PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think is the most talented Russian player?

DEETHELICK
Jul 11th, 2002, 10:50 PM
There is such a strong contigent of Russian players on tour at the moment.

But who do you think is the most talented?

Lets see our contenders:

Anna K: Excellent mover, excellent volleys, but seems to be lacking singles success. Has defeated a lot of top players and has great shot making ability. Former Top 10.

Elena Dementieva: Again great mover, powerful and boasts one of the best forehands in the business. Also Top 10. Finding singles success again, and has a good doubles record too.

Anastasia Myskina: Lightining quick around the court, given the big names a few scares. Great backhand. Game seems more technically solid than the baove two ladies. Cracked Top 15.

Then we have the many other ladies, Nadia Petrova, Lina, Elena Bovina, Panova, Likhovtseva....

My person choice is Elena Dementieva. She knows how to beat the big names, and is built perfectly for today's tennis era. Tall, powerful and quick around the court, as well as a great weapon. With the right people around her, she is indeed Top 5 talent IMO.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 11th, 2002, 10:53 PM
ANNA KOURNIKOVA!!!!!!NO DOUBT

selesrules
Jul 11th, 2002, 10:59 PM
Anna Kournikova!!!!!!!!!!!

People forget how talented she is just because she's struggling right now. But Anna is :kiss: :hearts: :kiss: :kiss: :hearts: :drool: :angel: :lick: ;) :wavey:

ßcoene
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:06 PM
Anna Kournikova!!!!!!!!!!

But maybe there are other younger Russian, even more talented. The ones you named are not the new names but there are a lot new Russian. Let's wait and see who will reach the top.

-Sonic-
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:22 PM
I'd say Kournikova and Likhovtseva.

geoepee
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:41 PM
Anna Kournikova

Cassius
Jul 12th, 2002, 12:10 AM
Lina Krasnoroutskaya will be the top ranked Russian girl for a long time, I think. When she gets back to full fitness obviously.

ys
Jul 12th, 2002, 12:13 AM
There is no talentometer.. So I think that's a fruitless discussion. The one who has the biggest overall talent ( mental and physical ) will achieve the best results.

Cassius
Jul 12th, 2002, 12:35 AM
There is no talentometer.. So I think that's a fruitless discussion. The one who has the biggest overall talent (mental and physical) will achieve the best results.
Players don't always get the results that their talent deserves. Players get injured all the time, thereby denying them their moment of glory.
If Lina stays injury free for a few years, I predict she'll be the best Russian player.

ys
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:08 AM
Do you think keeping away from injuries is not a talent? I think it is a very special talent, given to very few..

Cassius
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:10 AM
Some players naturally get injuries that they can't help, therefore staying injury free isn't a talent.

Shania
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:11 AM
Likhovtseva...

ys
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Some players naturally get injuries that they can't help

Like whom?

Cassius
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:19 AM
Some players just get injuries which are not their own fault:
Hingis.
Lina K.
Both tripped. Hardly their fault, people trip all the time. It doesn't have to be some-one's fault. It wasn't Lina's fault that the Aus Open courts were to sticky, causing her to fall and damage her ankle. Ditto with Hingis' injury.
Morariu (technically not injured, but still, it's not her fault)
These are the 3 most recent examples that come straight into my head, but the list is potentially endless.

ys
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:21 AM
As one of our best coaches said, any injury is partly because of lack of fitness and preparation. Very fit and well trained athlete is much less likelier to get injured than unfit or tired one. Of course, I didn't mean Morariu, she is apparently an exception.

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:27 AM
Vera Zvonareva looks quite promising to me. AnnaK is obviously talented and Likhovtseva has had a great career also and continues to produce great results.

The question is: "Who is the most talented Russian player?"- currently, I would say either Zvonareva or Elena L- but the summer and fall should find some other interesting results!

BTW- The top ranked Russian player is currently Elena D, so we can't ignore where she is ranking-wise and what she's already accomplished.

Both Bovina and Lina have tons of talent as well! I really can't pick who is most talented right now- it seems like they are all waiting for a break-through!

Oh yeah- little Panova is always a toughie, but I wouldn't say she is the most talennted of the current or future group.

Will Maria Sharapova outshine all of these girls? Who knows?

Good question- I wish the TBE would send a reply!!!

