PDA

View Full Version : This board is ruining itself

Fedcup
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:17 PM
I'm getting sick lately of all that add-on windows with advertising.

When this wtaboard first appeared it was to have an alternative for all the posters when teh official wtaboard was stopped.

But now the succes of this board has grown. Lots of new users. More broaband needed? So advertising needed to pay broadband space??
The negative side of the story is thus that lately lots of windows with advertising pop up. This is so disturbing that maybe one-day I'll stop to check this site. I love it very much but all those pop-up windows make me wonder....

anton
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:19 PM
I dont like the pop ups either but since this is free then I dont think we have any true right to complain. This is a great website, almost as good as venustennis.com.:wavey:

anabel
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:20 PM
I prefer pop ups and site, than not pop ups and not site

joneg2
I agree...

venusfan
Get popip killer.. soon as a window pops up the closes it shut and put the window on a black list.. cant surf the net these days without a popup killer.

Ryan
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:21 PM
The pop-ups piss me off, but it's a small price to pay to be on such a great site:) Hopefully the pop-ups will leave soon though.

treufreund
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Why are they so disturbing? They are just a minor nuisance to me. What I find more disturbing is the close-mindedness of some of the posters around here.

-Sonic-
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:22 PM
How much does it cost? Cos loadsa sites (not tennis, just general ones) are asking for donations to stay alive. I'd rather pay a small amount each for membership or whatever and have a nice quick site but I understand thats not really possible what with the thousands of members already around and all the hassle of paying a teeny bit each etc.

irma
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:25 PM
it's a little annoying but not that much.
at least they appear on another site, you also have popups who come on the page and then you have to wait at least two minutes to get site and info you want!

Pureracket
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Panicware.com has a 30 day free trial that helps stop pop-ups.

Instead of totally closing the popups, one should simply minimize them. That way when a person leaves this site and returns, the popups will not appear again.

Fedcup
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by treufreund
Why are they so disturbing? They are just a minor nuisance to me. What I find more disturbing is the close-mindedness of some of the posters around here.

thkx theufreund

The only thing to point out is that succes can be very negative for persons and things. They are lots of examples of sportspeople that can't cope with succes. This board is getting so huge that it needed to make a choice. It grew with it members and now it needs funds to keep this thing going. It's very annoying all those pop-ups windows. Something that blocks me to check this site more often. A year ago it was more pleasant to read.

They are more tennis boards than this. Not as huge but more user-friendly. So probably I will check those more.

But this is a good thing according to you because I'm too clos-mindedned. So that's one close-mindedned person less. Now the other ones and you have a pure message board!

barmaid
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:49 PM
We're all sick of those blinky blank%$#&&%$#$@ messages..but it pays the bills...more tolerance please!!

barmaid:wavey:

-Sonic-
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:54 PM
i just got admuncher thanks to a link in another thread, and its logo on ur task screen is a little cow (heehee). how sweet. life couldn't be better.

Beat
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:24 PM
pop ups suck

Come-on-kim
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:34 PM
I don't like to pop-ups but that's nothing because it's such a good board!!

I can't live without it!!LOL

Dokicfan17
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:00 PM
I persoanlly dont care hehe

i just x' out those bad bois

Richie77
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:24 PM
Yes they're annoying, but if it means keeping this board alive, then I don't mind.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:30 PM
I'd pay a fee to be a member of this site with no pop-ups :)

hantuchova_rulez
Jul 12th, 2002, 11:34 PM
What about Banners?

You don't need pop-ups, I'm a regular on other boards, and there's always an issue, but banners are less annoying and I prefer them in my case, and generate the same income.

smygelfh
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:38 AM
A very smooth solution:

www.opera.com

Chose not to let pages open new windows in the preferences.

Crazy Canuck
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:05 AM
I have a very slow computer, or I would not even care.

My computer at my moms is fast and I can close popups before they even load, but on this one it takes for bloody ever.

But oh well - if these sites want to ensure that I will never ever go to them EVER, then they are free to use this useless form of advertising.

Kart
Jul 13th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by anabel
I prefer pop ups and site, than not pop ups and not site

Precisely.