PDA

View Full Version : Statistical impossibility

Mudbone
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:27 PM
Every singles player that has defeated Sharapova this year is in the top half of the draw...The odds against that happening are astronomical...How can anyone believe this draw was random....Someone sat down and examined how to best assure Sharapova a spot in the Finals....

Petersmiler
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:29 PM
What's your view on the Kennedy assassination?

sfselesfan
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
Statistical impossibility? No

Statistically impracticable? Yes

Fixed? No. What part of "the draw is done in the open, with cameras, people, crowds, players, and the names are pulled out of a trophy" do you not understand?

That's just the way the cookie crumbled.

SF

LudwigDvorak
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:34 PM
This is just ridiculous. I'm not a fan of Sharapova, never have--but the conspiracy theories people make about her draws, results, supposed gamesmanship, it's just remarkable the BS that can be made.

If anything, it's a testament how Sharapova is so good that she's hardly lost to anyone in an entire half of a draw. Even if you put Ivanovic, Venus, Dementieva, and Jankovic in her half I'd still think she'd beat all of them too.

Get a grip, people.

Mudbone
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:34 PM

I didn't see it i wasn't there nor was a i born yet...But i do know there are no WMDs in Iraq

Demska
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:37 PM
What is your opinion on life outside earth?

rjd1111
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:40 PM

Fixed? No. What part of "the draw is done in the open, with cameras, people, crowds, players, and the names are pulled out of a trophy" do you not understand?

SF

What Man can devise, Man can cheat at.

ImaVeggie
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:42 PM
How exactly is the draw done? These pics on USOpen.org show people picking names out of a trophy.

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/3549/picture1qs3.png

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8205/picture2oc5.png

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2649/picture4ja5.png

What's the brief lowdown?

sammy01
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:45 PM
it is a very easy half she has! i think it wasnt fixed but she is one very lucky girl! all sharapova fans no she has a cake walk thats why they have kept quiet! its not her fault but it is annoying if your not a fan!

sfselesfan
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:45 PM
This should be interesting...I want to hear the theories of how this is done...especially when you think that all of those people watching are reporters...and there are players present.

SF

Mikey B
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:46 PM
another boring sharapova thread! leave the girl alone!!! no other player gets so many negative and pointless threads made about them, so stop making them about maria!

tenn_ace
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:54 PM
Every singles player that has defeated Sharapova this year is in the top half of the draw...The odds against that happening are astronomical...How can anyone believe this draw was random....Someone sat down and examined how to best assure Sharapova a spot in the Finals....

time to change nick to Mudbraine? :p Obviously.

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:57 PM
another boring sharapova thread! leave the girl alone!!! no other player gets so many negative and pointless threads made about them, so stop making them about maria!

nope...

Serena Venus and Masha all have the same amount of useless threads made about them :wavey:

Bijoux0021
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:01 PM
What Man can devise, Man can cheat at.
EXACTLY!

faboozadoo15
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:10 PM
I have a feeling Mudbone should keep his conversations away from semi-scholarly subjects like math and statistics.

Mudbone
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:42 PM

SF

Yes we all know its impossible to deceive the public with camara's rolling...No magician ever got rich doing slight of hand in public with camera's rolling....Heck people wake up...It doesn't matter who draws a name from a cup in public...Its whats in the cup that determines that...Its very easy to fix a draw in public.....

JeremySun
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:45 PM
Or, they could just put the names they want into the trophy in advance, before the draw ceremony so they get the draw they want.... that's rigging.

faboozadoo15
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Or, they could just put the names they want into the trophy in advance, before the draw ceremony so they get the draw they want.... that's rigging.

:haha: Everyone's names?

JeremySun
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:48 PM
:haha: Everyone's names?

How do you know there are no "chambers" inside the trophy? The names for the rigged draws are put inside different "chambers" before the draw ceremony.

Serenita
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:49 PM
I didn't see it i wasn't there nor was a i born yet...But i do know there are no WMDs in Iraq

damn :tape: :tape:

Donny
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:50 PM
Not that I subscribe to the rigging theory, but to imply that something which amounts to picking names out of a hat can't possibly be rigged is pretty naive.

The coins in the cup could possibly have markings or ridges on it, like special sets of playing cards do, so people choosing would know which coin is which. Crude, but effective.

Let me reiterate though: I do not think the draws are rigged.

faboozadoo15
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:58 PM
How do you know there are no "chambers" inside the trophy? The names for the rigged draws are put inside different "chambers" before the draw ceremony.

And then the little four year old girl whispers to Pmac and elderly random couple not to pick the names from these alleged "chambers" until Maria Sharapova can get a good draw, right?

sfselesfan
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:00 PM
So I guess every time Mary Joe reached her hand in she felt through all of the tiles for the one with Sharapova's or Venus' particular ridges...

...NOT.

How do you explain when they allow others to draw out of the cup? Is everyone in on it? The press too?

(BTW - I realize you don't subscribe to it, but you're the only one to try at a theory.)

SF

jonny84
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
Not a fix - just luck for Sharapova.

And think about it - it depends on the seedings too. If Ana had been ranked 4 at the start of the week, she would have been seeded 4.............. Then she would have been on Maria's side of the draw!

sfselesfan
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:02 PM
Yes we all know its impossible to deceive the public with camara's rolling...No magician ever got rich doing slight of hand in public with camera's rolling....Heck people wake up...It doesn't matter who draws a name from a cup in public...Its whats in the cup that determines that...Its very easy to fix a draw in public.....

Everyone...may I have your attention...INTRODUCING...

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/vshtml/houdini2.gif

...MARY JOE FERNANDEZ!

SF

canuckfan
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:11 PM
Yeah obviously having Sharapova in the final is worth the risk of having one the biggest scandal in sports and losing millions of dollars in sponsorship. It makes sense...

And if you're rigging the draw, it sure is a good idea to make the #1 player in the world and arguably the most popular player play each other in the quarters. It definitely makes sense...

:rolleyes:

starin
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:18 PM
the best draw she could have ever hoped for. All 3 players who have destroyed and embarrassed her at the previous 3 slams are on the other half and what's more have to face off against each other relatively early. Sharapova is one lucky lukcy girl. Let's see if she can capitalize on it.

JeremySun
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:18 PM
Yeah obviously having Sharapova in the final is worth the risk of having one the biggest scandal in sports and losing millions of dollars in sponsorship. It makes sense...

And if you're rigging the draw, it sure is a good idea to make the #1 player in the world and arguably the most popular player play each other in the quarters. It definitely makes sense...

:rolleyes:

They already control the "tennis world". We fans have no say, do we? ;)

Kworb
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:59 PM
~1.04%

Not impossible

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:16 PM
no , Masha looses to high ranked players only if she looses , that's how she keeps her rank of top 4 for about 3 years , accept that, and Vadisova , Kusnetsova are hard , if you think that both are so easy for her , that means she's so good , davaiiii Masha http://smiles.al-wed.com/smiles/62/russiaC.gif

GracefulVenus
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:17 PM

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! How clever!

Petersmiler
Aug 24th, 2007, 11:56 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/entertainment_goblet_of_fire/img/8.jpg

As Miss Chakvedatze attempted to pull Ana Ivanovic's name out of the goblet a strange thing happened............

Goai
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Maybe they pick it out the cup and then lie

Shvedbarilescu
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Clearly this is a scandal of unprecidented proportions. There is no way this could have been pulled off without everyone involved in the draw being in on it. Once this gets out in the open many reputations will be ruined and it is going to take the game of tennis at least 20 years to recover from the shame. But all we can do right now is thank Mudbone for drawing to our attention this sinister and most disturbing plot.

powerbackhand
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:56 PM

SF

oh like there wasnt someones hand inside the trophy handing the names out:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :tape: :tape:

GoDominique
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I guess we are talking about Ivanovic, Zvonareva, Rezai, Jankovic and Williams x2 here?

The likelihood of all of them ending up in the top half was 1.04%, or 1 in 96.
So it's certainly interesting, but no proof for riggedness.

GoDominique
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Oh too late.

JeremySun
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:50 PM
GS draws tend to be top heavy bottom light. Venus' draw at Wimbledon was crap. She just had to beat Ana to win.

GoDominique
Aug 25th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Bump so we can discuss this topic simultaneously in two threads.