PDA

View Full Version : Wertheim's Seed Report; Henin to Win title over Sharapova

tennisIlove09
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:00 PM
U.S. Open women's seed report
Can Sharapova repeat? Or is a Williams sister lurking?
Posted: Thursday August 23, 2007 11:38AM; Updated: Thursday August 23, 2007 11:38AM

http://i.cnn.net/si/images/1.gifhttp://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/jon_wertheim/08/23/us.women/p1_sharapova_0823.jpg
Injuries, ugly losses and a lack of confidence have plagued Maria Sharapova since she won her second major last year in Flushing.
Jessie Kluetmeier/SI

SI.com's Jon Wertheim breaks down the men's (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_wertheim/08/23/us.men/index.html) and women's seeds at the U.S. Open. Read on for the top first-round matchups, dark horses to keep an eye on and his predicted winners.

The women's field is essentially a tale of two draws. One half features all three 2007 Grand Slam winners (Serena Williams, Justine Henin and Venus Williams) as well the two ascending Serbs, Jelena Jankovic and Ana Ivanovic. The other half features ... well ... providence, thy name is Sharapova.

Top 16 seeds

1. Justine Henin: Took a long time to return after that dismal Wimbledon loss to Marion Bartoli. But JH won in Toronto, playing typically savvy, unflustered tennis. Likely to play Serena Williams in the quarters for the third straight major. For our money, this is the de facto final.

2. Maria Sharapova: Last chance for '06 winner to redeem a generally lousy year. Yes, she's been struggling with a series of injuries, most notably to her serving shoulder. The lopsided losses in big matches suggest her confidence isn't what it once was. But with virtually every dangerous player quarantined to the other side of the draw, she should reach the final and could steal her third Slam.

3. Jelena Jankovic: There's plenty to like, both about her game and her Uzi-of-candor personality. But Hammerin' Jank still needs to take that final step and come away with a win on the biggest stages. Likely quarter against either Venus or Ivanovic ought to be thrilling.

4. Svetlana Kuznetsova: Since winning the tournament three years ago, she hasn't made many strides. She can hang with anyone, but tends to wilt against better players. Absence of competition could help her reach the semis.

5. Ana Ivanovic: Has the misfortune of facing Agnieszka Radwanska, Venus and Jankovic just to reach the semis! Winsome Serb will eventually, well, win some. But not here, not now.

6. Anna Chakvetadze: Chance to emerge from under the radar. Can she summon the nerves to beat Sharapova in the quarters? If so, she could be the event's breakout star.

7. Nadia Petrova: We've been burned in the past for touting her, but when her head is on straight and she's not self-flagellating, she's a top-tier player. A semifinal performance is hardly out of the question, especially given her draw.

8. Serena Williams: Obviously the big question is, "How's the thumb?" If it's healed, it's not hard to see her drawing support from the crowd and exacting some revenge on Henin. If she's still injured, Henin wins the match and, thus, the tournament.

9. Daniela Hantuchova: Can't complain about her draw, but she has fallen into a "make the middle weekend and then bow out quietly" rut.

10. Marion Bartoli: Failed to build on her smashing Wimbledon result on summer hard courts, but suddenly showed signs of life in Canada. Alas, she's in the Henin-Serena quarter and ain't surviving that.

11. Patty Schnyder: Loopy lefty tends to flame out early at the Open. She had a reasonable shot at the quarters thanks to the draw gods, but she's no threat to win.

12. Venus Williams: The big wild card. If she finds her Wimbledon form, she's thoroughly capable of winning the title for the third time. If not, it's hard to see her bluffing her way through Ivanovic and Jankovic.

13. Nicole Vaidisova: She's in the throes of an underwhelming year -- due in part to a bout with mono -- and the sponsor pressure is surely turned on high. On the other hand, she's in the mushy half of the draw. What better player is there to break through in New York?

14. Elena Dementieva: She's no longer an elite player, but she likes hard courts and has had her share of success at the Open.

15. Dinara Safina: Still another fine player consigned to the Henin-Serena quarter.

16. Martina Hingis: On the (gulp) 10th anniversary of her U.S. Open title, this is her last chance to salvage a disappointing year.

Seeds 17-32

http://i.cnn.net/si/images/1.gifhttp://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/jon_wertheim/08/23/us.women/p1_venus_0823.jpg
If No. 12-seed Venus Williams is in the same form that won her Wimbledon, she could be the biggest threat in the women's field.
Bob Martin/SI

17. Tatiana Golovin: Highest-ranked Frenchie turned in some fine results with Mats Wilander in her corner.

18. Shahar Peer: Slowed a bit lately, but usually a force on hard courts.

19. Sybille Bammer: If Moms can win a few rounds, it will cement one of the nicer stories in women's tennis this year.

21. Alona Bondarenko: A future top-10er.

26. Sania Mirza: She has been playing some of the best tennis of her career
these past six weeks.

32. Agnieska Radwanka: Steadily climbing the charts.

Dark-horse nation

Meghann Shaughnessy: She sprained her ankle last week, but has been playing some of the better tennis of her career lately.
Agnes Szavay: Though she nearly had to qualify, the Hungarian has been on a roll of late.
Victoria Azarenka: A future top-10er.
First-round matches to watch

(And there aren't many, thanks to the 32 seeds)
Bartoli vs. Alexa Glatch: Big chance for young American to make news.
Katarina Srbotnik vs. Alicia Molik: Arguably the two finest net games in women's tennis.
Francesca Schiavone vs. Nathalie Dechy: A decent Tier-II final matchup.

Peer vs. Meilen Tu: Feisty American veteran has a decent chance to spring an upset.

Vania King vs. Shaughnessy: Two best American hopes not named Williams meet in round one.

Doubles winner

Cara Black and Liezel Huber

Semis

Henin vs. Venus Williams
Szavay (you have to make one long-shot pick) vs. Sharapova

Final

Henin vs. Sharapova

Winner

Henin

sfselesfan
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:04 PM
Shocker! Once again...for the third time...he calls the Serena/Henin QF the "de facto" final.

SF

jellybelly
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:07 PM
shocker! he was wrong last time and he will be wrong again

©@®eLess
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:08 PM
Bondarenk and Azarenka future top10...ok...Distant future!

Slutiana
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:09 PM
Shocker! Once again...for the third time...he calls the Serena/Henin QF the "de facto" final.

SF

and truth be told, the winner didnt come from that matchup like so many expected at wimbledon

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:10 PM
blah blah i call a masha vs serena final

SvetaPleaseWin.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:10 PM
szavay in the semi :lol: serena to beat sveta in the final-third time lucky for this prediction??? hopefully :)

tennisIlove09
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:11 PM
He is right. If Serena is injured, or not 100%, Justine will win that match up. I am calling a Venus-Sharapova final :drool:

itzhak
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:14 PM
Bondarenko- future top 10?!

I'm not sure that he saw her playing, if he did, I don't think that he would wrote this.....

twight6
How can he say that Ivanovic will struggle with Radwanksa... but that Chakvetadze, who got her ass kicked by Sharapova last time and was injured, has a chance to beat Sharapova? :rolleyes: :haha:

faboozadoo15
szavay in the semi :lol: serena to beat sveta in the final-third time lucky for this prediction??? hopefully :)

Szavay would only have to beat a qualifier, Krakicek, Petrova, Hantuchova, and then Kuznetsova/Hingis.

Szavay is on the up and up with her play and confidence and has the game to take out all these players.
But she's unpredictable and could easily lose to Krajicek if she plays poorly.

He's got to make one surprise semifinalist pick. If a surprise semifinalist is coming from somewhere, she's coming from the third quarter.

tennisIlove09
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:17 PM
Its kinda hard to believe 10 years ago was Hingis' win. Time flies ... also 10 years since Venus made her debute at the Open, reaching the finals. 10 years since the BUMP.

faboozadoo15
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:18 PM
How can he say that Ivanovic will struggle with Radwanksa... but that Chakvetadze, who got her ass kicked by Sharapova last time and was injured, has a chance to beat Sharapova? :rolleyes: :haha:

Isn't Rodwanska in Sharapova's draw anyway?

Wiggly
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:19 PM
The long-shot is quite HUGE. :eek:

woosey
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:20 PM
Szavay would only have to beat a qualifier, Krakicek, Petrova, Hantuchova, and then Kuznetsova/Hingis.

Szavay is on the up and up with her play and confidence and has the game to take out all these players.

He's got to make one surprise semifinalist pick. If a surprise semifinalist is coming from somewhere, she's coming from the third quarter.

:haha: what are you smokin?

tenn_ace
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:20 PM

if Anna could be considered a surprise semifinalist, it will be her.

sfselesfan
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:21 PM
Now he's speaking in the royal "we." Check out the Petrova commentary. "We've"

What an ass.

SF

Edit: Also, since when is Golovin the "highest ranked Frenchie?"

SvetaPleaseWin.

i think the 4th 1/4 is the most likely for a surprise finalist-sharapova is injured and not playing well and im still not convinced by chaky.
if sveta does cock up i think petrova will fill in her spot but that aint gonna happen

woosey
He is right. If Serena is injured, or not 100%, Justine will win that match up. I am calling a Venus-Sharapova final :drool:

this is actually my final as well.

twight6
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:27 PM
Isn't Rodwanska in Sharapova's draw anyway?

yes :help: :tape: I didn't even realize that :o

What a jack ass :rolleyes:

sfselesfan
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:28 PM
this is actually my final as well.

Mine too.

