PDA

View Full Version : WTA sez: Our Girls passed Drug Tests (they got a 65)

Gumbycat
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:24 PM
WTA rejects claims doping is rife
Posted: Friday July 12, 2002 4:13 PM

ST. PETERSBURG, Florida (AP) -- The governing body of women's tennis on Friday rejected claims by a top Australian doping official that use of performance-enhancing substances is rife in professional tennis and anti-doping programs are ineffective.

"We categorically reject the claim that the success or physical condition of women's tennis players today is proof of rampant drug use," the WTA said in a statement. "In 2001, several hundred anti-doping tests were carried out on more than 140 different players at various tournaments and we are proud but not surprised by the fact that no anti-doping offenses were committed."

Australian Sports Drug Agency (ASDA) chief executive John Mendoza told The Australian newspaper that tennis authorities were living in a "fool's paradise" if they didn't recognize doping was widespread in the sport.

"Tennis is heavily under the influence of doping and (tennis authorities) are in denial if they don't accept that," Mendoza was quoted as saying in Friday's edition.

Mendoza said the problem was particularly prevalent in the women's game, where players needed to be "abnormal in body physique" to have any chance of reaching No. 1.

His comments came in the wake of an announcement last week that out-of-competition drug testing would be introduced on the women's tour -- a move opposed by leading players Venus Williams and Jennifer Capriati.

The WTA called Mendoza's remarks "irresponsible and damaging" and questioned the validity of ASDA's objectives.

"We will not tolerate remarks like Mendoza's and anxiously await the retraction and apology we have demanded from ASDA," the statement said.

Dawn Marie
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:28 PM
Welll I am STILL waiting on the (WTA to sez) or speak up about all the slander that Venus and Serena are getting their way. The WTA needs to speak up and defend the very people they are supposed to protect. Hell I am still waiting on my e-mail about this issue. 5 days and countining.:)

Gumbycat
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:32 PM
Right On Dawn :)

Williams Rulez
Jul 13th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Well, finally... a response.

Crazy Canuck
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:13 AM
How about all the slander that Jenn gets on this issue? You aren't so quick to make mention of her :confused:

joneg2
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Dawn Marie
Welll I am STILL waiting on the (WTA to sez) or speak up about all the slander that Venus and Serena are getting their way. The WTA needs to speak up and defend the very people they are supposed to protect. Hell I am still waiting on my e-mail about this issue. 5 days and countining.:)

Don't hold your breath!

Six days and counting... :eek:

BrianII
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Nothing was said when jennifer become no1 ...may be a few posters on various boards etc largely irrelevent....but not the media or whatshisface mendo-whatever.........nothing was said while Venus and Jennifer were duking it out for No1 .....now the williams sisters are 1 and 2 all of a sudden these allegations surface .....wow what perfect timing couldn't be better .

CappyMania
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:28 AM
"In 2001, several hundred anti-doping tests were carried out on more than 140 different players at various tournaments and we are proud but not surprised by the fact that no anti-doping offenses were committed."

When those "several hundred" tests are done by WADA then I believe the tests are actually done and especially that no one is hiding any positive test results.

gopher
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:32 AM
It is obvious that the WTA which is a US-controlled and as such solely money-driven body heavily denies such allegations, by way of their CEO.

Jean-Marie Leblanc, head of the TDF, did so as well, before the big scandals broke out at the Tour De France.

But of course, who dares questioning the integrity of American CEO's these days ? :rolleyes:

The WTA would already do itself a favour by starting to release the names of those who have been found out positive during last year and this year's Roland Garros.

vertiklychalengd
Jul 13th, 2002, 12:12 PM
i'm surprised natalie tauziat's name wasnt mentioned in the article

CappyMania
Jul 13th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by gopher
It is obvious that the WTA which is a US-controlled and as such solely money-driven body heavily denies such allegations, by way of their CEO.

