Zi Yan
Captain: Li Qio Yu

Russia
Elena Dementieva
Tatiana Panova
Elena Bovina
Captain: Shamil Tarpischev

only three girls picked ???
surely they should have taken a fourth, even a Jr player just as a precaution incase something happens

Elena will head the team
Tatiana will play 150% like she always does and play as #2 Singles
Elena Bovina will play doubles.

This is a match we cannot afford to lose, and we shouldn't.

Jordan.
Jul 12th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Good Luck Team Russia! :bounce:

tenn_ace
Jul 12th, 2002, 03:40 PM
I'm glad Tatiana is back in the team.

And I'm glad that she is an awsome girl.. ready to forget and forgive and help its country when it needs her.

tenn_ace
Jul 12th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Sharpichev interview here:

http://www.gazeta.ru/2002/07/11/lihovcevaimy.shtml

Myskina and Lichovtseva would have benn more expensive for Russia if they had to with draw from the tournament in US

ys
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:13 PM
hypocrites... Imagine what would they say if Anna K. would make herself unavailable for Fed Cup because of WTT.. She would be declared a traitor within a minute..:(

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:13 PM
I still think he should have taken one of Dinara/Sveta or Vera.
Sitting on the bench is all part of the experience, playing or not, it will help next time.

Only Elena Bovina has been to China before

fresh2flash
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:27 PM
I feel so sorry for Tatiana. She is in the team just because there was another choice. I'm 100 % sure that next year she will be out of the team after securing a birth in the World group.

ys
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:47 PM
The only consolation is, that basically she is a pro, playing for money, and she is not playing for free in Fed Cup, and she wouldn't earn any money this week otherwise.

fresh2flash
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:54 PM
If that is a consolation for her....

ys
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:57 PM
But at least now we can be sure that everything is patched between her and Shamil. And if she stays Russian #3, as she is now, there is no reason whatsoever why she would not get a call in future.

fresh2flash
Jul 12th, 2002, 05:02 PM
I think Shamil is a kind of coach who alwais keeps with the young girls and guys. In men§s tennis there are not just enough good players to change the roaster every year. But in the women§s there are. I do not think that he dislikes Tanya personally, otherwise she wouldn^t except invitation.

the cat
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:52 PM
My first reaction was the same as ys's. Hypocrites!

But not to take one of the young players as one of the 4 is very puzzling. But maybe Douchevina, Zvonareva or Safina don't want go to China. Isn't that possible?

But it'sood for Tatiana to be back on the Russian Fed Cup team. She deserves some long overdue respect! :D

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Tatiana is needed so she gets picked.

Nastya and Elena L are pre-occupied with WTT and can't got out of. Lina and Nadia have been out injured for months.

Anna K doubtful whether she'll get picked again.
So Tanya was the only one left.

Wonder who they would have picked had she refused ????? and she had good reason too as well.

ys
Jul 12th, 2002, 11:07 PM
Tatiana might have one little issue in mind - very few good players will go to play Olympics in 2004 because of the bad timing, so making sure she is eligible for Olympics could be helpful.

Cassius
Jul 14th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Only 3 players?
Hmmm..........very odd. Better hope that Tarpischev is a mastermind of the highest order:p;).

Good Luck to the Russian girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

auntie janie
Jul 14th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Nice to see Tatiana back in the fold for whatever reason. She belongs there. :)

Am not familiar with these Chinese players' names AT ALL, except for Na Li. I hope they will not be troublesome!

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 14th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Na Li is 20 and harldy played all yr

Jie Zheng and Nan Nan Liu are both 19
Zi Yan is 18

so they have got a very inexperienced team as well.

auntie janie
Jul 14th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the info, Egg. Doesn't look too worrisome! :)

Rising Sun
Jul 14th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Making my Russian Roulette debut here. :wavey:

Just here for some info on Chinese players. As Eggy mentioned, the team is very inexperienced, and this is the first time they're playing opponents of the same calibre as the Russians. This should be a great learning experience for them, playing at home.

Na would already be ranked inside the Top 100 IMO, if she had played a full schedule since 2000. Anyway, here are their win-loss records this year (not including Fed Cup in March), plus their rankings end of last year, and this week's rankings.

ZHENG, Jie: 36-11 (2001 - 464; 2002 - 210)
LI, Na: 15-3 (2001 - 303; 2002 - 233)
LIU, Nan-Nan: 24-11 (2001 - 280; 2002 - 246)
YAN, Zi: 20-11 (2001 - 474; 2002 - 305)

Steveg
Jul 14th, 2002, 11:09 PM
In doubles Yan Zi and Zheng Jie went from 170+ at the beginning of the year to around 125 at the moment.

So this Fed Cup event will be a good doubles experience for them too :) .

Though she hardly played this year, Nan Nan crushed all her opponents at the $75,000 Midland tourney at the beginning of the year, winning the SF in less than 1 hours and the final in 39 minutes :) . She won besides all her Fed Cup matches. She should have crushed Prakusya during this event but was not focused during the first set (that she lost).

She is not playing often these days because of recurrent injuries :( . So no one can anticipate her present shape. When she played more often on the tour, she would beat players like Emanuelle Gagliardi.

According to the ATF director, she is a top 20 material (if only the Chinese Tennis Federation would let her play more WTA events instead of restricting her to ITF tournaments).

So this Fed Cup will be a good opportunity for her to get additional experience.

As for Jie she is indeed inexperienced. Her main record is to have beaten easily Angelique Widjaja during the Fed Cup qualifying ties :) .

I am certain all the Chinese players will enjoy this excellent opportunity to play against better ranked / more experienced players :D . They do not have that many opportunities due to the poor tournament selections by Chinese tennis officials :( .

ZAK
Jul 16th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Steveg

According to the ATF director, she is a top 20 material (if only the Chinese Tennis Federation would let her play more WTA events instead of restricting her to ITF tournaments).
:( .
Why do they restrict her?

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 17th, 2002, 03:25 AM
thanx guys for your input

go Team Russia !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fresh2flash
Jul 17th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Don`t let me down girls!!! :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 20th, 2002, 10:22 AM
China 0 RUSSIA 2

Panova d. Zheng 6-3 6-1
Dementieva d. Sun 6-2 6-3

well done girls :D
now complete the job tomorrow :)

fresh2flash
Jul 20th, 2002, 11:42 AM
I`m glad they didn`t underestimate their opponents :)

Cassius
Jul 20th, 2002, 01:35 PM
They've already played earlier today?
DAMN!!!!!!:(.

Oh well.....at least they won:).
All the best tomorrow:D.

DEETHELICK
Jul 20th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Well done ladies, and good luck tomorrow!

Elena looked in great shape! :)

fresh2flash
Jul 20th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Cassius
They've already played earlier today?
DAMN!!!!!!:(.

You`ve slept too long :)

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 21st, 2002, 11:01 AM
Alyona won 6-0 6-3 :bounce:

Russia 3-0 :D
now the jobs well done :)

congrats girls, don't put us in a similar position again.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 21st, 2002, 11:42 AM
Russia defeated China 5-0
Venue: Beijing International Tennis Centre, Beijing
Surface: Hard – indoors

Tatiana Panova (RUS) d Jie Zheng (CHN) 63 61
Elena Dementieva (RUS) d Tian-Tian Sun (CHN) 62 63
Elena Dementieva (RUS) d Jie Zheng (CHN) 64 60
Elena Bovina (RUS) d Na Li (CHN) 60 62
Elena Bovina/Tatiana Panova (RUS) d
Zi Yan/Jie Zheng (CHN) 63 76(3)

well done girls on the clean sweep :)

fresh2flash
Jul 21st, 2002, 12:19 PM
Well, it should be a clean sweep. But after all these unexpected losses I was preparing for a tough battle. Glad the girls have proven me wrong. No the next year you should take the title. Espl if BJK will stay in charge of the US team :)

:bounce:

ys
Jul 21st, 2002, 05:52 PM
Dammit, I am looking at who is left in Fed Cup, and I can't but think what an opportunity we wasted.. :( Alyona's clay slump probably costed us a Fed Cup this year..:(

the cat
Jul 21st, 2002, 07:40 PM
Russia has nothing to be happy about where Fed Cup is concerned. They have underachieved this year. And that's the bottom line.

You could have sent the Russian girls junior team and they would have won this tie 5-0. I'm not impressed.

As ys said, this year was a wasted opportunity.

Can an Elena Dementieva led Russian team win the Fed Cup?

And why don'tthe girls play doubles together? There are a few fine doubles players among the Russian girls. But they don't team up too often on the WTA Tour. Why is that?