 100% if she wants to number one again, and she needs to make this decision now! Top spin just won't reel in the majors. It hurts to say it, but it's true :sad:

AkademiQ
Sep 9th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I just really don't see the dedication. I think she'll pull out for the rest of the fall... it's just been her trend. :sad:

Also, I'm actually NOT looking forward to the next time Serena faces Justine. I thought losing to her at the French Open would motivate her and then losing at Wimbledon (of all places) but she just didn't bring 'it' at the US Open. I'm scared Justine has gotten into Serena's head.

I never look towards Serena/Justine matches just because I can't take Justine's face. She hasn't been playing out of her mind and the games as I've seen it, have come down to Serena. Have Serena finally get to that level she needs to get to and it's not a problem anymore. It's not about Justine being in Serena's head at all. The stats she has this US Open were horrible and Serena should never have lost.

SerenaAndTheVee
Sep 10th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I don't think Serena has any problem with motivation. It's not a secret that she loves to win. I think the issue right now is focus. With so much on her plate, something has to give and occasionally it's tennis that gets the backseat and unfortunately she suffers the consequences.

bake cell
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:37 PM
My prayers are with her.:lol: She needs JESUS just like I do.:devil: She will give them hell, after getting burned, PAYBACK will cost us all!:angel:

I'm suffering as a fan. :rolleyes: Clarity.:o

Soothing
Sep 10th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I think that Justine is definitely in Serena's head, as she should be. I'm a serious fan of Serena's, but I'm not one that will follow blindly and put her on some super human pedestal. Justine has been in Serena's head since Miami. Yes, she was able to pull off the win, but as anyone could see Justine dominated that match and would have continued to if nerves hadn't gotten to her. Justine learned from that, Serena didn't choose to, she continued on as if her will alone would suffice and Justine's weaker constitution would remain the same. Big error, because Carlos pushed Justine to deal with that weakness. I noticed Serena has improved the one-handed backhand and her drop shot. I also know that Serena is much better at the net than she displayed. What I didn't see was her utilize any of it when she met Henin. I could be wrong, because I only watched the match once. Haven't been able to force myself to watch again:(
Justine will be super confident when they next meet and therefore have the mental edge. I'm by no means saying that Serena won't step up to the plate. She has to bring her best physically, and mentally and with no emotion. Emotion doesn't allow for clear thinking in crucial situations. I think that once Serena digest this latest loss and with Venus having also faced Henin, they'll know what they need to do. Serena's response to this loss was good from a competitor and a fans perspective. She showed what's in her heart. She also has to process this and hopefully will not be able to delude herself any longer in the process. Nothing like balls whizzing by you on a big stage and feeling helpless to defend, to make you face reality. I won't believe anything other than she and Venus will defend their legacy and not let Henin surpass them in slams. She has the heart to conquer this Belgian waffle.:fiery: :fiery: :devil:

I also sincerely hope that she isn't pregnant, I think that would be the only thing that would make her turn away from this challenge.

Olórin
Sep 11th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I must disagree about Justine being in Serena's head since Miami Soothing. I think now Serena might realise Justine is tougher than she gave her credit for. But Serena came out very slow in Miami and LET Justine dominate that match. It would've been over 64 64 if Serena had maintained her form from previous rounds. Her problem since the Miami final has been form. She hasn't been hitting that hard at all, using lots of topspin and at times merely guiding the ball in.

True, Justine learned a lot from that Miami final, but Serena got cocky imo and always thought she could rely on Justine to break down, a bit like Martina against Chris Evert, when Martina became nearly as mentally strong as Chris, Chrissie had to really up her game against Martina, and it payed off. If Serena wants to dominate Justine outside of clay again, then as everyone has said she really needs to buckle down and find her good form. I think a huge part of this is being in shape. True, in 2004 she was in shape, but she was still recovering from the surgery, since then she hasn't really been in shape. She needs to get those legs toned and buckle down, as I still think she has a good three/four seasons left of her best tennis if she does this :) I really don't think there's any substitute for this than playing matches. Serena has to take it to Justine now, who will as you said be super-confident. However I think Serena will also be confident she can pay her back. She needs to take her down a couple of times before the clay season next year. As Im still relying on Serena to end Justine's reign of terror at RG :devil:

Miss Carl
Sep 11th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Yall need to chill cuz Serena will be back with a quickness and put a hurtin on these heffa's AGAIN. :lol: I aint worried about Miss Lady cuz she aint goin out like that. Trust! :cool:

williamsluva
Sep 15th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I must disagree about Justine being in Serena's head since Miami Soothing. I think now Serena might realise Justine is tougher than she gave her credit for. But Serena came out very slow in Miami and LET Justine dominate that match. It would've been over 64 64 if Serena had maintained her form from previous rounds. Her problem since the Miami final has been form. She hasn't been hitting that hard at all, using lots of topspin and at times merely guiding the ball in.

True, Justine learned a lot from that Miami final, but Serena got cocky imo and always thought she could rely on Justine to break down, a bit like Martina against Chris Evert, when Martina became nearly as mentally strong as Chris, Chrissie had to really up her game against Martina, and it payed off. If Serena wants to dominate Justine outside of clay again, then as everyone has said she really needs to buckle down and find her good form. I think a huge part of this is being in shape. True, in 2004 she was in shape, but she was still recovering from the surgery, since then she hasn't really been in shape. She needs to get those legs toned and buckle down, as I still think she has a good three/four seasons left of her best tennis if she does this :) I really don't think there's any substitute for this than playing matches. Serena has to take it to Justine now, who will as you said be super-confident. However I think Serena will also be confident she can pay her back. She needs to take her down a couple of times before the clay season next year. As Im still relying on Serena to end Justine's reign of terror at RG :devil:

I think she is in her head, maybe not as a fear, more like an obsession, and an annoyance, but shes in there. Serena believes she can beat her but serena has so much goin on, u could se at wimbledon and the uso she was stressin in early matches she knew justine would be there and she wanted to lay the smack down on her, Andy Roddick against GIMBELSTOB, up 1 set (or 2) and a break, makes one error "DAMN IT COME ON" was so damn pumped up (angry) because he made a few sloppy errors on "unimportant" points, cos the swiss miss was in the quarters. Its the same for serena, and Henin, not fear frustration and rather than being a perfectionist who simply wants to be the best, shes being obsessive compulsive she HASS TO BE PERFECT SPOT ON. There was just a smile after her victories, remember miami or even the aussie twirling and dancing and jumping for joy and waving her finger in the air after ever victory?

And with Chris and Martina, I think Martina did become as mentally strong as her, she was at least more focussed and more intense (I know u mean the ice water in the veins and the ability to stay cool under enormous pressure). In the end the head to head speaks for itself though, no matter how good Chrissy got, martina in her prime owned Chrissy (the first 10-15 matches mean almost nothing in that perspective). But yeh its true Chrissy didnt believe she could beat martina on clay until she finally did it once at the FO then she did it more consistently there after (Martinas worst chrissys best surface) Right now I think serena has lost a little bit of that feeling of invincibility against Henin on her favoured Hard court (Come on no one in the world has beaten her on hard court this year except Bammer when serena was outta form). And no1 else except venus can beat her on hard courts, naturally it would have made serena feel like she could do the same to henin with a bit of match play.

bake cell
Sep 16th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I think she is in her head, maybe not as a fear, more like an obsession, and an annoyance, but shes in there. Serena believes she can beat her but serena has so much goin on, u could se at wimbledon and the uso she was stressin in early matches she knew justine would be there and she wanted to lay the smack down on her, Andy Roddick against GIMBELSTOB, up 1 set (or 2) and a break, makes one error "DAMN IT COME ON" was so damn pumped up (angry) because he made a few sloppy errors on "unimportant" points, cos the swiss miss was in the quarters. Its the same for serena, and Henin, not fear frustration and rather than being a perfectionist who simply wants to be the best, shes being obsessive compulsive she HASS TO BE PERFECT SPOT ON. There was just a smile after her victories, remember miami or even the aussie twirling and dancing and jumping for joy and waving her finger in the air after ever victory?

And with Chris and Martina, I think Martina did become as mentally strong as her, she was at least more focussed and more intense (I know u mean the ice water in the veins and the ability to stay cool under enormous pressure). In the end the head to head speaks for itself though, no matter how good Chrissy got, martina in her prime owned Chrissy (the first 10-15 matches mean almost nothing in that perspective). But yeh its true Chrissy didnt believe she could beat martina on clay until she finally did it once at the FO then she did it more consistently there after (Martinas worst chrissys best surface) Right now I think serena has lost a little bit of that feeling of invincibility against Henin on her favoured Hard court (Come on no one in the world has beaten her on hard court this year except Bammer when serena was outta form). And no1 else except venus can beat her on hard courts, naturally it would have made serena feel like she could do the same to henin with a bit of match play.

:lol: BREATHE, It's going to be alright.:bounce:

Tennisaddict
Sep 16th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I also think that Justine is in Serena's head. It was seen in Miami where she was very tentative, at RG she was so flat like she wasn't there mentally. That's the first time my suspicions were confirmed. She somehow fears Justine which is totally unneccesary because she can still beat her even on clay. Wimbledon showed that she wanted it bad but was prevented by injury and then the US Open she didn't seem to believe that she could beat Justine just like RG, so she will really have to bring it next time cause this is only adding to Justine's confidence.

I remember Serena's match against Maria at OZ 2005 semis. That was a very tough match and it was clear that Maria was in Serena's head after two very tough losses to her in 2004. Serena finally shook it off in that match and we all know what happened in their next matches, total domination and belief that she is the better player and that she should win everytime they meet.

Maria is of course no Justine, far from it but Serena is having the same mental struggle right now. I hope she can overcome it before it's too late because Justine is tougher to crack than Maria and Serena basically can not afford another loss to Justine the next time they meet. So far history has shown that Serena responds well to challenge. First with Venus, Hingis, Davenport, than with Capriati, Maria and now hopefully with Justine.

StarDuvallGrant
Sep 16th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Serena responds well to a challenge but when she overcomes it can she be consistent? I guess it's one step at a time but after OZ I thought consistent would be the word of the day but it hasn't been.

williamsluva
Sep 19th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Serena responds well to a challenge but when she overcomes it can she be consistent? I guess it's one step at a time but after OZ I thought consistent would be the word of the day but it hasn't been.

Yeh sorry to deflate anyones bubble, but these constant injuries are really not acceptable. She SHouldnt be getting injured so easily, she would play if she were healthy but why is she so fragile? It makes no sense, even in 02 she won Rome with a thigh strapping (against henin on clay) she doesnt get the upper body problems that venus has (all thanks to Richard not teaching Venus solid technique on the serve in particular, too much stress on her upper body). But its the year 2007, Sports science has taken a huge leap in advancement since 5 years ago u see Gridiron players get injured less than serena (if u count the games they play against the amount she plays) U have lots of men and women who are either bigger or heavier than her and they arent injured as often as her. Shes fit but not well conditioned and she seems to have weak joints as does venus.

Someone in that camp has got to go and someone with more knowledge about proper athletic conditioning has got to get in there.

Everytime shes injured her game just resets again, she said after australia that she wanted to ameliorate her game but i havent seen that happen , shes actually playing with less variety and less polish in her game than she did in Australia. And i just watched that Aus open final again, her positioning was sublime she was just THERE in every point in perfect position to smack the ball wherever she wanted as hard as she wanted, and the volleys she was running and moving around to hit em she almost looked light on her feet, in that match against henin she looked comparatively slower and the movement looked more laboured, in that first game she came out guns blazing for a few points and even running "fast" but she wasnt agile, and she also wasnt able to keep her speed up for long, even her intensity just died.

What I dont like is the fact that she needs to lose to people to find inspiration to play, its her life and all im just upset as a fan that she doesnt seem to have those great goals she once had (go a whole year undefeated for 2003) . I miss that, and it looks like its never gonna come back, i thought it might watching the Aussie, WOWW, the Screaming after winning long rallies and big points or hitting great shots, that demonic look in her eyes, didnt see it at any of the other majors this year except wimbledon. Just hope that she finds that fiery ambition again

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 19th, 2007, 05:13 PM
this will motivate her....the same way 2 big losses in 2 big finals to masha motivated her these 3 losses will sting her especially the last one cause it was at home....hope she can do it at the YEC