PDA

View Full Version : Can Venus Get Past Jankovic?

supergrunt
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:29 AM
Assuming that they oth make it to the quater-finals? :o

(not to over-look ana :rolleyes: )

Ntour
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:31 AM
i think if ana gives her a good run (if she doesn't beat her) it might help jankovic chances against her, but with venus you never really know, she could come out playing like at wimbledon or she could play like the rest of this year

DA FOREHAND
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Yes she can

Shvedbarilescu
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Venus can win the US Open but she does have a tough draw and this looks like the most dangerous stumbling block, as she has a very good record against both Ana and Justine, although I'm not dismissing those two players chances either. I'd say this one is no better than a 50-50 proposition for Venus, I might even make Jelena the very slight favorite, but if Venus can get past Jankovic she immediately becomes the favorite for the trophy.

Serenidad.
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:50 AM
On a fast surface, Venus can beat Jankovic. The US Open favors Venus. Jankovic has beaten her twice this year on CLAY but both THREE SETS. So you switch that on the fast USO hardcourts and you have Venus coming through with her big first serve and closing it out like 6-3 6-4.

Tennisstar86
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:56 AM
On a fast surface, Venus can beat Jankovic. The US Open favors Venus. Jankovic has beaten her twice this year on CLAY but both THREE SETS. So you switch that on the fast USO hardcourts and you have Venus coming through with her big first serve and closing it out like 6-3 6-4.

I agree on a hard court you have to give the edge to Venus.... considering Jankovic barely beat her on the clay.... ( I saw one of the matches a lot of it was wrong footing on Venus' part)
I agree if Venus gets past Jelena she becomes the favorite for the title...
i think if ana gives her a good run (if she doesn't beat her) it might help jankovic chances against her, but with venus you never really know, she could come out playing like at wimbledon or she could play like the rest of this year

I'd think a hard match against Ivanovic would make it harder for Jelena, as Venus would have fought to the next round and already stepped up her game to the level it needs to be at....

sfselesfan
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:00 AM
I'm more worried about Venus v. Jankovic than any other player in the draw...including Serena.

I just hope Venus gets fired up for the match. That being said, Jankovic has looked a little sub-par lately.

SF

Bruno71
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:01 AM
JJ may very well lose to Lena and Venus will have a tough one with Ana. I always call their matches 50/50 regardless of the surface so I don't think I'll change now, esp. since they haven't made it there yet. BTW, JJ beat Venus on grass at Wimby last year, so clay isn't the only surface she can beat her on.

venus_rulez
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Of course she can. It's on Venus' racquet. She's put herself in positions to win all their matches and she's lost focus and hasn't been able to. Playing someone like Jankovic requires her to hit a lot of balls (especially when they played on clay) She won't have to worry about that near as much at the US Open, which can only help her.

heytennis
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:08 AM
She obviously can but I dont think so. I think she'll lose to Ivanovic and if not then, she'll just lose the next round to Jankovic anyways.

selyoink
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:09 AM
She can but I think she will lose to Ivanovic before then. I won't believe Venus can get deep in events outside of grass again until she proves otherwise.

heytennis
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:13 AM

Grass is pretty fast. Jankovic can beat anyone on any surface. Except Henin I guess.:tape:

AcesHigh
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Grass is pretty fast. Jankovic can beat anyone on any surface. Except Henin I guess.:tape:

Grass is slower than USO hardcourt and anyone who saw that match knew that Venus had one of her horrific "cant keep the ball in the court" days for two sets.

The surface favors Venus but still, this will be Venus's toughest match should she reach this point of the tournament.

Ivanovic, Justine, Sharapova and even Serena, I'm pretty confident Venus can handle if she's playing fairly well.

friendsita
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Venus can win the US Open but she does have a tough draw and this looks like the most dangerous stumbling block, as she has a very good record against both Ana and Justine, although I'm not dismissing those two players chances either. I'd say this one is no better than a 50-50 proposition for Venus, I might even make Jelena the very slight favorite, but if Venus can get past Jankovic she immediately becomes the favorite for the trophy.

I'm agree with you :wavey:

Serenita
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Who wankovic, sure Miss v can handle her.
Why you ask: Miss V is on a mission, she must show all who doubt her, that she is one of the GREATEST.

Black Mamba.
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:55 AM
We are talking about Venus Williams Right? Venus can beat anyone, anytime, anywhere.

