PDA

View Full Version : Why does America like Maria?

JeremySun
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:57 PM
She is Russian and has a lot of Asiatic background. Why does America like her? They should be supporting the Williams. :mad:

kinglear
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:59 PM
She is Russian and has a lot of Asiatic background. Why does America like her? They should be supporting the Williams. :mad:

Because she's blond and white, somewhat attractive, and virtually has no Russian accent. Plus, Americans are suckers for a Cinderella story...then again, isn't everyone?

JeremySun
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Says who she's "white", her grand grand grand grand grand daddy is probably Mongol.

PS: I hate dragging this "race" stuff into discussion.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:01 PM
they don't support her as you think , they support Williams more which is normal .
here in Armenia we support and love her and all russian team , go team Russia http://smiles.al-wed.com/smiles/62/russiaC.gif

Petersmiler
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Can't they like both? There seems to be a lot of support for the WS in America. Isn't that why they're opening the evening sessions with back to back Williams Sisters?

I'm going to have to stay up past midnight to watch them both on Monday night. Can't wait.

TennisGuy21
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Because Maria is what being an American is about. She came here from a poor birthland, were there just wasnt much oppertunity, and she came here to find it, she did. America likes to be reminded that it is these stories that started the country in the first place. Maria also SPEAKS just like any native born American. I grew up here in Florida, and I swear she sounds like my sister.

Bijoux0021
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:10 PM
America doesn't like Sharapova. That's what Larry Scott would like people to think. I bet 99.9% of Americans don't even know who she is.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:12 PM
E) All of the above

Russianboy
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Because Maria is what being an American is about. She came here from a poor birthland, were there just wasnt much oppertunity, and she came here to find it, she did. America likes to be reminded that it is these stories that started the country in the first place. Maria also SPEAKS just like any native born American. I grew up here in Florida, and I swear she sounds like my sister.

when I heard her speaking russian, it was also very well. I mean my mum even said it.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:16 PM
I noticed that most haters of her comes from America , she's kind , I don't know why they seem to be the most country to hate her , may be cause she's Russian and came from poor background , I know Americans from msn , most of them watch tennis for the Williams , and we here in east Europe loves Masha a lot and all Russian players .

NeeemZ
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Maria is practically American. She has no Russian accent or any accent for that matter and she's spent most of her life in the States if I'm not mistaken. Like one Russian tennis player put it, she's a passport Russian.

Russianboy
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I noticed that most haters of her comes from America , she's kind , I don't know why they seem to be the most country to hate her , may be cause she's Russian and came from poor background , I know Americans from msn , most of them watch tennis for the Williams , and we here in east Europe loves Masha a lot and all Russian players .

beacuse she's more popular than their AMERICAN favs :wavey:

Russianboy
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Maria is practically American. She has no Russian accent or any accent for that matter and she's spent most of her life in the States if I'm not mistaken. Like one Russian tennis player put it, she's a passport Russian.

she said that her heart is in russia. she's only in america for tennis. that's it.

Wayn77
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:19 PM
America likes it's sporting heroes to get down and get "dirty" occasionally. Maria seems to enjoy a good scrap - with all the bullshit fist-pumps, vamos and 'come-on's, and she looks sensational on-court. It's why they have had soo much trouble selling Fed to the yanks for years - he just wins too damn easily.
Can you imagine the $ndorsements Justine would get in America, if she looked like Maria?

JeremySun
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I wonder what language she uses to keep track of scores during matches? Russian or English?

Aravanecaravan
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Speak for yourself. And don't palm your own belief system off on others.

Not everyone here likes Maria, but she _is_ a Great American Success Story. As a general rule, Americans love underdogs, no matter where thay are from, and how much more of an underdog can you be coming from humble origins in Siberia to the US with a few hundred bucks in hand? The fact that she and her family sacrificed a normal life so she could live her dream resonates with people--at least those that aren't conspiracy nuts like ..well, most of the GM populace.

It is a fairy tale that from such humble beginnings she became a multimillionairess at just 17. Like it or not, like HER or not, she is not only glamorous but truly inspirational, and shows that with hard work and a loving family, you can accomplish your dreams.

Sharapova is about more than looks. Kournikova's appeal never got above the superficial level.

As for the Williamses, they have their success story as well, and they have their fans. But for you to insinuate that Americans must cheer for American players--be it the Williamses, Davenport, Capriati, Evert, etc., that is an ignorant and very xenophobic argument.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:23 PM
may be they hate the fact that Russian females roles the sport , not only in tennis.

frontier
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:25 PM
They have the Barbie Syndrome.

Just Do It
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Because she is hot, blonde, white and rich :shrug:

JeremySun
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Every fairy tale has to come to an end. Maria isn't the poor girl she once was. Now she's just a marketing puppet for big companies who try to use her till she's 25 and ugly (pardon my language), then dump her.

lilimi
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:27 PM
i think that it's because she developped her tennis in US, her agents are American and their work is to make her popular to make money. and they succeed, at least for the media. the fact that she's blond and not obese do the rest. that was the same for kournikova.

JeremySun
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Maria likely donates more than half of her money to the Russian military, the nemesis of America. Ha! What irony! America uses its hard-earned money to support the military of its rivals. :lol:

Wiggly
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:31 PM
She's the American Dream.

JeremySun
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:36 PM
She's the American Dream.

Ha ha. That's dislluional.

LoveFifteen
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Can everyone please fucking speak for him/herself? Sorry, but "Americans" do not like or dislike Maria. Some people in America like her. Some don't. Some don't even know she exists.

Kart
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Why does America like her? They should be supporting the Williams. :mad:

Why ?

Russianboy
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Ha ha. That's dislluional.

so you cant stop to talk about her :p
looks like you are waiting for all posts here in this thread and when there's something that is positive for maria you have to write directly sth AGAINST her.
Is this your ambition to spend time in wtaworld? If YES :help:

brickhousesupporter
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:41 PM
America doesn't like Sharapova. That's what Larry Scott would like people to think. I bet 99.9% of Americans don't even know who she is.

i could not agree more..... Most of the people I talk to have no idea who she is.

Infiniti2001
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Can everyone please fucking speak for him/herself? Sorry, but "Americans" do not like or dislike Maria. Some people in America like her. Some don't. Some don't even know she exists.

Thank you!! Apart from hardcore tennis fans, Maria is just another blond to most Americans. She just hasn't had the impact that Anna :shrug:

kinglear
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Says who she's "white", her grand grand grand grand grand daddy is probably Mongol.

PS: I hate dragging this "race" stuff into discussion.

Oh please, you're going to tell me she wouldn't fill out "caucasian" on a form, etc. ? I know us Americans have different standards of race, but I think most would agree. It's like James Blake, he's white and black, but anyone would say he's black. Dementieva is white, Myskina is white. Even Marat Safin who I think has Mongol in him too (note his Asiatic eyes) still would be considered white.

Effy
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:53 PM
who cares does America like her or not :shrug: it isnt the most important issue of the day :p

sammy01
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:59 PM

i have to agree with you! i dont think shes that popular anywhere the crowd always suport her oponent! i agree that its larry scott telling everyone shes the best thing since slice bread and evantualy people are starting to believe it and want to see why shes so special! (btw this is in no way disrespectful to maria she is just overhyped, if she wasnt constantly pushed on people she would be like any other top 10 player who does well at the slams with maybe a few more for her looks!)

Effy
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:05 PM
i have to agree with you! i dont think shes that popular anywhere the crowd always suport her oponent! i agree that its larry scott telling everyone shes the best thing since slice bread and evantualy people are starting to believe it and want to see why shes so special! (btw this is in no way disrespectful to maria she is just overhyped, if she wasnt constantly pushed on people she would be like any other top 10 player who does well at the slams with maybe a few more for her looks!)

oh please :haha:

Effy
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:08 PM
crowd like underdogs, people dont like seeing other people doing better than they do in turms of money/success, etc. Its much easier to support poor Brie, isnt it? :D

sammy01
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:13 PM
oh please :haha:

well she hasnt got an amazing personality! she has a tendency to annoy people when playing (with noise, in your face cmons after errors and not being very sportswomanly) im not saying she would be unpopular but i think alot of it at the moment is hype but you cant blame larry scott for that he will probably tell you shes the best looking woman ever with the greatest personality if he thought it would make you buy a ticket to watch her! the womens game needs someone to sell right now with anna k gone and the william sisters too part time to be relied on sharapova is the obvious choice after that. im sure if the william sisters played 20 events each, per year, laryy would have them on everything milking it as much as possible but there to unreliable!

