PDA

View Full Version : Why Are There So Few Women Coaching WTA Players?

Forehand_Volley
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:45 PM
Oracene Williams, Rausa Islanova, Melanie Molitor and Olga Morozova are the only four of recent memory who have players in the top 20.

With all the focus on equality in the sport of tennis being about money, why hasn't there also been a push for more women coaches in the sport?

I can understand why players in the WTA have male practice partners, but why are there so few women coaches in the WTA today or historically for that matter?

sfselesfan
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:48 PM
Don't forget Mama Molitor. I assume she still has her gig.

SF

Viktymise
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:48 PM
Olga Morozova coached Dementieva during 2004 and parts of 2005

Forehand_Volley
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:49 PM

SF
Point well-taken and corrected.

njnetswill
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:51 PM
There are few female coaches in athletics in general. I guess women don't want to work in sports unless they are the ones playing. :shrug:

Forehand_Volley
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:53 PM
Olga Morozova coached Dementieva during 2004 and parts of 2005
Point well-taken and corrected.

Forehand_Volley
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:55 PM
There are few female coaches in athletics in general. I guess women don't want to work in sports unless they are the ones playing. :shrug:
You tend to see more women coaches in college women's athletics (basketball for example), and professional basketball.

I just wonder why that trend never began with tennis and expanded to other professional/amateur sports instead of it being the other way around???? Does that make sense? Especially when the sport of tennis was the ground-breaker of equality in prize money.

Donny
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:57 PM
You tend to see more women coaches in college women's athletics (basketball for example), and professional basketball.

I just wonder why that trend never began with tennis and expanded to other professional/amateur sports instead of it being the other way around???? Does that make sense? Especially when the sport of tennis was the ground-breaker of equality in prize money.

In what other sports do men and women compete in the same tournaments simultaneously?

njnetswill
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:58 PM

Yeah, I was going to mention the WNBA and NCAA women's tennis as the only example of a sport where I see female coaches on a regular basis. Well, besides figure skating. :p :lol:

Forehand_Volley
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:00 PM
In what other sports do men and women compete in the same tournaments simultaneously?
I don't understand what that question has to do with why there are so few women coaching WTA players???

Unless I have totally missed the point (easily could have).

Figure Skating, most Olympic sports, etc.

Serena-rules-no1
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:04 PM
With all the focus on equality in the sport of tennis being about money, why hasn't there also been a push for more women coaches in the sport?

every player wants the best for her career, no one gives a damn about equality of sexes when there's so much money involved so no need to dig for a good woman coach when can easily find a man that does the same work or even better

Forehand_Volley
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:10 PM
every player wants the best for her career, no one gives a damn about equality of sexes when there's so much money involved so no need to dig for a good woman coach when can easily find a man that does the same work or even better
Why do feel male tennis coaches are superior to women tennis coaches?

I wonder if it is easier for a female tennis player to accept constructive criticism on an ongoing basis from a male tennis coach vs a female tennis coach?

I don't know. Anyone else?

Donny
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:15 PM
I don't understand what that question has to do with why there are so few women coaching WTA players???

Figure Skating, most Olympic sports, etc.

The part of your post I was commenting on was the part about equal prize money.

Tennis is the only major sport where men and women compete at the same events. Awarding equal prize money would be nearly impossible in other competitive sports.

The major exception- the Olympics- does not have any prize money.

alexia1huff
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:28 PM
domachowska had a great female trainer (but unknown to 99,5% of ppl i'm sure), who really got her going and when she started having some results, marta dumped her.

Originally Posted by Forehand_Volley

Figure Skating, most Olympic sports, etc.I think that what is meant by Olympic sports, is not the OLYMPICS but the sports, like ping-pong, athletics, weight lifting, swimming and i can just keep counting. I think that only field sports (football, volleyball) play separately.

I was wondering this as well. You'd think that it would be easier to go around with a coach so you can share your room (and bed if necessary) and don't feel akward. Maybe it's the female characters that are a problem...

I think the biggest reason is that if they play with guys, the guy if he's wasn't a pro, he can still hit well, harder or as hard the women do, so the player is prepared for pace, hard serves, while hitting with a woman wouldn't be as demanding. Men are stronger physically (without as much work)so they will really push the girls.

LeonHart
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Elena's mom coaches her now.

woosey
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:41 AM
i wondered about this too. it's interesting that there seems to be a higher number of fathers coaching their daughters compared to fathers coaching their sons too.

partbrit
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I have often asked that question myself, and I don't know the answer, other than the obvious culturally-imposed belief that a male is better. But I really don't think that's THE answer. There is a reason that women are not offering themselves as coaches. Of course, the "obvious" answer to that is also one based in cultural bias: that it is okay for men to be away from their families, but not women. And while these two flawed, but popular, beliefs probably play a role, I still don't think they constitute all of the answer.

There is also Biljana Veselinovic, whose player is not currently in the top 20, but who has been in the past and may be again.

ToeTag
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Cuz women are not dumb enough to take a job coaching on the WTA. Who the hell wants to put up with bratty, immature, egotistical men? Yes men. Don't forget the girls omnipresent daddies.

Image. A lot of these girls don't want female coaches cuz they don't want ppl to think they're lesbians. And god knows they would be accused of it if they had a female coach.

I also agree with partbrit.

Forehand_Volley
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Image. A lot of these girls don't want female coaches cuz they don't want ppl to think they're lesbians. And god knows they would be accused of it if they had a female coach.
Are ATP players who have male coaches afraid people think they are gay?
Certainly, you see the double standard.

Martina Navratilova and Amelie Mauresmo are lesbians, but they had male coaches the great majority of their careers. Having a male coach didn't make them appear any less lesbian.

Jem
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Pretty simple answer to this one. The woman want a coach and practice partner in one. Women simply can push other woman on the court. Even an older man can give most of the women players the kind of hitting they need on the court. On this one, I think it's truly more about the physical side than the mental!

ToeTag
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Are ATP players who have male coaches afraid people think they are gay?
Certainly, you see the double standard.
Of course it's a double standard. However males coaching males is the norm no one thinks anything of it. I can only think of two guys who have been coached by women: Connors and Chesnokov.

Serenidad.
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:53 AM

SF

Martina doesn't have a coach. Her and her mom aren't fighting, but she isn't coached ATM.

switz
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:07 AM
there's a simple explanation but you can't really give it without opening yourself up to the "sexist" tag.