PDA

View Full Version : The Patty Cake Strategy for defeating Serena S-Train Williams

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 12th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Players that have challenged Serena:

Patty

Justine Henin

ELs Callens

Jennifer Capriati

Okay Out of all of the above the only one to really frustrate serena and win was patty. justine won but by two points in a thirdset tie break is a really slim margin.

Els frustrated serena as well and took her to two two set tiebreaks, which says a lot.

Jennifer has been the only power player to challenge rena but she has lost every time despite close matches.

so the question is will the players take note and adopt a Patty Cake Strategy or will serena continue her dominance through the end of the year?

babsi
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Patty is a unique player, no one plays like her and she has the one big advantage many players don't have and that is that is left-handed.

Nimi
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:47 PM
true, she has a game style which we dont see everyday, none was ready for her in 1998, but than i guess all of them were better preapered.. & how many top 50 leftys do u know?

AjdeNate!
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:53 PM
C. none of the above.
Serena will cool down (I'm not saying she'll be bad and lose a ton, but she's so red hot right now, she has nowhere to go). And players need to play their game. She's not indestructible.

AjdeNate!
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Niminator
& how many top 50 leftys do u know?

Monica Seles

Nimi
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:58 PM
thats one, which basiclly has the same shot on both sides, Pattys forehand & backhand are completely defferent

venusfan
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Serena lost to Patty because she lose concentration and was hitting errors

laj
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Serena is 5-1 against Patty. Those first five matches were not even close. How come one match determines the most frustrated opponent? Serena has no opponent that frustrates her anymore. It used to be that Arantxa was the one when Serena first come on the tour. She got over ASV couple years ago.

supremeross
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:21 PM
Patty just had a good run in Charleston. Nothing more, nothing less. Overall she is like 1-6 against Serena. I think it was more of a blip or hiccup than her true ability.

Asmus
Jul 12th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Serena also had match point in that match!

GrandSlammed
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:12 PM
Oh so now Schnyder has figured Serena Williams out?? ...lol....

Rolling-Thunder
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:36 PM
I have that match taped and Serena killed Patty for a set and half and then started making a ton of errors. Then Patty started to play better. Yet the outcome was more Serena lost in lieu of Patty winning it on her racquet. And yes I know Patty ultimately won the match and notched a victory. But there is a difference when a lower ranking player either wins based upon her own performance or wins because the top ranked player had a bad day or just was not there. But a win is still a win.

And what has Patty done since? And though she had a good tournament she still didn't win the title.

ONE MATCH DOES NOT A STRATEGY MAKE. GIVE A BREAK! jUST WISHFUL THINKING:drool:

Kart
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Schnyder beat Serena and JenCap in consecutive matches did she not ?

Maybe one win could be considered a bit lucky but two over the only GS winners this year ?

She was clearly doing something right.

Of course you could argue that maybe Serena and JenCap are better players and maybe the just underestimated her but if that's the case then really they deserved to lose ...

Answering the original question though - I think the top players are still better off playing their on game against Serena rather than attempting to change the way they play completely. So probably Serena will continue her dominance to the end of the year ...

Nimi
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:20 PM
well Jenn did get her revenge... in straight sets... in the same score as Patty beat her, i think..

Kart
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:24 PM
That's fair enough but even if she never beats JenCap and Serena again I don't think that means she was not the better player on that day.

I looked it up - actually Schnyder had a pretty amazing tournament with consecutive wins over Amelie, Mary, Serena and JenCap before falling to Iva in the final. That's a pretty amazing run :eek:.

Celeste
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:35 PM
I saw the Patty match. Serena was entirely another player then. It was night and day that match and then watching Berlin on television. No dig on Patty, she won, but Serena wasn't playing at nearly her later level in that match. Also, it was 7-5 in the third after Serena had at least 2 points to send it to a tiebreak. I don't see a difference between that and Justine winning in a tiebreak, particularly when Serena was playing so much better in the Justine match. It was Serena who "lost" the Patty match with too many impatient errors, though Patty was working to keep it close so that errors counted in the final analysis. Patty played a great match, no doubt, but Justine is much better against Serena.

TSequoia01
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Kart
Answering the original question though - I think the top players are still better off playing their on game against Serena rather than attempting to change the way they play completely. So probably Serena will continue her dominance to the end of the year ...

I agree because Serena is too smart to play her any one way. Patty won those matches against both Serena and Jennifer so I just give her credit for a job well done. Does she have a key to defeating Serena....no. Kart, yes Serena will contine her dominance to the end of the year.....but you left off a few words...."and beyond!." ;)

TeeRexx
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:57 PM
When Patty beat SERENA she was all "juiced up" on oj.
That is the secret. LOL

harloo
Jul 13th, 2002, 04:27 PM
I do have to say that the match with her and patty was on Serena's racket. Patty won, but it was because of the errors. I couldn't even believe the amout of errors Serena was making. Justine at Berlin was a better match up. However, Serena went on to beat Justine the next week.

I notice this, the way to beat Serena or even challenge Serena is to stay aggressive. El Callens was aggressive throughout her match, but the rest of the players don't put Serena under pressure enough. In the semis, Amelie tried to when it was too late in the match and Serena still won the point. You just have to try to stay with her, or it's over for you.

-Sonic-
Jul 13th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Not much use anymore, but Sandrine beat Serena twice in 1999, the only player to do it twice in 1999 i do believe... she's not really got identical games to any of those mentioned above, and the ones above aren't really dramatically similar.

Maybe its just if your particular game is at its peak for 2 out of 3 sets, it'll work. If its nearly at its peak, you might win, might lose in 2 tiebreaks, or might lose in 3. Sounds boring but thats all I can come up with give the list of players there :(

Kart
Jul 14th, 2002, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by TSequoia01

I agree because Serena is too smart to play her any one way. Patty won those matches against both Serena and Jennifer so I just give her credit for a job well done. Does she have a key to defeating Serena....no. Kart, yes Serena will contine her dominance to the end of the year.....but you left off a few words...."and beyond!." ;)

Answering the original question though - I think the top players are still better off playing their on game against Serena rather than attempting to change the way they play completely. So probably Serena will continue her dominance to the end of the year ... and beyond! :)

venusfan
Jul 14th, 2002, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Sonic The Hedgehog
Not much use anymore, but Sandrine beat Serena twice in 1999, the only player to do it twice in 1999 i do believe... she's not really got identical games to any of those mentioned above, and the ones above aren't really dramatically similar.

Maybe its just if your particular game is at its peak for 2 out of 3 sets, it'll work. If its nearly at its peak, you might win, might lose in 2 tiebreaks, or might lose in 3. Sounds boring but thats all I can come up with give the list of players there :(

SO WHAT? She was playing like crap then also.. I remember once when she was beating sandrine up 5-1 in the final set and ended up losing the match.

Alll and all, Serena is a much better player today. Though for the moment, she is not my most favoriate player because of what she did to Venus and I'm dying for Venus to put her in her place at the US Open.