PDA

View Full Version : Hantuchova vs America's 'Amazon Five'

Volcana
Jul 11th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Like most players, Daniela hasn't had much luck vs the top five Americans.

2001 Okla City SF Jennifer 4-6 6-3 2-6
2001 Wimbledon 64 Venus 3-6 2-6
2001 Toronto 32 Jennifer 7-5 5-7 2-6
2001 Zurich QF Lindsay 6-3 1-6 1-6
2002 Australia Open 32 Venus 6-3 0-6 4-6
2002 Roland Garros 16 Monica 4-6 5-7
2002 Wimbledon QF Serena 3-6 2-6

She's played them all, and is 0-7.

Which one will she beat first?

How much longer will it take?

RockSteady
Jul 11th, 2002, 07:12 PM
She's young, and most of those went three sets.

My crystal ball says she will beat Jen first.

disposablehero
Jul 11th, 2002, 07:14 PM
The scores and timing of those 7 matches suggest Jen first. Of course, we have no idea what Lindsay's short-term form will be like.

Dirty Sanchez
Jul 11th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Hantuchova is improving all the time and she will eventually (by this time next year?) have Victories over all of them.

At the minute she's no match for Capriati or The Williams sisters.

I reckon she could beat Seles if they played each other right now.

Davenport is injured at the mo so I can't really judge how'd she do against her.

If Davenport comes back at about 90% of the player she was when we last saw her I think Daniela would beat her.

She'll have a victory over at least 1 of them by the end of the year (hopefully!)

GrandSlammed
Jul 11th, 2002, 07:28 PM
lol... Davenport at 90% vs. Hantuchova?

Davenport in straight sets.

RAA
Jul 11th, 2002, 07:35 PM
She'll breakthrough against them soon. she's had some quality wins this year so it'll be a matter of time before she beats one of them ONCE.
But the question will be will she be able to beat them consistently...
if so, I wonder when that will happen

Dirty Sanchez
Jul 11th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Hantuchova beat Hingis fairly convincingly not that long ago so why can't she do the same to Davenport?????

hantuchova_rulez
Jul 11th, 2002, 07:43 PM
JCap 1st, but it doesn't matter because soon she should be beating all of them! And I hope these results become consistent too! Maybe Serena is looking beyond her capabilities now though, so a victory against her is the most unlikely, but who knows!

BigTennisFan
Jul 11th, 2002, 08:27 PM
She beat Navritalova. :)

earthcrystal
Jul 11th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Clijsters Fan, your logic escapes me.

Originally posted by Clijsters Fan

She's taken Jennifer to 3 sets twice, (once in the last year) and taken one set off of Venus.

Right now?! Monica just played her and won in straights at RG. Only Monica and Serena have never lost a set to Dani. So why is it you "reckon" she could beat Monica?

In any case, Jenn looks the most vulnerable. She's had the closest matches. I 'spect she'll be the first of the 5 to be toppled.

Monica_Rules
Jul 11th, 2002, 09:35 PM
I'd say Jenny cos she was 7-5 4-1 Vs her at the Canadian Open!
So close!

evadafan
Jul 11th, 2002, 09:55 PM
Her closest was to Venus, so I'll say Venus.

EVAspeed
Jul 11th, 2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by evadafan
Her closest was to Venus, so I'll say Venus.
i like this statement.

Infiniti2001
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:10 PM
I don't care how close a player comes to beating another--- bottom-line they still ended up on the losing side. Hantuckova has done well, but I think way too much is being made of her... If you take away her Indian Wells results , you will see that she's done no better than say Anna Smashnova and or Ann Kremer this year... Some folk are clearly failing to check her record...
Unless she makes a big turn-around, she's the next Dementieva- but Dementieva is hanging in the top 12 because of some okish results. To those who think that she's likely to beat Venus -- please don't forget that lovely 2nd set bagel :eek:

Raj
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:22 PM
I like HANTUCHOVA but since beating HINGIS in the INDIAN WELLS final she has not lived up to form.
She has had too many early round exits and been beaten by lower ranked players.
Hantuchova needs to improve her consistency before she can take on the top 5!
At this moment in time i think she reallt is the only one who has the game/chance to beat them.

saki
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:25 PM
The reason why more is made of Daniela than say Kremer or Smashnova is because she has so much more raw talent. She can hit all the shots, with great technique & footwork and is powerful with it. While her results to date aren't perhaps as good as they might be, the fact that she's pushing top 5 players to 3 sets is promising. Sure, she hasn't beaten them yet but 3 set matches show more ability/potential than double bagels.

And as well as Martina Hingis, she beat Justine Henin at Indian Wells and has two victories over Jelena Dokic. So that's four victories over top ten players which isn't bad going at all for a young player.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:32 PM
If the Amazon plays 100% no way hantuchova can beat them.

As for order of who will be first.

1. Jenniffer- Most close match and the weakest among 5 in terms of skill and talents.
2. Venus- Venus on a given bad day is defeatable by any in the top 20.( though bad day is rarely seen now)
3. Serena- Serena's errors are very prone to her defeat on a very good day for Daniela.
4. Monica- Her fitness and mobility is at stake.
5. Lindsay- I'm not being bias here but Lindsay is the player who rarely lose to a player below her level. Besides they have almost the same type of game which Lindsay knows how to handle. Lindsay only has problems with players with more power like the williams.

per4ever
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by QUEENLINDSAY
5. Lindsay- I'm not being bias here but Lindsay is the player who rarely lose to a player below her level. Besides they have almost the same type of game which Lindsay knows how to handle. Lindsay only has problems with players with more power like the williams.

AND with people who can make her move on the court.. Lindsay doesn't like to play against Justine Henin :)

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by per4ever

AND with people who can make her move on the court.. Lindsay doesn't like to play against Justine Henin :)

When did Lindsay lose to Justine?????

per4ever
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:58 PM
never, I think.. but they didn't meet since Justine entered the top 10. I remember an interview with Lindsay at Roland Garros. The first RG for Justine, she pushed Lindsay in the first round to three sets... she said she didn't like to play against a player like her ;)

disposablehero
Jul 12th, 2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Clijsters Fan

They DID play each other right now. As in maybe 5 weeks ago. Wasn't a big deal for Monica.

No match for Capriati? A year ago in Toronto, 1.5 years ago in OK City, when Daniela was just coming up, she gave Capriati tough matches. And that wasn't half the player who couldn't hang with Monica.

disposablehero
Jul 12th, 2002, 12:33 AM
Perhaps I should have read through to Earthcrystal's response before answering. Perhaps I should have known. :)

ys
Jul 12th, 2002, 12:37 AM
but they didn't meet since Justine entered the top 10.

Didn't they? I thought they played last autumn ( Filderstadt? Zurich?)

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 12th, 2002, 12:46 AM
little Vee hasn't had the results to back up her indian wells victory but she has no where to go but up. However having said that the girl is 19 years old, one year younger than serena who has three grand slams and numerous titles. Martina won grandslams at 16!

So really whats all this about her being young still? All the other girls are young as well except for jen monica and lindsay (tennis years).

little vee does have some notable wins over top tenners though. I mean justine just melted down into pudding.

moon
Jul 12th, 2002, 01:02 AM
I think comparing Daniela to Dementieva is an insult. After all, Dani has won a tier I. What has Elena won?

anyway, I see Little Vee beating Linds (maybe soon after her comeback) or Jen first.

ys
Jul 12th, 2002, 01:21 AM
I think comparing Daniela to Dementieva is an insult.

If only to Dementieva. Comparing winning very subpar Tier I to a total of US Open semis, Chase semis, reaching Top 10, Olympic silver, two Fed Cup finals and 3:0 head-to-head?

moon
Jul 12th, 2002, 01:38 AM
Well when you put it that way...not bad, but still, get back to me when she actually wins a tournament.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 12th, 2002, 01:41 AM
a player can be in the finals of every tournament ever and if they never win one they will still be considered a great big choker! sorry but in the final analysis a good showing is not going to get you into the hall of fame or in the history books as nothing but a joke at worse or a sympathy case at best, yuck.

lets hope she just wins a tournament before anna.

vertiklychalengd
Jul 12th, 2002, 02:12 AM
this is why jelena is betta than hantuchova, she's beaten monica!!

hantuchova_rulez
Jul 12th, 2002, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by cybelledarkholmexx
little Vee hasn't had the results to back up her indian wells victory but she has no where to go but up. However having said that the girl is 19 years old, one year younger than serena who has three grand slams and numerous titles. Martina won grandslams at 16!

So really whats all this about her being young still? All the other girls are young as well except for jen monica and lindsay (tennis years).

little vee does have some notable wins over top tenners though. I mean justine just melted down into pudding.

Her game is still massively improving all the time though, all I can say is that she's a late bloomer. It's quite funny that people keep mentioning her age and saying how young she is, but the women's game has many good youngsters anyway. Some of them might have already peaked, but Hantuchova, hopefully hasn't yet. Anyway, hopefully as she slowly progresses, the physical doesn't overtake the mental, look what happened to Jcap, martina to an extent and others too. Only way is up!

vertiklychalengd
Jul 12th, 2002, 02:27 AM
oh yeh not only has beaten jelena beaten monica, venus also! jelena is so much better than daniela

lemon
Jul 12th, 2002, 02:35 AM
.... never said Daniela was better han Jelena..... at least not that i ahve seen

RockSteady
Jul 12th, 2002, 03:26 AM
Geez, Hingis & Serena peak early, and now it's "normal" to win Slams as a teenager? :confused:

I don't think so. It took Venus forever to fill out. Daniela needs times, that's all.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 12th, 2002, 03:43 AM
I think martina did peak early. serena though is still improving, I mean she has just gone on a tear just these past few months! Last year at this time people were labelling her a has been choker, remember?

Also venus has no where to go but up. She still can improve her serve and net game. Jen, unless she works on her serve is pretty much at the level she will stay at. Ditto with lindsay, her game will not evolve but her attitude might which would help her game tremendously. Monica needs to get even more fit.

Player Breakdown:

Serena
Venus

Gap

Jen
Lindsay
Martina

Gap
monica

Gap
Justine
Kim
Momo
Daniela
Jelena

Couver
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Well she has the game to give all of them a lot of trouble. Who will she topple first? I'm not sure.

If she does do it I don't think it will be on hardcourt, maybe clay or indoors (carpet), or grass.

Jennifer may have had close matches with her but then, just when you think Jennifer is totally out she suddenly wins the match. She's a fighter.

Venus is also very similar, she can be playing horribly and then suddenly want to win the match and step it up.

Lindsay and Serena will be the hardest to beat IMO. And I don't see her beating Monica very soon.

But Daniela has so many areas to improve on and at this time next year she will be very dangerous.

Becool
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Sorry but Lindsay is way different from Hingis.

Daniela have better chances against Hingis than Lindsay

Jakeev
Jul 12th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Daniela is the ONE woman outside the top ten who within at least a year will be the next contender for the top.

She is a powerful woman already and when she gets a little stronger mentally and physically, she is gonna change the way the top five looks today.

At Wimbledon, that 6-3, 6-2 score may look like she got steamrolled by Serena. BUT SHE WASN'T FOLKS.

Daniela did have more errors but only two fewer winners than Serena. The hugest difference of that match is the amazing serve Serena displayed in that bout.

Her time for great things is coming folks; don't say I didn't warn you.........

Williams Rulez
Jul 12th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Hantuchova defeating Davenport with Davenport playing at 90%?

lol, have you seen Devenport playing at 90%? :rolleyes:

IMO, if she were to defeat anyone, she'd defeat Jennifer first. And that would be thanks to her serve and Jennifer's serve. She'd be overpowered by Monica, Venus, Serena and Lindsay. Evidence? Just look at the last few matches where she was overpowered and outclassed. Their serves are good, good enough such that they would be attacked, unlike Jennifer's.

And her past matches against Jennifer have always been close, so why not Jennifer?

Dirty Sanchez
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Earth Crystal, I'm judging on current form not when they played last year. Right now, Both Venus & Serena would walk a match against her (See Wimbledon V Serena).

Capriati hasn't been playin great but I still can't see Daniela beating her before she beats Seles or Davenport (depending on her form when she returns).

Freefall
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:24 PM
I think to compare them right now is a little unfair to Daniela. She is much younger then all these girls & it Tennis years that is HUGE!

If you round them off to the closest year & add it up.

Monica 9 yrs older
Lindsay 7 yrs older
Jenn 7 yrs older
Venus 3 yrs older
Serena 2 years older

You get a comdined 28 years older then Daniela!! :eek:

& since she's Brand New anyway, I'd give her some slack myself.

I think if Lindsay is rusty when she gets back & Daniela plays her she'd be 1st. But if everyone plays the way they did last time out. I'd say she'd have a 50% shot of beating Jen, Venus or Monica right now. Serena & Lindsay I'd give a slight Adv. to ATM, while Daniela is still young & maturing

adlysha babalu
Jul 12th, 2002, 05:35 PM
i think by the end of this year, she's able to beat at least one of the top 5 players..coz all this while her losses are all in 3 sets match..so not too bad!!

earthcrystal
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by adlysha babalu
i think by the end of this year, she's able to beat at least one of the top 5 players..coz all this while her losses are all in 3 sets match..so not too bad!!

Past 52 weeks:
2001 Toronto 32 Jennifer 7-5 5-7 2-6
2001 Zurich QF Lindsay 6-3 1-6 1-6
2002 Australia Open 32 Venus 6-3 0-6 4-6

2002 Roland Garros 16 Monica 4-6 5-7
2002 Wimbledon QF Serena 3-6 2-6

Um, those last two...they were only two sets. ;)
But I agree that Daniela sooner or later will break through in some of these close ones. :)

Note to Clijsters Fan: What is "current form" to you? Let me reiterate: Monica beat Dani in straights five weeks ago (is that not current?), and Dani took Venus, Jennifer and Lindsay to three sets in the last year. Your logic still doesn't make sense...however, you're entitled to your opinion. ;)

Williams Rulez
Jul 13th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Excatly... Daniela's matches against Seles and Serena... the most recent ones, do not have great scorelines... and those are the most recent matches... so if you want to base it on current form, go look at those.

King Lindsay
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:17 AM
We wouldn't even be having this discussion if she didn't choke in Toronto ....