Effy
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:19 PM
How do u know what personality she has? judging by oncourt behaviour? :rolleyes: and of course Maria is the only player in the world who makes noises, screaming c'mons and all! sure!

Talia
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:20 PM
has a lot of Asiatic background.
What do you mean by that? So that means that Americans can't like Asians? Are you racist or just stupid?
Since when have Russian become Asians??? There are some regions with ethnically Asian people (like Tatarstan or Chechen region) but about 80% of our population are ethnically Russians. The influence of Mongol yoke over Russia is by far overstated and recent generitic tests show that about 90% of people in Russia (and Belarus btw) have blood group O (or first) as all other settled nations (Europeans as well). Other than that the majority of nations who previously were nomad (like Mongols) have blood group B.
And by the way Maria's parents come from Belarus. Do you know what does Belarus mean? "Bel" is the shortening of "belii" = white, clear. "Rus" is obviously shortening of Russia. So Belarus means "clear rus". It was called so because Mongols didn't reach this regious of Russia during Mongol attack.
Anyway for me Maria doesn't look like she has any of the Asian roots, that the fuck, she was blond when she was a kid!
Dementieva is white, Myskina is white. Even Marat Safin who I think has Mongol in him too (note his Asiatic eyes) still would be considered white. Even Marat Safin who I think has Mongol in him too
Dementieva has Baltic roots. Myskina has Uzbek roots. Safin is Tatar. Russia is a very big country... haha. I would say Maria and Doushevina have the most typical ethnically Russian look.

Back to the topic. I think Maria is so popular because she is on US media - on TV, in magazines, on ads and so on. That's the same kind of question for me as why Paris Hilton is popular. Unlike Maria she even doesn't do anything, she's nothing, still she is a star in US... Go figure!:lol: I guess people should watch less TV and read more about history, about different cultures, travel and so on. Probably the world will become better one day...

morningglory
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Well for her looks I suppose...
whydya think she makes 19 million $'s a year?

sammy01
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:23 PM
How do u know what personality she has? judging by oncourt behaviour? :rolleyes: and of course Maria is the only player in the world who makes noises, screaming c'mons and all! sure!

the personality she shows on court and in the press confrences! but we all no that people dont like the cmons and allez!

off topic but i love your avatar its realy good! :)

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I like her when she makes loud voice and say c'mon , can't watch if she doesn't make that ..
vamos Russia vamos Masha http://smiles.al-wed.com/smiles/62/russiaC.gif http://smiles.al-wed.com/smiles/62/russiaC.gifhttp://smiles.al-wed.com/smiles/62/russiaC.gif http://smiles.al-wed.com/smiles/62/russiaC.gif

Effy
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:27 PM
the personality she shows on court and in the press confrences! but we all no that people dont like the cmons and allez!

off topic but i love your avatar its realy good! :)

thx about my avie :p

but i disagree about personality showing on court! i had a teacher at school who was a disaster, bitching all the time and making students cry but she was a sweetheart off school ;)

Effy
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:29 PM
if people think about her as a bitch and evil coz of her noise or c'mons its just ridiculous

sammy01
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:32 PM
if people think about her as a bitch and evil coz of her noise or c'mons its just ridiculous

i dont think people think shes a bitch coming from a none fan prespective i think its much easier to like say lena d as she has a sweet personality on court and is a real trier! its harder to warm to sharapova as shes cold and harsh and rarely smiles on court!

xan
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:35 PM
America likes it's sporting heroes to get down and get "dirty" occasionally. Maria seems to enjoy a good scrap - with all the bullshit fist-pumps, vamos and 'come-on's, and she looks sensational on-court. It's why they have had soo much trouble selling Fed to the yanks for years - he just wins too damn easily.
Can you imagine the $ndorsements Justine would get in America, if she looked like Maria?

Good points. People like a player who is committed, has great strokes and is fun to watch. Maria's looks are important in the endorsement market - but so too is her personality, which is one reason she gets more notice than say, Dementieva.

Effy
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:44 PM
i dont think people think shes a bitch coming from a none fan prespective i think its much easier to like say lena d as she has a sweet personality on court and is a real trier! its harder to warm to sharapova as shes cold and harsh and rarely smiles on court!

its sport! U have to be tough, strong not all sweet or smth to be successful.

Leo_DFP
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Have to be honest - it's just a myth. America does NOT love Maria. Most people don't know her. And at the US Open, most people don't love her. She didn't create near as much of a mob at the practice courts as beloved enigma/rock star Rafael Nadal, or as much of an audience as Federer, Roddick, or the Williams. She wasn't very friendly to us fans and barely signed for anyone. And people were booing her. Also, you can hear at tournaments around the world, crowds love cheering for her opponents. Whether it's Petrova at the US Open or Schnyder at the French, etc., she's not actually that big a fan favorite.

And as for the language question, Yuri always speaks to her in English during practice sessions. She barely uses Russian.

xan
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Have to be honest - it's just a myth. America does NOT love Maria. Most people don't know her. And at the US Open, most people don't love her. She didn't create near as much of a mob at the practice courts as beloved enigma/rock star Rafael Nadal, or as much of an audience as Federer, Roddick, or the Williams. She wasn't very friendly to us fans and barely signed for anyone. And people were booing her. Also, you can hear at tournaments around the world, crowds love cheering for her opponents. Whether it's Petrova at the US Open or Schnyder at the French, etc., she's not actually that big a fan favorite.

Funny then, how her matches are always the ones with the biggest crowds, and she gets all these endorsements and photo shoots.

Effy
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:07 PM

And as for the language question, Yuri always speaks to her in English during practice sessions. She barely uses Russian.

Yuri speaks with awful russian accent :p and Masha speaks Russian quite well.

and dont speak for all Americans please, there r fans and non-fans of each player in every country

Effy
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Funny then, how her matches are always the ones with the biggest crowds, and she gets all these endorsements and photo shoots.

exactly!

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:11 PM
okay it's pretty obvious that in US you most don't like her , but please you don't know the other countries , in Armenia here we love her so much , and in Russia her country and she has fans allover the world.

woosey
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:11 PM

if she were actually more popular, then it would at least show up in the television ratings. the highest television ratings of tennis matches (on espn and cbs) in the past few decades involved at least one williams sister.

ask a tennis promoter which player(s) gets nontennis and tennis fans to the stadium. i'll be that the overwhelming majority will say venus and serena. it breaks their hearts when the ws don't show for tournaments.

sammy01
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:13 PM

i think venus and serena pull bigger crowds but there so part time!

Effy
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:14 PM
if she were actually more popular, then it would at least show up in the television ratings. the highest television ratings of tennis matches (on espn and cbs) in the past few decades involved at least one williams sister.

ask a tennis promoter which player(s) gets nontennis and tennis fans to the stadium. i'll be that the overwhelming majority will say venus and serena. it breaks their hearts when the ws don't show for tournaments.

not shocking that in the USA WS r more popular

stickwitju(ju)
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Cos she's blonde. Duh. :rolleyes:

Effy
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Cos she's blonde. Duh. :rolleyes:

is she? :eek: original statement

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:16 PM

yeah definetlly Willaims're more popular in America , they're Americans , but he means the world , as an example in east europe here she's the most popular as all Russian players .

nelsondan
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Britney Spears-----America cannot really take Maria very seriously until she has been busted for drugs, arrested for drunk driving, spent 82 minutes in jail while being pregnant, and has a few u-tubes available having sex (shreiking or silent). If she could develop anorexia, and get her fat ass down to 110 pounds, or maybe stop working out so much and put 30 extra pounds on her skinny little rear end, that could help.

sammy01
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:20 PM
yeah definetlly Willaims're more popular in America , they're Americans , but he means the world , as an example in east europe here she's the most popular as all Russian players .

but when you talk about the world id say australia, the williams are more popular as are they in the uk, the french well they hate anyone that isnt french (even momo and pierce have been booed there!). and they are alot more popular in the US and these are the 4 parts of the world were the slams are held!

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:22 PM
ohh nelsondan , you're so funny , why you like these stories in America .

alias
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Back to the topic. I think Maria is so popular because she is on US media - on TV, in magazines, on ads and so on. That's the same kind of question for me as why Paris Hilton is popular. Unlike Maria she even doesn't do anything, she's nothing, still she is a star in US... Go figure!:lol: I guess people should watch less TV and read more about history, about different cultures, travel and so on. Probably the world will become better one day...

True, she has the largest sports agency marketing her. Plus she's a winner, young, pretty and has a safe personality. :)

stickwitju(ju)
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:26 PM
is she? :eek: original statement

Como se dice "duh" en espanol? :p

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:28 PM
but when you talk about the world id say australia, the williams are more popular as are they in the uk, the french well they hate anyone that isnt french (even momo and pierce have been booed there!). and they are alot more popular in the US and these are the 4 parts of the world were the slams are held!

she's loved in Russia and the former Soviet regions , that's enough for her .
plus she has fans in the rest of the world , it's not important she has less or more fans than Williams. and we don't hate Williams cause we respect every player , we just love Russians more and Masha more and more cause she took Wimbledon and she proves that each one with hard work could reach high , and cause she never forget to thank God .....

nelsondan
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:29 PM
ohh nelsondan , you're so funny , why you like these stories in America .

Actually, I admire maria so much. I have seen very few women from any nation to compare. She is gifted with athletic ability, and good looks---and instead of squandering those gifts, she works hard at making something constructive of them. 2 grand slams, many millions of commercial endorsement money, a reasonable level of respect for her parents, and a concern for what is going on in the world---talking at the United nations---and she is not yet 21!

But basically I am a superficial person who simply loves her long legs(and all the rest), and the humor and details we learn from her in her doodles.

misael
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I don't know, everyone that I know that loves tennis, and I know alot of people, dislike her.I don't hate her, but i usually route for the other player.

treufreund
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:35 PM
I don't love her nor do I hate her. In fact, I have never met her. ;)

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:35 PM
thanks nelsondan for cheering for Masha .

sharafann
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:46 PM
i could not agree more..... Most of the people I talk to have no idea who she is.
I could not disagree more..that's sooooo not truee:o ..maria is very popular

sharafann
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I don't know, everyone that I know that loves tennis, and I know alot of people, dislike her.I don't hate her, but i usually route for the other player.
that's ok..but other people like bijoux(and others) HATEEE her so muchhh..did she kill someone??:rolleyes:

Effy
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:49 PM
that's ok..but other people like bijoux(and others) HATEEE her so muchhh..did she kill someone??:rolleyes:

nah, she is successful. Thats enough for people to hate her ;)

sharafann
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:11 PM
nah, she is successful. Thats enough for people to hate her ;)
and pretty also..that's a very important factor too. That's why they don't hate justine as much...IS THAT RIGHT BIJOUX OR GOLDENSOMETHING(I don't remember his username)??

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:50 PM

u dont have to be generally well liked to get all that.

her matches have the biggest crowds because the people know she can give a good match and she shows a lot of fight but that doesnt mean people want her to win. In fact, people may want to go to see her lose, hopefully...

she may also get a lot of endorsements and photo shoots because advertisers/endorsers know that just because she's blonde and beautiful she'll get a lot of attention, especially from casual tennis fans and non-tennis fans, but that doesnt mean America as a whole likes her.

but I happen to think Maria is cool, but I think its really a bad assumption to say America likes Maria. i think she has a lot of fans but she also has a lot of haters or people who are tired of her.

TKane
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Goldenlox is the name you are trying to recall so hard ;)

But than, you know... what does that 'success' mean? We all die, rich and poor alike :p Do you seriousely suppose all people who don't like Sharapova are envy to her? Phew. :p

They just have another opinion, and when you fans start to praise your idol, they may comment it. Like many 'pova fans are always ready to bash Williams fans and so on... :D

Just take it easy, and it all be ok :)

marycarillosucks
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:01 PM
like it or not, there is a racial element to Sharapova's marketing. She may be Russian on paper, but she is still America's surrogate white women's tennis darling. The contrast with the Williams is never stated but it is definitely there.

sweetpeas
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:05 PM
sHE NOT amERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!Like and love are two different things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ImaVeggie
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Are tennis fans only supposed to like those players from our own country? I think not.

We like who we like for our own reasons and should not have to justify those reasons or be criticized for liking who we do.

sweetpeas
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:10 PM
cause she never forget to thank God .....

I could be wrong,but i never her Maria thank God?

clementine
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:19 PM
but I happen to think Maria is cool, but I think its really a bad assumption to say America likes Maria. i think she has a lot of fans but she also has a lot of haters or people who are tired of her.
Do you really think ESPN would play so many of Maria's matches if she WEREN'T popular? There's a reason why Sharapova and the WS are in heavy rotation on TV: because they attract the most viewers.

As for the fact that she attracts a lot of haters, most popular players do. It comes with the territory and it's a sign of success.

As for people who claim there's a racial element to Sharapova, I agree. Many WS fans here still lash out at the pretty white blonde girl. They think Sharapova is usurping or "stealing" attention away from the WS, which isn't true at all. There is room for everybody on the star podium, and it's good for tennis to have them both.

Poor Maria. She's so unpopular :lol:

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=207187&cl=3793876&ch=741176&src=sports

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Do you really think ESPN would play so many of Maria's matches if she WEREN'T popular? There's a reason why Sharapova and the WS are in heavy rotation on TV: because they attract the most viewers.

As for the fact that she attracts a lot of haters, most popular players do. It comes with the territory and it's a sign of success.

As for people who claim there's a racial element to Sharapova, I agree. Many WS fans here still lash out at the pretty white blonde girl. They think Sharapova is usurping or "stealing" attention away from the WS, which isn't true at all. There is room for everybody on the star podium, and it's good for tennis to have them both.

obviously u didnt even read what you quoted. :weirdo:

TaxPower
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:45 PM
because she has an american metality

Dawn Marie
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:55 PM
America really doesn't knw Sharapova.

"Corporate White America" love Sharapova because she is (1) White. (2)Blonde (3) Attractive enough in her euro looks to sell products to millions of people who feel that White and Blonde are superior to tan/dark or ugly.

Sex sells, but she is WHITE first and that is why she is popular in corporate America. US Open again gave her an easy draw to a final.

I would rather see her lose than Venus or Serena win. My personal goal this year is to see her lose. I want nothing more than to see White America piss in their pants. :-)

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:16 PM

"Corporate White America" love Sharapova because she is (1) White. (2)Blonde (3) Attractive enough in her euro looks to sell products to millions of people who feel that White and Blonde are superior to tan/dark or ugly.

Sex sells, but she is WHITE first and that is why she is popular in corporate America. US Open again gave her an easy draw to a final.

I would rather see her lose than Venus or Serena win. My personal goal this year is to see her lose. I want nothing more than to see White America piss in their pants. :-)

why are you saying these words , what did she make to write that , I 'm not American and don't live there , but we here in east europe cheers for her and all Russians , I think it's normal , and also definetlly she has fans in another areas like America ,that's normal too
you say white cheers for her and not for Williams , but you do the same when you cheers for Williams and not for Masha just because she's blonde,
and I don't get why you still in America speak about raciests while we in 2007 and so clear no raciests now ,
we shall not look at any player skin .

sweetpeas
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:18 PM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW

sweetpeas
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:21 PM
don't get why you still in America speak about raciests while we in 2007 and so clear no raciests

Your joking,right?:sad: :fiery: :mad:

Mikey B
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:22 PM

you cant say things like that, its racist.. if i said i want serena or venus to lose so that BLACK america would 'piss in their pants' it wouldnt be tolerated so neither is this...

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:28 PM
don't get why you still in America speak about raciests while we in 2007 and so clear no raciests

Your joking,right?:sad: :fiery: :mad:

no , I'm from Armenia (don't lough), but also I have tv and net , world changed a lot from the past .

TKane
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Well, that 'political correctness' on TV does not mean that racism or nazism belongs to the past. Sadly, it's still here.

---

Hey, @Sweet Cleopatra, you like to generalise too, right? ;) not 'all' russians like Maria :)

Emina.
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:47 PM
and pretty also..that's a very important factor too. That's why they don't hate justine as much...IS THAT RIGHT BIJOUX OR GOLDENSOMETHING(I don't remember his username)??

you are right but leave Goldenlox out of this and dont compare her to Bijoux.

Effy
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:51 PM

i feel sorry for "people" like u, poor soul :awww:

Russianboy
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:54 PM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW

better you go to a doctor :tape: how much can a person hate an other person :eek: You are disgusting. :wavey: lol

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:57 PM
c'mon people , forget all that and let's cheer for the player we like without hurting others .......

TKane
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:03 PM
c'mon people , forget all that and let's cheer for the player we like without hurting others .......

Aye, @Sweet Cleopatra, i second that! :)

---

P.S. Brie is not poor ;) She's rich actually, or at least wealthy. And she is nice. That last one is good enough for me to support her :p

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I wish all players can win so we all happy , but this couldn't happen , c'mon people we must love all people , and the players all of them are making their best ....

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Because she's blond and white, somewhat attractive, and virtually has no Russian accent. Plus, Americans are suckers for a Cinderella story...then again, isn't everyone?

im african american and i support venus and sharapova and it has nothing to do with her being blonde. part of the reason i like her is because i tend to like people who so many hate despite the fact that they have never even met her and the fact that so many people hated her when she was a tennis is astounding to me. i also like to watch her play. she much more entertaining to someone who can serve for shit on a regular basis and hands away service games like lolipops with dfs. No matter what country you live in you should be able to like people from other countries although i think you should support at least one of your countrymen or women and Sharapova is practically American as is Tursunov the only difference is he actually applied for citizenship because he realizes how great this country is unless liek myself your part of a minority then it gets a little difficult:lol:

Giovanna
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:29 PM
In my opinion America just love Maria because when she became famous (since 2004) the big american names wasn't playing such a good tennis (both williams,davenport...) and she grew up in the US...so I think it is this

canuckfan
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:36 PM

So much hate and rage :sad:

:crazy:

Mikey B
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:38 PM
i think they love her at the moment because she's the champion of their grand slam! its the same with any grand slam champion.. the aussie's love serena because she's won their slam 3 times, wimbledon love any of their former champions, the french love justine... its just grand slam politics! lol!

ryan09
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:42 PM
:weirdo:

Americans support whoever grabs their fancy and Maria is quite popular in the states. The WS will always have their supporters in the US, it doesn't mean that people can't root for both the WS and other players.

This is not true. People hardly know who she is in America.

ryan09
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:57 PM
why are you saying these words , what did she make to write that , I 'm not American and don't live there , but we here in east europe cheers for her and all Russians , I think it's normal , and also definetlly she has fans in another areas like America ,that's normal too
you say white cheers for her and not for Williams , but you do the same when you cheers for Williams and not for Masha just because she's blonde,
and I don't get why you still in America speak about raciests while we in 2007 and so clear no raciests now ,
we shall not look at any player skin .

Obviously, you are not in America and cannot speak about racism in America. There is lots of racism and racist in America.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:10 PM
but how racism is related to Sharapova , she's a tennis player and she's not racist , she's kind and never says racits things , if you find some of her fans in America racists , why do you judge her , and also why there's racism in Ameria while Rice is so strong in America.

nelsondan
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I admire the late Johnny Hodges. He started playing alto sax in Duke Ellington's orchestra during the roaring twenties---played about fifty years.

I loved Natalie Wood. and Aretha Franklin. Sarah Chalke is wonderful. Rick Ankiel of the St. Louis Cardinals has an amazing story. Venus and Serena----from the same family! How amazing and admirable is that? Both of them have great stories---part of the story is what they were able to do when faced with challenges from worthy opponents---there would be no story if they didn't. David Letterman is great.

I already posted what I think of Maria.

Go for quality in who you admire. Sharapova is my favorite tennis player---Obama is the presidential candidate I am voting for. Other people will make other choices. good choices.