PDA

View Full Version : Williams Sisters Advance to US Open Quarter-Finals

SerenaSlams
Sep 2nd, 2007, 11:22 PM
eurosport.yahoo.com
Sun 02 Sep, 10:58 PM

NEW YORK (AFP) - Reigning Grand Slam champion sisters Venus and Serena Williams advanced to the US Open quarter-finals in impressive style Sunday, moving closer to a possible all-Williams semi-final showdown.

Reigning Wimbledon champion Venus Williams overwhelmed Serbian fifth seed Ana Ivanovic 6-4, 6-2 in a rematch of their Wimbledon semi-final while Australian Open champion Serena defeated French 10th seed Marion Bartoli 6-3, 6-4.

Younger sibling Serena, the eighth seed, next faces the winner of a night match between world number one Justine Henin and Russian 15th seed Dinara Safina. Henin beat Serena in the French Open and Wimbledon quarter-finals.

Henin has a winning record against all top-20 foes except the Williamses, going 5-6 against Serena and 1-7 against Venus.

"We love to play each other in the quarter-finals of a Grand Slam," Serena said. "Hopefully this time I can win one."

US 12th seed Venus Williams, a six-time Grand Slam champion, will next play the winner of a later match between Serbian third seed Jelena Jankovic and Austrian 19th seed Sybille Bammer.

Should the Williamses make their semi-final a family affair, it would be their deepest meeting in any event since Serena beat Venus in the 2003 Wimbledon final.

"That would be very exciting," Venus said. "We each have one more step. But that way we would have a Williams in the final."

Venus saved three break points in the second game of her match then capitalized on her first break chance, taking a 3-2 lead when Ivanovic sent a forehand volley wide, and held serve from there to claim the first set.

Venus broke to start the second set, took a 4-1 lead when the 19-year-old Serb double faulted away another break and held serve twice at love to advance in 80 minutes, improving to 4-0 against the humbled French Open runner-up.

"I knew I had to play well because she's so very good," Venus said. "I was very fortunate to get the important points."

Eight-time Grand Slam winner Serena, who did not play tuneup events between Wimbledon and the US Open due to a sprained left thumb ligament, became the only woman to reach the quarter-finals in all four Grand Slams this year.

The reigning Australian Open champion fired 10 aces, connecting on 33 of 44 first serves, and made 32 winners against 22 unforced errors to eliminate the Wimbledon runner-up in 76 minutes in a confidence-boosting triumph.

"It's really up there. A couple weeks ago I wasn't sure I was even going to be here," she said.

"My serve was a lot better than it was in the previous matches," Serena said. "Each match I feel like I've gotten better. I'm still not anywhere near where I want to be but I'm better than where I was."

Serena, who beat Bartoli in their only prior meeting at a 2003 Miami quarter-final, surrendered a break to the Frenchwoman to open the match, but broke back on a Bartoli double fault to 2-2.

"I thought I started out well but it just didn't go the way I planned," said Serena. "But it worked out pretty good I guess."

But Serena improved her serve and dominated thereafter to stun the Wimbledon runner-up.

"Her serve, I just almost couldn't return it. I couldn't even see it," said Bartoli. "When you play like somebody serving this well it's hard to win.

"She just elevates her game when she needs to. She's not trying her hardest on every point. She plays some great shots when she needs to."

Simply Stunning, Simply Serena
:worship: 57 Consecutive Weeks as World #1 :worship:
:worship: Olympic Gold Medalist ('00 Doubles w/ Venus) :worship:

sweetpeas
Sep 3rd, 2007, 01:14 AM
WOW..........I like that!!!Go my SISTERS.....................