PDA

View Full Version : Could the upset queen Razzano be trouble for Sharapova?

floco
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:38 PM
I dont think they played before - am i wrong? Not sure how she would do against a player like Sharapova, but she usually plays her best against top players... especially if the world is watching! :devil:
I really hope she makes it to the 3rd round so we can see her again for primetime, one year after her Hingis demolition...

jonny84
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:46 PM
No they haven't played.

It could happen. Stranger things have.

Bruno71
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:49 PM
It'd certainly have to be a bad day for Masha & a very good for Virgie, but she's shown she can beat top players. I'm rather doubting it but hope to be proven wrong...boy wouldn't that blow up that bottom half.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
hope not

hablo
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Maybe if she had a better serve...

When I saw her in Toronto vs Peer, sometimes she also had poor shot selection. :o

But I'm all for upsets now... ALLEZ! :devil:

njnetswill
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
The only way the bottom half can be nearly as interesting as the top half is if Sharapova loses early. :lol: In that case I would LOVE for Razzano to upset her. Would really open things up.

danieln1
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:56 PM
No, Maria in straight sets, US Open belongs to her!

Wayn77
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:00 PM
hope so! :devil:

bit worried about Ginny's serve though - Sharapova will be all over it like a rash. :lol:

Thanx4nothin
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:04 PM
Considering she was able to put herself in the position of 5-1 final set against Henin, then yeah she could.

felipe2004
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:07 PM
Razzano is a very difficult opponent for top players when on, so it could definetly happen if she is in a good day, and Sharapova is not.

Mikey B
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:11 PM
i think she would give her abit of trouble, but maria would still win in straight sets.. probably something like 7/5 or 7/6 in the first then a masha demolition 6/1 or 6/2...

Poova
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:12 PM
Hmm I'm a bit surprised these two have never played before, I was sure they had but I must be thinking of someone else :o

Anyway I don't see her upsetting Sharapova unless Maria is playing REALLY REALLY bad.

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:14 PM
another frenchwoman in the early rounds for Maria!

goldenlox
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:16 PM
Krajicek almost beat Sharapova in LA. Schnyder took a set in SD, and she played the night SF.
Sharapova in her 2007 form is very beatable. Several players in the bottom half, if they are playing well, can come thru.

Sefo
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:17 PM
The only way the bottom half can be nearly as interesting as the top half is if Sharapova loses early. :lol: In that case I would LOVE for Razzano to upset her. Would really open things up.

Come on, that would be the only certain way we could have another boring GS final.

pkilli
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:18 PM
Maria plays so consistent in the slams, i doubt virgine can defeat her!

Serenidad.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:19 PM
I doubt it. Sharapova rarely has trouble with people that have poor second serves. She'll be right on top of Razzano from the first strike. Razzano doesn't have any real weapons and her forehand is awful. She'd have to land 80% + First Serves and hope she plays above her level. And I don't even like Sharapova.

goldenlox
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:20 PM
Maria plays so consistent in the slams, i doubt virgine can defeat her!
Consistent? She got her ass kicked at all 3 majors.

floco
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:21 PM
Come on, that would be the only certain way we could have another boring GS final.

Yeah it would be so much more entertaining to watch Sharapova get demolished like Aus open 07... :rolleyes:

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:26 PM
davaiiii Masha http://smiles.al-wed.com/smiles/62/russiaC.gif

Serenita
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:28 PM
anything can happen, ufo could kidnapped her also

Bruno71
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:31 PM

That's consistent!

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:37 PM
all these haters words to a Masha who's kind and decent make us her fans cheers for her more .......

goldenlox
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:50 PM
That's consistent!But she gets her ass kicked in a different round every major this year.

switz
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:16 AM
It will be interesting if Virginie comes ready to play. She has a very good return on serve when she's on so it will test Sharapova's questionable serve.

You never know what you're going to get with Razzano though.

.Andrew.
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:19 AM
She could be trouble her but I don't see an upset in this match coming.

sharafann
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:37 AM
u r sooo pathetic talking shit about a compatriot:rolleyes:

selesbooz
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:38 AM

You Mean the FINALS of the AO:worship:, The SEMI'S of the FO:bounce: and the 4th round of Wimby. Man she sucks.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Considering she was able to put herself in the position of 5-1 final set against Henin, then yeah she could.

Not even close to being the same players. Sharapova's groundies are heavier and more consistant. And she has a better return than Henin

Anna F'd Enrique
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:08 AM
I think the scoreline will be similar to the match Razzano played against Venus in SD.

sharafann
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:11 AM
I think the scoreline will be similar to the match Razzano played against Venus in SD.
what was the score?

friendsita
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:16 AM
No, Masha will reach at least the semis without any problem.

mm1147
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:54 AM

and if hingis can get to qf it would be very interesting :angel:

LindsayRulz
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Virginie sure can upset a not playing at 100% Sharapova.

Anna F'd Enrique
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:41 AM
what was the score?

6-2 6-4

Shvedbarilescu
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Razzano is playing very well but she is also in a very tough part of the draw playing Loit in the 1st round and Radwanska or Morigami in the 2nd round. Loit is also a very good player but she doesn't like US hardcourts very much so I would expect Razzano to win that. But both Morigami and Radwanska are also playing extremely well, especially Aga, so I don't think we can assume Razzano will even get to the 3rd round. Razzano has never played Radwanska and if that happens it should be a highly competitive match, likewise if Morigami plays Razzano I expect that to be a high standard match also. Razzano just beat Morigami in Forest Hills today but it was a close hard fought contest as have their three previous matches been and the US Open would be too.

One thing for sure, whoever comes through this section to play Sharapova, if Sharapova also gets to the 3rd round, should be in the form to give Sharapova a very tough match. I say, if Sharapova gets to the 3rd round because, as much of a longshot as it is, I am hoping with all my heart that Yaroslava Shvedova can take Sharapova out in the 2nd round.

pkilli
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:43 AM

Yes, but that is only against top players and a multi wimby champion Venus! Maria rarely loses against less ranked opponents in slams in the early rounds!

DA FOREHAND
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:55 AM
and if hingis can get to qf it would be very interesting :angel:

That would be amazing in a couple of ways;)

goldenlox
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:00 AM
I saw Nadia play Razzano and Ivanovic back to back. The matches were very similar, except Razzano gave Nadia a bigger window in the 2nd set, which Nadia won 64 from Razzano.
If Razzano is playing well, it's a competitive match.

Aryman3
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Even her qualifying to the 3rd round would be surprising. Speculations about her eliminating Masha seem to me
nothing more than dreaming

heytennis
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:16 AM
But she gets her ass kicked in a different round every major this year.

I was just reading some of Maria's cheering thread from Wimby 2004. I'm surprised that you don't like her anymore when you seemed to be her number one fan back then. You kept on calling her a genius and touting how she is the future of tennis. What happened to make you dislike her so much? Fed Cup?

Bruno71
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Even her qualifying to the 3rd round would be surprising. Speculations about her eliminating Masha seem to me
nothing more than dreaming

Why? She made the 4th round last year beating Hingis, and is in better form coming in this year.

goldenlox
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:21 AM
I was impressed with how she played at 17 and 2 months, especially the way she would come from behind and make Lindsay and Serena look inept.

With Fed Cup, I don't care if she never plays. She keeps saying she wants to play. I'm finished with the bullshit.

heytennis
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:26 AM
I was impressed with how she played at 17 and 2 months, especially the way she would come from behind and make Lindsay and Serena look inept.

With Fed Cup, I don't care if she never plays. She keeps saying she wants to play. I'm finished with the bullshit.

Have you been impressed with her play since then?

Are you still a fan?

switz
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:31 AM
it's true about Virginie's draw. She would be better off playing Sharapova in round 1 in some ways because her head may become a factor playing against an experience fellow french woman like Loit. Although it's a certainty that head issues will be a factor with Emilie as well :lol:

Radwanska is probably the most likely to come through - although i hope Emilie or Akiko do.

goldenlox
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:31 AM
I learned since then. Jankovic and Henin weren't expecting much from Bartoli. That was Sharapova's edge in 2004. Serena is ready for her now.

Am I a fan? Ask me during Fed Cup final week.

heytennis
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:34 AM
As a tennis fan, do you still think she is a great player?

I'm not trying to be annoying, I just am interested in your opinion.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:34 AM

no don't say that , I'm from her site and a lot of people know her personally , she loves russia , you see what happened to her when she played in LA , she must defend a lot of points, I'm sure she'll play for Russia , and I'm sure also she'll take the gold medal for Russia, you know we in Armenia loves her so much and all other Russian players but she more , and also she's Siberian , her Siberian blood never lies , I was sad and dissapointed too when she didn't play the semi final ,but she really was injured , and she gives Russia more when she's healthy , and win ...

Bruno71
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:35 AM
it's true about Virginie's draw. She would be better off playing Sharapova in round 1 in some ways because her head may become a factor playing against an experience fellow french woman like Loit. Although it's a certainty that head issues will be a factor with Emilie as well :lol:

Radwanska is probably the most likely to come through - although i hope Emilie or Akiko do.

The one thing I've seen in Razzano's play this summer, though, is a consistency that she seems to have lacked throughout her entire career so far. That's why I think she'll be ready for each match and come thru to the 3rd round. Radwanska would be a tough out though.

cecilija
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Not even close to being the same players. Sharapova's groundies are heavier and more consistant. And she has a better return than Henin

:tape:

TKane
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Aye, she could. My beloved Vivi, she's the only hope to make that bottom half of the draw interesting again ;) It will be hard, but than... Camille Pin had almost done that in AO, so Vivi could do that too. She will try, that's for sure. If she would make it to 3rd round, of course :)

Allez Vivi!

s_j
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:18 AM
If Sharapova lost before the final...oh my God that final will be ZZZ

TKane
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:30 AM
well, but if she won't lost, the whole tournament for the bottom half of the draw will be zzzzzzz.... ;)

I'd rather prefer boring final... we all get used to that anyway... :p

Matt01
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:35 AM
well, but if she won't lost, the whole tournament for the bottom half of the draw will be zzzzzzz.... ;)

There still would be Hingis, Hantuchova, Kuzzy, Vaidisova, Schnyder...pretty exciting if you ask me :p

TKane
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Point taken, Matt01 :)
But Hantuchova is not a trouble for Sharapova, Vaidisova still recovering from her illness, and Hingis - from her injuries, Schnyder does not like hardcourts so much, and she could hardly be a match for 'pova... so, for me it's basically Vivi and Sveta...

Anyway i don't want to argue. I'm sure 'pova fans will find that draw exciting too, so let it be. We others could do nothing to change it, so...

Allez Vivi!

Russianboy
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:51 AM
never

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:54 AM
If Sharapova lost before the final...oh my God that final will be ZZZ

I wonder who 'll watch that ?

Piotr'ek
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Razzano wont play Masha, Aga will.

Shvedbarilescu
Aug 24th, 2007, 11:10 AM
There still would be Hingis, Hantuchova, Kuzzy, Vaidisova, Schnyder...pretty exciting if you ask me :p

Agree. If Sharapova loses early the bottom half of the draw becomes wide open and a great opportunity for someone to have a huge breakthrough in their career. Personally, for me, this would add a whole lot of excitement to the tournament.

Bruno71
Aug 24th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Agree. If Sharapova loses early the bottom half of the draw becomes wide open and a great opportunity for someone to have a huge breakthrough in their career. Personally, for me, this would add a whole lot of excitement to the tournament.

Unless it's Kuznetsova...she's already had that breakthrough.

No one seems to be talking about Chakvetadze...as if losing to Maria is THAT huge a given.

hingis-seles
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure Razzano can work her magic yet again. Let's see how it unfolds. I'd be shocked if it happened, though.

NeeemZ
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I don't believe Sharapova will have any trouble with Razzano.

Sammm
Aug 24th, 2007, 02:30 PM
When was the last time Sharapova lost that early in a slam?? I doubt it's gonna happen here. She's in good form and always plays pretty decently at slams - has made the semis or better at 4 of the last 5.

papru
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:50 PM
no she COULD not even if she took OUT Radwanska first :p

KBdoubleu
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:53 PM
When was the last time Sharapova lost in the first round of a slam?? I doubt it's gonna happen here. She's in good from and always plays pretty decently at slams - has made the semis or better at 4 of the last 5 slams.

this isn't a first round match.

I think that Razzano can trouble Sharapova and maybe take a set but not the match.

TaxPower
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I really hope so
if maria is in a bad day, she definitely can beat her