Is there anything in this world which is not controlled by US? :)

Nimi
Jul 13th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by CappyMania

Is there anything in this world which is not controlled by US? :)

Kongo

harloo
Jul 13th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by BrianII
Nothing was said when jennifer become no1 ...may be a few posters on various boards etc largely irrelevent....but not the media or whatshisface mendo-whatever.........nothing was said while Venus and Jennifer were duking it out for No1 .....now the williams sisters are 1 and 2 all of a sudden these allegations surface .....wow what perfect timing couldn't be better .

I agree Brian, it's ironic isn't it? This man could of came out and said this when Jen got in shape and started winning slams, but he chose to do it when Serena started winning, and the sister's became #1 and #2. It's no coincidence why he did this, because he knew exactly what he was doing. Accusing Serena and Venus of doping was done maliciously to diminish their accomplishments. His accusations were not based on evidence but pure speculation. He should apologize to the WTA, ATP, Fed Cup, and Davis Cup. He has cast a negative imagery over tennis in general and should be released from his position. Allegations such as these which are unfounded and baseless are seriously damaging to tennis. Mendoza making statements without proof is an indication of his personal bias, and for that he should be fired.

Ryan
Jul 13th, 2002, 05:19 PM
i'm surprised natalie tauziat's name wasnt mentioned in the article

Why?

Dawn Marie
Jul 13th, 2002, 07:12 PM
And ironic enough but I think Jen and Meghan Shaugnessy are two players who dope themselves up. I mean they IMHO have that "roid chest".

Becca, Jennifer didn't get any slanderous comments from other players and media folks when her ass won 3 slams. This example of bias was mentioned above. Personally I don't even know why you felt the need to ask me this question?? Anyway focus on Martina and her broke down body. and second and first serves.

selesfan
Jul 13th, 2002, 07:23 PM
I also find it odd that these comments are coming out now that the Williams sisters are #1 and #2. Actually, I think Serena looked more muscular when she first joined the tour. I didn't hear the media come out with this when Jen was #1. And Dawn is right most women on steroids do not have breasts like Serena's.

CappyMania
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Dawn Marie
And ironic enough but I think Jen and Meghan Shaugnessy are two players who dope themselves up. I mean they IMHO have that "roid chest".

Becca, Jennifer didn't get any slanderous comments from other players and media folks when her ass won 3 slams. This example of bias was mentioned above. Personally I don't even know why you felt the need to ask me this question?? Anyway focus on Martina and her broke down body. and second and first serves.

"Roid chest"? LOL! I guess Amanda Peet, Brooke Shields, Gabrielle Anwar, Andrea Corr, Jennifer Lopez, Dina Meyer, Juliette Lewis etc. and +100 women who do visit on this board have a "roid chest"...........

IMHO you're an idiot!

TeeRexx
Jul 13th, 2002, 09:33 PM
Some characteristics of "roid" users:

1. Sometimes slurred, incoherent or mumbly speech
2. Excessive "you knows" in speaking.
3. Overly aggressive: Uncontrolled outburst of anger and profanity
4. Small cup size (in male and females) :eek:
5. Usually a history of drug abuse, use or other criminal activities.

:angel:

CappyMania
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by TeeRexx

It's either you or Venus. :D

Back to business!

1. BS!
2. BS!
3. Not seen any in tennis after John McEnroe. I guess you've not seen what real ROID RAGE means.
4. Brooke Shields on roids (or Venus).
5. I personally know few juicers and your claims doesn't fit.

VS Fan
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:30 PM
Yeah, TeeRexx, If Serena is on "roids" now it is a blessing. because she would have fallen over from the weight, had she not started using!!

Just kidding!!

Women who use steriods extensiviely, quickly lose their feminine charactistics. Just watch some of the "female bodybuilding" shows that are on cable sometimes.

They have chests that look like men's, and bras that cover esscentially NOTHING.

Serena and Venus do NOT fall into this catagory!!

A couple of players might be suspect, though!!