Shaboinka84
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Ima Venus fan and i have doubts. I watched Jelena practice today that girl is a SOLID player. She was working on her inside out forehand and she hits very clean and precise hitting the baseline constantly. Her return of serve is serious and her backhand is awesome. That match if it happens should go three sets

BAD_MOUTH
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:17 AM
she will this time!

BAD_MOUTH
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:19 AM
We are talking about Venus Williams Right? Venus can beat anyone, anytime, anywhere.

wake up!which venus we talking about?

kadirelf
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:24 AM
yes she can

faboozadoo15
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Of course Venus CAN win. She'll need to make very few unforced errors and really attack Jankovic's serve.
If it goes to a third set, my money is on Jankovic though. Venus, for having incredible athleticism and stamina, doesn't hold up at all in three set matches against good players.

And :tape: People assuming hard courts drastically favor Venus. Jankovic plays better on faster surfaces as well and has even beaten Venus on grass. She won't have difficulty believing she can win.

Still, this match will be a close one to call, assuming it happens.

mdterp01
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Surface matters. This isn't clay. Her serve and groundstrokes will be an advantage on the hard courts. Jelena is a great retriever but this ain't clay so I like Venus' chances much better.

faboozadoo15
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Surface matters. This isn't clay. Her serve and groundstrokes will be an advantage on the hard courts. Jelena is a great retriever but this ain't clay so I like Venus' chances much better.

Jankovic plays better on faster surfaces too... She's even beaten Venus on grass.

starin
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Jankovic is like a litmus test for Venus.
I've said this many times: Venus does everything Jankovic does but better.
It's just that Jankovic is very consistent off the ground. Venus has nothing to worry about against Jankovic except for how many errors she (Venus) will make.

AcesHigh
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Jankovic plays better on faster surfaces too... She's even beaten Venus on grass.

You bring up that match like it was well-played. It was not. Venus playing well on a fast hardcourts will not look the same as the match in Charleston(I think that's where they played). Venus can go for more and her serves will be much better.

Also, that match was back in 2006 before we saw the improved serve and shot selection.

Venus needs to play well, but I really think the surface benefits Venus, an aggressive, attacking player with a booming serve, than Jankovic, with limited offensive weapons.

heytennis
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:53 AM
You bring up that match like it was well-played. It was not. Venus playing well on a fast hardcourts will not look the same as the match in Charleston(I think that's where they played). Venus can go for more and her serves will be much better.

Also, that match was back in 2006 before we saw the improved serve and shot selection.

You are sort of assuming Venus will be playing well. Something she rarely does now.

She was playing well on clay during RG but was still beaten by Jankovic. Now we are going to a surface that both players play better on. I think Jankovic would come out on top again. Grass is the only surface where I see Venus making deep runs for majors.

faboozadoo15
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Jankovic is like a litmus test for Venus.
I've said this many times: Venus does everything Jankovic does but better.
It's just that Jankovic is very consistent off the ground. Venus has nothing to worry about against Jankovic except for how many errors she (Venus) will make.

I agree. Jankovic is more than just a backboard though. If Venus doesn't take the initiative, Jankovic knows how to make things more than difficult.

One thing I've noticed in their matches-- Jankovic attacks Venus's second serve more than Venus attacks Jelena's, and that's just silly. Jelena is a very smart player and almost always has the right strategy.

Bruno71
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:56 AM
One thing I've noticed in their matches-- Jankovic attacks Venus's second serve more than Venus attacks Jelena's, and that's just silly. Jelena is a very smart player and almost always has the right strategy.

That's a huge key though. What was JJ's 1st serve % at RG? Wasn't it near 80%? She didn't lose serve the entire 1st & 3rd sets...and for some reason Venus didn't have a very good beat on her 1st serve. Should be one of Mary Jo's "keys to the match."

frontier
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Who knows maybe jj will be knocked out by Elena.Dementieva's best surface is hardcourt and she has always done well at the Open.2005 she was nearly in the final if Mary didnt take that injury time off.I still like Venus's chances because she has never had bad losses at the Open,jj has never won a hardcourt title in America.

AcesHigh
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:06 AM
You are sort of assuming Venus will be playing well. Something she rarely does now.

She was playing well on clay during RG but was still beaten by Jankovic. Now we are going to a surface that both players play better on. I think Jankovic would come out on top again. Grass is the only surface where I see Venus making deep runs for majors.

