PDA

View Full Version : Mugabe took John McEnroe, Andre Agassi & Co. for lunch

African African
Jul 11th, 2002, 04:00 PM
IN DEFENSE OF ROBERT MUGABE

i am greatly dismayed by people like ys who know next to nothing about Zimbabwe and have a lot to say. i am from Zimbabwe and its not fair to blame Robert Mugabe for the lack of success in Zim-tennis

http://www.lvrj.com/lvrj_home/2000/Feb-04-Fri-2000/photos/sports.jpg

Mugabe has made it a point to attend Davis Cup matches and when he can't his wife is always there. He has also been the patron of the Zimbabwe Cricket Union for a long time attending most of its matches which are held just close to the State House - he can actually walk to this Harare Sports Club.

i will respond to ys in detail when i find time.

ziggy
Jul 11th, 2002, 04:05 PM
I LOVE THAT QUOTE FROM BOOKER T. WASHINGTON

veryborednow
Jul 11th, 2002, 04:19 PM
its not fair to blame Robert Mugabe for the lack of success in Zim-tennis

whoever the fuck said that is deluded.

no one has ever blamed the queen for the lack of UK tennis success ... pffff

irma
Jul 11th, 2002, 04:21 PM
I think YS blamed him for ruining the whole country and my papers say the same thing, to be fair!

ziggy
Jul 11th, 2002, 04:30 PM
YS is a pseudo intellectual poser who acts like she has all the f'ing answers and when she is called on her stupid comments she tries to act like she is too good to carry on a civilized conversation with anyone but her intellectual equal (Becca, Fignon and Disp. :rolleyes: ) .

Weevee
Jul 11th, 2002, 05:01 PM
I blame Mugabe (and the Europeans) for everything that's wrong in Zimbabwe! He has no solutions but hangs on to power! I think this is obscene!

ot1962
Jul 11th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Weevee
I blame Mugabe (and the Europeans) for everything that's wrong in Zimbabwe! He has no solutions but hangs on to power! I think this is obscene!

Mugabe has a substantial share of what's wrong with Zimbabwe TODAY. But that pales into OBLIVION when compared with what the BRITISH and White Zimbabweans had done to the country in the past.

Mugabe is to blame in the same way Yeltzin is to blame for bringing a lot of HUNGER to a lot of Russians while enriching the pockets of very few, Past or present Leader in every country is to blame for one or two issues in their country. It just happens that in africa, there aren't that much check and balances in the system, so it is easy for the leaders and their cronies to get away with it. I mean look at what's happening in Corporate America right now. Imagine what these people would do if they were in Africa where there are not enough checks in the system. Human beings are human beings.

ys
Jul 11th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Yeltsin, my dear ignoramus, was facing the biggest economical and political challenge that has ever existed in history. Yet, he ruled for only 10 years, and when he realised that he should go, he relieved the power right away. Yeltsin was democratically elected President in a society with all civil freedoms available.

Mugabe rules his country fo more than two decades and has no intention to go. It will rather be what is left from civil freedoms that are going recently. He is just another African dictator, hanging on his power, nothing else.

Dawn Marie
Jul 11th, 2002, 06:10 PM
YS is an ignorant sexist racist I thought most of you posters were aware of this??

Lol @Ziggy:D

African African
Jul 11th, 2002, 07:23 PM
well, it looks like i have sometime now, so i will just try to say something about the Zimbabwean crisis

Robert Mugabe has not ruined Zimbabwe.

confronting property and business owners with the intention to correct wealth inequality is not the easiest thing in this world. there has never been a greater darling of the west than Mugabe, except for Nelson Mandela. his 8 honorary degrees from western universities speak for themselves. there is no other person who has headed african organisations more than Mugabe - he has been chairman and head of nearly every meaningful organisation in africa you can think.

after many years of friendly deliberation with white property and business owners to address the inequality in wealth distribution brought about by colonialism, Mugabe finally decided on an open confrontation with them. and thats when Zimbabwean woes began.

just like in South Africa whites own property and businesses while blacks do the running for them. (remember the space tourist and the hungry Soweto kid, to get what i mean), another crude way of putting it is to say whites own these countries and blacks run them for the whites. Whites in Zimbabwe responded to Mugabe´s confrontation quite angrily, giving him the option to either change his approach or have him removed. up to this very day this is the ensuing battle that has plunged Zimbabwe into crisis and continues to prolong it.

