PDA

View Full Version : New Haven: SF Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) def. Elena Dementieva (RUS) 4/6 6/3 3/0 ret.

~Carsten~
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:07 PM
great comeback Sveta! :worship:

:hug: Elena
very sad she had probs, I think it was her stomach.

.Andrew.
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Congrats, Svetlana. :yeah:

Great fight and very good quality match.

Elena :hug: Please be OK for the US Open and continue this form. :hug:

darkangel23
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:09 PM
"very good quality match"????
Did you watch the match?? It was soooooo bad!!! 2nd set = Big catastrophe!

Kworb
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:09 PM
It looked like it was 110 degrees out there :o they were exhausted after every point.

Dexter
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Hope Lena is fine for the US Open.

Btw, I know on-court coaching is allowed by rules, but for me calling a coach on court on every possible ocassion makes a player look like a kid in the fog. And Swieta is not a kid but #4 in the world. Just a thought.

tennnisfannn
get well elenaD, sveta better take up nursing or be a social worker, the rate at which she is having to comfort her opponenets is alarming.

njnetswill
Elena played so well in the first set, a pity. The serve. :help:

Viktymise
:sad:

Jose-Luis
Good quality match sad that Lena had to retire :sad:

winone23
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Congrats Kuzzy!

I hope Elena is OK for he USO.

sfselesfan
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:11 PM

Btw, I know on-court coaching is allowed by rules, but for me calling a coach on court on every possible ocassion makes a player look like a kid in the fog. And Swieta is not a kid but #4 in the world. Just a thought.

I actually think it's a good strategic move. It tells your opponent...every time you take a break I'll get advice.

SF

Jenny.C.Fan
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Excellent comeback Sveta, did really well after going a set and a break down. Take the title now Sveta :)

sweetpeas
Her serves where good,in the 1 set!!!!

~Carsten~

I thought the same, after Elena called for the trainer!

jonny84
:sad: for Elena.

Hope this doesn't affect her US Open chances.

It's a shame for New Haven too - its always bugged down by retirements.

I think now Eleni (if she wins) could take out Kuznetsova, but we'll see.

Shoulderpova
:tears:
Sveta, you have to win the title :fiery::fiery::mad::mad:

LudwigDvorak
Elena played godly in the first set. She did everything right, and Kuznetsova wasn't doing much wrong either.

But, well...it was pretty obvious by 64 33 30-30 she needed to break and get the match over with, but alas.

I'm not too disappointed, she had an excellent week...I'm just really scared Elena's not going to be fit going into the USO. :sad: What if she has another serious injury? Is she going to be okay?

Oh god...

Poova
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Second retirement win in a row for Sveta :shrug: Congrats anyway :yeah:

Get better soon Lena. :)

aceserverr
i'm so sick of these gutless wonders quitting in their matches
yesterday schiavone
now dementieva

xr6turbo
Jeez. Elena is so weak in the sun. It's just like in Australia, the sun come out and she falls over and dies. :unsure:

*Jean*
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Svety :D There were some amazing rallies...But Kuznetsova is not in her best shape! Take the title :angel:

aceserverr
you guys are so gullable...oh i hope she's okay..etc...
elena was on her way to losing 6-0 in the final set
so she quit.
she is not injured.
she is fine

Ellery
Lena :hug:
Sveta :yeah: Good luck in the final.

selyoink
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Excellent match. First two sets were very high quality.

I think the heat and long rallies just got to Lena in the end. With a few days rest she should be fine for the Open. I hope so at least.

laurie
For once, one of my predictions came right.

It looks like Svetlana was going to win anyway but of course I hope Elena can play the US Open. Looks like a strain around the groin or stomach?

I hope Svetlana can get the doubts out of her mind by winning the final tomorrow. I feel she's fighting demons after the 4 final defeats earlier in the year. A win will put her mind at rest.

Dexter
I thought the same, after Elena called for the trainer!That's when this thought about coaching crossed my mind... It looked really desperate to me.

TheBoiledEgg
better not be a stomach muscle injury :sad: :bigcry:
or else it could mean weeks out :( :(

Bероника
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Sveta :D This is not the way I wanted her to win it + I was enjoying the match.I hope Dementieva will be ok.

Now if only I could have my dreamed Sveta-Eleni final :hearts:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:18 PM
great match by both-hope elena is alright for the open, its good to see her playing top level tennis again.

good to see sveta recover from a mental wobble at the end of the 1st set, instead of a collapse like against golovin

hope she can put away the final womorrow :D

SvetaPleaseWin.
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:19 PM
great match by both-hope elena is alright for the open, its good to see her playing top level tennis again.

good to see sveta recover from a mental wobble at the end of the 1st set, instead of a collapse like against golovin

hope she can put away the final tomorrow :D

attis765
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Hopefully it took a lot outta Kuznetsova.Good thing Agnes plays later when it's cold(er).

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Elena didn´t fight today as usual :sad:

That´s no the way to lose a match

Natalicious
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:22 PM
lena :sad:

sammy01
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:28 PM
so she quit.
she is not injured.
she is fine

i have to agree with you even though i dont like to be that negative about womens tennis its getting stupid now, "oh i dont feel i can win this match now so i retire"! not "the fans payed there money its on t.v i should finish this match even if i lose"! so many players are becoming quitters why in the days of steffi and monica did they hardly ever retire (oh well there was that once but monica had been stabbed!)! so many of the girls are gutless these days you take your beatings even if it has to do with exhaustion or being unwell tough!

goldenlox
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Lena was tired or hurting. It was clear during the 2nd set that something was wrong.
But Lena played some very good tennis the last 2 days, and she will give Jankovic a beating next week, if she plays like she did when she was healthy the last 2 days.

Sveta is one win from a Tier II title, and with her USO draw, she's very close to being #2. She's a real threat to be in the final in 15 days.

laurie
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Lena was tired or hurting. It was clear during the 2nd set that something was wrong.
But Lena played some very good tennis the last 2 days, and she will give Jankovic a beating next week, if she plays like she did when she was healthy the last 2 days.

Sveta is one win from a Tier II title, and with her USO draw, she's very close to being #2. She's a real threat to be in the final in 15 days.

Ummm...Let's not get carried away shall we.

First she must claim the title tomorrow with a good performance, she needs it for her confidence. The US Open semifinal is a long long way away right now, one step at a time.

aceserverr
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:38 PM
i have to agree with you even though i dont like to be that negative about womens tennis its getting stupid now, "oh i dont feel i can win this match now so i retire"! not "the fans payed there money its on t.v i should finish this match even if i lose"! so many players are becoming quitters why in the days of steffi and monica did they hardly ever retire (oh well there was that once but monica had been stabbed!)! so many of the girls are gutless these days you take your beatings even if it has to do with exhaustion or being unwell tough!

well said.
fans like you are in the minority.
most are okay w/ players quitting in the middle of matches.
these gutless tennis players make me sick

laurie
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:41 PM
well said.
fans like you are in the minority.
most are okay w/ players quitting in the middle of matches.
these gutless tennis players make me sick

I must admit I thought Elena was acting like an old pro (at the age of 26!) when she called for the trainer, to break up the momentum.

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Despite some fine winners the quality of the match was rather poor. Mainly because of Kuznetsova who played awful for set and half. Her shot selection in winning positions... :help:
Lena should have won it in straights but just faded in the end of the second set and those double faults... well, nothing surprising.

P.S.
With such game Kuznetsova has no chance at USO. She is a perfect example of mindless ballbasher with no plan B. In fact, Szavay can really push her in the final.

MH0861
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Lena. :sad: :hug:

eugreene2
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Let's go Kuzzie ... need you to get it together for the Open. Step up & challenge Sharapova!!!

saint2
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:53 PM
so she quit.
she is not injured.
she is fine

Is losing set 0-6 something new to Elena ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: If she would be fine, she would play...I wonder why ALWAYS when player retire, some people are saying such stupid things...:rolleyes:

Uranus
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Oh, crap. :sad: Lena :hug:

nouf
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:55 PM
kuznetsova vs dementieva SF NEW HAVEN 2007
http://tennisvideos.fr/forum/showthread.php?t=149

faboozadoo15
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Too bad for Dementieva. This match was hers for the taking.
Not impressed with Kuzy really in this match. She's lucky she has a good draw at the US Open.

Hopefuly Szavay gets through and kicks her ass.

goldenlox
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Lena retired with nausea from the heat. It's too bad, she was close to winning this title.

Ballbasher
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Sveta lucky again :p Hope you can win it!

goldenlox
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:14 PM
This is Sveta's 5th final of 2007. Fran and Lena both retired, so she's had an easy week.

squig2k
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:17 PM
good fight elena, playing some of ur best tennis. hope you are fit for the US open :(

hurricanejeanne
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Congrats Sveta :)

Hopefully Lena gets better soon and adjusts to the heat/humidity for New York. She always plays so well this time of year.

Demska
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:49 PM
lena :sad:

she played amazing in the first set. her serve was on fire! but very very promising hopes for us open if she can play as well as she did in the opener. it was a long shot, but i could see her winning after the first, shame she had to retire :sobbing:

amazing week though lena, so so proud :)

laurie
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Some of these sobbing emoticons are quite amusing.

Aug 24th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Lena did so well in the first, winning 95% of points on first serve!!
then came the so famus DFs and her game started to collapse :sad:
hopefully she'll be okay for the US open

and those who say she retired to avoid a bagel are stupid...
what the hell do you know about players physical condition
when sitting in front of tv in your room :confused:

DA FOREHAND
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Lena retired with nausea from the heat. It's too bad, she was close to winning this title.

YOU CALL THAT CLOSE? :eek:

your vision is skewed

kinglear
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:16 PM

I'm still please that Lena won the first set. Sveta has been getting on-court coaching a lot this year. She's not the strongest mentally, but props to her for winning. :)

kinglear
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:18 PM
This is Sveta's 5th final of 2007. Fran and Lena both retired, so she's had an easy week.

Yes! I didn't even consider that. Lena really had to fight in her quarterfinal. Still, Sveta won and that's that. I'm just ready for the U.S. Open now. :bounce:

Topspin2
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:31 PM
:sad: for Elena

kinglear
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:34 PM
:sad: for Elena

Don't worry, even if Lena won New Haven, it doesn't mean that she would do exceptionally well at the US Open. I think her New Haven performance will inspire her to do even better at the US Open than last year. :) By the way, I just realized that today was the only hot day of the week. I guess Sveta had more juice left in the tank because of her short match against Schiavone.

goldenlox
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:36 PM
YOU CALL THAT CLOSE? :eek:

your vision is skewed
Lena was up a set and a break, and very close to a 2nd set tb.
the other SF is Eleni-Agnes.

Bolero
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:51 PM
It's too bad Elena had to retire, but if it was nausea from the heat than she will be fine next week. Her form this week looks promising, hope she will built on it even more the next fortnight.

goldenlox
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:56 PM
She's fine now. Her mom said she went into a cooled room and was okay in a few minutes.

MisterMan
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I think her New Haven performance will inspire her to do even better at the US Open

It's gonna be even hotter in NY next week.

She may just crash and burn again.

Josh.
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:06 PM
hope your ok lena :)

adrovi
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Sveta ;) ;) Good luck in final :bounce:

kinglear
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:43 PM
It's gonna be even hotter in NY next week.

She may just crash and burn again.

This weather has been so crazy. It's been chilly and rainy all week, and all of a sudden there's a heat wave. :mad:

Vamos.
Aug 24th, 2007, 11:06 PM

Interesting thought Dex.

I was having a similar though during Toronto, actually, about how Justine, regardless of who she is playing or her situation in the match, constantly has to shot nervous glances at her box.

It makes her look like a 12 year old on the verge of beating her best friend or something.

Thoughts?

blumaroo
Aug 24th, 2007, 11:55 PM
I didn't see the first set. But in the second set, Elena was way behind the baseline retrieving shots waiting for Sveta to make the error. Despite some nice winners from Sveta I wasn't too impressed with either. Way too many loose errors. Hopefully Szavay will win the title.

Dexter
Aug 25th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Interesting thought Dex.

I was having a similar though during Toronto, actually, about how Justine, regardless of who she is playing or her situation in the match, constantly has to shot nervous glances at her box.

It makes her look like a 12 year old on the verge of beating her best friend or something.

Thoughts?I don't like it either. She looks really unimpressive when she looks at Carlos after 7/8 out of 10 points she plays (I don't make any stats, but I think the numbers would be pretty high). I don't mind if players look at her box after a good point to find some more ecouragement, though... nothing wrong with that. ES commentators made a good point that most of women from the top do it and most men don't.

.:sk:.
Aug 25th, 2007, 10:19 AM
get well Elena:hug:

miffedmax
Aug 25th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Doesn't anyone in Lena's camp know how to deal with heat? She was done in by the sun in Australia, too.

She's very fit, but she obviously needs help with something because she shouldn't have to retire like that. This is another case where I wonder what exactly Mommy Vera does for Lena. Fluid intake, diet, even the choice of clothing (I think a full shirt like Kuzzy wore is a better choice on such a hot day than a halter top) can be huge.

goldenlox
Aug 25th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Trailing 3-0 in the third and deciding set, Dementieva retired after being tended to by a trainer after Kuznetsova broke her serve for the second time in the set.

"I just feel a little sick," said Dementieva, who dropped to 3-5 lifetime against Kuznetsova. "It was really humid and hot out there, we just had a very physical game from the first point. I think it was tough because we had such different weather the whole week. Actually, after I won the first set it was tough to play because it was very physical and hot out there. So, I just didn't feel like I had enough energy to continue to play."

A winner of eight WTA titles, Kuznetsova knew Dementieva was fading as the match went on, but she wasn't about to relax.

"I saw that she was tired and I knew I just had to hang on there," said Kuznetsova, who hit 33 winners compared to 17 for Dementieva. "I knew I felt much better than her. But it's always hard to play somebody that's injured or not feeling good, so I had to stay focused."

Dementieva, who always has to compensate for not having a powerful serve, struggled yesterday, as she double faulted 12 times.

"In the first set I was serving well," said Dementieva, who made her third Pilot Pen semifinal appearance and has yet to advance to the championship match. "And then when I got a little tired I didn't pay attention too much on my serve and I did some double faults. So I think it's all about staying focused and taking my time before I go on my service game."

"It was very funny, she came to shake my hand and she said 'I feel like throwing up,' Kuznetsova said. "I said, 'Okay, so go away from me, move away,' and she smiled."

SloKid
Aug 25th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I wonder where you were last year, when Chaky, that according to your signature rules, retired at 3-6 5-6 against Voskoboeva right there in New Haven. :p

UDACHi
Aug 25th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I wonder where you were last year, when Chaky, that according to your signature rules, retired at 3-6 5-6 against Voskoboeva right there in New Haven. :p

she was actually match point down when she retired. :o

LindsayRulz
Aug 25th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I hope Lena will be ok for the US Open next week :(

Lunaris
Aug 25th, 2007, 08:10 PM
whatever. i wish players would just finish the match when they get this close to finishing.
Daniela rest your 'injury' :fiery:
Congrats Lena!
Dani :o
Totally agree. Would 2 more games have killed her :o
;)

Beny
Aug 25th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Where are all those Dementieva fans complaining about players who can't just finish the match when they get this close to finishing? C'mon guys, only three games left. :rolleyes:

:cuckoo:

Would YOU finish the match if you were about to vomit?

It's always different circumstances....

(But you're proably not responding to me, I hardly ever complain about players...)

LudwigDvorak
Aug 25th, 2007, 08:33 PM
:lol: Yeah, I can be pretty biased with my favorites, but that's why they're my favorites. They get special treatment. :hearts:

Corswandt
Aug 26th, 2007, 03:02 AM
One tournament too many for Lena D. Nothing left in the tank after playing 14 matches in 4 different tournaments over only four weeks.

Too bad. The first set was something of a "what if" come true - "what if" Lena D. had a decent serve. But above all, Lena's sometimes erratic FH was firing. She was even winning a few quick 1-2 (big serve, big FH) points. Standard of play was good - both players ripping the cover off the ball but making few errors and playing some good rallies. Great defense from Lena D. - in her ability to hit hard and deep on the run, she has no equals on the women's tour - and even something approaching basic point construction from time to time.

Kuznetsova seemed gone when she was broken on the first game of the second set. But she had seen Lena's serve falling apart when she was serving for the first set and knew all she had to do was to sit back and wait for Lena to hand her the breaks she needed - which weren't even that many, since Kuznetsova, even though she's not the biggest server around, is (or used to be) among the best at holding serve.

And then that huge rally on BP that could have got Lena back in the fight for the third set, but ended up displaying her lack of tactical skills and poor shot selection - that was clearly the end, and Lena just threw down the towel.

Still, being outlasted by Kuznetsova has got to hurt - even more so for a fitness fanatic such as Lena D.

Corswandt
Aug 26th, 2007, 03:04 AM
I didn't see the first set. But in the second set, Elena was way behind the baseline retrieving shots waiting for Sveta to make the error. Despite some nice winners from Sveta I wasn't too impressed with either. Way too many loose errors. Hopefully Szavay will win the title.

Missed the best then (check the winner/UE ratio if you can find it). But as I said, it was "good" - not world class.