PDA

View Full Version : Hingis to miss US Open :(

martinafan
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Hingis to miss U.S. Open

July 12, 2002

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- Martina Hingis, still recovering from ankle surgery, will not play in the U.S. Open.

Hingis had surgery in May to repair ligaments in her left ankle and has not returned to the court. She missed the French Open and Wimbledon, and also will sit out several buildup tournaments while recovering.

Hingis, 21, has won five Grand Slam titles and reached the final of the Australian Open earlier this year, losing to Jennifer Capriati. Hingis is fourth on the money winning list.

The U.S. Open runs Aug. 26-Sept. 8 in Flushing Meadow, N.Y. The deadline to apply for the tournament is July 15.

The French Open was the first Grand Slam tournament Hingis missed since turning pro in 1994.

After the surgery, Hingis' doctor said she would need 6-to-8 weeks of rest. She also was suffering from severe pain in her feet, left knee and left hip, which forced her to stop playing or practicing.

Source:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news/ap/20020712/ap-hingis-usopen.html

martinafan
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Just posted it to show that she is indeed going to miss the US Open, unlike an earlier article, saying she was only probably going to miss it.

~*Alma*~
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:27 AM
:sad:

This is not good news, but I'm sure it's the best for her recovery :sad:

Vincent
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:35 AM
let's forget about this year.........
she is going to be in a good shape after the rehabilitation.

shirley
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Damn!

Feel so sorry for Martina. I'm not a fan but I'm missing her.
I wanted the US Open final to be between Lindsay and Martina. In my eyes they'd both be winners coming back from injuries to reach the final.

get well martina

(See you at the Oz Open 2003)

auntie janie
Jul 13th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Poor Martina! :(

TomLovesMonica
Jul 13th, 2002, 02:07 PM
I'm not a fan, but I like her and I really miss her right now because of the Williams' domination. I think next year, Martina will come back very strong and I think for the fans, it's nice to see her climbing up the ranking list again!

FP
Jul 13th, 2002, 02:41 PM
OMG :sad: it's very sad:sad: :sad: :sad:

Kart
Jul 13th, 2002, 02:58 PM
This is sad news but not really a surprise - Martina had a pretty serious injury. Recovery, rehabilitation and re-training to reach her previous level will take a long time. Better to return fully fit than sooner and risk re-injury.

LittleTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2002, 05:21 PM
:sad: I hope she's back soon.

FroggyLight
Jul 13th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Terrible news, poor Martina :sad:

Vincent
Jul 13th, 2002, 05:25 PM
a sad news, but come back with good health and without a risk of re-injury is better.
her expected absence in U.S Open make everyone disappointed
:|

Dado
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Get well soon Martina!

Daniel
Jul 14th, 2002, 01:11 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Couver
Jul 14th, 2002, 01:13 AM
Ok...wow I didn't hear anything about this. While I'm not a fan it's always nice watching Martina play, especially matches against other top players.

However her fans shouldn't get too down. I mean she has amazing results at the OZ open, and she will be well rested and healed.

lrg bllt
Jul 14th, 2002, 02:35 AM
:sad: this is sad :sad: I hope she gets better soon :)

Harju.
Jul 14th, 2002, 03:51 AM
:sad: Hingis..

ASTRID
Jul 14th, 2002, 04:07 AM
[B]

Martina Forever

get well soon :)

Williams Rulez
Jul 14th, 2002, 04:31 AM
OMG... I can't believe this... get well soon Martina!

brickhousesupporter
Jul 14th, 2002, 04:38 AM
This is very sad news. :sad: I hope that she is able to mount a full recovery so that she can be ready for the tasks that the tennis world has made for her.

RockSteady
Jul 14th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Like Davenport, this lay-off should give her time to work on those wheels. Hopefully she will come back faster then ever, because it is hard to be slow and beat players who hit the ball sideline to sideline at great speeds.

I hope she shows desire when she comes back! It would be great to see her catch everyone off-guard and win her first few tournaments back...:drool:

Get well soon Martina. Although its not like I didn't see this coming. An injury doesn't suddenly go from career-threatening to fine in two months.

King Aaron
Jul 14th, 2002, 10:09 AM
:sad: :sad:

bello
Jul 14th, 2002, 10:27 AM
well, in 2003 she wont have much points to defend except for at the star so she will hopefully have a great year rankings wise!!