PDA

View Full Version : Both Williams sisters to play on US Open's 1st night after Gibson tribute

vw.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:19 PM
Both Williams sisters to play on US Open's 1st night after Gibson tribute

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-usopen-williamsnight&prov=ap&type=lgns

NEW YORK (AP) -- Serena Williams was the first black woman since Althea Gibson to win the U.S. Open. Venus Williams was the first black woman since Gibson to win Wimbledon.

Fittingly, both of the Williams sisters' first-round matches at this year's U.S. Open have been scheduled for Monday night at Arthur Ashe Stadium -- right after a tribute marking the 50th anniversary of Gibson's first Grand Slam singles title.

The back-to-back Williams matches under the lights on the tournament's first day were to be announced by the U.S. Tennis Association on Thursday. The No. 8-seeded Serena Williams will play Angelique Kerber of Germany, while No. 12 Venus Williams was drawn to face a qualifier.

In 1950, Gibson became the first black man or woman to play in the U.S. National Championships, the tournament that became the U.S. Open. She won the event in 1957 and 1958 for two of her five Grand Slam singles titles.

Gibson also broke the color barrier at Wimbledon, which she won in 1957 and 1958, and on the LPGA Tour.

When Gibson died in 2003, Venus Williams said: "I am grateful to Althea Gibson for having the strength and courage to break through the racial barriers in tennis. Her accomplishments set the stage for my success, and through players like myself, Serena, and many others to come, her legacy will live on."

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:21 PM
:woohoo: only fitting of course....would have been a disgrace if anyone else had played

vw.
Im SO happy! They will be playing on Wednesday which I have tickets for! (assuming they both win their first rounders) I'm excited to see them hopefully.

This is also so fitting to have them both playing after the Gibson tribute. :worship:

Also, this answers questions about which half is playing when: Top Half Monday, Bottom Half Tuesday. :wavey:

sfselesfan
Right On! I love watching them play back to back.

SF

southpaw58
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:23 PM
oh yea! haha i'm really excited now! two sisters, under the new york lights, celebrating Althea Gibson...i'll def be watching that shit!

~Cherry*Blossom~
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:24 PM
what a way to open the night proceedings at the US Open!!!

DA FOREHAND
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:25 PM
it's about ratings and money folks ....That's star power!

AcesHigh
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:25 PM
:bounce: OMG.. the best news ever..

I'll be there to watch them.. i'm so excited :woohoo:

RenaSlam.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:28 PM
:worship:

Who's better than them? No one.

Go Williams!

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:29 PM
Im SO happy! They will be playing on Wednesday which I have tickets for! (assuming they both win their first rounders) I'm excited to see them hopefully.

This is also so fitting to have them both playing after the Gibson tribute. :worship:

Also, this answers questions about which half is playing when: Top Half Monday, Bottom Half Tuesday. :wavey:

this is also better especially when it comes to the 2nd week since their 3rd rd matches will be on friday

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:31 PM
That's just :worship:

I guess I'm kinda glad that they're on the same half JUST for this :worship:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:34 PM
awesome-an even better tribute to gibson :worship:

pierce0415
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:36 PM
:speakles:
I am going Monday
hopefully Zi Yan qualifies and gets one of the spots in the top 1/2 :dance:

sfselesfan
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:36 PM
This will really get New York fired up in favor of the WS, even more than ever. It's been a couple of years since they both played the same USO. NYC will go nuts over this.

If I were playing them in the 1R, I'd be so pissed. Normally some in the crowd will support the underdog...but I don't think that's gunna happen this time.

SF

Infiniti2001
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:44 PM
How fitting http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/329/goodthumbsupbs7.gif

Tennisstar86
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:46 PM
this doesnt surprise me... nor is it for gibson in my opinion..... most of their matches will be at night probably... .as they want ratings... and who gives them the best ratings? the williams sisters...

tennisIlove09
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:47 PM
Wow, Monday night under the lights. New York will be on fire!
I hope Serena doesnt withdraw

jonny84
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:50 PM
That is a fitting tribute, and a star night of tennis.

sharafann
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:55 PM
:sad: I wanted to see maria monday night:sad: ..anyway it's a good decision from the usta

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:55 PM
Wow, Monday night under the lights. New York will be on fire!
I hope Serena doesnt withdraw

I doubt she will seeing as this is something i think she will really want to do...even if she has to come with IV fluid

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
Opening night is gonna be hot. :banana:

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:57 PM
yeah, I think she'd risk losing her first GS 1st round match before she W/D :hearts:

tennisIlove09
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:58 PM
I doubt she will seeing as this is something i think she will really want to do...even if she has to come with IV fluid

I am sure she will make an appearance regardless, but i doubt seriously that she will risk further injury if her hand has not healed.

akosijepoy
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:59 PM
YES!!!
The want the ratings! haha!
But very fitting after the tribute! :)

cometz9
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:00 PM
Fantastic news, they'll be rocking the house that night :rocker2:

Expat
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:00 PM
i am booked for monday night
whos joining me to watch them
go venus
go serena

One Proud Veetard

darice
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:02 PM
When Gibson died in 2003, Venus Williams said: "I am grateful to Althea Gibson for having the strength and courage to break through the racial barriers in tennis. Her accomplishments set the stage for my success, and through players like myself, Serena, and many others to come, her legacy will live on."

classy vee :hug:

Bijoux0021
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:05 PM
To me it's not really good news. This is a sham, a cover-up for that ridiculous, shameless USOpen draw. There's nothing "random" about this draw and so many before it. This is USTA's way of using these black tennis players to make it seems like they care about their struggles with racism, which is still exist in tennis today. It's all a pretense. I bet Venus and Serena and their family are not being fooled by this. It would have been a lot more fitting to have the sisters on opposite sides of the draw so we could see one of them play each day or night.

Rest in peace, Ms Althea Gibson.

Viktymise
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:07 PM
Should be great ;)

Tennisstar86
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:12 PM
To me it's not really good news. This is a sham, a cover-up for that ridiculous, shameless USOpen draw. There's nothing "random" about this draw and so many before it. This is USTA's way of using these black tennis players to make it seems like they care about their struggles with racism, which is still exist in tennis today. It's all a pretense. I bet Venus and Serena and their family are not being fooled by this. It would have been a lot more fitting to have the sisters on opposite sides of the draw so we could see one of them play each day or night.

umm.....:help: :help: :confused: :help:

Bijoux0021
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:12 PM
This will really get New York fired up in favor of the WS, even more than ever. It's been a couple of years since they both played the same USO. NYC will go nuts over this.

If I were playing them in the 1R, I'd be so pissed. Normally some in the crowd will support the underdog...but I don't think that's gunna happen this time.
SF
Oh it will happen.

Expat
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:13 PM

hey i am one Williams fan
and i acknowledge racism exists in tennis but no tournament can afford to alienate its biggest draws and the US open is not mad to do that
and the US open draws its highest ratings when the williams sisters are playing

the draw is random and theres nothing that can be done against it
just look at how indian wells is suffering since the williams sisters boycotted it

bottomline is the williams sisters are the only ones holding American tennis at this moment
and even if they are racist the US Open cannot afford to make itself lose money by the absence of the Williams sisters
theres no way they fixed this draw
the only way they can avoid each other is playing more tournaments and being ranked 1 and 2
maria's got lucky peace be to all
may god bless Althea Gibson

tennisfan5
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:15 PM
nice idea, but does that mean that the night session will last all of the 1 hour it will take V&S to win their matches:lol: The tribute will probably take longer.

Infiniti2001
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:16 PM

For once can't you see beyond black and white? :tape:

tonythetiger
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:16 PM
Great news!!

Bijoux0021
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:25 PM
hey i am one Williams fan
and i acknowledge racism exists in tennis but no tournament can afford to alienate its biggest draws and the US open is not mad to do that
and the US open draws its highest ratings when the williams sisters are playing

the draw is random and theres nothing that can be done against it
just look at how indian wells is suffering since the williams sisters boycotted it

bottomline is the williams sisters are the only ones holding American tennis at this moment
and even if they are racist the US Open cannot afford to make itself lose money by the absence of the Williams sisters
theres no way they fixed this draw

maria's got lucky peace be to all
may god bless Althea Gibson
There is nothing "lucky" about one player getting all the easy draws all the damn time, except Miami this year. The only reason she got Venus at Wimbledon this year was because very few people thought Venus would win. Notice Sharapova didn't get Serena.

Bijoux0021
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:27 PM
For once can't you see beyond black and white? :tape:
As long as racism exists, nope.

V-MAC
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:39 PM
:lol: woohoo, pretty much certain then that I'll get to see Vee's 1st round match live :)

Mikey B
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:48 PM
not a suprise... would be ridiculous if they didnt play that night! lol!! should be a good opening day!

-VSR-
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:48 PM
I know what I'm doing Monday night! :lol:

Tennisstar86
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:56 PM
There is nothing "lucky" about one player getting all the easy draws all the damn time, except Miami this year. The only reason she got Venus at Wimbledon this year was because very few people thought Venus would win. Notice Sharapova didn't get Serena.

lol Venus williams 4th round at wimbledon and not something anyone wants to see.....EVER. Getting Venus was definately not rigged... but unlucky for sharapova...

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:06 PM

I have to disagree this time....even if people have horrible motives but do the right things then who wins? read the story of Joseph in Genesis with his brothers...even though his brothers had horrible motives look at how it worked out for him the way God intended....not all things done with wrong motives is wrong....

Bijoux0021
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:13 PM
I have to disagree this time....even if people have horrible motives but do the right things then who wins? read the story of Joseph in Genesis with his brothers...even though his brothers had horrible motives look at how it worked out for him the way God intended....not all things done with wrong motives is wrong....
I accept that.

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:18 PM
I accept that.

ty....but i can also appreciate why you would see it the way you do ;)

Bijoux0021
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
ty....but i can also appreciate why you would see it the way you do ;)
Thank you.

ce
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
back to back :inlove:
i am so happy

faboozadoo15
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:24 PM
nice idea, but does that mean that the night session will last all of the 1 hour it will take V&S to win their matches:lol: The tribute will probably take longer.

Federer or Nadal beating some ATP scrub would be even more boring as a night match and would only take like 20-30 minutes longer. Also there's little special about that. (PS, what side of the men's draw plays on monday anyway?)

This is a very special choice, and good on them. The stands will be electric monday night. we should all tune in.

In The Zone
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
:o

I am going to the Tuesday Day Session, boxed seats at Ashe. I was hoping Venus was going to be the Day. And Sharapova will of course be at night for that half. Who will I get, Sveta? :o

venus_rulez
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:49 PM

So it's not ok to "rig" the draw when it works against the Sisters or helps Sharapova but it's ok to rig the draw to have them on opposite sides of the draw so you can see them everyday?

hablo
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:03 PM
Cool. :smoke:

Knizzle
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:06 PM
Nice! :woohoo:

vw.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:20 PM
:o

I am going to the Tuesday Day Session, boxed seats at Ashe. I was hoping Venus was going to be the Day. And Sharapova will of course be at night for that half. Who will I get, Sveta? :o

Nadal or Federer? If the one playing on Tues doesn't get the night match.

Radix2
Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:24 PM
That is wonderful news. What a fitting tribute to Althea Gibson.

Serenita
Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:48 PM
:woohoo: Come on Serena, Venus

winone23
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:44 PM
Really good news GO V&S!!!!