PDA

View Full Version : I met Maria Sharapova yesterday at a WTT match. And she was so nice!

the cat
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:29 PM
It had been several years since I went to a professional tennis match. The last time I went, Stefan Edberg was still playing.

On the spur of the moment, I took the long drive out to Amagansett, Long Island yesterday, to wach the Delaware Smash take on the New York Hamptons. And even though it took me 2 hours to drive out there, I still got there plenty early. The place was nearly empty. I bought my $30 Lodge ticket and looked around for a friend that never showed. Then I started to browse around the Amagansett East Side Tennis Club.

Then I went to the patio to relax. And low and behold a couple of tennis players started milling around. And then out of the blue, comes Maria Sharapova in a white t-shirt, red shorts and baby blue Nike sneakers. Then she disapperared for a few minutes. I went out to my car to get my Sharpie magic marker, just in case she signs autographs. So I go back to the patio and wait.

And she she comes again. With all the terrible publicity about tennis fans recently, I was worried about making sure I approached Maria in the right way, and not alarming or startling her. I was probably about 15 feet away from her when I politely asked her if she could sign something for me. She smiled and said something. I was nervous. So I can't really remember what she said. But I assume it was "yes". And when Maria smiled, she had the aura of a movie star! :D In fact, when I saw her yesterday by the patio walking towards me, this Russian reminded me of a typical Florida or California girl with a tan! ;)

I hoped to get Maria to sign an autograph for a good friend of mine in Vancouver. WTA World knows her as Sharky (Sue). So I had printed up a couple photos of Maria from the internet, just in case I ran into her. I had the photos in a manila folder. And I showed her the first one. She was very nice and seemed interested in the photos! :) So she signed a couple. Then to my astonishment, Maria asked me if she could keep one of the photos! :eek: I told her that was my favorite photo of her. But she wanted it. So how could I say nyet to her? I couldn't. Then I remembered to ask Maria to personalize an autograph for Sue (Sharky). And she did. "To Sue, Best Wishes, Maria Sharapova". But I was a little flustered at her wanting one of the photos, causing my train of thought to be de-railed! So I forgot to ask her to personalize an autograph for me! LOL! But not Sue! Then while Maria was on her way to the practice court about 100 yards away, she asked me where I got the photo. I told her Kournikovadotcom.com. The beautiful photo Maria took is located at www.kournikovadotcom.com/mtp-pages/sharapova-pages/mtp-sharapova-029.html

While Maria was signing, I asked her how she was doing. She said fine. But I could tell she was very tired. She nearly fell into me walking on the lumpy gravel! And Maria played like she was tired. She showed flashes of brilliance and devastaing shotmaking ability! But the fatigue kicked in. Maria, who plays for the Delaware Smash, lost alot of tough games to Katarina Srebotnik of the New York Hamptons. Maria was just in London for the Wimbledon Girls final on sunday July 7th. Then she flew to delaware to play the WTT opener for the Delaware Smash on July 9th. Then she was playing in Hartford on July 10th. And Amagansett, Long island on July 11th. It's no wonder Maria is so tired. That schedule would even be tough for Superman! :eek: I hope Maria can get a couple of days off very soon. I only hope she stays injury free! :D

I took some photos of Maria practicing and playing, too. And one of Patrick McEnroe as well. But I'm a stiff with a Camera. Especially this Samsung EX! camera. It seems complicated. I only hope I got a few good photos.

The atmosphere at World Team Tennis is alot of fun. And noisey, too! ;)

In a day an age of ego maniacal self centered athletes, it was an absolute pleasure meeting Maria Sharapova. Maria took the time to make me feel special! She was gracious and nice! :angel:

I'm glad I took the time to go out to Amagansett. This was probably the only time I'll get to see or Maria in a low key setting. I doubt she will play WTT next year. And I don't think there are any Challengers in the New York area that Maria will play.

After Maria went to warm up, I didn't want to follow her. So I climbed up the bleachers and started talking to a man I thought was a New York Hamptons or WTT. It turns out he was Maria Sharapova's IMG agent, Max Eisenbud. He was very nice. And to my surprise we had about an hour long conversation.

Max reads WTA World and knows who the cat and Sharky are! :eek: He remembers a couple of threads about Maria Sharapova, her citizenship and the USTA. If i recall correctly I started those threads! ;) Max said he thinks Maria will remain a Russian citizen.

And here are a few other tidbits of information Max gave me.

- The big scoop which no one is supposed to know about, is that Maria will take a Wild Card at the tournamnent in japan, shortly after the U.S. Open.

- Maria will be done with the juniors after the junior U.S. open.

- Maria will not play the Ladies Kremlin Cup this year because she is not ready to play the big girls indoors.

- Max thought Maria Kirilenko was a fighter and a great shotmaker. He said she could be a great player someday.

- He said Maria went to the Wimbledon's Champions Ball, even thouhgt she was beaten in the final. But there was no dancing at the Ball! :eek: I thought that was a tradition!

- He also seemed unsure when I asked him about Maria playing on the Russian Fed Cup team in the future. But he seemed more positive about Maria wanting to play on the Russian Tennis Olympic team. But I doubt she would be put on the Olympic team if she doesn't play Fed Cup for Russia.

- If Maria loses early at a tournament, she doesn't get to do magazine interviews and the like. And I agree with that. She has to think about the loss. And she shouldn't be rewarded for it. That was a mistake IMG and Octagon made with Anna Kournikova. She would lose a match a go talk to Fashion magazines! That was reported on ESPN's Sport Century profile of Anna Kournikova. I'm glad that IMG makes Maria think about an early round loss by not rewarding her with magazine interviews and photo shoots. There is a time and a place for everything. Including photo shoots and magazine interviews and articles. But the time and place is not right after a loss.

I enjoyed meeting Max Eisenbud and talking with him for a long time. He called me a good fan of Maria's, too!

Then Maria's father Yuri joined us on the bleachers. Then Maria joined us, too. And she was in her Delaware Smash outfit. A white top and a black skirt. She sat at the bottom of the bleachers, and would occasionally look up at us. I thanked her for signing and showed her the Maria Sharapova post card Max had given me. She seemd tired to me. And it showed in her play. But there are other days ahead for Maria Sharapova. And alot of great days, too! :bounce:

Even though she was tired, Maria served a powerful up the tee serve reminiscent of Venus Williams! Maria really climed all over that serve!

From Major League Baseball, the late Ted Williams of the Boston Red Sox, was known as the "Splendid Splinter", beacause he was a great hitter and he was very slender. Well, the sports world has a new "Splendid Splinter"! :D And her name is Maria Sharapova. Like Ted Williams when he played, Maria is a great hitter and very slender! :) And when Maria puts on another 15 pounds and gets her legs under her, women's tennis better watch out! :eek:

Freefall
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:34 PM
That's VERY COOL!! :)

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:38 PM
thanx cat, so glad it was all worth it for you.

thanx for all the other tit-bits ........ not really suprised with it that much.

As for her not getting a WC at Moscow ..... Octagon would give WC's to their own players first.

Jem
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:41 PM
Superb report, Cat. Thanks for sharing it and good luck to Maria Sharapova!

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:51 PM
Maria will be a big star :)

IMG got to get things right with her where they went wrong with Anna.

Its always easier 2nd time around.
Japan event is the Princess Cup and should be pretty good.

Like i said previously i never doubted her whether she would stay Russian, after meeting her in Melbourne i always knew she would.
tenn_ace likewise said the same when he met her at last years US Open.

the cat
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Thanks Freefall, TBE and Jem! :wavey:

Eggy, nothing surprised you? Not even the WC into the tournamnet in Japan? Or the fact that Maria won't be playing the juniors after this year?

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:55 PM
both ...... Maria would be wasting her time in juniors next year.
I'm pretty sure Vera D will also finish if she claims #1 spot.

Maria likes playing in Japan, they'll be glad to have her on board.

Freefall
Jul 12th, 2002, 09:05 PM
Maria is only 15 now. She won't be 16 until the middle of next year. If she doesn't play Jr. events, will she play all WTA?

The age restriction rules would seem to keep her out of most things though.

If she is going to play WTA tournaments. How many can she play in at age 15?

Also, if she's turning 16 in the middle of the year, do they count her as 15 or 16 next year?

auntie janie
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:01 PM
They count the 12 months birthday-to-birthday.

Great report, cat! I am so happy for you. Thanks for sharing your story with us. So it looks like we won't be getting any photo shoots of "Maria's Trip to the Zoo" if she loses in the first round of a Slam? ;) That's very wise.

One correction, though, cat: Superman NEVER gets tired. Unless he is near some Kryptonite. ;)

the cat
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Thanks Janie! :wavey: I'm glad you're back from England. I hope you had a great trip! :D

And you're right about Superman! ;)

Freefall, I'm with you about Maria not playing the juniors next year. But her agent told me that she could play 10 WTA tournaments, plus the four grand slam tournamnets if her ranking is high enough. But her ranking most likely won't be high enough to for her to get directly into the 2003 Australian Open.

Freefall
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:29 PM
Good, I was hoping they did it B-day to B-day.

I think Maria/other players should stay in juniors & maybe play a few pro events until they're 17. Then at 17 go pro or later. It seems like over 2 years is a long time to be stuck on tour & not be able to play a full season. But that's just my opinion & I could be wrong :)

Meesh
Jul 12th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the report. I wish WTT would come further south!

salima
Jul 12th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Thank you Cat, good reading !
I guess you live a ong time on this.

Greenout
Jul 13th, 2002, 12:56 AM
Super story.

I'm so glad to read another ancedote about
a friendly up and coming tennis daredevil. In
this day and age of accusations among the tennis
elite it's good to know not everyone believes their
own hype.

Come on Maria!!

the cat
Jul 13th, 2002, 01:32 AM
Thanks Meesh, Salima and Greenout! :wavey: Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

And Greenout, I like the way you refer to maria as an up and coming tennis daredevil!

Meesh, I hope WTT comes further South for you, too. Florida is a hotbed for tennis. So WTT staying out of Florida is perplexing. Unless WTT is worried about tennis overkill in Florida!

I have to say that being a fan of the Russian tennis players has left me frustrated and hungry for wins. :( Especially where the Russiam women are concerned. As a tennis fan, and as a Russian tennis fan, I have not had alot of of good times the last ten years. But there have been a few great moments. But I can recall only five! Such as Stefan Edberg winning the 1992 U.S. Open and in the process so heroically defended his title. Yevgeny Kafelnikov winning the 1996 French Open title was very big, too. Because he became the first Russian man or woman to win a grand slam singles title. and that made his accomplishment historic. Marat Safin winning the 2000 U.S. Open was a great moment as a fan for me as well. As was Yevegeny Kafelnikov winning the gold medal at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney. And meeting Maria Sharapova on Thursday was another great moment! As a person and a big star in the making, Maria even surpassed my expectations of her! :D Those are my five great moments as a tennis fan the last ten years. Now if Russia wins the Davis Cup this year, then that will be the sixth great moment for me as a tennis fan the past ten years. I just hope the great moments for me as a tennis fan in the near future aren't as few and far between as they have been over the past ten years! :eek: The Russian women have been coming for a while now. Let's hope they finally show up and start winning big! :bounce:

gokimmie
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:12 AM
wow,what a great day for you!
Good luck to Maria!:wavey:

tennischick
Jul 13th, 2002, 12:32 PM
i know that you were thrilled Cat and i am happy 4 U :) :)

the cat
Jul 13th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Thanks gokimmie and tennischick! :wavey:

Even though Maria was exhausted from all the travelling and matches recently, she served an ace up the tee to Katarina Srebotnik that reminded me of a Venus Williams ace up the tee! :D She climbed all over that serve just the way Venus does! Maria must have hit that serve about 120 mph! :eek: I kid you not! Well, maybe it was only about 110 mph. But that's still great! :bounce: And just wait until she adds some weight! :eek: Maria will have an excellent serve then! :)

I had heard alot about Maria's loud grunting before I went to see her play on Thursday. But her grunts sounded normal to me. And that may have been because she was tired. But her grunts, according to my ears, are not as loud as Serena Williams or Monica Seles grunts.

I also said hi to Patrick McEnroe on Thursday while he was practicing. He coaches the New York Hamptons. He is such a nice guy. :D I told Patrick that I missed hearing him report sports on the Imus In The Morning Radio Show. :( And I told him I thought the U.S. team would be playing Russia in the 2002 Davis Cup final in Moscow. As for choosing a team for the finals, he said he would worry about that when the time comes. And that's a very fair answer.

And the 1,294 seat capacity for the Amagansett East Side Tennis Club created a cozy and friendly atmosphere! :D

joneg2
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Wow...great story...great post. Thanks and good luck to her! Btw, she is a cutie too!:wavey:

Vincent
Jul 13th, 2002, 04:01 PM
what a great report.
nice job, good luck to her.

adlysha babalu
Jul 13th, 2002, 04:34 PM
great post..enjoy reading it..

all the best to maria..

mn73
Jul 13th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Wow! What a day - you are so lucky.

Max Eisenbud is a really nice guy. He wrote me an e-mail about one day after my Maria Sharapova WebSite was up and running saying how nice it was and how good it was to see that Maria had good fans.

He told me Maria would not play any more junior events, and if she did it would only be the US Open - he told me that during Wimbledon, but I thought I had better not blab it all around!!! Unlike The Cat!!! :)

Glad you had a nice day, Maria and her people sound really nice.

mn73
Jul 13th, 2002, 06:21 PM
And WHY AREN'T YOU POSTING THIS AT THE MARIA WEBBOARD - http://pub80.ezboard.com/bmoniquevielewebboard19763 - please try registering again. I am hardly getting any visitors and will have to reconsider the Maria board if I am just talking to myself!!!

fresh2flash
Jul 13th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Cunning Cat ;) Lovely report. I envy you a bit :)

the cat
Jul 13th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Thanks joneg2, ferrero, adlysha babalu, Mark Newman and fresh2flash! :wavey:

Mark, I'm a blabbermouth? :confused: What, is the KGB going to come after me now for letting the cat out of the bag? ;) This isn't top secret information. Dinara Safina stopped playing the juniors all of a sudden. So can Maria. And she will. Let's hope that just concentrating on the pro's will get Maria mentally prepared for the tour.

I'll be at your Maria message board soon Mark! :D Hold your horses! ;)

Bella
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Anna was 21 when she promoted the zoo. Who should say "You can't go on the scheduled promotion because you lost" to a 21-year old?

Do these managers play the part of parent? 'You lose your match, you lose your privileges' sounds like too much pressure to win even if it is the parents rules. If it was 'You didn't really try hard in practice and you made the decision to go for this career, so no pain, no gain' then I would understand. But, 'you lost, go to your room and think about it' sounds bad.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Maria's rank will be pretty good by Next years French cut-off so long as she plays some ITF events as well as some WTA events and does good in them
I know she will.

That would give her the added SLAM Bonus in addition to her restriced ( 8 until April 19) 10 events there after until she is 17.

Photo-Shoots for mags and other Fashion stuff should come as an additional third or 4th on her priority list.
after her tennis/family and off court training.

Jessi
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:49 PM
Lovely report, the cat! Enjoyed it thoroughly:D Thanks for sharing it with us:wavey:

carot
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Oh, nice to read this! :)

FroggyLight
Jul 13th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the report, good luck to Maria.

the cat
Jul 14th, 2002, 03:03 AM
Bella, TBE, Jessi, carot and FroggyLight, thank you for checking in! And Eggy, thank you so much for four visits!

Bella, you are making too much out of what happens to Maria when she loses early in a junior tournamnet. Her agent Max Eisenbud said that when Maria loses early at a junior tournament, the publicity should go to the girl who wins the tournament. And that's fair. Atleast IMG is making Maria understand the difference between winning and losing. If you lose, you don't deserve the attention. If you win, you deserve the attention.

Max told me that they are trying to limit Maria's exposure and endorsements. He said IMG turns down about 9 out of every 10 endorsement offers that come Maria's way. And I think that's a very wise strategy. :)

And Maria managed to find the time to go home to Sochi, Russia this summer, too. That's a good way for the "Russian Lynx" to stay connected to her Russian roots!

In her match against Katarina Srebotnik on thursday, Maria struggled, but she did have moments of brilliant shotmaking! Including a beautiful backhand lob! It's nice to know Maria can play defense, too!

