PDA

View Full Version : pierce0415's USO Q Report (pics to come later)

pierce0415
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:41 AM
as you know, I attended the USO Q today ... Unfortunately I was not able to get out of work early so could only attend the evening :o

I was rushing to the grounds after they moved Yan v Laine to follow Marta v Pironkova but when I got there, Marta & Tsetvi were still in 3rd set so I wandered around the courts

On Armstrong Stadium, Nadal was playing a practice set w/ Lopez ... the stadium was about a quarter full :eek: of fans just watching them practice and oohing and ahhing over their shots but it was kind of boring because Lopez was aceing Rafa right and left. Uncle Tony was watching. Then someone walking from the Grandstand court said to someone else, "Jelena Jankovic is playing on the Grandstand" ...

Being a fan of Jelena :smoke: , I went over to the Grandstand to see her practice but it was actually Ana Ivanovic :spit: practicing with Sven Groenefeld and a hitting partner ... there was probably around 100 people watching ... Sven was at the net, feeding Ana a forehand, a backhand, then a short forehand, then short backhand for her to put away. I got great pics of her swinging away, follow thru above her head, with her hair flying :D

Then I went over to the Zi Yan v Emma Laine match. I sat with coaches from the CTA and Shuai Zhang :hearts: They told me Na is out for the rest of the year (but you already know from my other thread) and that the rest of the 1st ladder will play Beijing, Guangzhou, Tokyo, Bangkok, Zurich and Linz to finish 2007

Zi and Emma were wearing identical Nike outfits but Emma's was about 4 sizes bigger :tape: sorry but Emma seems like she gained some weight since I saw her defeat Peng Shuai and that may have cost her the match today. Zi dictated many points and ran Emma all over the court with her drives that barely grazed the net. Emma has solid groundstrokes too but with much more topspin that cleared the net by a bigger margin. It was a match of great contrast, with Emma's lefty topspin game against Zi's righty double handed game

In the first set, Emma saved 2 SP with her lefty forehands on the line but on the third SP, Emma dictated the point by running Zi all over the court ... she came in on a short ball but got lobbed by Zi to lose the set :hug:

In Zi's first service game of the 2nd set, she was down 0-30 but came up with big serve / forehand putaway combos to get to 30-30 ... the combo reminded me of Mary Pierce :angel:, although obviously Zi's puttaway was double handed ...

Zi was up 5-3 in the 2nd set and wasted 5 MP ... to Laine's credit, she played with nerves of stell on those MP ... she just would not miss from the baseline ;) and game up with some unbelievable gets ... There was a packed mostly Asian crowd on hand by this point ... Emma had almost no supporters :help:

Anyway, Emma was up 6-5 and Zi had to save SP before forcing a tiebreak ... On the SP, Emma missed first serve and Zi absolutely clobbered the 2nd serve :worship: After the match, Zi was surrounded by Asian kids for autograph and pic requests :help:

Then I went to watch the end of Tian Tian Sun v Kops Jones ... TT was down 36 15 when I came ... I don't know what is wrong with TT but she just did not look that into this match ... Raquel's game is basically poor woman's Aga Radwanska but TT was making too many mistakes ... she was trying to play like Mary Pierce or Lindsay Davenport, trying to serve big and hit winner on next shot :sad: and while she is the biggest of the Chinese girls, she can't play like that ...

Raquel sort of choked a little combined with TT painting the lines and TT came back to 4-5 but it was too late and Raquel served it out :mad:

pierce0415
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:49 AM
also on my way home I saw Emelie Loit eating outside at the French restaurant near my flat :spit:

njnetswill
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Asian kids swarming. :scared: Reminds me of high school. :o

Drake1980
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:53 AM

sunyafei
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:22 AM
thank you!

brunof
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Did you see Sunitha Rao or Natalie Grandin?

dli
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:56 AM
en interesting

Pasta-Na
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:41 AM
tiantian :o

HAOCHEN-GOAT
Aug 24th, 2007, 11:59 AM
:lol: Thanks ! :D :bounce:

Did you talk with Shuai Zhang ?

Zi :D :bounce: Waiting for the pics :cool: :rocker2: :woohoo:

TT :sad:

darice
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:14 PM
practicing with Sven Groenefeld

i think he's hawt. he looks so much like my biology teacher who i had a crush on. :o

pierce0415
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Did you talk with Shuai Zhang ?

Zi :D :bounce: Waiting for the pics :cool: :rocker2: :woohoo:

adri I took a video of Zi hitting her groundstrokes :inlove:

and I only talked briefly with Shuai ... she came over to watch Zi's match and kept saying "Jia You", especially when Zi was down in the 2nd set ... I told her to move Julia Goerges all over the court :spit:

HAOCHEN-GOAT
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:45 PM
adri I took a video of Zi hitting her groundstrokes :inlove:

and I only talked briefly with Shuai ... she came over to watch Zi's match and kept saying "Jia You", especially when Zi was down in the 2nd set ... I told her to move Julia Goerges all over the court :spit:

How nice and sweet :hug:

:haha: @ you telling her that :lol: Well done :cool: :rocker2:

OMG plz upload the video ! :bowdown:

Ben.
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:51 PM
thanks piercey for the report :D
if you can, please show the ana pics :)

AlexBarrington
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Please Pierce when u watch Peng-Pennetta, if u made 10 000 photos to Shuai, please take one of Flavia :angel: thnx!

Just Do It
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Great report, Thank you, too bad it wasnt Jelena.