:confused: Why grass? Have you seen her last appearances at USO?? Again, this surface is very good for Venus. Who knows if she'll play well... and at RG, she was not playing well at all against Jankovic..they both played poorly. At Charleston, they both played well and Jankovic came out on top but clay favors the counterpuncher in that matchup. Fast hardcourt favors the aggressor(Venus).

Vee's recent USO record:
2005- QF(lost to Kim)
2004- R16(lost to Davenport)
2003- DNP
2002- RU(lost to Serena)
2001- Winner
2000- Winner

Tennisstar86
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:17 AM
:confused: Why grass? Have you seen her last appearances at USO?? Again, this surface is very good for Venus. Who knows if she'll play well... and at RG, she was not playing well at all against Jankovic..they both played poorly. At Charleston, they both played well and Jankovic came out on top but clay favors the counterpuncher in that matchup. Fast hardcourt favors the aggressor(Venus).

Vee's recent USO record:
2005- QF(lost to Kim)
2004- R16(lost to Davenport)
2003- DNP
2002- RU(lost to Serena)
2001- Winner
2000- Winner

1999- SF(Lost to Hingis)
1998- SF(Lost to Davenport? I believe)
1997- F(Lost to Hingis)

Shes always made the second week and has the best record/ most consistent at the open of any player going into the draw this year (I'm assuming seeing as how these stats are crazy and i know Serena's lost before the second week and Henin has also lost first week on several occasions
You forgot some.... :wavey:

sfselesfan
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:24 AM
She's only ever lost to four people at the USO...Serena, Martina, Lindsay, and Kim. Considering Kim was unbeatable that summer (and Venus almost did) I'd say she has a pretty good USO record. Better than Wimbledon in that sense.

SF

Tennisstar86
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Other notable stats: the lowest Seed Venus has lost to at the open is the #4 seed
All the players who have beaten Venus at the open had reached a grand slam final before...All but Davenport (In 2004) had reached them that year....

You look at the fact that Venus has 3rd...2nd...and 1st round losses at Wimbledon? which slam is exactly her more consistant?

Jeff
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:49 AM
I have one thing to say about Venus. It's ok if she starts off the tournament wearing something pretty and cute, but I personally cannot stand when she wears these things in big matches. I think Venus plays her best when she comes on the court meaning business...and looking like she means business and stays aggressive. I would personally like to see her wear something more athletic looking. I know she'll be sporting something from her clothing line, so i'm not sure what that will be. Summary: If Venus comes to play and means it, she is the favorite over Jankovic and Ana in my opinion. Good luck to Jankovic....but GO VEE :)

mankind
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Yes she can. Will she? Who knows.

Ntour
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:00 AM
don't forget jelena is very good hardcourt player her first slam semi was at the US Open, i wouldn't discount her too much, and with venus inconsistency if you get enough balls back she is going to miss. it really just depends on how venus plays at the US really she only seems to be able to pull out her best at wimbledon

Freakan
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:01 AM
No because she won't get past Ana.

hingis-seles
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Ofcourse Venus can beat her, should both players get that far. However whether she'll be able to do is another matter. Even Jankovic has the ability to score the win. It's just a matter of who executes better. I'm more interested in the showdown with Ivanovic in the Round of 16. I have a feeling Venus will have a tougher time with Ana then she will with Jelena. If Venus survives both, though, I wonder how much she'll have left in the tank for Justine or Serena. Particularly Justine, who has a BYE to the quarters.

As someone else mentioned, Venus' stamina in three-setters against top players is questionable as is her ability to win a big one outside grasscourts. And her draw has certainly done her no favours.

It's all up in the air, though. Very 50-50. I can see Ana going off the boil or Jelena blowing a lead as well, so anything can happen. I can't wait to see how it unfolds.

sfselesfan
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:24 AM
don't forget jelena is very good hardcourt player her first slam semi was at the US Open, i wouldn't discount her too much, and with venus inconsistency if you get enough balls back she is going to miss. it really just depends on how venus plays at the US really she only seems to be able to pull out her best at wimbledon

And the US Open, as already demonstrated. Her only bad loss was to Kim, and that was close...and nobody else came close to touching Kim that year.

SF

The Kaz
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Not a hope in hell :p

Matt01
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:18 AM
And the US Open, as already demonstrated.

The last time Venus made it past the quarters was in 2002. Stop living in the past :wavey:

And to answer the question: Yes, Venus is able to get past Janko, but she has to play really well.

Olórin
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Not a hope in hell :p

Why do you post? :shrug:

Olórin
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:25 AM
The last time Venus made it past the quarters was in 2002. Stop living in the past :wavey:

Big deal if it was in 2002, it's ahrdly ancient history. She's only played it twice since then anyway...and she did really well both times. What is it you don't get about that?

Just Do It
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Their match at RG was a cracker :worship:

Looking forward this match :drool:

Matt01
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Big deal if it was in 2002, it's ahrdly ancient history. She's only played it twice since then anyway...and she did really well both times. What is it you don't get about that?

You seriously think that she played "really well" when she lost 1:6 to Kim in the third set?

frontier
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:39 AM
with kim she just ran out of gas and was leading in the second set 4-2 serving for 5-2and was still recovering from flu.

VishaalMaria
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:44 AM
You seriously think that she played "really well" when she lost 1:6 to Kim in the third set?

But the thing is, Venus has only played the US open twice since 2002. She didn't play in 2003 and in 2006. And the fact that Venus was up a set and 4-2 against Kim before exhaustion got to her is a good showing. The only time Kim went another three sets in that Open was against Maria, and even then Kim had chances to finish it in two.

Venus is a good hard court player but it's just her fitness that lets her down. And I don't know why people keep saying "She's ONLY good on grass" as if it's a bad thing. I mean, look at Justine. These days, the only slam she can win is Roland Garros. And like any player out there, I'd like to be a dead cert for one slam a year [Justine for RG, Venus for Wimbledon] than not to have a hell in chance of winning at all.

Geisha
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:49 AM
But the thing is, Venus has only played the US open twice since 2002. She didn't play in 2003 and in 2006. And the fact that Venus was up a set and 4-2 against Kim before exhaustion got to her is a good showing. The only time Kim went another three sets in that Open was against Maria, and even then Kim had chances to finish it in two.

Venus is a good hard court player but it's just her fitness that lets her down. And I don't know why people keep saying "She's ONLY good on grass" as if it's a bad thing. I mean, look at Justine. These days, the only slam she can win is Roland Garros. And like any player out there, I'd like to be a dead cert for one slam a year [Justine for RG, Venus for Wimbledon] than not to have a hell in chance of winning at all.

As a huge Venus fan, you don't make sense here. Venus and Justine are on totally different levels this year. Yes, they have both won Grand Slams on their favourite surfaces. But, Justine has been highly competitive in every single tournament she's played this year, and she's won titles on grass and hard. Venus has had a whole slew of early round losses.

darice
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:51 AM
yes. next question? :p

VishaalMaria
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:55 AM
As a huge Venus fan, you don't make sense here. Venus and Justine are on totally different levels this year. Yes, they have both won Grand Slams on their favourite surfaces. But, Justine has been highly competitive in every single tournament she's played this year, and she's won titles on grass and hard. Venus has had a whole slew of early round losses.

But I'm talking about slams. Sure Justine has gone deep in slams but it's about winning. The last time she won a slam that was not Roland Garros was in 2004.

Olórin
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:58 AM

In the overall context of that match, and compared to most players that tournament, yes she played really well :)

Matt01
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:58 AM
But the thing is, Venus has only played the US open twice since 2002. She didn't play in 2003 and in 2006.

Venus is a good hard court player but it's just her fitness that lets her down.

Yes, Venus ia good hardcourt player, but no, it's not just her fitness that is letting her down. :rolleyes: It let her down in 2003 and 2006 at the US Open when she couldn't play, though. She played in 2004 and 2005 and it showed that she was not as good as in the past on that surface.

As for the comparison with Justine...well, I don't even want to go into that. Geisha already indicated how ridiculous that is :rolleyes:

Matt01
Aug 24th, 2007, 11:00 AM
But I'm talking about slams. Sure Justine has gone deep in slams but it's about winning. The last time she won a slam that was not Roland Garros was in 2004.

When was the last time Venus won a GS outside of Wimbledon? :wavey:

Olórin
Aug 24th, 2007, 11:11 AM

2001. Anything else you don't know?

frontier
Aug 24th, 2007, 11:14 AM
She has slams while others are still chasing that dream,she has a surface that she is good at.I am sure there are a lot of players who dream of dominating Wimbledon or just playing in a slam final,she is truly blessed.