Coast to coast! Maria's agent also said that Maria spends about 13 weeks a year training at Nick Bollettieri's Tennis Academy in Florida, and about 17 weeks a year training with Robert Lansdorp at the Bay South Tennis Center in California. I hope Maria is getting the best of both worlds! :bounce:

In good hands! I have to say that it seems Maria Sharapova's career is in good hands! :D IMG seems to have a game plan to take Maria to the top step by step. And Maria has always had top notch coaches and mentors along the way! Coaches like Nick Bollettieri, Robert Lansdorp and now Craig Cardon, her coach with the Delaware Smash. And mentors like Tracy Austin and now Billie Jean King, who owns the Delaware Smash, and is a big believer in Maria's tennis abilities. I just hope with great coaches and mentors like these, that some of their experience and greatness meshes with Maria's great talent, and creates a great tennis player! :bounce:

Steam
Jul 14th, 2002, 03:27 AM
Nice story cat. Hopefully, you didn't call her "Russian Lynx" to her face. You would have gotten the rolleyes smilie in person.

~SunFlower~
Jul 14th, 2002, 04:56 AM
What a report, Cat! :bounce: Thanks so much for sharing it with us. :wavey: Glad you had guts and made an effort to go out and watch her because I know you are a devoted Maria Sharapova fan. Cheers to you! Glad you had a wonderful conversation with Max for a while. It's always great to get more information from the players's agents. LOL! :bounce:

Hopefully, Max will be able to send Maria's upcoming schedule to Mark Newman's Sharapova website in the near future. Maybe not right now. So, like other fans, we, hard-core Sharapova fans are desperated to know when and where she is going to play next. That's because we want to root for Maria all the way to the top!! :) :)

Mark Newman, I am glad that Max took a few mins of his time to e-mail you that he appreciates your work of setting up a website for Maria. A well-deserved e-mail you got, Mark. :D That's very nice of Max. Thanks to you, Max! :wavey:

Cat, can you tell me what Maria's strengths and weakness in her game that you watched?

Now it's my turn to see her in person. :p The most important thing is I want to enjoy watching her practice sessions and compeitive matches in Vancouver at the end of this month. The event is a low key atomsphere too (I am sure) and not very many seats there anyway. Come on Maria, you CAN win the title for me, Cat, Eggy, your agent Max, your parents, and of course yourself! I very much look forward to going and watch Maria. Cat, I am not like you but don't ask me for Maria's autographs! I am not (and never was) the type to rush for autographs. Sorry! I am too old for that! I wish I am at Maria's age now! LOL! Of course, I will accept the personalized autograph that you got it for me. Very thoughtful of you. Thank you. :kiss:

Go Maria, you have no fear and keeping winning! ;)

If Maria wins the Vancouver title and I think she WILL!!! :) , her ranking will move up to about no. 320 to 340. Whoo HOO!

Eggy, there are 2 WTA Japan events after US Open. Maybe Cat was referring to AIG Japan Open being held at the end of September. It's a lower Tier tournament than Princess Cup tournament. She would have a better chance to go further in the draw. Cat, did Max say which one? :confused:

Cat, did you ask Max if Maria is going to go to the junior Canadian Open, the week before junior US Open? I hope she goes there to prepare for her last junior US Open.

It doesn't matter whether she is going to be junior No.1 or not at the end of this year. She would have been No.1 now if she won junior Aussie Open and junior Wimbledon. She came very close though. Maybe winning junior US Open would be her third luck charm. You can do it, Maria! I would like to see Maria in the top 5 in the junior 2002 year-end rankings. I think it's good enough because Maria would be able to recieve junior exempt status to play in the main draw in the 25-75K ITF events next year whatever she likes to choose.

I am not surprised that Maria will be done with juniors . I was expecting that she would be done with juniors at the end of this year. So, she will be done with the juniors a bit earlier than I expected. Like Kournikova, Safina, Dokic and Lina K. were finished with juniors at the end of year at Maria's age. Otherwise she would be wasting her BIG time as Eggy said. :)

Let's go, Maria! Go! Maria! Go! :bounce:

~SunFlower~
Jul 14th, 2002, 05:24 AM
The year-end number 1 ranked girls’ singles player will be offered direct entry into the main draw at three (3) ITF Women’s Circuit events up to and including $75,000 prize-money level.

The year-end number 2 ranked girls’ singles player will be offered direct entry into the main draw at two (2) ITF Women’s Circuit events up to and including $75,000 prize-money level and direct entry into the main draw at one (1) ITF Women’s Circuit
event up to and including $50,000 prize-money level.

The year-end number 3-5 ranked girls’ singles players will be offered direct entry into the main draw at two (2) ITF Women’s Circuit events up to and including $50,000 prize-money level and direct entry into the main draw at one (1) ITF Women’s Circuit event up to and including $25,000.

The year-end number 6-10 ranked girls’ singles players will be offered direct entry into the main draw at three (3) ITF Women’s Circuit events up to and including $25,000 prize-money level.

Let's hope Maria will be in the top 5 in the year-end ranking. :bounce:

TS
Jul 14th, 2002, 05:27 AM
tx cat :) What a great read!!

Krasnoroutskaya
Jul 14th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the story and the link to the funny pictures. I've never seen anyone so intensely happy after victory. Nice!

babsi
Jul 14th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the great story, she seems to have her head screwed on straight which is great to see!

I can't wait to see her playing pro tournaments and moving up the rankings as it is great to watch it all unfold.

the cat
Jul 14th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Hello to Steam, Sharky, Iva's #1 Fan, Krasnoroutskaya and babsi! :wavey:

Steam, no I didn't call her the "Russian Lynx" to her face! :eek: And I doubt she would have rolled her eyes at me anyway! Maria seems to have a great temperment and is very patient! :angel:

Sharky, i'm glad you liked my report. And I'm glad you finally made it here! :D Better late than never! ;)

Sharky, it's hard to tell what Maria's strengths are at the moment. She is obviously very tired. And it showed in her play on thursday. But she did show flashes of brilliance! :) I would say Maria's strengths are her precise and powerful groudstrokes. And her first serve is pretty good right now! And that pretty good first serve of Maria's should turn into a very good first serve in a couple of years! And once Maria gets those long legs of hers going, she has very good court coverage!
Her weaknesses are her first step and her still growing physique. But give Maria another two years, and she'll have stronger legs, and thus a good first step, and tremendous tennis physique. Another 15 pounds on Maria's frame would do wonders for her! :D

Sharky, I didn't rush up to Maria and ask for an autograph. I very calmly and politely asked her if she could sign something for me. And she did. With all the bad publicity male fans of women's tennis players are getting, I was worried about how to approach Maria. But everything was fine.

And Sharky, thanks for accepting the personalized Maria Sharapova autograph I got for you. I would hope you would accept it! Sharky, I got a persoanalized Maria Sharapova autograph for you instead of me. I would think you would appreciate it.

Sharky, just don't go running up to Maria screaming Maria Maria Maria! :eek: Or Sharky Sharky Sharky! ;) Please be sensitive and approach Maria the way you would approach a cat! :) Quietly and calmly! And everything should be just fine! :D

Sharky, I can't remember which Japan tournament he meant. But We'll know soon enough!

No Sharky, I didn't ask Max if Maria is going to play the junior Canadian Open. As it was, I probably intruded too much on Max and his valuable time! :( But he was gracious, informative and enthusiastic about talking tennis! :) Especially Russian tennis! :bounce:

And Max also said that even though Maria and Myriam Casanova have a great rivalry, the also are friends. And that was nice to hear.

The Crucifix Maria wears is absolutely beautiful!

Sharky, I'll admit that I was dissapointed that Maria will be done with the juniors after the 2002 junior U.S. Open. :( I wanted to see her become the junior World Champion just like Anna Kournikova, Lina Krasnoroutskaya and Svetlana Kuznetsova did. But the flip side is that Maria is already thinking about the pro's. And I hope that means she will be mentally ready for playing the WTA Tour next year.

Udachi Maria! :bounce:

Thanks for checking in Sharky. This heartfelt thread I wrote would not have been complete without you! :kiss:

Krasnoroutskaya, I'm glad you liked the pictures! Maria likes them, too! In fact, she asked for that beautiful photo of her and Gisella Dulko at the Nasdaq-100 Junior Open awards ceremony! I couldn't refuse! So I gladly gave her the photo. And the delicate way Maria was holding the photo by the edges was absolutely priceless! :angel:

I love to see photos of Maria holding trophies! She holds them just perfectly! Maria holds her trophies the same lovely way the "Price Is Right" models hold the beautiful objects they are displaying! :D

Maria has a very lovely voice! But I couldn't even detect the slightest Russian accent! I suppose that's because Maria has lived and trained in America since she was six years old.

babsi, I think you'll like Maria alot! :) I believe she is very likable. Much like 2 of your all time favorites, Barbara Schett and Anke Huber! :kiss:

Jakeev
Jul 14th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Hi Cat great report. My question is, how devastated was she to lose that WImbledon final though? Did she expect to win that match?

I am still a little surprised she did not win that title. And with all the attention paid on her in the media, gosh I just hope she does not get sidetracked and see other Russian juniors pass her by.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 14th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Jakeev ......... she knew that match was going to be hard for her (having lost 6-1 6-1 to Vera in the previous weeks final) , even when she did win the 1st set ( lucky net cord on set pt), she was getting streched quite a bit, her level dropped off after the 1st.

Maria won't let that affect her by what happened, she will climb that ladder pretty quick, and i expect her to be cracking on the Top 100 sometime next year.

the cat
Jul 14th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Thanks Jakeev! Hi! :wavey: Having Vera Douchevina come from a set down to beat Maria in the 2002 Wimbledon Girls Final had to hurt Maria alot. :( But I don't think that tough loss will linger too long for Maria. It's obviously very tough for Maria to stop Vera once she gets going! :eek: And being that Vera is 40 pounds heavier than Maria, according to Maria's agent, it's no wonder Maria can't stop Vera when she gets going! No girl in junior tennis can stop Vera when she is at her best. Vera has decimated the junior field in her first year of juniors! :eek: So Maria has nothing to be ashamed of. Jakeev, Maria has had a great first year of the juniors, too. But that 40 pound weight advantage Vera has on Maria is monumental! :eek: But when Maria adds about 15 pounds of weight in the next year or two, she'll be better equipped to handle the big girls.

Did Maria Sharapova expect to beat Vera Douchevina in the Wimbledon Girls final? I would think she did expect to win. But I'm sure she had alot of respect for Vera going into that match. Especially after Vera pounded Maria 6-1 6-1 in the final of Roehampton the week before junior Wimbledon.

Even though she lost the Wimbledon Girls final, Maria still got to go the the Wimbledon Champions Ball! Her agent told me that. And I was happy to hear that! :bounce: Going to the Wimbledon Champions Ball had to make her feel good! :D

Eggy, I agree with you that Maria will climb the WTA rankings ladder pretty quiclky, and break into the top 100 sometime next year! :) I just hope she can play enough WTA tournaments next year to significantly improve her WTA ranking. If I remember correctly, Maria's agent Max Eisenbud told me that Maria can play 10 WTA tournaments next year, plus the 4 grand slams if her ranking is high enough. That doesn't sound like enough tournaments to me. But I hope it's enough to get Maria and her WTA ranking moving in the right direction!

Udachi Maria! :bounce: And thanks to Maria Sharapova and Max Eisenbud, I had a wonderful July 11, 2002! :D :wavey: :kiss:

the cat
Jul 15th, 2002, 02:35 PM
I want to thank all the WTA World members who replied to this thread for helping make it my best and my favorite WTA World thread! :D Thanks! :wavey:

Mike Sterlino
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:17 PM
This is the most beautiful report on Maria that I have ever read so far, but also it is dated 2002. Today she's surrounded by 5 bodyguards and she bacame so famous that I think to reach her you need to become as famous as her or at least close by... :)

tenn_ace
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:22 PM
This is the most beautiful report on Maria that I have ever read so far, but also it is dated 2002. Today she's surrounded by 5 bodyguards and she bacame so famous that I think to reach her you need to become as famous as her or at least close by... :)

speaking Russian helps (from my own experience) ;)

skindeep
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:41 PM
this was bumped why?

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:47 PM
why was this thread brought up?

