PDA

View Full Version : Injured Hingis Withdraws From San Diego, LA, Montreal and prob US Open

babsi
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:27 PM
http://sanexwta.com/index.cfm?section=main&cont_id=114268

Monica_Rules
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Sad news:sad:

I hope she'll be back soon!:)

MartianJoeyWinson
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:29 PM
I do not need that news now :(

treufreund
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Get well soon sweetie. Glad that she is taking her time to fully recover. :)

AjdeNate!
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Oh no.... :(
I was looking forward to her return. Get well soon, Marti!
2003 awaits you.

Beat
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:35 PM
I'm kinda glad she's not in a rush to return and that she takes all the time she needs to recover properly..

anabel
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:37 PM
omg no pff

shirley
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Sincere Sympathy to all fans of Martina who are desparate to see her back in action.

I'm a Lindsay fan (I know how you feel)

matthias
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:40 PM
i dislike Martina Hingis, but i start to feel sorry for her

treufreund
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:41 PM
guess you just wanted to keep reminding us of that. wouldn't want anyone to actually think that you had forgiven her for the steffi incident? :(

babsi
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:43 PM
OMG, can people not say how they really feel in here, what Matthias said was a compliment!

And I have actually grown to like her now, I think the tour needs her as it is lacking 'an ingredient' at the moment.

And I do hope she comes back soon, but I am glad she is not rushing it...

matthias
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:50 PM
@babsi, i will never like her, but learned to respect her
and i think the tour need her.
cause i like to see the fight between power and rafinesse (right spelling?)

irma
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:51 PM
I hope she is back soon too, tennis is more fun when all topplayers are there!

villa
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Such a shame, was really looking forward to seeing her back, i am not a fan but i always enjoyed her rivalry with the williams and miss rooting against her.

treufreund
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:52 PM
i know i overreacted but I don't see why people have to "preface" statements with a "I dislike Martina". It's like they are trying very hard to reaffirm their dislike of someone as if that were some part of his or her identity. I find this troubling in general but I think Matthias is a pretty nice poster and not the only one who starts a lot of posts with a disclaimer.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Sad news indeed but i didn't really expect her to play.

hope she comes back 100% pretty soon, the Tour needs her.

GrandSlammed
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:58 PM
What a shame... but momma said there would be days like this..

earthcrystal
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:59 PM
You're missed Martina.
Hope the recovery speeds up from this point on.

matthias
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:02 PM
@treufreund
all i try to express is that a non-hingis fan is feeling sorry for her too.

cause it is usual that all hingis fans feel soory for her.

treufreund
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Sehr klassig. :D :wavey:

Tratree
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Injuries suck :(

tenn_ace
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Marti:sad:

spiceboy
matthias, agree 100 % with u ;)

Mark43
Damn, I hope she is able to make it back to the top soon. We need her right now to spice things up a bit.

Ryan
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:14 PM
I did NOT need to here this. Bye Bye loads of points. Now I just hope she comes back 200%, nothing less then a Grand Slam will make me happy now.:p j/k Hopefully Martina will be back as soon as possible and rack up points in the indoor 'season'.

JCFan
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:20 PM
I guess it's understandable that she would miss 3 months after such a surgery. But I had my hopes up that she'd be ready for the summer hardcourt season. Maybe by the fall she will be ready to get back at it in Europe. Rest up and get better soon Martina.

barmaid
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:44 PM
While the news of Martina's withdrawals from the tourney's stated...her main concern is to come back healthly and strong at this point...Martina's fans are very disappointed she won't be able to play until after the U.S. Open( it looks like)..but I'm sure we wish her well with her recovery and rehab and if it takes longer...so be it!!:sad:

barmaid:wavey:

treufreund
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Well the hardcourt is very long and very grueling and I think martina knows that she should get really healthy and try to get some rhythm at the end of the season and then should she need some time off again she will have the off season to really work on any nagging injuries and fitness issues to be ready for next year :D

Gumbycat
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Injured Hingis Withdraws From Sanex WTA Tour Events
Also Indicates She Will Not Enter US Open By July 15 Entry Deadline
July 12, 2002

Getty Images

St. Petersburg, FL, USA - Martina Hingis has been forced to withdraw from the Acura Classic (San Diego, CA), the JP Morgan Chase Open presented by Audi (Los Angeles, CA) and the Rogers AT&T Canada Cup (Montreal, Canada) due to continued rehabilitation from surgery on a left ankle injury that has sidelined her since May 2002. Representatives for Hingis also indicated that the former World #1 would not submit an application to play in the US Open by the July 15 entry deadline.

Hingis underwent surgery on May 20 in Zurich, Switzerland to repair ligaments of her left ankle. According to Hingis? representatives, her rehabilitation is progressing well and she hopes to resume play soon.

In 2001, Hingis reached the semifinals of San Diego and Los Angeles and withdrew from Toronto due to a left foot stress fracture sustained in San Diego. She was the #1 seed at the 2001 US Open, losing to Serena Williams in the semifinals. Her expected absence from the 2002 US Open would mark the third consecutive Grand Slam that Hingis has missed since turning professional in October 1994.

The Sanex WTA Tour is the world's premier professional sport for women. In 2002, more than 1,000 players representing 76 nations are competing for more than $51 million in prize money at 66 events in 33 countries. The 2002 season concludes with the Sanex WTA Tour?s season-ending Championships Presented by Porsche at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles, California, November 6-11, 2002.

BigB0882
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Well I am sorry to all her die hard fans. I know I would be so upset if this were Seles and I had a small taste of this last year!

I hope she comes back strong. Atleast she won't have any points to defend when she returns.

Lindsayfan
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:37 PM
very bad news :( :(

Jordan.
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:40 PM
:sad:

saby
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:56 PM

:angel: :angel: :angel:

Raj
Jul 12th, 2002, 11:02 PM
Martina should take off all the time she needs.
The stronger she comes back the better.

Richie77
Jul 12th, 2002, 11:19 PM
That's too bad. I feel for all the Hingis fans.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jul 12th, 2002, 11:36 PM
This is sad news....I really wanted her back now.....

Get well soon Martina!

hantuchova_rulez
Jul 12th, 2002, 11:47 PM
Get well soon Martina!

The game needs you! We need as many challengers to knock the williams off the top spot too! [to make it competitive, not that I dislike them!]

Robbie.
Jul 13th, 2002, 01:45 AM
This is bad news :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

I just hope Martina takes this oppurtunity to get back the hunger for her tennis. Of course I would love to see her back for the european indoor swing, but if it doesn't happen, 2003 and many more years wait her :D

Mateo Mathieu
Jul 13th, 2002, 01:49 AM
Most of you guys know I don't like Martina but I feel sorry her because the Tour need her. I want see her comeback and battle with the sisters at the US Open!

Kart
Jul 13th, 2002, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by barmaid
While the news of Martina's withdrawals from the tourney's stated...her main concern is to come back healthly and strong at this point...Martina's fans are very disappointed she won't be able to play until after the U.S. Open( it looks like)..but I'm sure we wish her well with her recovery and rehab and if it takes longer...so be it!!:sad:

Well said :).

Get well soon Martina :), but come back only when you are fully fit.

Consistency
Jul 13th, 2002, 02:17 AM
Sad news, but not entirely unexpected. I would of been a little surprised if 'Tina decided to play the North-American Hardcourts 2 1/2 months after surgery.

GET WELL MARTS.

ChrisGermany
Jul 13th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Of course ;)

"Martina battling with the sisters" - for the title you mean, Alex ?

No way ! Be happy when she returns HEALTHY !

Injured or injury-free, Martina wasnīt a real competitor against either the sisters or Jennifer ( and add Lindsay to that list and a determined Seles to that list too ). I think itīs good not to waste energy just for a GS where her chances of winning it are rather small and instead try to get it together for some matches in fall to come back strong 2003 and defending NOTHING after spring.

irma
Jul 13th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Martina wasnīt a real competitor against either the sisters or Jennifer

In her defense, didn't she have 4 matchpoints against Cappy this year in australia?

Vincent
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Lindsay has came back, All-williams final?
NO WAY
When Martina comes back and with a good shape Lindsay, All-williams final?
-99999999999999999999999999999%
Lindsay and Martina will probably be dominanting again!

usatennis1
Jul 13th, 2002, 02:20 PM
I was hoping that she would make the U. S. Open this year. Get well soon! :)

jomar
Jul 13th, 2002, 02:23 PM
get better marti.:angel:

Beat
Jul 13th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Injured or injury-free, Martina wasnīt a real competitor against either the sisters or Jennifer (and add Lindsay to that list and a determined Seles to that list too )
------------
yeah, right she only beat these players 46 times combined.

FP
Jul 13th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Get well soon Marti:angel:

NaF
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:18 PM
oh no... i'm so sad that we all couldn't watch her play soon...

but hey, hopefully by the time she comes back to the tour, she'll be as healthy as ever and show her best in tennis... :)

Go Marti... get well soon !!

ChrisGermany
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Beat, would you please list those of the 46 victories IN THE LAST 2 years then and give me a percentage how many were they ?

I think less than 25% - and thatīs it !

Accept the fact that cleverness and tactics helped her the years Steffi Graf was absent, Lindsay and Monica not as determined to use POWER as they were in 2000/2001 and that now that POWER came to tennis and helped the Williams, Seles, Capriati, Davenport or Mauresmo she is no longer a title favourite at those events where ALL of that calibre meet. Give her a tierI where none of those players plays, okay, but is that comparable to a Grand Slam win ?!

Irma, when she had those points in the finals, why not making them. She is not capable of beating those players regarding her brain in case of Capriati and regarding her power in case of the Williams.

But thatīs not a point where she cannot work on. I doubt weīll see Martina Hingis as stereotype as she was recently. She had no concept against either of those players and just relied on the cleverness of her game which worked as long as others had a let down or werenīt on court and as long as they didnīt wake up it was too late and Martina took a set and broke their will. But with players as determined to have a quick start as she is they themselves broke her will and thatīs where Martina definetly CAN develop strategies to equal power or to find ways of beating them.

But to say sheīs capable of that victories NOW and DIRECTLY when she returns is a bit too much of fan-talking. Even Lindsay should have an easy way through to the quarterfinals of most events but thatīs where events start for her and where she can prove where she stands.

I hope that Martina comes back strong. Saying she and Lindsay once again will dominate is fan-idealism. The Williams play more events than in the past and even those that could be regarded as Hingis- or Davenport-territory are now divided between the 2. And with Seles, Capriati and some other contenders, why use the word "domination" ? Noone apart from the Williams dominates these days and saying that a non-power-player could fill that role ignores the status of todayīs tennis.