SF

AJZ.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:30 PM
:lol: at the anticlimatic doubles winners.
as if it were that easy. Ai & Kata :armed: :angel:

faboozadoo15
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:32 PM
i think the 4th 1/4 is the most likely for a surprise finalist-sharapova is injured and not playing well and im still not convinced by chaky.
if sveta does cock up i think petrova will fill in her spot but that aint gonna happen

:spit: Sharapova won the flipping USA Open Series and a tier1 in San Diego. She's showing the best form in that half!

DA FOREHAND
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:45 PM
:spit: Sharapova won the flipping USA Open Series and a tier1 in San Diego. She's showing the best form in that half!

yea that may be true but Nicole Vaidisova is unstoppable, so is her Citizen Eco drive watch!!:tape:

I think Jon made some brave predictions. I don't think many people believe Justine can beat Serena and Venus to make the final.

joz
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:58 PM
Some of his out there picks seem reasonable... but they are a bit out there.
Factually he says "17. Tatiana Golovin: Highest-ranked Frenchie turned in some fine results with Mats Wilander in her corner."... but he forgets Bartoli is #10?

s_j
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:02 PM
I find these tennis analysts soooo annoying. They're so protensious and they don't even have the right facts... it's embarrassing.

twight6
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:20 PM
Some of his out there picks seem reasonable... but they are a bit out there.
Factually he says "17. Tatiana Golovin: Highest-ranked Frenchie turned in some fine results with Mats Wilander in her corner."... but he forgets Bartoli is #10?

What about Mauresmo? :shrug:

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:21 PM
not playing :lol:

but Marion the highest-ranked Frenchie there :lol::tape:

starin
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:23 PM
If it's a Henin Sharapova final. Sharapova's going to walk away with the win.

twight6
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:26 PM
not playing :lol:

but Marion the highest-ranked Frenchie there :lol::tape:

:tape:I thought he meant period, I didn't know he meant playing :tape:

Oh well :shrug: he still forgot Marion :help:

CoolDude7
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:46 PM

I think the same.

faboozadoo15
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:59 PM

You think that if Henin beats Venus and Serena (probably) that she'll lose to Sharapova? Interesting. Sharapova will have had played no players who play anything like Justine, while Justine will have played a few players with Maria's gamestyle. As a Maria fan, I'd hope for a competitive match and maybe some magic.

We'll see how it all develops though, of course.

Viktymise
Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:10 PM
Im pretty sure there will be a suprise Semi finalist from the bottom half and the most likely candidates are Szavay and Azarenka. Im sure Petrova, Kuznetsova will fuck the easy draw up somehow.

njnetswill
Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:24 PM
Alona Bondarenko: A future top-10er.

WTF. :tape: :help: :lol:

pkilli
Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:39 PM
His prediction is 50% accurate. It's going to be Justine over Sveta in the final!

Bruno71
Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:42 PM
Has Bud Collins made his predictions yet? I wanna find out who the winner definitely isn't...although I can probably make do with Wertheim.

athake
Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:55 PM

i cant see Maria serving as she did last year, she has to serve very well to beat Justine.

And, Justine's not playing New Heaven this year, its a big indicator for me her being fresh..

of course, if She's healty(shoulder etc)

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:59 PM
Has Bud Collins made his predictions yet? I wanna find out who the winner definitely isn't...although I can probably make do with Wertheim.

Bud said that Venus would win Wimbledon this year...:bounce:

mdterp01
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:03 PM
I guess if they keep predicting Henin to win another slam outside of the French Open she'll eventually cash in :lol: :tape:

kadirelf
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:19 PM
henin sharapova and szavay last four us open puhahahahahahahahahah :):):):):):):):):)

venus ok. but sharapova henin szavay noooooooooo

Forehand_Volley
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:45 PM
I was just watching a US Open preview on Yahoo Sports where Jim Courier picked Henin to win with his darkhorse being Ana Ivanovic.

Based upon the results of the hardcourt season and the injury status of all the players, I agree with him.

sharafann
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:49 PM
I was just watching a US Open preview on Yahoo Sports where Jim Courier picked Henin to win with his darkhorse being Ana Ivanovic.

Based upon the results of the hardcourt season and the injury status of all the players, I agree with him.
I don't:tape:

Forehand_Volley
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:50 PM
I guess if they keep predicting Henin to win another slam outside of the French Open she'll eventually cash in :lol: :tape:
All the players winning grand slam tournaments seem to be having that problem with the exception of Sharapova.

Henin's last grand slam title outside the French Open was Australian O '04.
Serena's last grand slam title outside the Australian Open was Wimbledon '03.
Venus' last grand slam title outside of Wimbledon was US Open '01.:eek:

woosey
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:59 PM

the slate is clean at slams.

and the top players step up at the slams.

i would not want to face serena or venus in a slam final, i don't care what they did or did not do in the weeks leading up to the final.

venus_rulez
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:09 PM
This is probably going to come down to one of the Sisters and Sharapova. I'm hoping it's Venus, with a 1 and 4 win in the final :)

mdterp01
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
All the players winning grand slam tournaments seem to be having that problem with the exception of Sharapova.

Henin's last grand slam title outside the French Open was Australian O '04.
Serena's last grand slam title outside the Australian Open was Wimbledon '03.
Venus' last grand slam title outside of Wimbledon was US Open '01.:eek:

I'm not disputing that. The point I keep making is that over the last couple years, Henin is the pick to win almost every slam and she's only done it at the French Open. Thats all I was sayin. So...eventually...she'll cash in, right?

Dexter
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
Just embarrassing to write so many mistakes in one article. EMBARRASSING! :o

Forehand_Volley
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:19 PM
the slate is clean at slams.

and the top players step up at the slams.

i would not want to face serena or venus in a slam final, i don't care what they did or did not do in the weeks leading up to the final.
I think it was Mary Jo who talked about watching Serena practice in San Diego a couple of weeks ago, still hitting one-handed backhands. I can't see Serena going deep into this draw if she's having to hit one-handed backhands.

I think the much anticipated semifinal will be Henin v. V. Williams. They haven't played each other in so long it will be great for tennis and the ratings if it is a match similar to Henin-Capriati semifinal in 2003.

Forehand_Volley
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
I'm not disputing that. The point I keep making is that over the last couple years, Henin is the pick to win almost every slam and she's only done it at the French Open. Thats all I was sayin. So...eventually...she'll cash in, right?
Well, she's 6/10 in grand slam finals, so eventually she should cash-in. This US Open will probably be her toughest draw in some time. If she makes it into the finals, I think she'll win.

Vamos.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:37 PM
[Katarina Srbotnik vs. Alicia Molik: Arguably the two finest net games in women's tennis.
]

Is he fucking joking?

Bruno71
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:38 PM
Bud said that Venus would win Wimbledon this year...:bounce:

I thought he said Justine would beat her in the final? Am I remembering that wrong?

Bruno71
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:41 PM
I think it was Mary Jo who talked about watching Serena practice in San Diego a couple of weeks ago, still hitting one-handed backhands. I can't see Serena going deep into this draw if she's having to hit one-handed backhands.

I think the much anticipated semifinal will be Henin v. V. Williams. They haven't played each other in so long it will be great for tennis and the ratings if it is a match similar to Henin-Capriati semifinal in 2003.

Knowing Serena, if she's been reduced to a one-handed backhand since Wimbledon, she's probably already developed a better one than Justine's :lol:

I'm only half-kidding.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:44 PM

The only way it can be that competitive would be Venus spraying errors all over the place. Venus owns Henin for a reason, it's not a good matchup for Justine. :wavey:

hablo
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:47 PM
What professionalism, Worthless. :clap2:

Bravo for making so many mistakes! It must be some kind of record. :haha:

ys
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:50 PM
Werthheim is such a woodpecker..

Forehand_Volley
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
The only way it can be that competitive would be Venus spraying errors all over the place. Venus owns Henin for a reason, it's not a good matchup for Justine. :wavey:
They haven't played since January 2003. Venus owns a 9-1 edge. Henin's won six grand slam titles since.

They both have proven they can beat anyone in the world. Don't expect a Venus-Sharapova type result if they eventually play. Henin's foot speed will make it a competitive match. I think the result of that match-up will depend on which player can better exploit the weaknesses of the other. If Venus can assert herself early and affect Henin mentally, she has a better chance of winning. If Henin can keep Venus hitting tennis balls and drawing unforced errors, she has a better chance.

You can bet Richard Williams and Carlos Rodriquez will have their players ready with a game plan. And while I'm at it, I think both men, along with Yuri Sharapov are the best coaches in women's tennis right now.

Matt01
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:19 PM
The only way it can be that competitive would be Venus spraying errors all over the place. Venus owns Henin for a reason,

:bs:

DA FOREHAND
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:37 PM
It's hardly Bs, until Henin proves otherwise it's pretty much a fact. I don't give a damn how many slams she's won since then. It's not like she's gone undefeated since The French Open 03, even low budget top ten players like Bartoli have taken it to her.

She and her fans would want to hope that Venus is far from her Wimbledon form should they meet, on the fast hard courts of the US Open

trufanjay
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:42 PM
If Venus is at or near her Wimbledon form then no one can touch her unless Serena is able to hit backhands. I'm picking Venus to win this one. Justine can't beat an in form Venus on a quick hardcourt so I think Venus will beat Sharapova in the final.

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:55 PM
You can bet Richard Williams and Carlos Rodriquez will have their players ready with a game plan. And while I'm at it, I think both men, along with Yuri Sharapov are the best coaches in women's tennis right now.

:unsure:

maximus82
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:10 PM
It's hardly Bs, until Henin proves otherwise it's pretty much a fact. I don't give a damn how many slams she's won since then. It's not like she's gone undefeated since The French Open 03, even low budget top ten players like Bartoli have taken it to her.

True about Justine, but you know what they say about rocks and glass houses....

*cough cough*

AMELIA ISLAND See all AMELIA ISLAND Results for WILLIAMS (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerActivity.asp?PlayerID=230220&TournamentID=803)VS, II, USA, FL, April 8, 2007, $ 600,000 , CLAY (O)

QH2H (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerHeadToHeadDetail.asp?PlayerID=230220&Player1ID=310774) (8) GOLOVIN, TATIANA FRA (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerBio.asp?PlayerID=310774)20 L 6-2 6-3

ISTANBUL See all ISTANBUL Results for WILLIAMS (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerActivity.asp?PlayerID=230220&TournamentID=1027)VS, III, TURKEY, May 26, 2007, $ 200,000 , CLAY (O)
R16H2H (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerHeadToHeadDetail.asp?PlayerID=230220&Player1ID=311791)REZAI, ARAVANE FRA (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerBio.asp?PlayerID=311791)59 L 6-4 6-4

AUSTRALIAN OPEN See all AUSTRALIAN OPEN Results for WILLIAMS (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerActivity.asp?PlayerID=230220&TournamentID=901)GS, AUSTRALIA, January 28, 2006, $ 6,137,580 , HARD (O)

R128H2H (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerHeadToHeadDetail.asp?PlayerID=230220&Player1ID=311041)PIRONKOVA, TSVETANA KIRILOVA BUL (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerBio.asp?PlayerID=311041)94 L 2-6 6-0 9-7

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:45 PM
the first 3 were valid, but the 4th :o come on.

maximus82
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I was surprised when I saw that in her record, but I can't remember what was going on then - was she injured? I would guess she'd have to be.

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:50 PM
that was her last match before she was out until Memphis. In the second set, she could only hit slice BH.

morningglory
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Who the heck is Szavay? :lol:

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:53 PM
How can you be in the board...and in GM and not know the answer to that question :unsure:

Browse around a bit today :wavey:

:secret: She's in the semis of NH and beat some quality people to get there :yeah:

maximus82
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Gotchya...edited above

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Well I mean honestly, you could make cases for all 3 of those losses, but Justine was World #1, heavy fave, and riding a 12 match + win streak :shrug:. When Venus was in the top 5, she RARELY lost to anyone have the same mom and dad. Much less anyone out of the top 10.

sfselesfan
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:19 PM

She's awesome. Just saw her play for the first time this week, and look out! :eek: Pierce's groundstrokes with Hingis' movement and touch.

SF

stickwitju(ju)
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Wertheim is a dumb ass but he finally got something right. USO '07 is Justine's. :banana:

maximus82
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Sure, Venus had impressive dominant periods and in those periods only tended to lose to more top periods. But even in 2000, Vee was 41-4 (whereas Ju this year is 42-4) with losses to Coetzer, Dokic, ASV, and Davenport. 2001 she was 46-5, with losses to Hingis, Maggie Maleeva, (a very young) Henin, Schett, and Shaughnessy.

I would hardly say she only lost to top 5 players....

faboozadoo15
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:51 PM

What a stupid thing to say....

Matt01
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:21 PM

She and her fans would want to hope that Venus is far from her Wimbledon form should they meet, on the fast hard courts of the US Open

It would be really nice of you if you could stop spreading you hatred of Justine, how much she sucks on fast surfaces, how much better mighty Venus is and how Venus "owns" Henin (especially since their last match was ages ago). :mad:

As I already said in another thread, some people should stop living in the past :wavey:

rrfnpump
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:27 PM
4. Svetlana Kuznetsova: Since winning the tournament three years ago, she hasn't made many strides. She can hang with anyone, but tends to wilt against better players. Absence of competition could help her reach the semis.

He didnt get a lot right in his article, but he really got that right. :yeah:

I also think Henin will win the Open.

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:30 PM
why do sports analysis keeping picking henin to win slams on fast surfaces it just does happen much which is why she only has one us open where she beat her pigeon clijsters in the final. if you can play a clean match you can outpower justine on a grass on a fast hardcourt like the uso open. if she face venus,a healthy serena, or sharapova i dont think she win. jankovic could beat her but she seems to have no mental toughness against Justine and neither does ivanovic.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:32 PM
It would be really nice of you if you could stop spreading you hatred of Justine, how much she sucks on fast surfaces, how much better mighty Venus is and how Venus "owns" Henin (especially since their last match was ages ago). :mad:

As I already said in another thread, some people should stop living in the past :wavey:

how ironic is that as navratilova is your avatar:rolleyes:

Please find one post in which I ever said Justine sucks on fast surfaces....I'll wait........:cool:

There's nothing in Justiine's game that wasn't there in 03, except maybe she's has had a crisis of confidence at the last five or six slams she's played outside of France.

Mauresmo thrashed her A.O., and stayed mentally tough to beat her at Wimbledon after being down . Maria overwhelmed her at last years Open, she skipped the A.O. this year because her husband wanted to come out of the closet:tape: , won the French(home sweet home :lick: ) and then lead Bartoli, only to be thrashed in the final set. Compare that to her 03/04 Slam results . YOu should hope Justine remembers the past and how tough she was back then.

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:34 PM
he actually pick henin to beat venus in the latter stages of slam not on clay. laughable especially considering henins serve has a tendency to break down and if venus is in the semis she will be serving bombs and the added pressure will causes some dfs. and shavay wont make it that far although she is quite talented.

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:42 PM
They haven't played since January 2003. Venus owns a 9-1 edge. Henin's won six grand slam titles since.

They both have proven they can beat anyone in the world. Don't expect a Venus-Sharapova type result if they eventually play. Henin's foot speed will make it a competitive match. I think the result of that match-up will depend on which player can better exploit the weaknesses of the other. If Venus can assert herself early and affect Henin mentally, she has a better chance of winning. If Henin can keep Venus hitting tennis balls and drawing unforced errors, she has a better chance.

its still a bad matchup for henin no matter how long its been. henins footspeed is usually an advantage because she usually moves better than her opponents with venus that is not the case. I think venus is faster with better reach and better defending skills and considering the power of the players justine will be doing more retrieving and venus has just a good a bh as henin and a much better serve which will come in handy. big serving is part of the reason sharapova beat her last year. also venus forehand which has been here primary weakness has been holding up nicely since wimbledon.

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:44 PM
True about Justine, but you know what they say about rocks and glass houses....

*cough cough*

AMELIA ISLAND See all AMELIA ISLAND Results for WILLIAMS (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerActivity.asp?PlayerID=230220&TournamentID=803)VS, II, USA, FL, April 8, 2007, $ 600,000 , CLAY (O)

QH2H (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerHeadToHeadDetail.asp?PlayerID=230220&Player1ID=310774) (8) GOLOVIN, TATIANA FRA (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerBio.asp?PlayerID=310774)20 L 6-2 6-3

ISTANBUL See all ISTANBUL Results for WILLIAMS (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerActivity.asp?PlayerID=230220&TournamentID=1027)VS, III, TURKEY, May 26, 2007, $ 200,000 , CLAY (O)
R16H2H (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerHeadToHeadDetail.asp?PlayerID=230220&Player1ID=311791)REZAI, ARAVANE FRA (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerBio.asp?PlayerID=311791)59 L 6-4 6-4

AUSTRALIAN OPEN See all AUSTRALIAN OPEN Results for WILLIAMS (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerActivity.asp?PlayerID=230220&TournamentID=901)GS, AUSTRALIA, January 28, 2006, $ 6,137,580 , HARD (O)

R128H2H (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerHeadToHeadDetail.asp?PlayerID=230220&Player1ID=311041)PIRONKOVA, TSVETANA KIRILOVA BUL (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerBio.asp?PlayerID=311041)94 L 2-6 6-0 9-7

are all of those matches on slow and high bouncing surfaces and not a fast court like the uso. this isnt the french or a rebound ace court.

Bruno71
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:44 PM
he actually pick henin to beat venus in the latter stages of slam not on clay. laughable especially considering henins serve has a tendency to break down and if venus is in the semis she will be serving bombs and the added pressure will causes some dfs. and shavay wont make it that far although she is quite talented.

This is somewhat of a myth. Justine routinely serves matches at 40-50% first serves. Her second serve is good enough that she can get away with that most of the time. If she has this kind of service game against Venus, a lot will depend on how well Venus is reading Justine's 2nd serve.

maximus82
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:47 PM
are all of those matches on slow and high bouncing surfaces and not a fast court like the uso. this isnt the french or a rebound ace court.

That wasn't the point.

I was responding to somebody saying that Venus basically only lost to top 5 players when she was on the top. Which isn't true- when she was on the top, her losses were mostly to players out of the top 5. They almost all happened on slower surfaces, yes, just like Henin's losses to non-top five tend to happen on fast surfaces.

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:48 PM
This is somewhat of a myth. Justine routinely serves matches at 40-50% first serves. Her second serve is good enough that she can get away with that most of the time. If she has this kind of service game against Venus, a lot will depend on how well Venus is reading Justine's 2nd serve.

its was a bit shaky in her match against jelena in toronto IMO. its too bad jankovic couldnt have taken advantage of it and i dont view her 1st serve as that big of a weapon. its good but not great. and i dont think shell get away with if she is playing a venus, serena, or sharapova in the uso that percentage is too low and although her 2nd serve isnt horrible its still attackable.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:49 PM

lol

Venus is one of the most proficient returners in the game, if Justine serve's at %50 she's giving herself no chance to control the match, unless of course Venuse serves under %50

It's probably fortunate that Justine didn't meet Venus in the Wimbledon final, that would have been a bigger blow to her confidence than getting spanked by Bartoli.:eek:

Bruno71
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:50 PM
its was a bit shaky in her match against jelena in toronto IMO. its too bad jankovic couldnt have taken advantage of it and i dont view her 1st serve as that big of a weapon. its good but not great. and i dont think shell get away with if she is playing a venus, serena, or sharapova in the uso that percentage is too low and although her 2nd serve isnt horrible its still attackable.

It was a bit more shaky than usual in Toronto but she didn't double fault a hell of a lot at least. The shoulder issues apparently were very real, so that could play a factor in NYC. Both her 1st & 2nd serve can be attackable sometimes, but not highly so imo.

Bruno71
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:51 PM
lol

Venus is one of the most proficient returners in the game, if Justine serve's at %50 she's giving herself no chance to control the match, unless of course Venuse serves under %50

It's probably fortunate that Justine didn't meet Venus in the Wimbledon final, that would have been a bigger blow to her confidence than getting spanked by Bartoli.:eek:

I wouldn't laugh about that...Venus returned serve miserably against JJ at Roland Garros, and we all know what you think of JJ's serve. Which led me to say that Venus needs to get a beat on Justine's serve before she can return it to her utmost ability. I'm not saying she won't or can't do it.

Forehand_Volley
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:53 PM

Henin and Venus are tied with 35 career titles, most coming for Venus before 2003. Venus leads Henin (1-0) since 2003. They haven't met since Janruary 2003.

Venus' ONLY hardcourt victory since 2002 came in Tier III Memphis this year. Bet you didn't know that Venus has won more clay tournaments (3) the past five years than on any other surface. Venus' play has been sporadic over the past five years and she hasn't made it past the QF's at the US Open since 2002.

The only player on the planet right now that has enough game and physical attributes to beat Serena and Venus back-to-back is Henin. Wertheim acknowledges that as well.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:57 PM
It was a bit more shaky than usual in Toronto but she didn't double fault a hell of a lot at least. The shoulder issues apparently were very real, so that could play a factor in NYC. Both her 1st & 2nd serve can be attackable sometimes, but not highly so imo.

Check out her serving numbers in the second set -v- Bartoli's return of serve points won %

Ladies' Singles - Semis
Justine Henin BEL (1) 6 5 1
Match Completed

Marion Bartoli FRA (18) 1 7 6
Match Statistics PointTracker

Elapsed Time by Set: 22 57 36

Match Summary

Henin (BEL) Bartoli (FRA)

1st Serve % 23 of 42 = 55 % 31 of 37 = 84 %

Aces 1 0

Double Faults 1 1

Unforced Errors 19 10

Winning % on 1st Serve 10 of 23 = 43 % 16 of 31 = 52 %

Winning % on 2nd Serve 8 of 19 = 42 % 3 of 6 = 50 %

Winners (Including Service) 20 10

Receiving Points Won 18 of 37 = 49 % 24 of 42 = 57 %

Break Point Conversions 3 of 5 = 60 % 4 of 8 = 50 %

Net Approaches 10 of 14 = 71 % 6 of 11 = 55 %

Total Points Won 36 43

The final set of course looks even worse for Justine:help:

Bruno71
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Check out her serving numbers in the second set -v- Bartoli's return of serve points won %

Ladies' Singles - Semis
Justine Henin BEL (1) 6 5 1
Match Completed

Marion Bartoli FRA (18) 1 7 6
Match Statistics PointTracker

Elapsed Time by Set: 22 57 36

Match Summary

Henin (BEL) Bartoli (FRA)

1st Serve % 23 of 42 = 55 % 31 of 37 = 84 %

Aces 1 0

Double Faults 1 1

Unforced Errors 19 10

Winning % on 1st Serve 10 of 23 = 43 % 16 of 31 = 52 %

Winning % on 2nd Serve 8 of 19 = 42 % 3 of 6 = 50 %

Winners (Including Service) 20 10

Receiving Points Won 18 of 37 = 49 % 24 of 42 = 57 %

Break Point Conversions 3 of 5 = 60 % 4 of 8 = 50 %

Net Approaches 10 of 14 = 71 % 6 of 11 = 55 %

Total Points Won 36 43

The final set of course looks even worse for Justine:help:

Bartoli undoubtedly had a good beat on Justine's serve that day. I'm sure the statistics of their match at Eastbourne were much reversed. I'm curious as to what Justine's percentages were against Serena at RG...I seem to recall her having a rather low 1st serve %.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Henin and Venus are tied with 35 career titles, most coming for Venus before 2003. Venus leads Henin (1-0) since 2003. They haven't met since Janruary 2003.

Venus' ONLY hardcourt victory since 2002 came in Tier III Memphis this year. Bet you didn't know that Venus has won more clay tournaments (3) the past five years than on any other surface. Venus' play has been sporadic over the past five years and she hasn't made it past the QF's at the US Open since 2002.

But, you say Henin fans should hope that Venus is far from her Wimbledon form. I think Venus' fans should hope that Henin is far from her form should they meet in the US Open semifinals. I say this because of Henin's ability to dismiss S. Williams in two consecutive grand slam quarterfinals. She's much tougher than people give her credit.

Yes but that was all before Venus won her 4th Wimbledon title in blazing fashion.

Yes Justine beat Serena in two quarterfinals, once on Justine's favorite court, where she's always confident, and the other a three set struggle against an injured w/no backhand Serena. She may have gained some confidence from that, but she's not over that mental hurdle just yet, Bartoli proved that. Had she gained the confidence you speak of she would have found a way to get thru thta semi final shalacking.

Matt01
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:05 PM
There's nothing in Justiine's game that wasn't there in 03, except maybe she's has had a crisis of confidence at the last five or six slams she's played outside of France.

Mauresmo thrashed her A.O., and stayed mentally tough to beat her at Wimbledon after being down . Maria overwhelmed her at last years Open, she skipped the A.O. this year because her husband wanted to come out of the closet:tape: , won the French(home sweet home :lick: ) and then lead Bartoli, only to be thrashed in the final set. Compare that to her 03/04 Slam results . YOu should hope Justine remembers the past and how tough she was back then.

Delusional, pathetic crap. Not not worth a serious answer.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:08 PM

lucky for you because you couldn't come up with one if you had to:tape:

cecilija
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:10 PM
The only player on the planet right now that has enough game and physical attributes to beat Serena and Venus back-to-back is Henin. Wertheim acknowledges that as well.

As an Henin fan, I have to disagree with this. Gamewise she has, but she doesn't have it either mentally or physically to do that off clay at this moment.

TheAllan
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Aside from the mistakes, the Szavay pick was good fun. Was just reading his ATP report as well - for some reason he continues his peculiar habit of calling Tomas Berdych for "Tom". Like he's an old drinking buddy down at 'The Winchester'.

austennis
Aug 25th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Venus vs Sharapova final would b awesome.. as would as Ana vs Maria.. come on girls

Il Primo!
Aug 25th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Yes but that was all before Venus won her 4th Wimbledon title in blazing fashion.

Yes Justine beat Serena in two quarterfinals, once on Justine's favorite court, where she's always confident, and the other a three set struggle against an injured w/no backhand Serena. She may have gained some confidence from that, but she's not over that mental hurdle just yet, Bartoli proved that. Had she gained the confidence you speak of she would have found a way to get thru thta semi final shalacking.:) :)

Beny
Aug 25th, 2007, 11:38 AM
How old is he btw.? I don't know much about him, I've read a lot of 'reports'by him
..the report sounds..hmm..old-fashioned or..I don't know, A.Bondarenko future TOP10 :scratch: If she's the future top10, then the current TOP 30 players are all future TOP 10

Bartoli vs. Alexa Glatch: Big chance for young American to make news.
:help: If Glatch wins more than 4 games, I'll never doubt him...
Francesca Schiavone vs. Nathalie Dechy: A decent Tier-II final matchup.
Dechy has been playing so unimpressively lately... I would not watch such a Tier-II final...

The Kaz
Aug 25th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Im gunning for a Jankovic vs Hingis final :drool:

It wont happen though :sad:

asiandude
Aug 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Any williams vs sharapova would break tennis ratings.sharapova has already prepared outfit for the finals.Williams would design their own or shop on line.

AcesHigh
Aug 25th, 2007, 02:24 PM
how ironic is that as navratilova is your avatar:rolleyes:

Please find one post in which I ever said Justine sucks on fast surfaces....I'll wait........:cool:

I'd say that she was stronger in 2003 and her play was better suited to hardcourts. After the virus and various injuries, I think she lost the bulk and extra muscle, but probably improved in other areas.

Anyway, I think if Venus is in Wimbledon form, she should dismiss Henin in two unless Henin is in top form.

I wonder if Henin is mentally tough enough to defeat Serena and then Venus, if they were to both reach that point. Also, I wonder if the revenge factor will come into play. I'm sure Venus will def. want to crush the woman who has defeated her sister 3 straight slam QF's in a row.

Olórin
Aug 25th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I'm sure Venus will def. want to crush the woman who has defeated her sister 3 straight slam QF's in a row.

Id think so too, but why are you so sure Justine will beat Serena?

Olórin
Aug 25th, 2007, 02:36 PM

Like most of your posts then.

Welcome to the Serena-#1-Fan ignore list :)

AcesHigh
Aug 25th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Id think so too, but why are you so sure Justine will beat Serena?

well.. i said if they both reach that point. I'm sure Serena will want to avenge her two losses and show that she's the better player. Remember Wimbledon 2003 anyone? ;)

Olórin
Aug 25th, 2007, 02:38 PM
well.. i said if they both reach that point. I'm sure Serena will want to avenge her two losses and show that she's the better player. Remember Wimbledon 2003 anyone? ;)

I certainly do :D

However I also remember FO 03, F0 07 and Wimbledon 07:help:

Matt01
Aug 25th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Welcome to the Serena-#1-Fan ignore list :)

Good. My posts are not written for trolls anyway :) :wavey: