PDA

View Full Version : Is she unfit? Serious question.

SunriseSunset
Sep 5th, 2007, 02:11 AM
It might sound obvious, but every time those jealous commentators started going on about Serena's weight, I'd either press mute:mad: or think about what Serena said, that she has a big chest area and thick thighs:cool: ...

Now I'm wondering if they were right:confused: . Watching her play just now, she seemed sluggish, but at least she still tried to go for the ball most of the time. I was young when I saw her playing as a youngster, but she was smaller then, so I assumed that her body had just matured.

Is she unfit? When you answer, can you not be defensive but just honest please.

PS. I didn't post this in the main section because idiots keep going on about how she's pregnant.:rolleyes:

-VSR-
Sep 5th, 2007, 02:44 AM
I think she is not fit. Her footwork was horrendous. She's not moving as well as she even did in Miami. But she defintiely needs to get fitter and more importantly faster.

Also, she needs to believe in her groundstrokes more they were off. Her serve is not looking as sharp as it did in Australia/Miami.

StarDuvallGrant
Sep 5th, 2007, 02:56 AM
I've always been hesitant about the weight issue I think because I may have crossed it with fitness and healthy as opposed to just being skinny. She doesn't need to huff/puff but then again she also needs her laser shots as well - it's a combination I think.

venusdemilo
Sep 5th, 2007, 03:34 AM
I'm wondering about her fitness myself. She's fitter than I am for sure (lol) but is she as fit as she needs to be? Possibly not. Maybe it's a result of some nagging injury we don't know about... or perhaps her explosiveness will never be what it was before she had the knee surgery... but whatever it is, after the few exciting tiebreak points in the first set she was never the same.

doni1212
Sep 5th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Something happened between Wimbledon and USO. It wasn't the injury. Her motivation and fight just isn't there. I mean she grunted less than half the match. She didn't start grunting until like the fifth game of the first set, I noticed. She just seemed so out of character, before and after the match. At http://www.nyobserver.com/2007/live-blogging-henin-serena his 10:00 entry just made me so sad. You can't say she doesn't care, I just don't know what happened between Wimby and USO. Something else has to be wrong. I'm hoping something else is wrong. Also, I now hope Venus gets her 7th grand slam title.

doni1212
Sep 5th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Read this too, http://www.nyobserver.com/2007/serenas-meltdown

winone23
Sep 5th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Read this too, http://www.nyobserver.com/2007/serenas-meltdown

Reading that made be extremely sad, but what doesn't kill Serena will only make her stronger.

williamsluva
Sep 5th, 2007, 09:38 AM
She will never be as fast as she was before surgery, Marat has lost half a step as well since surgery, but she can get reasonably close, she really screwed herself big time by playing in 05 and 06 after that horrible ankle injury. I noticed that shes developed some bad habits from playing with bad legs, she doesnt bend her knees anymore as she used to, she just uses the upper body a hell of a lot. I know what thats like But richard and oracene have to open their eyes and see what shes doing, cos this will cause major problems, the more she does that the more her technique goes off and the more upper body problems she will have.
I thinkl shes also scared to bend her knees as much as she used to (remember how well grounded she used to be on pretty much EVERY shot), cos shes afraid of losing balance or something and then doing something, but this will only make her legs and ligaments weaker should this trend continue.
Also ur all right on the money about the footwork, her footwork hasnt been good in the last 3 years since miami this year, before that it was the aussie 05.

Shes fit as an endurance athlete, shes no where near as explosive, and that is really really bad, I dont like her train, nice chick but from their reality show shes the kind of personal trainer that a housewife whose trying to fit into a size 0 would order, she has very basic training methods and alotta wholes in her regime. They need a proper elite fitness coach (although venus is very determined and works extremley hard on fitness, its mainly serena who needs it, especially with alll these knee probs). BTW She has no excuse for hte bad movement, u can say "no match play" all u want but when u train really properly and do match practice with a hitting partner (venus or the guys), and U do agility training, u will be fast in a match (I just gotta keep goin back to venus, she is the model of the 05 venus maybe even better, and shes always been pretty damn explosive and AGILE and fit, shes only lost matches with bad concentration lapses, serena has to be compared to her).

And guys an injured left thumb doesnt mean u cant run. Im not saying shes uncommitted or something, but she hates trainin and I think that it has alot to do with improper boring endurance training type physical work that her trainer does. If i had 30 mins a day 4 days a week with her I coulda made her alot more agile around the court (im a coach, im not bigging myself up but im lettin u know there are some really effective drills that do wonders in no time).

Olórin
Sep 5th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Shes fit as an endurance athlete, shes no where near as explosive, and that is really really bad

You've hit the nail on the head. Watch the 2002 USO Final, Serena would literally sprint accross teh court. She just can't do that now. THe Serena sprint is gone!!!

Bending her knees is a problem, but she seemed to do this a lot in Miami, so I think she can when she wants to, of course her foot work was a lot better then too. I just can't believe how sloppy she was yesterday! It will take me a long time to get over the sheer SHOCK of this performance, two horrendous QF performances in one season. She just shouldn't have turned up...seriously!

SunriseSunset
Sep 5th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Williamsluva: If she hates training so much, couldn't she just do what Jankovic does? She hates it too right, so she practices within her many matches.

All I want is for Serena/Venus to return to the no1 spot, take a bow at the top, tell the haters to kiss their behinds and enjoy the rest of their lives. At this rate, it will take longer to get there, but it WILL happen.

I used to be unfit myself (5ft2, 200lbs) and one day I just decided I wasn't gonna take it anymore. Maybe Serena's wake up call has come and she'll take the necessary action. We all need a kick up the backside at some point.

Craigy
Sep 5th, 2007, 11:45 AM
She's definitely not unfit, but her fitness could be better for sure.

harloo
Sep 5th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Something happened between Wimbledon and USO. It wasn't the injury. Her motivation and fight just isn't there. I mean she grunted less than half the match. She didn't start grunting until like the fifth game of the first set, I noticed. She just seemed so out of character, before and after the match. At http://www.nyobserver.com/2007/live-blogging-henin-serena his 10:00 entry just made me so sad. You can't say she doesn't care, I just don't know what happened between Wimby and USO. Something else has to be wrong. I'm hoping something else is wrong. Also, I now hope Venus gets her 7th grand slam title.

I noticed something was wrong with Serena after her opening match. You also should check out videos of her post match interviews, she just seemed so depressed. That's when I knew Serena would lose the qtrs even though I hoped she could come out the victor. Even when she did interviews before the match it wasn't the same. It was almost like she didn't want to talk to the media.:sad:

williamsluva
Sep 9th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Williamsluva: If she hates training so much, couldn't she just do what Jankovic does? She hates it too right, so she practices within her many matches.

All I want is for Serena/Venus to return to the no1 spot, take a bow at the top, tell the haters to kiss their behinds and enjoy the rest of their lives. At this rate, it will take longer to get there, but it WILL happen.

I used to be unfit myself (5ft2, 200lbs) and one day I just decided I wasn't gonna take it anymore. Maybe Serena's wake up call has come and she'll take the necessary action. We all need a kick up the backside at some point.

Yes she could but what Janko does takes alot of travelling, Serena hasnt played 16 tournies a year since I think 97 98, not sure maybe 99 was the last time, but no the girls have tasted real life and they arent about to give it up by playing like Janko. They have lots of interests, i dont think it detracts from the tennis the way the a$$holes in the media harp on about it (Seriously can one of u guys go shoot those worthless morons Carillo and Drysdale, and anyone from england get rid of that old guy who accussed serenas box of trying to blind Vaidisova!!!!!!!!!!!!). But It does mean that they arent gonna go all out playing 20 tournaments a year (ok wait maybe that does mean it detracts from her tennis, In any case it doesnt side track serena from tennis but it just means she wont become a graf clone to make herself burn out at age 29 through injury and sheer drudgery from the tour).

Serena hates training she hates hates HATES the gym but doest it cos she has to, I know there is a better way to get to world class Olympic athlete fitness in less time than it took Serena to get to be the prime example of explosiveness in her days. There are lots of new studies in the sports science fields that have shown much more efficient workouts for strength and more cardiovascular fitness as well as agility/speed, than wat 95% of the entire tennis world is using.

The fact is, the tennis world is the most archaeic sports in terms of training techniques because its such a technical sport (ball striking technique i mean).

williamsluva
Sep 9th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Oh in my ramblings i forgot, Janko also is setting up for injury, fatigue and burn out, she wasnt exactly spectacular at Wimbledon or the uso this year... And i dont know about Australia either (although serena killed her anyway), tough campaigns at pre slam events (in particular sydney), really killed her and serena is too injury prone for that (especially with her current training methods@!!!!!)

SunriseSunset
Sep 11th, 2007, 08:22 PM
^That's what happens to people losing weight most of the time. They do boring exercises and then stop because it's boring. There must be something fun Serena can do to exercise but it's up to her to discover what it is.

PS. Thanks for responding. At Wimbledon, the commentators said the same thing about Jankovic looking tired.

matty
Sep 13th, 2007, 08:53 PM
O.K. first of all, you might not recognize "me" 'cause i never post here. I'd like nothing better than Serena and Venus to be #1 and #2. I would like them to beat Henin (a dedicated, talented, superfit woman)every time they play her. So, no, I'm not a Serena "hater". I am a realist though. She may be relatively "fit". But she's NOWHERE as fit as Justine. Yes, they have completely different body types, but that is no excuse. Serena is clearly overweight. Even for a regular (non tennis pro) person. When I gain even 5 to 7 lbs.on my 130lb frame, I totally 'slow down' and I start to feel pain in my knees.
If you carry extra weight on your body, your joints (knees, ankles etc.)are going to break down faster. She could get away with it when she was younger. Not now. Not at 26 yrs of age. Not with someone as flippin' determined as Justine. I hope she can swallow her pride, lose weight and get ferouciously dedicated once again.

sweetpeas
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:18 PM
hope she can swallow her pride, lose weight and get ferouciously dedicated once again.

That what iam hoping on to!