Cassius
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:29 AM
As one of our best coaches said, any injury is partly because of lack of fitness and preparation. Very fit and well trained athlete is much less likelier to get injured than unfit or tired one.
To a certain extent, yes I agree.
But if say............Elena D, pulled her hamgstring when sprinting across court to get a ball, she'd have pulled it because either she didn't warm up properly or because she over-stretched herself. Either way, it's plainly her fault.
But, if she fucks her knee ligaments when sprinting across court, how is that her fault? You could say it's her fault for sprinting across, but that's the whole point of the sport, so that can be ruled out. Is there an exercise that can strengthen your knee ligaments? Not sure about that one. But if this does happen, she can hardly be blamed because her ligaments gave out can she.
Sometimes (for no apparent reason), shit happens.

THE NET
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:33 AM
ANNA KOURNIKOVA!!

She will come back soon. :-)

THE NET
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:35 AM
ANNA KOURNIKOVA!!

She will come back soon.

[/QUOTE]:bounce:

RockSteady
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:36 AM
I can think of a blonde, pretty, tall Russian with a huge forehand, solid backhand, amazing speed, and a crappy serve who hasn't won any tournaments.

Who am I describing? :confused:

Anna Kournikova and Elena Dementieva are similar in so many ways...

Anyway, Kournikova has the most potential with her volleys and athleticism and all, but I see Myskina as the one to be ranked #6-10 the next few years.

That girl is fast. And I have never seen someone hit such a flat backhand but never miss. She clears the net by so little but always makes it. Good stuff.

Volcana
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:40 AM
I leaned toward Myskina. Anna and Elena both seem to lack something mental. Not the same thing, necessarily, but something. Myskina seems to be sound mentally and physically.

ys
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:44 AM
OK, lets put it this way.. If I play tennis or football for 6 hours, try to climb some very steep rock, try to ski down the mogul run very fast, then I am quite likely to get injured, because I am trying to do something my body is probably not ready to handle on consistent basis. The same way with tennis players, it is just a bit more statistical. The ambitions and some other motivation ( like money ) makes them push their body beyond their safe boundary. If you try to sprint very fast form static position to the net, do it at 9 meters per second, and statistically in one of such sprint per thousand you'll get knee ligament injury. Slow down for 0.5 meters, and you might last 10000 sprints. It is just the same as drugs - we consider drugs something that enhances your performance but health-harmful long-term. This is the same, no difference. You push your body beyong health-safe boundary, and you can win significantly more than you would otherwise. Push you not, and you can go all career injury-free. Some players chose the first option, most of top players, in fact, and some of them choose the second option ( like Kafelnikov, Likhovtseva, Ferrerira ), they are never seriouosly injured, they are likely to go in history as underachievers, but they don't spent much time in hospitals.. That's a personal choice.

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Kafelnikov is probably not the best example as he has won his fair share or tounis and GS's? I wouldn't feel like an "underachiever" with this record. I understand your mention of Elena L and Ferreira though...

Candy946
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Myskina!

Becool
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Panova, well she is harmless for the top 10, but can win some of the players above her on rankings. Reasonable player, not the best Russian, but still considerable.

Kournikova, hmmm I don't think she'll return as her best form, she has talent, but she doesn't use it. I would say she is Marcelo Rios of WTA. Maybe next year, she can surprise me, but in 2002, I don't think so. She better prepare herself for the future season.

Dementieva, GOD I hate this girl, but she has a nice game. She's fast and her shots can hurt a lot of players, including top ten. Her problem is that she, mostly against power players, like Lindsay, Venus, Jennifer, Alexandra, tries to win her matches at power. And in the end she ends losing..

Bovina, I really thought she would be promissing. I still have my hopes, but she seems to be lacking big matches, and her confidence of the past, when she was arriving at scene is ending. Bovina still is a great player, athletic and has a damn serve. I still think she only have to show what she's able to, so I think she has chances to enter at top 20 in coming years.

Myskina, very fast, and an excellent backhand. I'd say she's the best russian now, without doubt

Likhovtseva. She sometimes comes at the scene. She's dangerous, a real dangerous player, but usually she's losing, and rarely wins a big match. Seems to be finally on great form, and I expect to check her this summer. When she plays aggresively like she did against Serena in AO 00 and Kim in Wim 02, always seems to work. She should play like this more often

Petrova. Yeah, she's got talent. It's really bad she's injured, but she really have some talent to present. I saw some of her matches, and she seemed to be only improving at her game, and only giving top seeds, a hard moment. I believe she'll comeback when she returns to the tour. Has good shots, and her deep balls always seems to trouble her opponents, like Venus in Goldcoast and Capriati in Zurich.

Lina. Hmmmm.. I don't know about Lina... Some people expected a good match of her against Hingis on US Open 2001, and all she could do was win some games.. It disappointed some people. She's got the game, but she looks nervous against the top. I believe this will end when she gets more experienced.

Others: Zvonareva: Yeah, she's only getting better and better. Kuznetsova : Never seen here before. Sharapova: Hm either, but accoring to Svetlana and Maria's results, they seems to have a efficient game plan.

In my opinion, all Russians have their talent. They're all dangerous players, and also have all their deficts.

That's my view

babsi
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Anna has the best talent gamewise

But a Russian with mental talent I can't think of one, maybe one will prove it to me in the next year sometime

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Anna does have the most talent for sure, its her brain that lets her down. ( thats the case for all our players really :sad: )

babsi ..... there will be one ;) we all have our ups and downs ;)
emotional you could say, some more than others.

When Lina is at her best she is really brilliant, hopefully she can recapture her game after so long out injured.

Just wait for Vera Douchevina to hit the scene as well as Maria Sharapova. When Vera is hot there's no one who can stay with her :)

Williams Rulez
Jul 12th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Currently, of all the players I've watched... (Dementieva, Likhotseva, Kournikova, Panova, Myskina, Lina K)...

I'd say Dementieva. Her forehand is just devastating when on... and that kind of forehand can't be taught. She is athletic and she just needs to work on that serve, and her backhand perharps.

Nimi
Jul 12th, 2002, 01:44 PM
if u will take Annas volleys, Anastasya's speed, ElenaD's forehand... & a few titles...

Sevenseas
Jul 12th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Elena Dementieva ! I would like to see her in a higher rank in the near future. :)

laj
Jul 12th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Anastasia Myskina is the most talented Russian player on the WTA tour currently. She has the WTA record for the player who served the most Aces in a match(when she cranked out 24 aces at Amelia Island this year, breaking Venus's record of 19 aces), she plays the top players better than the other Russians, and she already has a WTA title to her name, some thing that cannot be said of the more experienced Kournikova and Dementieva.

goshka
Jul 12th, 2002, 03:18 PM
I am positive that VERA ZVONAREVA will move to the top ten in 1 - 1.5 years. This girl has something what many of the current Russian tour players don't have - confidence. She has no fear to any of the top players. All she needs is a little bit time, and continue to work hard.

On the same line with Vera I will put ANNA K. I've seen her practises 4 years ago, two years ago and last year - nobody on the tour working harder than Anna! She just made great move to work with Solomon, and it was biggest hole in her tennis - no coaching! Plus, she missed last year and it will take 100 times harder for her to come back, as mentally it is very dificult to not react to all that buzz about every loss... Another thing I noticed - when Anna is not under pressure (and it is almost never) she plays great game - she beats Jennifer off season for example. Anna might need a little break through in her mental state.

Others - no good signs, Elena can't turn matches around, Muskina does not have it, Elena L getting old, etc.

I will see more young blood at US Open qualifying matches and can update you with my opinion, seems like array of new names is coming to WTA.

Cheers,
Eugene

-Sonic-
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:21 PM
already said my pick above, but mentally i'd say panova was most 'mentally talented', she must be to be where she is.

Beat
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Likhovtseva
Likhovtseva
Likhovtseva

I'm sad and it never really happened for her.

DEETHELICK
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:26 PM
I know Anna is a great volleyer, etc. but I think her overall talent could see her struggle in today's game. I know she hits the ball hard, but her power is not in the league of the biggest hitters.

I still stand by my decision that Elena is the most talented (at this point in time). She is finally reaching a level of consistency. Her power game is good enough for the top, as well as her athleticism.

Goshka: When Elena D and Anna enetered the scene, they too were very confident and just played their hearts out. But as pressure mounts on the big stage, it can turn the mentally toughest into the mentally weakest.

Good luck Elena, just win a title :)

the cat
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:35 PM
The most talented Russiam women and girls are Anastasia Myskina (WTA) and Vera Douchevina ( Juniors).

Jordan.
Jul 13th, 2002, 01:40 AM
Vera Zvonareva (of course)...She has made 2 SF's,1 QF,4th round in her first grand slam (Roland Garros),taking a set off of eventual champion,won Naples.These are out of about 10 tournaments. :bounce:

Anastasia Myskina and Anna Kournikova also...:bounce:

b8beEbLu3
Jul 13th, 2002, 01:43 AM
I think Kournikova and Myskina are the most talented gamewise

Williams Rulez
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:24 AM
I fail to see how Myskina is more talented than Dementieva. But everyone has their own opinions I guess.

V.Melb
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Likhovtseva - very very talented - huge under-acheiver.

katrientje
Jul 13th, 2002, 09:28 AM
I was really impressed by Zvonareva's game, she hits the ball really hard... But she must work hard on her mental strenght, she gets to carried away after lsoing a point and even started to cry sometimes sitting on the chair after losing a game.
If she can improve that, she'll be one of the best!

Experimentee
Jul 13th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Lina, Elena L and Petrova seem the most talented out of that lot. When I first saw Likhovtseva i was very impressed and she does play well sometimes but i think shes not consistent enough. But watching her play in doubles you can see shes very talented. I know doubles is different but theres no reason why you cant adapt her good doubles play to a singles court.

roscoe111
Jul 13th, 2002, 05:31 PM
My vote goes to Alina Jidkova. Good hands, terrific legs and a great smile!

Sean
Jul 13th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Anna Kournikova :D :drool:

LucasArg
Jul 13th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Nadia Petrova;)

fhkung
Jan 6th, 2003, 10:45 PM
the options seem to increase every yr, dont they......:)

AleOrtu
Jan 6th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Vera Zvoraneva

Gowza
Jan 6th, 2003, 10:49 PM
what about zvonareva and kuznetsova or douchevina, bastrikova and bratchikova or even kirilenko, linetskaya and afinogenova.

and the one everone is forgetting is sharpova.

Hewitt225
Jan 6th, 2003, 10:52 PM
I'd say Kournikova is the most talented. Shes a great athlete. Great speed, can do almost anything with a ball, and shes a shot maker. When shes on, shes on and its great, but when shes off, she makes some of the dumbest shots. Shes workin on it though and has a good coach. Expect Kournikova to break back into the top 15 by the end of 2003.

*JR*
Jan 6th, 2003, 10:52 PM
Perhaps just as Bovina will be "the Elena", Kirilenko will be "the Maria". And while I'll remain open minded as I said, NO WAY Anna has YET earned the % of "votes" she has on this thread!

SJW
Jan 6th, 2003, 10:58 PM
its funny how now Elena Bovina is the most impressive....she's risen so quickly

i predct Elena will cause an upset@ Aus (if not in the W/S quarter of the draw, ok well if not in Serenas) and will be ranked top 10 by November 2003

rioak1
Jan 6th, 2003, 11:00 PM
anna kournikova all the way...she has so much talent......i believe that she will shine...she already does...but she was born to play tennis...she has just had some hurdles but i believe she has cleared them.........i pray

smarties
Jan 6th, 2003, 11:12 PM
I would go with Dementieva cause she's the one I really had more chance to see play and she has the goods, it's just a shame she lost her mental edge

As for Zvonareva, Lina K and Kutnetsova, I haven't seen them play enough. BTW, goshka, Zvonareva has been seen a few times crying during changeovers and after a bad loss so I question her mental strenght

I'm amazed that there's not more votes for Bovina!? she's verry sound technically, verry powerful and verry quick for her size

kodeRED
Jan 6th, 2003, 11:33 PM
the truth is that dementieva is the most potentially sound player in this bunch of current russian beauties. I totally understand all the votes for bovina becoz she is infact a better player than my alyona but her movement is no where near that of dementieva's and i also think that injuries will plague bovina ( i hope not) because of her size, whereas dementieva has almoset the perfect mold for a long and prosperous career... but who knows ... one thing's for sure there will be a large amount of russian greats forever into the tennis future!

ELENA DEMENTIEVA!!!!

Tatiana Panova
Jan 7th, 2003, 08:52 PM
In terms of athletic talent they are all superb athletes, and Russia has a long tradition of producing elite specimens.

The best athletes are probably Anastasia, Elena D, Anna and Tatiana, although all in different ways - but they are all very, very fast and strong.

If you were to pick the perfect specimen for the modern game you would pick Dementieva - shame she has never really got herself a decent serve and a more penetrating backhand.

Gamewise as others have attested I would say Anna, although Bovina and Anastasia are coming close.

Ma. Estefania
Jan 7th, 2003, 10:38 PM
Bovina and Zvonareva.

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 7th, 2003, 10:44 PM
KOURNIKOVA

JenCpLvr
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:01 AM
Vera Zvonareva and Maria Sharapova seem the most promising..

Elena Bovina has improved tremendously in the past year..

Kournikova has the right tools, she just needs to read the manual..

It's a tough call.... But I'll go with Myskina for now..

Chance
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:08 AM
Petrova and Bovina have impressed me