PDA

View Full Version : How will being Ranked #10 affect Martina's Future When She Does Return?

TSequoia01
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Many argue that part of the reasons for Marti's past successes was her ability to maintain her #1 ranking for over 200 weeks. This insured easy draws to the semis. Since her injury, her ranking has been steadily dropping. This now means tough draws when she does return especially at tier I's and slams. Will this have an adverse affect on her climb back to the top? Can she overcome it? :confused:

ys
Jul 13th, 2002, 04:04 PM
I would worry more about Lindsay than about Martina. Martina won't get lower than Top 10, because she already earned plenty of points this year and already qualified for LA. Lindsay will likely to drop out of Top 10 and will have to struggle to qualify for LA.

TSequoia01
Jul 13th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by ys
I would worry more about Lindsay than about Martina. Martina won't get lower than Top 10, because she already earned plenty of points this year and already qualified for LA. Lindsay will likely to drop out of Top 10 and will have to struggle to qualify for LA.

You make an excellent point! Lindsay is defending a ton of points:

Stanford ................. Finals
San Diego............... Semis
Los Angeles.............Won * corrected
New Haven..............Finals
U.S. Open................Quarters
Stuttgart..................Won
Zurich.......................Won
Linz..........................Won
Tour Champ.............Finals

:eek: :eek: :eek: :)

Vincent
Jul 13th, 2002, 05:11 PM
that means williams and jen should have to meet martina in earlier round than past, if we see from another angle, it's a kind of bad luck of them!

▀coene
Jul 13th, 2002, 05:19 PM
I agree it's also bad for the other top players. They will meet Lindsay and Martina earlier now.

Jarrett
Jul 13th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Not really. I don't see a reason that Martina will beat them. We have no idea how she is going to play when she comes back. She is the one that won't want to meet hard competition early on because she will be wanting to up her ranking.

TSequoia01
Jul 13th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by ferrero
that means williams and jen should have to meet martina in earlier round than past, if we see from another angle, it's a kind of bad luck of them!

[/COLOR] Certainly that is the case. But what is also true is Martina may have to deal with players like Dokic, Dementieva, Hantuckova, Henin, Daniilidou, and others long before she used to. :eek:

mboyle
Jul 13th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Hingis can beat all of those players that you listed in straight sets without breaking a sweat (except maybe Hantuchova)

Jarrett
Jul 13th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Martina HINGIS (SUI) v Elena DEMENTIEVA (RUS)

1999 Australian Open Hard (O) 64 Martina HINGIS 6-3 6-2
2000 Moscow Carpet (I) QF Martina HINGIS 6-0 6-7(5) 7-5
2001 Moscow Carpet (I) QF Elena DEMENTIEVA 2-6 2-6

Martina HINGIS (SUI) leads 2 : 1

Oh yes easy wins.... :rolleyes:

Ryan
Jul 13th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Hah! To me that 2001 Moscow meeting means nothing, Hingis played like shit practically all year. When Marti comes back from an injury she plays great, and she wont lose to players like that. I think being at #10 will only give her insentive to make it back to the otp, hopefully she'll come out on fire!

Peter M
Jul 13th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Linds won LA last year.

Anonymous
Jul 13th, 2002, 05:53 PM
I think we also have to look at the fact that Hingis might have a very difficult 2003 (at least in the first 3 months of 2003). If she could not defend all her points that she earned in the first three months this year in 2003, her ranking might even drop lower by, say, April of 2003.
She has the following to defend in 2003:
Sydney: Won
Aus Open: Runner-up
Tokyo (is that the right city? I am unsure..): Won
Indian Wells: Runner-up
So, the best way (to prepare for next year) is to come back strongly in the European indoor season.
Hope Hingis will be back soon.

treufreund
Jul 13th, 2002, 06:01 PM
I think being ranked #10 will make somewhat more difficult but also she will be well rested and focused. She has had some great runs after coming back from injuries. With martina it's all about being fresh and having the fire to win. Once she has that she can beat anybody.

venusfan
Jul 13th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Martina will have to settle with #5-10 right now, as I don't see her getting past Venus,Serena,Capriati and Davenport.

I think Henin is a threat also but she have this there againts top players where she plays great for 6 games then she just goes away... don't think she will be able to hang with Hingis for more than a set.

TSequoia01
Jul 13th, 2002, 06:06 PM
I did leave out Chanda, Henin, and Clijsters, some more players she could meet in the 3rd or 4th rounds of slams

cmasters
Jul 13th, 2002, 06:11 PM
I think that Hingis will be fine if she's on the opposite side of the draw of which ever Williams sister is playing in the tournament. That means that either Jen or Monica will be the 2 seed and I think Hingis should fair well against them.

selesfan
Jul 13th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Won't she have an injury protected ranking?

Jarrett
Jul 13th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Anonymous, you are very correct.

Jarrett
Jul 13th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Won't she have an injury protected ranking?

She might, if she is out for 6 months. But still that won't help her seeding. It is only used for entry into the tournament.

Anonymous
Jul 13th, 2002, 06:28 PM
So, Davenport will have a "difficult" second-half of 2002, but she could start gaining tons of points in the first 7 months of 2003, while Hingis must try to win titles in the European indoor season (if she returns).
If she only returns next yeat, I can't see her defending all points (at least) she gained in Sydney, Oz Open and Tokyo (and Pan Pacific Open, am I right).
The most shocking thing is that the points that Davenport gained in 2002 will "slowly" come off (because she did not play every week in 2002), but Hingis played those three events (that I mentioned above) without a break/rest, so ALL THOSE POINTS will come off in a month (IMMEDIATELY!!!!!).
So, I would say Hingis is in more trouble than Davenport (in the long-term).
Sometimes I think it is better for a player to be good in all four services, so that the points will not come off immediately during certain months.
E.G. See Conchita's plummet in her rankings after the French Open 2001, since she gained tons of points on clay in 2000.
And Davenport never "trys her best" on clay. If she really enjoys clay and be more "serious", I can still see her doing well on clay and gain many points next year.
On hardcourt, I would say Davenport has an advantage over Hingis (from a point-gaining point of view).
So, Hingis must be healthy and be back soon.
I would say V. Williams, S. Williams, Capriati, Seles and Henin would be the top 5 for sure, while it depends on when Hingis returns to fight for the No.6 spot with Clijsters and Dokic.
Davenport, if she finishes the year being able to qualify for the chase, it would be huge achievement for her.