PDA

View Full Version : Quotes

QueenO
Jul 12th, 2002, 01:42 AM
"For me, it didn't matter if I was down 4-1. I was just competing."--after winning the US Open

QueenO
Jul 12th, 2002, 01:43 AM
"I've just started, I only have three. I'd like to just kind of keep counting them until you got to start counting my toes. "

Infiniti2001
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:05 PM
"I feel like I played Lindsay when she was playing some of her best tennis And I won the match," Williams said. "And that was nice. I've beaten the No. 1 (Hingis) and No. 2 (Davenport) players in the rankings successively. That feels nice."

Venus after winning the US Open 2000 :P

QueenO
Jul 24th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Henin

"I was playing so well," said Henin, who is winless in three finals this year. "I never played tennis like this. I didn't make any mistakes until 6-2 4-0. I thought, 'Maybe I can finish the match.' I congratulate Venus for the great comeback today. She's a great champion and I have a lot of respect for her".

QueenO
Jul 24th, 2002, 07:42 PM
"Again, that's what both Williams sisters have done collectively to women's tennis. They've raised that physical bar to the point where, even someone as good as Lindsay Davenport has to hit two or more winners in a rally to win the point"

QueenO
Jul 24th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Venus/Capriati Ericsson final

Mary: "Look at this! No one recovers from themselves better than this woman!"--talking about Venus

QueenO
Jul 24th, 2002, 08:32 PM
From LA Times Article

"There are so many great players, but I think Venus has the chance maybe to be the greatest ever."

QueenO
Jul 24th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Davenport after Us Open Final 2000

"She obviously covers the court very well, much differently from other players. You know, a player like Arantxa just gets it back, where Venus runs it down and hits it hard back. You never know quite what to do, if you should move into the court or wait for a hard shot back. It's tough to put balls back against her."

QueenO
Jul 24th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Poncho Segura on Venus. Acura Classic finals 2001,

"Poncho Segura: "Venus is too good. She is playing so well. She has all the equipment. She is serving great and she got that forehand that improved so much. She got a big weapon now on the forehand side. She is just a better player. If she keeps playing like this she will be one of the greatest player that ever lived. I thought Martina Navratilova was awfully good, but Venus is better."

QueenO
Jul 24th, 2002, 08:41 PM
There were many reports of a somber Venus looking on as Serena won the family’s first grand slam title. But according to Isha, that’s quintessential Venus: serious and quiet.

Sister Isha

“She has carried much of the burden of their stardom,” says Isha of Venus.
“She’s kind of world-weary. She has this attitude like, ‘Been there, done that.’ That’s just the person she is.”

QueenO
Jul 24th, 2002, 08:44 PM
1997 USO

Q. In the second set, you were doing much better. Was it a combination of you doing better and her losing a little concentration? How would you rate that?

JOANNETTE KRUGER: You know what, she made me mad, and I played better. She actually smiled at me when we walked around the changeover. I thought, "Oh, my goodness, I've got to do something just to feel a little more like I'm worth a smile here." I started saying, "I've got to do something now or it will be too late." So I think that triggered me a little bit. I was a little bit more feisty, whereas at the beginning, I was so intimidated by this big stadium, to say the honest truth. I think that was the main thing, the stadium.

Q. When did she smile at you?

JOANNETTE KRUGER: At 3-Love

QueenO
Jul 24th, 2002, 08:46 PM
USO 2001
John MacEnroe

"you talk about overpowering she(Venus) knocks the racket out of Serena's hand and that's an easy hold"

QueenO
Jul 26th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Venus Williams

"I'm trying to get back to that top position," said Williams. "My hope is always to be at the top. I hope to get back there by the fall."

QueenO
Aug 5th, 2002, 12:30 AM
"She is crazy about beating me down nowadays," Williams said.

"Maybe she will give me a small break and I will be able to take something home for myself.

"I'm so proud of her. She's always my little sister so I'm still proud of her even if she takes it from me."

QueenO
Aug 5th, 2002, 12:34 AM
"I am not getting bored with tennis, because mentally I am mainly the whole time (on the court) fighting with myself to keep the ball in play and not make errors,'' she said.

"I am not tired of tennis,'' Williams stressed. "I feel that I have quite a few years left to do quite well in this sport.''

:bounce: :kiss: :bounce: :hearts: :bounce: :hearts: :bounce: :kiss: :bounce: