PDA

View Full Version : Marion Bartoli Flies Through The Field At Flushing Meadows: The US OPEN THREAD!!!

UDACHi
Aug 27th, 2007, 02:31 AM
good luck, marion. shitty draw, but this is a good opportunity to prove herself again.

Kielian
Aug 27th, 2007, 02:46 AM
good luck Marion! :D

Iceland
Aug 27th, 2007, 09:30 AM
First step today ! The match should be shown on TV, it's about time we finally saw her ! I only hope she is healthy enough to give her best all the way. Her draw is indeed terrible, but she has at least to give her a chance to play Serena, nothing is impossible when you got to the final in Wimbledon ;).

Allez Marion !

Super_Marion
Aug 27th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Bad draw good draw it's all the same. Marion can win or lose against anyone.

Zombielicious
Aug 27th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Good luck today Mari! Kick some ass! :)

Just Do It
Aug 27th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Good luck !!

Iceland
Aug 27th, 2007, 07:12 PM
First step completed, 61 61 ! :D

Nothing spectacular in the match, Eurosport was unable to show the entire meeting though, but from what I saw, Marion lacked power, she wasn't as aggressive as in Wimbledon. Her serve helped her a lot, she apparently changed her motion & the result is very good :).

She will have to improve her form to beat the other experienced players, but hey it's only the beginning and Marion got through without troubles :).

Congrats !

Super_Marion
Aug 27th, 2007, 07:15 PM
she's thru that's what matters! woohoo! :)

Zombielicious
Aug 27th, 2007, 07:50 PM
What an amazing score! Good job Marion! :hug: I'm really glad she is through this round and I'm glad to know the sickness seems to be gone. :)

Good luck in the next round Marion!

UDACHi
Aug 27th, 2007, 07:57 PM
great win to start marion's us open journey. :bigclap:

Just Do It
Aug 28th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Great win.

Zombielicious
Aug 28th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Who is Mari's next opponent?

sharapovarulz1
Aug 28th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Great win Marion who she playing next guys? :)

JimM
Aug 28th, 2007, 08:07 PM
R2 Marion will play Sara Errani. They have never met before. Errani is ranked #105, and has 2 ITF singles and 6 ITF doubles titles to her credit.

Dont know if she is a righty or a lefty :(

Allez Marion!!

:bounce:

UDACHi
Aug 28th, 2007, 08:17 PM
i'm almost positive errani is a righty. she likes clay and will hopefully make marion hit lots of balls. this is a good looking second round match for marion.

Zombielicious
Aug 28th, 2007, 08:20 PM
good luck Marion! :) Kick some ass please.

Iceland
Aug 28th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks to Daniela's loss, Marion has a great chance of staying in the top 10 ! But she will have to go as far as possible to make it safe. She has many points to defend during the fall.

Patty Choker
Aug 29th, 2007, 10:05 PM
on to the 3rd round:bounce:

Zombielicious
Aug 29th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Marion wins 6-4 6-2

What a great win, though the first set seemed a little tricky! Good luck in the next round, Mari! Who will be her opponent?

Bartoli's Boy
Aug 29th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Lucie Safarova according to the US Open website. Couldn't have asked for a better start to the tournament. It has to have gotten her confidence up, right? :)

Zombielicious
Aug 29th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Mari and Lucie have never played before but hopefully, Mari can be the winner. :)

Bonne chance Marion!

Iceland
Aug 30th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Solid performance today. The first set was a bit tight, but then she managed to overpower Errani who got many balls back. Great exercise of consistency & accuracy for Marion. The next match will be tough.

Congrats Marion :yeah: !!!! 7 aces today, keep these great serves !

Alizé Molik
Aug 31st, 2007, 12:57 PM
gah let's pray that Safarova has some off day or something because I saw her match against Jankovic at Wimbledon and she was hitting the ball sooo hard and so well even on the move which is worrying for Marion, but I don't think she's really consistant so we'll have to see, it could go either way.

Bероника
Aug 31st, 2007, 03:53 PM
Allez Marion!!! :bounce: I really hope you can kick her ass.

Super_Marion
Aug 31st, 2007, 04:10 PM
Postive Attitute. Positive Outcome.

UDACHi
Aug 31st, 2007, 08:27 PM
4-6 6-2 6-3. :banana:

marion played incredibly smart, forcing lucie to make the plays. safarova was sloppy as usual and made enough errors for marion to move on.

good win and into her third straight fourth round at a grand slam. :hearts:

Bероника
Aug 31st, 2007, 08:42 PM
yes :woohoo: I knew it was far from over when she lost the first set.Great fight,Marion!!!!

I just read in GM with this win Marion becomes the best ranked french player.Congrats,Marion,you really have deserved it :worship: and please don't stop now.Allez!!!! :bounce:

Zombielicious
Aug 31st, 2007, 09:13 PM
I can't believe it! Mari, you are amazing. :inlove:

Just what a great match today! :) She will play either Serena Williams or Vera Zvonereva in the 4th round. :scared:

Bartoli's Boy
Aug 31st, 2007, 10:06 PM
Good job Marion! :bounce: So now she is the French #1 ? :D

Super_Marion
Aug 31st, 2007, 11:44 PM
Top Babe. I iz Supa'Happy :)

excellent

Iceland
Sep 1st, 2007, 12:48 AM
:woohoo: Well done Marion, I am again in holidays, so I cannot elaborate on this much longer but im following her closer than ever! congrats on being FRANCE'S NUMBER ONE ! :banana:

Alizé Molik
Sep 1st, 2007, 01:17 AM
Marion finally confirmed that she can be a contender in these grand slam titles I believe, now if she gets close to beating Serena and then Serena wins the title, all will be well.

sharapovarulz1
Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:23 AM
I can't wait till tomorrow it is going to be such a great match and I truly believe Marion can win Serena :)

BartoliBabes
Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
i also believe that marion has a gr8 chance this afternoon.. c'mon mar, you can do it!

kueee
Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:57 PM
I won't be able to watch the match because of FTA being absolute shitheads, but definetely, GO MARION!

Hashim.
Sep 2nd, 2007, 02:30 PM
good chance for Marion ;)

Bероника
Sep 2nd, 2007, 04:17 PM
Bonne chance,Marion!!! :D

Zombielicious
Sep 2nd, 2007, 04:25 PM
Come on Mari! :bounce:

Zombielicious
Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:07 PM
Serena Williams def. Marion Bartoli 6-3 6-4

:sobbing: The tournament is over for Marion now, but this was her best result at the USO so I am happy. :)

Hashim.
Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:08 PM
she lost :awww:

but still well done ;)

Bероника
Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:11 PM
:sad: Marion but that was a respectable score against Serena and a good US Open overall.

Where is she playing next?

Poova
Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:15 PM
Marion has nothing to be ashamed of, she played a decent match but Serena definitely raised her game from previous rounds.

I hope Marion takes a couple of weeks off now. She's been playing every week for too long now. :(

Iceland
Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:32 PM
Serena's serve was too good today, Marion had her chances but well, she is not as experienced as Williams. It was still a pretty good event for Marion, it should put her on the right way till the end of the year after this disappointing Summer.
She is playing in India next I think, it would be good if she got her first title of the year there :)

Congrats Marion on this very good week as a top ten player, you could have gone farther with a better draw Im sure :hug:

Hashim.
Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:54 PM
:sad: Marion but that was a respectable score against Serena and a good US Open overall.

Where is she playing next?

Sunfeast Open India... :shrug:

missKittin
Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:54 PM
Well deserved loss... Marion didn't even try to surpass herself today as she did in Wimbly...

bruce goose
Sep 2nd, 2007, 07:29 PM
Unfortunately,the MENTAL approach is part of the problem;so many European ladies are intimidated by the aggressiveness and,most importantly,the INTENSITY of the black-American female athletes,and most all of them are incapable of matching their desire to win.You see it in women's basketball also,and it seems that white Americans fare much better than the Europeans in these matches.Perhaps it's because the white gringas are more accustomed to dealing with blacks in athletic competition so they learn to adapt at a young age.There are exceptions,of course,as Henin appears confident in her ability to beat either Wiliams,but Americans Capriati and Davenport have done FAR better than the European stars.Jen is 0-4 vs. Venus,yet she has beaten Serena SIX TIMES!!Lindsay has to adjust somewhat to the superior speed of the Compton girls;nevertheless,it's obvious that she's not afraid of them.One of the biggest keys to winning is to BELIEVE that you can win...this attitude,"I hope that I can keep the score close vs. Serena," just doesn't cut it!!Another European who had rare vigor was Steffi Graf,and it's impossible for me to imagine her merely hoping for a narrow defeat vs. Serena.You CAN'T be a champion when you disqualify yourself before the match begins.Marion finally broke through vs. Henin at Wimbledon;she should use that as inspiration when she faces Serena or Venus.

bruce goose
Sep 2nd, 2007, 07:48 PM
OOPS! Sorry to any Capriati fans...Jen has beaten Serena SEVEN times,not six.

Bartoli's Boy
Sep 2nd, 2007, 09:18 PM
:sad:

Poor Marion. I agree with everyone that said she shouldn't be ashamed. It was a good tournament for her, getting to the fourth round for the first time and getting to French number 1. :)

About the Williams sisters, she has not played either of them much at all, has she?

Super_Marion
Sep 2nd, 2007, 10:03 PM
We are all very proud of you Marion. You have made great progress this year, and brought to us much tennis cheer and happiness.

Losing to a Williams sister is, almost, excusable.

bruce goose
Sep 2nd, 2007, 10:22 PM
:sad:

Poor Marion. I agree with everyone that said she shouldn't be ashamed. It was a good tournament for her, getting to the fourth round for the first time and getting to French number 1. :)

About the Williams sisters, she has not played either of them much at all, has she? No,she shouldn't be ashamed,and I'm proud of her for passing Mauresmo as France's #1--but that's not the point.What is tiresome is hearing all of these bullshit excuses from Europeans when one of their favorite players loses to a Williams girl.They act as if it were some near-impossible task,like Britain facing the U.S. in basketball;) .In reality,it's the other player's lack of courage and resolve that dooms them before the match even begins.Perhaps the biggest difference is that the Williamses less-than-privileged upbringing gives them greater DESIRE to win.Grass is their most dangerous surface when you consider their speed and power,yet the diminutive Henin SHUT DOWN Serena when it counted most at Wimbledon...that's just one more piece of evidence that refutes the myth that the Wiliams girls are unbeatable when they're playing well.Hopefully Marion will focus more on previously effective strategies--INSTEAD OF THE HYPE--when she plays Serena or Venus again.

sharapovarulz1
Sep 2nd, 2007, 10:22 PM
You have had a good tournament Marion and made us all proud especially this year keep up the good work :)

Bartoli's Boy
Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:24 AM
I'm sure Marion went out there thinking she could win; the same with Venus at Wimbledon. I could be wrong, but the way she talks, she seems like the kind of player who thinks she has a chance against everyone.

Anyway, my excuse for Marion losing to Venus and Serena would be that they are overall better players, who played better than Marion in those matches. Not because they are black Americans. But I think it is fair to say that the top players in both WTA and ATP can be nigh unbeatable when in-form, for anyone who isn't also hanging out at the top with them. Justine might be able to really shut down Serena, but she is the world number one. Just because Marion beat Justine at Wimbledon, it doesn't mean Marion is a better player than Justine, or that she should be able to beat Serena easily. And Serena is only world number nine "officially", if you know what I mean. Marion just isn't at the same level of the Williams sisters or Justine, so she will find it very difficult to beat them when they are playing at their best.

That said, beating Justine at Wimbledon proves that she can compete with the very best on the right day, with the right gameplan. I'm sure she could beat either of the Williams sisters too, but you still have to expect them to win more times than Marion does. It's not a reason to stop trying, but I'm just saying that people here are being more realistic than defeatist.

I agree with you that Marion should just focus on what to do the next time she plays them. And just because Marion is not at their level yet, it doesn't mean that she can't get better. :) She is getting better and better all the time.

bruce goose
Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:44 AM
I'm sure Marion went out there thinking she could win; the same with Venus at Wimbledon. I could be wrong, but the way she talks, she seems like the kind of player who thinks she has a chance against everyone.

Anyway, my excuse for Marion losing to Venus and Serena would be that they are overall better players, who played better than Marion in those matches. Not because they are black Americans. But I think it is fair to say that the top players in both WTA and ATP can be nigh unbeatable when in-form, for anyone who isn't also hanging out at the top with them. Justine might be able to really shut down Serena, but she is the world number one. Just because Marion beat Justine at Wimbledon, it doesn't mean Marion is a better player than Justine, or that she should be able to beat Serena easily. And Serena is only world number nine "officially", if you know what I mean. Marion just isn't at the same level of the Williams sisters or Justine, so she will find it very difficult to beat them when they are playing at their best.

That said, beating Justine at Wimbledon proves that she can compete with the very best on the right day, with the right gameplan. I'm sure she could beat either of the Williams sisters too, but you still have to expect them to win more times than Marion does. It's not a reason to stop trying, but I'm just saying that people here are being more realistic than defeatist.

I agree with you that Marion should just focus on what to do the next time she plays them. And just because Marion is not at their level yet, it doesn't mean that she can't get better. :) She is getting better and better all the time. You've made your points and explained yourself very well,much better than most others...ironically it was Hingis,who has beaten each Williams on multiple occasions,who made the most suspicious comments five years ago--though she hasn't been the only one.After a loss to one of them(I forget which),she STRONGLY implied that the Williamses genes gave them an unfair athletic advantage over other players,as if Martina had been footracing a cheetah or wrestling a gorilla.There are also lots of bloggers who don't have the same even-handed approach as yours...thanks for sharing your thoughts.

UDACHi
Sep 3rd, 2007, 04:20 AM
marion just got overpowered today. she would have needed to served much better to have given herself a chance against serena williams. it was probably the best event of marion's summer. she can hopefully carry confidence into the indoor season.

sharapovarulz1
Sep 3rd, 2007, 01:33 PM
marion just got overpowered today. she would have needed to served much better to have given herself a chance against serena williams. it was probably the best event of marion's summer. she can hopefully carry confidence into the indoor season.

OMG I just love your signature :lol: (BITCH PLEASE!) Priceless!!!!

bruce goose
Sep 4th, 2007, 12:13 AM
'Bartoli's Boy' made some excellent points in his last point,so let me conclude that I'm NOT upset with lovely Marion:hearts: --just the result.A few years ago,you had to tip your hat to the Williams girls and salute their excellence,and they remain skilled players,of course.However,nowadays it's embarassing for the sport when the two of them,ESPECIALLY sleepy Rip Van Serena,can dominate a Slam.I don't like soccer that much(I suppose that makes me a traitor in Mexico),but imagine if Beckham,Zidane or Ronaldinho spent all of their spare time drinking & partying,and they only played once every ten games or so.Then,when they DID play,they scored five goals every time.Soccer would look stupid to the rest of the world if it were THAT easy,and that's how women's tennis appears sometimes now:( ...the sisters were raised in a religious cult(the J.W.s),and it seems to have effected Serena's mind a little worse than Venus's.When she's confident AND hitting her shots accurately,YES,she's extremely difficult to beat except for on clay.However,when her opponent is NOT intimidated(e.g.,Henin,Capriati)and starts knocking Serena's best shots right BACK to her,she quickly loses her poise and begins spraying errors everywhere...that's how Mauresmo stopped her at last year's USO.THAT'S when we hear her bullshit,make-believe excuses...'thumb injuries':lol: ,eyelash injuries,scary monsters who live under her bed...Marion is a talented service returner;if she can force Serena to hit lots of extra shots as Mauresmo did,she MIGHT be able to beat her next time.:)

sharapovarulz1
Sep 4th, 2007, 12:57 AM
'Bartoli's Boy' made some excellent points in his last point,so let me conclude that I'm NOT upset with lovely Marion:hearts: --just the result.A few years ago,you had to tip your hat to the Williams girls and salute their excellence,and they remain skilled players,of course.However,nowadays it's embarassing for the sport when the two of them,ESPECIALLY sleepy Rip Van Serena,can dominate a Slam.I don't like soccer that much(I suppose that makes me a traitor in Mexico),but imagine if Beckham,Zidane or Ronaldinho spent all of their spare time drinking & partying,and they only played once every ten games or so.Then,when they DID play,they scored five goals every time.Soccer would look stupid to the rest of the world if it were THAT easy,and that's how women's tennis appears sometimes now:( ...the sisters were raised in a religious cult(the J.W.s),and it seems to have effected Serena's mind a little worse than Venus's.When she's confident AND hitting her shots accurately,YES,she's extremely difficult to beat except for on clay.However,when her opponent is NOT intimidated(e.g.,Henin,Capriati)and starts knocking Serena's best shots right BACK to her,she quickly loses her poise and begins spraying errors everywhere...that's how Mauresmo stopped her at last year's USO.THAT'S when we hear her bullshit,make-believe excuses...'thumb injuries':lol: ,eyelash injuries,scary monsters who live under her bed...Marion is a talented service returner;if she can force Serena to hit lots of extra shots as Mauresmo did,she MIGHT be able to beat her next time.:)

Perfect points you have made there Bruce_Goose :worship:

bruce goose
Sep 4th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Perfect points you have made there Bruce_Goose :worship: Thanks,'SR1'...always willing to try to help you with that French if you really need it.You might not have the ideal blog name for a Marion fan,but you show your loyalty by faithfully following her.I've teased our lovely,intelligent Brit,'Super Marion',that Maria is NOT the stereotypical blonde model because she outweighs most of them by about 20 lbs.--and has fully-rounded,shapely buns that put stick-models to shame.'Super M' then accuses me of being overly horny and,of course,she's right.;)

sharapovarulz1
Sep 4th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks,'SR1'...always willing to try to help you with that French if you really need it.You might not have the ideal blog name for a Marion fan,but you show your loyalty by faithfully following her.I've teased our lovely,intelligent Brit,'Super Marion',that Maria is NOT the stereotypical blonde model because she outweighs most of them by about 20 lbs.--and has fully-rounded,shapely buns that put stick-models to shame.'Super M' then accuses me of being overly horny and,of course,she's right.;)

I know I get alot of stick when I go in my other favourites forums with my name :p
You are very true when it comes to Maria unlike most blonde models she has flesh on her bones and breasts if only very small :lol:
And for the record I am not being horny ;)

bruce goose
Sep 4th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I know I get alot of stick when I go in my other favourites forums with my name :p
You are very true when it comes to Maria unlike most blonde models she has flesh on her bones and breasts if only very small :lol:
And for the record I am not being horny ;) So,does that mean that you are un muchacho like I am or are you una muchacha like 'Super M'?You may keep your privacy if you wish.:)

Women don't need to be perfect to be lovely...Marion is beautiful even though she's much shorter than I normally like,and it's CUTE that Maria's breasts are small 'cos it makes her more human.I would SO much rather a woman wear the Wonder Bra instead of putting dangerous chemicals in her body.

sharapovarulz1
Sep 4th, 2007, 03:33 PM
So,does that mean that you are un muchacho like I am or are you una muchacha like 'Super M'?You may keep your privacy if you wish.:)

Women don't need to be perfect to be lovely...Marion is beautiful even though she's much shorter than I normally like,and it's CUTE that Maria's breasts are small 'cos it makes her more human.I would SO much rather a woman wear the Wonder Bra instead of putting dangerous chemicals in her body.

I would love to answer that question Bruce but I am unsure of what you mean? Un Muchacho or Una Muchacha? :confused:

Yes Maria is perfect if a little to tall to say the least!
And well Marion is just perfection :D

Super_Marion
Sep 4th, 2007, 05:21 PM
'.Marion is a talented service returner;if she can force Serena to hit lots of extra shots as Mauresmo did,she MIGHT be able to beat her next time.:)
Yes Marion does return brilliantly. but is it advisable to get into long rallys with S&V? I recall one point in particular at the Wimbledon final where Marion ran her heart out only to fire a return into the net and sink to her knees.

Does anyone else have an opinion on BG's suggestion?

I'm very very proud of her nonetheless.

bruce goose
Sep 4th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Yes Marion does return brilliantly. but is it advisable to get into long rallys with S&V? I recall one point in particular at the Wimbledon final where Marion ran her heart out only to fire a return into the net and sink to her knees.

Does anyone else have an opinion on BG's suggestion?

I'm very very proud of her nonetheless. We should still welcome the opinions of others,Super M,but I can tell you that this strategy works VERY well on clay.In fact,Serena gets so frustrated that she won't even show her face at a clay tourney any more unless it's RG.Even if it means using a defensive,moonball strategy that annoys the fans,Serena will eventually become impatient(THAT'S her BIG weakness),and then she'll try to murder the ball and will spray errors everywhere.

bruce goose
Sep 4th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I would love to answer that question Bruce but I am unsure of what you mean? Un Muchacho or Una Muchacha? :confused:

Yes Maria is perfect if a little to tall to say the least!
And well Marion is just perfection :D:lol: HOMBRE o MUJER...man or woman?...this is NOT a criticism of our lovely,shorter Marion,but Maria is NOT too tall.There's a gringo expression,"Perfect Kissing Height",and it's LOTS of fun to kiss a tall woman when you place your hands romantically on her hips and then turn her to face you:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: .I might have to borrow some money to catch a flight and kiss Marion when she gets her reward for making the YEC.:)

Super_Marion
Sep 4th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I'm 5'6"

bruce goose
Sep 4th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I'm 5'6" Just like our lovely,two-fisted French princess.:)

Bartoli's Boy
Sep 4th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Personally I think Marion should go for the angles more when she plays the Williams sisters. If you look at her Wimbledon run, the accuracy of her shots was what got her to that final, then she seemed to deliberately not go for her shots against Venus. She was hitting the ball back into the center of the court against Serena too.

I just think that her accuracy is her strength and that she should trust herself to hit winners against V&S, rather than changing the way she plays. Sure they can run down a lot of balls, particularly Venus, but it's better than giving them time to set up their own shots, isn't it?

bruce goose
Sep 4th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Personally I think Marion should go for the angles more when she plays the Williams sisters. If you look at her Wimbledon run, the accuracy of her shots was what got her to that final, then she seemed to deliberately not go for her shots against Venus. She was hitting the ball back into the center of the court against Serena too.

I just think that her accuracy is her strength and that she should trust herself to hit winners against V&S, rather than changing the way she plays. Sure they can run down a lot of balls, particularly Venus, but it's better than giving them time to set up their own shots, isn't it?Perhaps you're right,'B.B.';there's a school of thought that you ALWAYS play to your strengths.However,others stress that a flexible attack approach offers better options.This is based on the premise of attacking your opponent's weaknesses.If you hit the ball deeply enough,then the Williams girls are forced to go for low-percentage winners and their error count goes WAY up...eventually their confidence and poise will drop.

Of course,when they aren't playing at their peak then Marion will have more opportunities to employ the strategy that you mentioned...and they're not identical,either;Venus has better footwork,lateral quickness and technique while Serena is more powerful,has greater natural speed and is more erratic.Anyhow,Marion is better off with YOU as a coach than she would be with me.:)

Super_Marion
Sep 4th, 2007, 08:54 PM

I just think that her accuracy is her strength and that she should trust herself to hit winners against V&S, rather than changing the way she plays. Sure they can run down a lot of balls, particularly Venus, but it's better than giving them time to set up their own shots, isn't it?

That strategy makes sense against any players exept the Williams possibly. Marion is indeed very accurate.

However even for a good returner it must be unspeakably difficult to try control balls being fired down at you at 120mph. Even pro men would be lucky to get a racquet to some of their serves.

Also, the wingspan of both V & S is huge. It's hard to get a ball past them.. Short of broadening their end side of the court by a metre!! lol

But hey, i'm open-minded. You might be right BB. Just trying to get my head round it.

bruce goose
Sep 4th, 2007, 09:07 PM
That strategy makes sense against any players exept the Williams possibly. Marion is indeed very accurate.

However even for a good returner it must be unspeakably difficult to try control balls being fired down at you at 120mph. Even pro men would be lucky to get a racquet to some of their serves.

Also, the wingspan of both V & S is huge. It's hard to get a ball past them.. Short of broadening their end side of the court by a metre!! lol

But hey, i'm open-minded. You might be right BB. Just trying to get my head round it.If your numbers were reversed (5'6" to 6'5",e.g. Aussie Lauren Jackson),I'd be HELPLESS against you with your sassy wit and intellect.Then again,you wouldn't respect a weak,doting fool,would you?:D

Bartoli's Boy
Sep 4th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Yeah, you both make good points. It could well be that they hit the ball too hard for Marion to control it. :sad: But even in her own service games she seems more content than usual to just put the ball back in play.

And Bruce, I think Marion would go into a record slump with me coaching her. :p I might make her watch lots of Tim Henman tapes and turn her into a serve volleyer. She would be all "are you sure this is a good idea?" :help:

Super_Marion
Sep 4th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Just like our lovely,two-fisted French princess.:)
Isnt Marion 5'7"?

bruce goose
Sep 4th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Yeah, you both make good points. It could well be that they hit the ball too hard for Marion to control it. :sad: But even in her own service games she seems more content than usual to just put the ball back in play.

And Bruce, I think Marion would go into a record slump with me coaching her. :p I might make her watch lots of Tim Henman tapes and turn her into a serve volleyer. She would be all "are you sure this is a good idea?" :help:Well,AT LEAST you have a good performer in Henman.I teased 'Super M' a while back at how amazing it is that a country which once was NUMBER ONE in a sport has now become a doormat...imagine if the U.S. team couldn't beat Liechtenstein in basketball--and that's roughly equivalent to how far British tennis has fallen.'Super M' referred to this as 'Old Blighty':lol: .Since this is MARION'S blog,perhaps you could send me a private message someday that offered YOUR theories behind the collapse.You guys DID get a mixed doubles title this year...that's not a lot,but it's better than 'nil'.;)

bruce goose
Sep 4th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Isnt Marion 5'7"? Gee,I didn't personally measure her...perhaps she was wearing heels that day.:lol:

Super_Marion
Sep 4th, 2007, 09:41 PM

And Bruce, I think Marion would go into a record slump with me coaching her. :p I might make her watch lots of Tim Henman tapes and turn her into a serve volleyer. She would be all "are you sure this is a good idea?" :help:

Match point at the Wimbledon final summed it all up. Do you remember? Marion was almost pushed back and vibrating with the sheer force. She tried to control balls like that.. but omg..

btw, we'll miss our summertime "cummon" Tims. But it was nice to see that he his final slam victory was against his nemesis Tursanov.

Iceland
Sep 4th, 2007, 09:48 PM
it's always hard for Marion to play top 10 girls since she is not used to playing big events. I really think that her strategy will be more and more effective with the experience. It's how it worked to get the wins over Jankovic and Henin. She only needs more references to know what kind of tactics she has to use.
In the interview, Marion revealed that she intends to work a lot on her forehand, I can't wait to see the result :bounce: !

Super_Marion
Sep 4th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Well,AT LEAST you have a good performer in Henman.I teased 'Super M' a while back at how amazing it is that a country which once was NUMBER ONE in a sport has now become a doormat...imagine if the U.S. team couldn't beat Liechtenstein in basketball--and that's roughly equivalent to how far British tennis has fallen.'Super M' referred to this as 'Old Blighty':lol: .Since this is MARION'S blog,perhaps you could send me a private message someday that offered YOUR theories behind the collapse.You guys DID get a mixed doubles title this year...that's not a lot,but it's better than 'nil'.;)

Blighty is actually an affectionate archaic name for Britain. I think it stems from an old wartime poem or something, hence the sometimes coined phrase by Britons, "dear old Blighty."

bruce goose
Sep 4th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Match point at the Wimbledon final summed it all up. Do you remember? Marion was almost pushed back and vibrating with the sheer force. She tried to control balls like that.. but omg..

btw, we'll miss our summertime "cummon" Tims. But it was nice to see that he his final slam victory was against his nemesis Tursanov. Don't know THAT much about Henman except that most folks suggest that he's a 'jolly good chap'.He's CERTAINLY no McEnroe,and I mean that in a KIND way(the Human Being Department).

Like I was saying before,that's why Serena is terrified of clay and offers a sorry litany of excuses for not playing when the season rolls around.I don't enjoy WATCHING clay-court tennis very much but Serena's mentality is that she can't overpower any skilled players on this surface,and she doesn't have the patience or discipline to go through those longer rallies there.

Super_Marion
Sep 4th, 2007, 09:56 PM
it's always hard for Marion to play top 10 girls since she is not used to playing big events. I really think that her strategy will be more and more effective with the experience. It's how it worked to get the wins over Jankovic and Henin. She only needs more references to know what kind of tactics she has to use.
In the interview, Marion revealed that she intends to work a lot on her forehand, I can't wait to see the result :bounce: !

Thanks Iceland. That's a good point. After all, look how she turned around the Jancovic results, between RG and Wimby. And also with Henin between Eastbourne and Wimby.

Super_Marion
Sep 4th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Gee,I didn't personally measure her...perhaps she was wearing heels that day.:lol:

Stands on my Victor Hugo paperback. Perfect.

:)

bruce goose
Sep 5th, 2007, 11:10 AM
It's too bad that Justine couldn't have knocked off that shit-for-brains by-product of a stupid religious cult,Serena,one round earlier so that Marion would still be in the USO.Nothing against Venus,but HER presence means that we still have to endure the soundbite nonsense of the sorry parents who brainwashed the girls with that crap...at least Venus seems to have developed into a fairly classy young lady despite her warped upbringing.

As I've said,it's an embarrassment to the sport when you have a player who jerks around for over half of the year and then shows up at Grand Slams with a mentality that her physical talent somehow ENTITLES her to be a champion without effort,then gets lauded by the spineless ninnies in the TV tennis media.Then when she LOSES,she always provides some bullshit excuse rather than credit her victor because,in her fucked-up,puny mind,she DESERVES to win due to her superior athleticism.True,a champion hates to fall short,but they DON'T offer lame alibis when they fail to get the job done.Serena is merely a superb talent but,no matter HOW many Slams they've won,I cannot consider someone a "champion" when they are a gutless,no-account coward.Justine did all tennis fans a favor,and hopefully Marion will take a few notes for her next encounter with the younger Williams.For now,let me wish SW "Happy Trails" and I invite her to take her idiotic clenched-fist gesture and shove it up her thick 'tracero':lol: ...oh,and when you've translated that from the Spanish,pardon my 'French'.;)

Super_Marion
Sep 5th, 2007, 03:24 PM
kaaaaaaay.......

wow.

...is everything ok with you today Bruce Goose?

yes it was quite an amazing result.. and so also Serena's post-match interview, by all accounts

Super_Marion
Sep 5th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Gee,I didn't personally measure her...perhaps she was wearing heels that day.:lol:

Actually I stumbled accross this abandoned Marion Bartoli blog http://community.livejournal.com/marionbartoli/

Funny seeing pics again of Marion from 2 years ago. She looks so young... awww, just a baba :)

Anyways.. That blog says that she is 5'6". So my memory must have failed me.

*puts Victor Hugo back on the shelf where he belongs, and I dont*

bruce goose
Sep 5th, 2007, 09:12 PM
kaaaaaaay.......

wow.

...is everything ok with you today Bruce Goose?

yes it was quite an amazing result.. and so also Serena's post-match interview, by all accounts As for your other post,I'll enjoy giving Marion:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: whe she qualifies for the YEC even though she's below my preferred,ideal height...back on track,overkill always seems excessive,'Super M',but it CAN get people's attention.I can live with the fact that Serena wants to treat women's tennis like a joke by showing up only for the tournaments that'll bring her the most glory.What's MORE vexing are the psychological tactics that she uses to physically intimidate the European girls such as Marion.Even THIS would be semi-admirable from a strategic viewpoint IF the intimidator were a classy competitior...that's NOT the case.Women are virtually NEVER accused of cowardice,this is almost exclusively reserved for males.Yet that's exactly what Serena is:a bully and a coward.When things are going in her favor she's a fearsome force.When someone stands up to her(e.g.,Henin and a small group of others),though,she shrivels up and suddenly loses all of her fieryness.Now she's crying her eyes out to her stupid,cult-member daddy and they're fabricating excuses again(according to 'Ricky',Serena is 'injured' once more).Nothing against Venus--OR in favor of Jankovic--but it would save us a huge earache if Jelena won since it would get those cultist lowlifes in her family the heck out of NY.

bruce goose
Sep 6th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Venus showed impressive character in battling through vs. someone(Jankovic) who had recently dominated her;unlike certain other Americans(hint,hint),she's not just a front-runner...in my opinion,the winner of that semifinal will almost surely take the USO.

bruce goose
Sep 6th, 2007, 01:12 PM
And for the record I am not being horny ;)You could always change your name to 'sharapovaluvs_bruce goose' if you thought that it might influence Maria somehow...I suspect that she wouldn't be too impressed,though.

sharapovarulz1
Sep 6th, 2007, 03:03 PM
You could always change your name to 'sharapovaluvs_bruce goose' if you thought that it might influence Maria somehow...I suspect that she wouldn't be too impressed,though.

I am sure Maria will benefit from that in many ways! ;)

bruce goose
Sep 6th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I am sure Maria will benefit from that in many ways! ;) Thanks:) ...it would be LOTS of fun to kiss Maria on the lips in a romantic setting if she were honestly receptive to the affection,but she doesn't seem to be a very warm person.Perhaps that's just the side we see of her publicly,and she really is affectionate when she lets her guard down...who knows?However,I'm confident that Marion would purr like a happy kitten if she were kissed by a man who cared for her,and I hope that our gal:angel: can find this sort of fulfillment outside of her tennis career.