Emina.
Aug 24th, 2007, 11:21 AM
sure! she can.

Demska
Aug 24th, 2007, 11:21 AM
no.

Ben.
Aug 24th, 2007, 11:25 AM
If Venus is on her game, then she'll definitely for sure defeat Jelena. However it is just a matter of Venus being consistent & handling Jelena's counterpunching style of game (which can work to good effect).

But if Jelena wins I'll still be happy cause she is one of my faves.

Il Primo!
Aug 24th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Venus can beat anybody, period.

But JJ can beat her too.
Venus always has trouble with quick,counterpunchers players like Myskina,Hingis, Jankovic and even perhaps Chakvetadze.
But in NY, it's more favourable to Venus.
The surface is the fastest one and thus Venus won't have to hit 52 shots to win a point.

OTOH, it's a 1/4 final and it's a good thing for JJ.
If it was a SF, I would have given the edge to Venus more easily.

ce
Aug 24th, 2007, 11:33 AM
She can,but she wont

Slutiana
Aug 24th, 2007, 11:46 AM
orget that wimbledon was on grass, that was the slam she learnt to be patient, instead of smacking the ball, she decided to hit deep ballsthat would trouble the opponent instead of just trying to hit outright winners. If she hadn't won wimbledon, maybe she would have gone back to ballbashing but since its been working, i think she is gonna keep on playing patiently. I know it was an error fest against chakvetadze but i know she was just tired and trying to get the points over and done with. She's gonna be patient and win. Just you wait and see. She will get past jankovic. Remember, venus is a better version of jankovic, waay more weapons, quicker, better first and second serve, more power, better volleys....the list goes on. And if she keeps with the patience, im 100% sure she will win. Defenatly.

Slutiana
Aug 24th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Who wankovic, sure Miss v can handle her.
Why you ask: Miss V is on a mission, she must show all who doubt her, that she is one of the GREATEST.

Oi! You stole my word! :p

Venus can beat anybody, period.

But JJ can beat her too.
Venus always has trouble with quick,counterpunchers players like Myskina,Hingis, Jankovic and even perhaps Chakvetadze.
But in NY, it's more favourable to Venus.
The surface is the fastest one and thus Venus won't have to hit 52 shots to win a point.

OTOH, it's a 1/4 final and it's a good thing for JJ.
If it was a SF, I would have given the edge to Venus more easily.

I think you're comparing her more to serena in that sense. I think we all saw at wimbledon that she will win at any stage in the tournament. No problem. Providing venus gets past ivanovic, she will have enough match practice against the big players to beat Jankovic.

Geisha
Aug 24th, 2007, 11:59 AM
It depends which Venus shows up.

I don't really understand why people say Venus only plays well on grass. I think it is beyond the court surface. Because Wimbledon is her favourite Grand Slam, I think she feels awesome just being there. If Wimbledon was on hard, I bet she'd be winning it. I don't think it falls one hundred percent on the court surface.

It is actually quite simple is determining if Venus is going to win a match. When she serves great, her opponents, like those quick counterpunchers, will have a very difficult time because the next shot is over for them. If Venus was doing this on a slower court at Wimbledon, she'll have an easier time at the US Open.

But, it all depends. Venus also played horribly at Wimbledon and maybe that Venus will show up in New York. I also think people underestimate her hardcourt skills. I mean, she is a two-time US Open champion. She's lost in the finals and semifinals twice. Her losses were to Hingis, Davenport, Serena, and Clijsters - hardly pushovers, and they were all extremely hot when she lost to them. Not to mention, she's won a whole slew of other hardcourt tournaments, like in Miami and through the California circuit.

Geisha
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:01 PM
orget that wimbledon was on grass, that was the slam she learnt to be patient, instead of smacking the ball, she decided to hit deep ballsthat would trouble the opponent instead of just trying to hit outright winners. If she hadn't won wimbledon, maybe she would have gone back to ballbashing but since its been working, i think she is gonna keep on playing patiently. I know it was an error fest against chakvetadze but i know she was just tired and trying to get the points over and done with. She's gonna be patient and win. Just you wait and see. She will get past jankovic. Remember, venus is a better version of jankovic, waay more weapons, quicker, better first and second serve, more power, better volleys....the list goes on. And if she keeps with the patience, im 100% sure she will win. Defenatly.

Patience has a lot to do with the top players. I think that's the main reason Jankovic has beaten Venus in the past - because she was more patient.

If Venus picks the right times to attack, uses her first serve efficiently, and is healthy, she's got a terribly good chance to win the whole thing.

But, at the same time - she can move incredibly and have a terrific first serve, but if she is impatient, those things mean nothing. Everything has to be working together.

supergrunt
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Venus is having a bad year and still has the same amount of slams as Henin does playing her best. :haha:

Wolverines08
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:26 PM
We're debating whether a 6-time grand slam champ can beat Jankovic?

woosey
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:42 PM
wake up!which venus we talking about?

the one that just won her fourth wimbledon title. ring a bell?

woosey
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:43 PM

yes. :lol:

woosey
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Venus is having a bad year and still has the same amount of slams as Henin does playing her best. :haha:

apparently she still has to prove herself.

woosey
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:46 PM

that venus. she's such a loser.

maryjane
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:11 PM
sorry but i think the right question should be:can venus go past ivanovic?if so she 'll go past jankovic easily.

Viktymise
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Can Jankovic get by Dementieva?

Ceri
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Jankovic has beaten Venus and has the mental edge over her, though it depends which Venus Williams shows up, as we know JJ is always pretty solid.

frontier
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I think Dementieva is being overlooked she has a good record on the hardcourts.She beat jj last year and I think it will be a qtf between Elena and Venus.I know jj is the energizer bunny of the tour but she must be exhausted from all that playing and Elena has a good record at Flushing Meadows.

Ceri
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:24 PM

Henin skipped the Aussie Open...and she's not playing as well as she was last year. Plus, the year isn't over yet. she could up her slam count you know. :wavey: as could Venus of course. ;)

Ceri
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I think Dementieva is being overlooked she has a good record on the hardcourts.She beat jj last year and I think it will be a qtf between Elena and Venus.I know jj is the energizer bunny of the tour but she must be exhausted from all that playing and Elena has a good record at Flushing Meadows.
Possible: but Lena has really been struggling with going deep into tournaments this year, what makes you think she can turn it all around at this stage?

JeremySun
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Venus has the height advantage and Jelena has the age advantage. It will be a tough match so as a Venus fan I hope they won't meet.

frontier
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Possible: but Lena has really been struggling with going deep into tournaments this year, what makes you think she can turn it all around at this stage?
Dementieva is so unpredictable ,but she has the ability to knock out jj.Her serve can be her achilles heel but the rest of her game is solid.She is playing better at Pilot Pen no three sets and her match against Sveta would tell us where she stands.I think Elena underestimated jj last year but this year she will be ready.

Wolverines08
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I love Ana, but she's just not agood matchup with Venus because all of her big shots, Venus sends back even bigger and then makes it into a running contest.

SV_Fan
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
This is the Williams Sisters house they won the title 4 times in a row. I am sure they want americans to get the U.S. Open again.

Tennisstar86
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Henin skipped the Aussie Open...and she's not playing as well as she was last year. Plus, the year isn't over yet. she could up her slam count you know. :wavey: as could Venus of course. ;)

Wait?!?!?!?! Venus was at the Aussie open? Get out of here....... Here i was thinking she missed both the Us last year and the Aussie this year....

lol... Last year Henin played so much better.... however, she still only ended up with 1 Grand slam title..... (Not taking away from Henin... but these biased arguements really are funny....)

RenaSlam.
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Venus at her 2nd best tournament ever, in front of the USO crowd, during the 50th anniversary of Althea Gibson's win = Great promise for the Williamses.

sammy01
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:41 PM
i always think a tough draw helps venus like at wimbledon she play sharapova, kuznetsova, ivanovic and bartoli in successive rounds and won not losing a set! but she stumbled past kudratseva, sromova and morigami losing 2 sets! so for me if venus get to the 4th round to play ana then shes favourite to reach the semi against justine/serena! i worry more for venus early on not when shes into the second week!

trufanjay
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Jankovic has no chance against an in form Venus on a hard court.

Brooks.
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:48 PM
why do people assume that Venus is going to have so much trouble with Ivanovic? Venus is 3-0 against her..never lost a set..just beat her easily at Wimbledon...what gives?

I know Ivaonvic has been playing well but I mean it's suddenly like she's world number 1 or something...other than jankovic, what top players has she beaten this summer anyways?

sfselesfan
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:00 PM

And to answer the question: Yes, Venus is able to get past Janko, but she has to play really well.

Okay tard, and who are the only two people she's lost two since 2002?

Hater.

SF

eugreene2
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Venus CAN beat anybody. CONTROLLED AGGRESSION!!!!!

maryjane
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:54 PM
this summer ivanovic played just two tournment even if i think it's like she played only los angeles.anyway she's so young too say she is 03 with williams.wait for the first wins against everybody.this years she has already started.

stickwitju(ju)
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Jank's got Grand Slam winner potential but y'all need to realize that she i s n ' t ready. Venus' match to lose.

harloo
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Venus is hit or miss, either she's going to win the tournament flat out or she could lose if she has a bad day. The only players I worry about Venus playing is low ranked players and Serena if she's playing well. But I figure if Venus beats Jelena then she's ready to take the tournament. I actually think she'll meet Maria in the finals.

Infiniti2001
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Yes, and she will if they meet--- You heard it here first :p

BAD_MOUTH
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:10 PM
2001. Anything else you don't know?

how come martina beat venus on hardcourt?
was martina that good?

sfselesfan
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:13 PM
how come martina beat venus on hardcourt?
was martina that good?

Martina was very consistent then, and Venus was still finding her game. Remember, Venus didn't play full time for a while, and no juniors.

SF

BAD_MOUTH
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:16 PM
that venus. she's such a loser.

hahahahahah,u r right
if venus is a loser than what make patty and dani who always lost to her?

Jean-Pierre.
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:17 PM
No. Jelena would dispatch of her 6-2 6-2 easily.

BAD_MOUTH
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Martina was very consistent then, and Venus was still finding her game. Remember, Venus didn't play full time for a while, and no juniors.

SF

and i still can't believe that mary pierce never win againt yayuk basuki
how come?

jonny84
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Venus is at home - but Jelena has the edge on her with the grand slams.

vwfan
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:05 PM
:lol: only on this board.

sweetpeas
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:23 PM
yES.

Olórin
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:23 PM
No. Jelena would dispatch of her 6-2 6-2 easily.

:weirdo:

Wolverines08
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:26 PM
:lol: only on this board.

I mean, you have to laugh at it because it's quite funny.

Tennisstar86
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I mean, you have to laugh at it because it's quite funny.

hehe.... At least we know one thing... In one weeks time they'll be some funny post to bump.....:lol:

Callystarr
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I'm going to have to go with Venus on this one. She is VERY confident. Plus she is well rested going into this after her long Wimbledon to San Diego campaign. There is one thing that she really has going into this despite her loss to Chakvetadze. She is very confident, and unlike the Australian & French Open's she has made it clear she wants to win the US Open. Venus could very well turn it on in the 4th round again, like she did in Wimbledon and create major problems for the top 10 players in her way.

Venus Williams is still my favorite to win the US Open. It is the first time she has been healthy since 2005. She lost to Kim Clijsters in 05, when she had the match won, key for Venus is for her to focus. If Venus comes in this tournament focused nobody on this surface has the game to stop her except MAYBE a healthy sister.

ivanban
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by woosey
that venus. she's such a loser

hahahahahah,u r right
if venus is a loser than what make patty and dani who always lost to her?

HELLO, planet Sarcasm calling!!! :help:

Serenidad.
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Venus and Jankovic have met twice this year. 3 Sets on clay. On a fast USO hardcourt Venus easily has the advantage. People don't analyze things right. You think Jankovic is just going to run the ball down and push it back on a fast court, she's going to get whooped.

Deck
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:50 PM
on hardcourt anytime

Mikey B
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:28 PM
yes she can.. if jankovic will let her then thats another story! lol!

their matches at RG and charleston this year were pretty intense, so hopefully (if they meet) this one will be just as intense and full of drama and without too many UE's from both...

Bruno71
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Venus and Jankovic have met twice this year. 3 Sets on clay. On a fast USO hardcourt Venus easily has the advantage. People don't analyze things right. You think Jankovic is just going to run the ball down and push it back on a fast court, she's going to get whooped.

One of those people is you.

Bruno71
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Can Jankovic get by Dementieva?

Can Dementieva get by Shaughnessy?

Viktymise
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Can Dementieva get by Shaughnessy?

Considering Shaughnessy hasn't beaten Dementieva since 1998, obviously yes :wavey:

Bruno71
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Considering Shaughnessy hasn't beaten Dementieva since 1998, obviously yes :wavey:

Well then I guess based on h2h JJ can get by Dementieva too :)

It is nice to see Lena returning to form lately.

Viktymise
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Well then I guess based on h2h JJ can get by Dementieva too :)

It is nice to see Lena returning to form lately.

On H2H Dementieva leads 2-1 on US HC and has a great USO record

Bruno71
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:48 PM
On H2H Dementieva leads 2-1 on US HC and has a great USO record

JJ leads 1-0 at the US Open itself.

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:11 PM

yes but i dont recall venus serving in any of those matches like she did at wimbledon. can jankovic consistently return her serves if she is serving like she did at Wimbledon. and if venus is serving bombs it might cause some dfs because jelena may feel pressured because of her weak serve and lets not forget she saves her worse tennis for the second week of a slam. with said it could be a close match or venus could play at the level she is capable of and beat jelena in 2 easy sets or she can play like she did against sesil and she could lose in two easy sets. with venus ya never know.

tennisIlove09
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:17 PM
I believe this US Open is all about Venus' serve. If she serves consistently (like she did at Wimbledon ... 70 plus first serve % and her 115 - 128 mph range), she will win the Open. No one can beat her when she serves like that. Its just too good.

Olórin
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Well Serena has a chance to beat her, Venus herself has said that what's amazing is that Serena returns her serve as hard as she serves it.

Mikey B
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I believe this US Open is all about Venus' serve. If she serves consistently (like she did at Wimbledon ... 70 plus first serve % and her 115 - 128 mph range), she will win the Open. No one can beat her when she serves like that. Its just too good.

yeh it is too good! its amazing when its like what it was at wimbledon.. but that must be so difficult to keep it up to that standard, if she could then she would probably win everything!!!

sortov like when serena was at her absolute physical peak and done the serena slam, she couldnt maintain that level...

so if she gets her serve firing like it was from the 4th round of wimbly onwards then i do think she could win the us open...

Highlandman
Aug 25th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Sure, why not? The matches in 2007 were 3 sets and especially Charleston was so close.

And Venus already beat her on hardcourt. Sure it was in 2005 Stanford, but so she knows how to play/beat her there.

Hashim.
Aug 25th, 2007, 10:14 AM
yeah she can :shrug:
but first let them both reach the qf plz :p

Lunatiq
Aug 25th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Anytime;)

asiandude
Aug 25th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Who is jankovic? Has she won anythinhg big? Is she the one who plays averye week to boost her ranking?

Aaron.
Aug 25th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Who is jankovic? Has she won anythinhg big? Is she the one who plays averye week to boost her ranking? :spit:

AcesHigh
Aug 25th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Who is jankovic? Has she won anythinhg big? Is she the one who plays averye week to boost her ranking?

:haha:

jdyshrky
Aug 25th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Venus can get past anyone when she's playing with confidence and er...with a forehand. Jankovic has really stepped up this year but in my eyes Venus "jumped" up from a slump that had people writing her off against basically everyone. I was more impressed by Venus' play at Wimbledon this year than any other year. Legend!

aisha
Aug 25th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Yes she can. :)

Thanx4nothin
Aug 25th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I think so, it would be 50:50 if they both got to the quarters.

Sleepwalker64
Aug 25th, 2007, 02:51 PM

:lol: Is this your way of defending Venus and Serena for not playing every week?

To answer the question...yes he can.

Tennisstar86
Aug 25th, 2007, 03:43 PM
:lol: Is this your way of defending Venus and Serena for not playing every week?

To answer the question...yes he can.

Once again... Venus plays an average schedule... Shes played more matches in the last 5 years than justine. Justine averages 14.4 matches.. Venus 14.6.... since 1997 Venus has only missed 4 Grand Slams.... since 1999 Henin has missed 4.....

If you want to talk about a player not playing matches. Its Serena... but Venus is not Serena....

sharpifan
Aug 25th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I think it doesn't depend on jelena, but it depends on venus..she can loose to the worst sometimes and win against the best

ico4498
Aug 25th, 2007, 03:52 PM
yes.