PDA

View Full Version : If Jelena can take Venus to a third set

petesz
Sep 5th, 2007, 06:30 AM
She will win.

Venus' possible comment on Serena's loss "at least I am going to be an aunt in nine months"

Ntour
Sep 5th, 2007, 08:05 AM
i also think that venus doesn't play well in third sets

so if she can get it to a third i would favour janko, but venus might take it in straights

ViennaCalling
Sep 5th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Although i love Jelena, i hope that Venus will win, because she is the only one who maybe can stop Henin :help:

Jelena would lose her nerves like always against Henin :tape:

Bruno71
Sep 5th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Although i love Jelena, i hope that Venus will win, because she is the only one who maybe can stop Henin :help:

Last year when JJ played JuJu in the semis, I rooted for JuJu because I thought she was the only one who could stop Maria. Look where that got me. Never root against a player you love for that reason ;)

Who knows...the streak might end sometime, JJ's come close on numerous occasions to beating Justine, who tends to freeze in semis & finals of slams outside of RG. That said, it'd be a tall order.

jonny84
Sep 5th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I think Jelena can take the match.

She beat Venus at the French and at Wimbledon, so has that mental edge over her.

Juju4ever
Sep 5th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I think Jelana can do it. She's such a solid player from the baseline, with the right tactic, she'll win the match, IMO.

Dorcas Monjimbo
Sep 5th, 2007, 10:41 AM
This time I'm sticking with Venus. I think she'll beat Jelena in 2 straight sets. She has been Superb since she started playing. Just like the Venus I used to see in 2001/2002.

DimaDinosaur
Sep 5th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Me too, Venus will beat JJ in straights sets like 6-3 6-1 or something

Ben.
Sep 5th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I have a feeling that Venus is just playing too well at the moment & if she maintains the form that she has displayed in her last 4 matches she will win in straight sets. However I wouldn't be surprised if Jelena took Venus to a third set & won it & it could may well happen if Jelena gets plenty of shots back in play to frustrate Venus.

I like both players so much but my pick is Venus to win straights as I mentioned before.

Wayn77
Sep 5th, 2007, 11:00 AM

JJ has been mighty close - closer than anybody against the mighty Henin in 2007.

Jelena will need to do what she always does against Venus.
Keep the points going as long as possible and hope the Vee forehand and first serve, breaks down at some stage.

Direwolf
Sep 5th, 2007, 11:16 AM
JJ has been mighty close - closer than anybody against the mighty Henin in 2007.

Keep the points going as long as possible and hope the Vee forehand and first serve, breaks down at some stage.

yet she hasnt beaten her..!! lol...
and there are other players who has beaten her..

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 5th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I think Jelena matches up better against Venus than just about any other player. That said Venus's form right now is sublime and I expect Venus to win in 2. But if it does go to three then taking into account Venus's anemia problem I do think Jelena does become a warm favorite.

Assuming Venus does get past Jelena she will also be the favorite for sure against Justine although that match would certainly not be a sure thing for either opponent. Actually if Venus vs Justine does happen it could be the highest quality match of the year.

Wayn77
Sep 5th, 2007, 11:22 AM
yet she hasnt beaten her..!! lol...
and there are other players who has beaten her..

True.

They have probably met more times than any other H2H in 2007.
Don't remember any bagels or beatdowns from Henin.
But yes, Jelena needs to find the finishing line against Justine.
The Belgian is tough ... not easy.

Tennisaddict
Sep 5th, 2007, 11:28 AM
When Venus plays well Jelena will not go to a third set. Jelena is dependent on Venus' errors and second serve and/or DF to beat her. So far Venus has been very consistent. The way she beat Ivanovic who actually has a very good serve was impressive. If Venus attacks Jelena's serve well, serves well herself and keeps her composure in the rallies she will beat Jelena in straights.

So Disrespectful
Sep 5th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Venus' possible comment on Serena's loss "at least I am going to be an aunt in nine months"

:speakles: That's not a very nice thing to say about Serena!

V-MAC
Sep 5th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I just hope Vee is able to keep her nerves under control. She looked really nervous at the start of her match with Ana but she can't really afford a slow start here.

Jasmin
Sep 5th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Venus explain why she would lose energy. She found out that she was anemic but now that she's eating more iron it may be a different story. I do like JJ but I don't see her handling Henin.

Smackie
Sep 5th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Jelena has every chance to take this one in 3 if her head stays with her.

Her speed, her accuracy can force errors from Venus - which imo should be her plan today.

I want Justine vs Venus though.....but either way it's cool.

Go Venus, go Jelena! Please play a great match cos the remaning QFs are shite.

leannenufc
Sep 5th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I love Jelena...but I think Venus will win this in straight sets.

However, if it was to go to three, I'd pick Jelena to come through. I believe the only reason it might go to three is if Venus wasn't playing her best tennis-and JJ can definately beat a below-par Venus.

LeChuck
Sep 5th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I think that Venus will win this in two tight sets. Jelena is a bad match up for Venus, but Venus is in the much better form out of the two at the moment, and also the Decoturf II at Flushing Meadows is the fastest out of the 4 grand slam surfaces.

fufuqifuqishahah
Sep 5th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I want Venus to win, cuz I'm totally feeling her this tournament, but if she loses to JJ, I wouldn't mind... just as long as JJ beats Henin.

cellophane
Sep 5th, 2007, 02:54 PM
If Venus plays like she did in the first set against Ivanovic, Jelena will win.

Yonexforever
Sep 5th, 2007, 02:58 PM
If Venus plays like she did in the first set against Ivanovic, Jelena will win.

:confused:

vwfan
Sep 5th, 2007, 02:59 PM

The sign of a grand slam champion for sure: strategy--wait for the other player to lose, rather than win based upon your game. It worked for Hingis for years! ;)

harloo
Sep 5th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Being close doesn't count, you have to finish the job. And Jelena has expressed how she feels she can beat everyone but Justine. I really don't understand her mentality because she has been close but ends up choking every time. That's why I prefer her to lose against Venus tonight because she'll fold against Justine while Venus will take it too her.

aeronatasha
Sep 5th, 2007, 04:09 PM
JJ can be a rough fighter if she puts her mind into it.
I'd love nothing more then her beating Henin, but Venus is a huge bite too, so I'm not sure what'll happen.
Go JJ. :)

Wayn77
Sep 5th, 2007, 04:11 PM
The sign of a grand slam champion for sure: strategy--wait for the other player to lose, rather than win based upon your game. It worked for Hingis for years! ;)

Don't be a dumbass.
Winning, tactics (and forcing your opponent into mistakes) comes in many forms.
Defense and strategy is one, and choosing the right moment to turn defense into attack. Hingis was a master of this subtle strategy - a cornerstone of her game.

Wayn77
Sep 5th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Being close doesn't count, you have to finish the job. And Jelena has expressed how she feels she can beat everyone but Justine. I really don't understand her mentality because she has been close but ends up choking every time. That's why I prefer her to lose against Venus tonight because she'll fold against Justine while Venus will take it too her.

Choking? Excuse me - we are talking Justine Henin here.

World no. 1, best player in the world and arguably now the toughest.

Beating her and winning the big prizes is something that has to be learnt - it cannot be taught.

Maybe Jelena never will, we are going to find out. It won't be for the want of trying.

Tennisation
Sep 5th, 2007, 04:33 PM
She will win.

Venus' possible comment on Serena's loss "at least I am going to be an aunt in nine months"7 months, Serena's already 2 months pregnant;)

Tennisstar86
Sep 5th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I think we're taking a lot for granted saying Venus cant last 3 sets......if it goes 3 (i dont think it will) Jelena will still have a tough ime beating Venus....

Bruno71
Sep 5th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I think we're taking a lot for granted saying Venus cant last 3 sets......if it goes 3 (i dont think it will) Jelena will still have a tough ime beating Venus....

Well, people take a lot of things for granted going into matches, yourself included. Venus has had issues with 3 setters in the past so it's not unreasonable, though not a given either.

woosey
Sep 5th, 2007, 06:04 PM
venus is seeking to avenge everything - serena's loss, jj's past victories...

terjw
Sep 5th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I think Venus is a huge favourite to win quite easily in 2 sets. Jelena really hasn't been playing all that well so far. She's been eeking out the wins with her "B" game - and she admits it, and I fear for her serve. As a Jelena fan I'm happy she got this far and I'm treating getting further as a bonus. I do feel if somehow she can get it to a third set - she can win it. And who know. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

Tennisstar86
Sep 6th, 2007, 12:38 AM
this second set hasnt taken much energy. I dont think energy will come into play. venus raised her level. lets see if Jelena can respond.... this might be an actual good match for once on the womens side this tourny. Nice points. etc....

Volcana
Sep 6th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Venus might lose in 3, but it won't be on cardio.

hectopascal
Sep 6th, 2007, 12:43 AM
I thought both players were making too many UE in the second set. Jelena should've fought more to make Venus more tired going into the third set.

DimaDinosaur
Sep 6th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Venus will win the 3rd set, I mean she woke up and her power and serve are there now. And she's mkaing less UFE. All that = Jankovic losing the 3rd set and match without a doubt

Tennisstar86
Sep 6th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Janko seems more tired at this moment also... btw

DimaDinosaur
Sep 6th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Jankovic is way too tired. She is going down so fast. venus will win the third set like 6-1 again

lizchris
Sep 6th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Vneus is hitting way to manyn unforced errors on Jelena's serve. That is why she will lose the final set 6-3.