[Removed by admin]

the die was cast and the only option whites had was to removed Mugabe. unfortunately for Zimbabwe the legitimate and credible opposition opened its doors for them - and got financing it badly needed in exchange for control of party policy. the party changed from a labour party to something no-one can give a name. its just difficult to say what it is, though it still calls itself labour party.

once aboard whites did not waste time on unveiling their policy - OPERATION ECONOMIC ANACONDA - an anaconda is a snake which kills its prey by slowly but painfully squeezing life out of it. (remember King George Bush II´s OPERATION ANACONDA in afghanstan). unlike King Bush´s white zimbabwean´s operation has a lot of colletaral damage and Osama Robert bin Mugabe is still using calling shots in Zim.

the opposition has called for sanctions upon sanctions on zimbabwe; freezing foreign aid; travel bans for Mugabe and his connections abroad, smear campaign in the media - you name it.
all is well with Mugabe but Zimbabwe is hurting. i dont know when this policy of burning the house to catch a rat will end.

the most desperate attempt of late was when the opposition leader went to South Africa to ask that electricity supply be cut for Zimbabwe - Zimbabwe get a small percentage of its electricity from SA.

in ending i should say, Mugabe is no angel. he has a lot to learn about the rule of law. he could get a few tips from King George Bush II. before he engaged in his direct confrontation he should have passed his own Patriot act. his Patriot Act came a little too late but in this end game its proving equally effective. after returning food aid from USA because it lacked certification that it wasnt genetically modified, he went on to ask all farmers affected by the Patriot Act to stop any farming activity and be ready for the deadline when his Polizei will come to evict them.

no end is in sight for Zim. its just like the situation in the middle east Israel- Palastine conflict. you cant praise either side exclusively.

THE REASON WHY WHITE ATHELETES FAIL TO HAVE MUCH IMPACT IN AFRICA IS BECAUSE THEY AND THOSE WHO FINANCIALLY SUPPORT THEM TEND TO POLITICISE SPORTS:

ys mention of Mugabe in an African tennis thread was no mere coincidence. the very mentioning of him is an indirect way of correlating the issues.

ot1962
Jul 11th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by ys
Yeltsin, my dear ignoramus, was facing the biggest economical and political challenge that has ever existed in history. Yet, he ruled for only 10 years, and when he realised that he should go, he relieved the power right away. Yeltsin was democratically elected President in a society with all civil freedoms available.

Mugabe rules his country fo more than two decades and has no intention to go. It will rather be what is left from civil freedoms that are going recently. He is just another African dictator, hanging on his power, nothing else.

You know what, i agree that Mugabe is reluctant to relinquish power. But to claim that he was not democratically elected is IGNORANCE in BLISS. Did he rig the elections? possibly but we don't have prove. Mugabe had been one of the leading lights in Africa Liberation (Something i would like to hear your views on). I bet, for some reason, you had never liked him, even when he was liberating Zimbabwe. Were you very happy for the poor blacks who were fighting for a chance to have a say on their OWN LAND??

At the end of the day, it all comes down to how matured a country's systems of accountability is. A lot of Leaders in the Developed world, left to their own devices, would love to rule forever but the system does not allow them to, and they are not empowered to easily change it. Unforunately, that is not as straight forward in the developing nations.

For your info, Yeltzin only relinquish power because of his FAILING health. He would have continued with some bit of Political manuveurings.

ys, I would like to know from you, your thoughts about Zimbabwe under Ian Smith (the last white ruler). What life was for Whites, and then Blacks. I get FLABBERGASTED how anyone could downplay Issue of Whites savagely STEALING the land of the Black Zimbabwean, and expect people to just roll over. God give me strength!!!!