CappyMania
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by VS Fan
Yeah, TeeRexx, If Serena is on "roids" now it is a blessing. because she would have fallen over from the weight, had she not started using!!

Just kidding!!

Women who use steriods extensiviely, quickly lose their feminine charactistics. Just watch some of the "female bodybuilding" shows that are on cable sometimes.

They have chests that look like men's, and bras that cover esscentially NOTHING.

Serena and Venus do NOT fall into this catagory!!

A couple of players might be suspect, though!!

I say this ONE MORE TIME!!!!!!! Anna Kournikova could be the only player who's on roids. It's not about chest or muscle size. It could be the most feminine player who's on roids.

Of course Anna Kournikova would slowly change to be a Andrei Kournikova. :D

CappyMania
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:49 PM
Anna after 10 years of heavy drug use. :D

http://digilander.libero.it/acquarius27/Kim%20Chizevsky/Kim%20Chizevsky%2007.jpg

venusfan
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by TeeRexx

LOL :):):):):):)

Shane54
Jul 14th, 2002, 12:15 AM
While I sympathize with Williams fans that this guy is an ass to say the things he does about women's tennis especially now that Venus and Serena are #1, which is totally unfair to the sisters. I believe they are clean and are just blessed with great speed, and athletic ability.
However, I think it is most unfortunate that some Williams fans are bashing Jennifer now and making nasty comments. She had nothing to do with this. And remember, when Tauziat came out with her book, some of the same posters were slandering the hell out of Jennifer. Yet, they thought that was fair.

I believe there should be fairness to ALL players until proof is found and that goes for Jenn, Venus, Serena and Meghann...

Let' s get mad at the author of the article not players we dislike.

Althea
Jul 14th, 2002, 12:38 AM
True Shane54 re your

" believe there should be fairness to ALL players until proof is found and that goes for Jenn, Venus, Serena and Meghann... (Anna *added by Althea*)

Let' s get mad at the author of the article not players we dislike.

Couver
Jul 14th, 2002, 12:40 AM
Well Dawn, I'm glad you wrote to them. But knowing the WTA you'll never get a response. Maybe after Venus & Serena retire, they are really bad with stuff like that.

In regards to Jennifer. The media very rarerly say anything about her. It was people on this board that were saying slanderous things about her and possible doping. (I disagree by the way, she just looks fit to me, nothing else).

The media was actually very kind the Jennifer, since her return. In fact they only criticized her for her Fed Cup behavior.

Never did they go on and on about how someone must compete with her OR ELSE!! And oddly Chris Evert, Pam Shriver, etc were more than happy if Jennifer went for the Grand Slam. Now correct me if I'm wrong but....isn't Serena's winning two GS horrible? It's killing tennis ladies and gentlmen (sarcasm). But no one needed to stop Jennifer from possibly winning all four last year? If so no one in the media was as vocal about it.

Blaming Venus & Serena and Jennifer for doping because they are winning is pathetic. I as said before it's usually lower ranked players who have less to loose and more to gain.

But I'm with Dawn, Venus & Serena get a raw deal from the press. It's praise one day and then 'Oh we must stop them' the next.

Shane54
Jul 14th, 2002, 12:44 AM
I agree with Lunamoon. It is very unfair for the sisters.

Couver
Jul 14th, 2002, 12:49 AM
Actually I have to apologize. And say I'm not attacking Jennifer, rather the media. It's not her fault how anyone gets treated. It's the press and the tennis commentators in general. There biases are GLARINGLY obvious.

hantuchova_rulez
Jul 14th, 2002, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Shane54
I agree with Lunamoon. It is very unfair for the sisters.

Yeah, IMHO, I can only see one reason why they get such a grilling off the media and other people too. [maybe] It's because of their background/race. Why else?

(I don't mean to stir up controversy here)

Williams Rulez
Jul 14th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Sigh... I highly doubt the top players would dope... I mean, imagine how much they would lose if they were caught. They wouldn't even gain much from drug use, hence I doubt they would take such an unnecessary risk.