Louis Cyphre
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:00 PM
why was this thread brought up?
Coz he wanted to!Or ... Oooops it was not a Williams thread and its forbiden!
Mike Sterlino you are troll and hater!!!!!! :lol:

tenn_ace
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Coz he wanted to!Or ... Oooops it was not a Williams thread and its forbiden!
Mike Sterlino you are troll and hater!!!!!! :lol:

;)

TeaMMashA
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Cool Thread

the cat
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the kind words Mike. But I'm surprised to see this thread again after nearly 4 years of silence. Mike, I felt that Masha was going to become a big star back in 2002 and it would be easier to meet her in 2002 than a couple years later. And I was right. I just didn't know she would become such a huge international superstar by the tender age of 17. Now it's almost impossible for the average Sharapova fan to meet her and say hi. It's kind of sad in a way. But I'm sure Masha likes being very famous and very wealthy. I just hope that fame and stardom don't take a toll on Maria.

tenn_ace, you seem to always have the proper ins with the Russina's. ;)

TeaMMashA
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Its a shame she is very well protected nowadays but i guess its for the players safety which is cool and nice to know she is well protected, look what happened when that idiot ran out on court to her anything could have happened!

tenn_ace
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the kind words Mike. But I'm surprised to see this thread again after nearly 4 years of silence. Mike, I felt that Masha was going to become a big star back in 2002 and it would be easier to meet her in 2002 than a couple years later. And I was right. I just didn't know she would become such a huge international superstar by the tender age of 17. Now it's almost impossible for the average Sharapova fan to meet her and say hi. It's kind of sad in a way. But I'm sure Masha likes being very famous and very wealthy. I just hope that fame and stardom don't take a toll on Maria.

tenn_ace, you seem to always have the proper ins with the Russina's. ;)

no, it's egg who does.

Lena D. has always been tough to approach. Actually, it's Vera's fault - the best bodyguard of them all ;)

Perec
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I love Maria so much. I would love to meet her. I seen her once when she played Roland Garros and she had to change her shoe as it was fully of red clay, she was awaiting the trainer. When Maria removed her shoe and sock the sight of her bare foot dangling was exciting. She wiggled her toes and I continued to stare at her leg and foot in such an obvious fashion I hoped that she would notice. Being older I was not into playing games anymore and felt that if anything was going to happen I was going to let my intentions known. If not then no big deal at least I knew I took a chance. After a few minutes it did not take long for her notice and she asked, " So you like what you see. " I replied "Yes Maria I do". Then she continued her match. :D

the cat
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:31 PM
It's nice of you to think of Eggy and give credit to him. :)

As for Elena Dementieva, she's a woman now and doesn't need her mother stifling her life anymore. And it's sad to think that Maria's father might be doing the same thing to her. :( I hope Masha has her own life away from her father and the tennis courts.

tenn_ace
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:34 PM
It's nice of you to think of Eggy and give credit to him. :)

As for Elena Dementieva, she's a woman now and doesn't need her mother stifling her life anymore. And it's sad to think that Maria's father might be doing the same thing to her. :( I hope Masha has her own life away from her father and the tennis courts.

Yeah, that was I thought about Lena D. 2 years ago, but, apparently, her mom knows best ;) :p

bellascarlett
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:09 PM
I love Maria so much. I would love to meet her. I seen her once when she played Roland Garros and she had to change her shoe as it was fully of red clay, she was awaiting the trainer. When Maria removed her shoe and sock the sight of her bare foot dangling was exciting. She wiggled her toes and I continued to stare at her leg and foot in such an obvious fashion I hoped that she would notice. Being older I was not into playing games anymore and felt that if anything was going to happen I was going to let my intentions known. If not then no big deal at least I knew I took a chance. After a few minutes it did not take long for her notice and she asked, " So you like what you see. " I replied "Yes Maria I do". Then she continued her match. :D

sorry but is this even true? :tape: :lol:

Allez-H
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Great report :heart: I there any chance somebody can post that fab pic masha loves so much cuz the link isn't working ;)

Perec
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:14 PM
sorry but is this even true? :tape: :lol:

Yes it's true it happen last year when I was at Roland Garros. :D

msharafan
Mar 6th, 2006, 06:21 PM
god this thread is so interesting to read, lets hope masha continues to do well in the future and maybe even dominate!

UDACHi
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Wow. Almost 4 years ago. :eek: :hearts: