PDA

View Full Version : Will seles dominate this summer's hard court season?

selesadmirer
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:04 PM
I certainly think so,she has the game and definetly the will and she has been working on her fitness the last few weeks.I would say she will be 3 seed at the open possibly 2.Give your opinions.

TS
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Well you're asking for it now aren't you? :rolleyes:

Good luck to Monica, I hope she has a great season.

babsi
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:10 PM
I am a big fan of Monica, but I can see why 'certain' other fans get upset with you.

RAA
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:12 PM
No I don't think she'll dominate. I think she'll do well, but dominate? no.
you are right that she *might* catch Jen for the #3 spot because I think they are pretty close right now.

I wish her the best of luck.

ttaM
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:12 PM
I think she will reach a few finals. Might even win won. I don't think it will be a clean sweep dominance. She is the #2 seed in Stanford so she could reach the final. Not sure about the other tournaments. Good luck, Monica! :)

Mark43
Jul 11th, 2002, 03:05 PM
I think that would be great, but I seriously doubt it. Monica had an amazing hard court season last summer ('cept for the Open) and I hope she can keep it up again this year. She has a lot of points to defend though... didn't she beat then number 1 Hingis twice last summer?? Thats a lot of points. Maybe she can knock off Serena a few times in the next two months!!!

Ryan
Jul 11th, 2002, 03:24 PM
No, she won't. Last year she was in as good of shape she'll get in, and she may make a final and push Serena, but won't have as good a hardcourt season as last year.

wave
Jul 11th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Oh come on. You should stop being so provocative.

Monica was in good shape during last years summer and had some big wins against top ten players. But it would be wrong to say that she was dominating then and since she has not such a big rest this year, her chances are not higher. Domination is what Serena is doing right now. Even Venus is not dominating in the moment. So it would be very hard for Monica to achieve a domination. But I hope that she can do well, reach some finals and maybe winning one or two.
Go Monica!

Jarrett
Jul 11th, 2002, 03:35 PM
http://www.monicaseles.de/2001/wtt01/01wtt.jpg

If she is in the same shape she was in last year (see above) then I see Monica as a contender in each tournament she enters. Look at those legs!

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 11th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Dominate, NO!!!!
Winning big matches YES!!!!

Dirty Sanchez
Jul 11th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Definitley won't Dominate it but she might have a few good runs and maybe even a trophy.

Volcana
Jul 11th, 2002, 06:36 PM
You're delusional. :)

Domination? No. Monica could win one of the 4 Tier II's. That's about the limit. The draw would have to open up for her to take Toronto. And the USOpen? With Lindsay and Martina both back? Let's just say she has a better chance than any non-American in the top ten but Justine.

The #2 ranking is totally out of reach, barring one of the Williamses not playing til the USOpen.

midora
Jul 11th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Will seles dominate the hardcourt season?

um lets see. . . that answer would be No.

Kart
Jul 11th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Good luck to Monica in the hardcourt season :).

ttaM
Jul 11th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Let's just say she has a better chance than any non-American in the top ten but Justine.

I think I heard this last year, too :rolleyes:

Elleke
Jul 11th, 2002, 07:52 PM
umh.. also NO!!
hope kim will be better... :kiss:
but there are the williams.. so domination of seles :)

Elleke
Jul 11th, 2002, 07:53 PM
ow SO : NO domination
srry

hantuchova_rulez
Jul 11th, 2002, 08:05 PM
First you have to try and stop the domination of the Williams, [serena atm], and that's gonna be hard enough!

Any other player challenging them would be good in my opinion, so GO SELES [and others too!]

villa
Jul 11th, 2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by GoMonica

I think I heard this last year, too :rolleyes:

Yeah but she didn't dominate last summer, how many titles did she win?? yep thats right none, she beat martina twice, woohoo.

She might win a title but thats about it...

selesrules
Jul 11th, 2002, 09:08 PM
My answer to the question in the topic title is:

YES.

Ryan
Jul 11th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Let's just say she has a better chance than any non-American in the top ten but Justine.

I don't even agree with THAT. I think she might have better chances then Amelie, Jelena, Justine, and maybe Kim if she plays like she has been lately.

Sean
Jul 11th, 2002, 09:35 PM
selesadmirer - what drugs are u on?

Monica_Rules
Jul 11th, 2002, 09:39 PM
I don't she'll dominate but she'll do very well! Last year was great beating Jenny,Serena and Martina twice plus beating Justine 1-6 6-2 6-2 when she was clearly tired then ripped her apart!

I think she'll have a great summer and hopefully finally win San Diego!:D

earthcrystal
Jul 11th, 2002, 10:15 PM
No, Monica won't dominate... (stupid question)

What she will do is what she always does. Play her heart out. Win some tough matches. Be humble and call herself lucky. Lose some tough matches. Give credit to her opponents. Treat her fans to great tennis. Sign a ton of autographs. Say "thank you" alot. Smile alot. And with a lot of sweat and a little luck, maybe hoist a trophy or (I hope) two.

Isn't that enough?!

(If not, perhaps you should change your username.)

R. DIS
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:52 PM
Monica hasn't done anything since Miami. Her game has been totally off and she has lost to all the top players. I don't know what's happened to her game but it has disappeared. On top of that she has lost much of her fitness. She looks like she did in 2000. So I can't see her have any big wins this summer. She'll lose in the quarters and semis of most tournaments, depending on the draw.

venusfan
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:58 PM
Only in her Dreams.. She will probably beat out Jennifer for the #3 ranking and could probably make it to the semi of some tournaments but hard to see her winning one.

CanIGetAWhat
Jul 12th, 2002, 12:05 AM
IMO Monica won't get the No. 3 seed. she has more points to defend than Jennifer (also remember that Monica defeated Martina twice when Martina was still the No. 1 ranked player - 100 bonus points)

every player has a chance to dominate this summer, Lindsay did it in 98, Venus did it in 00 and 01, who knows, this year could be Monica's :)

selesadmirer
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:48 AM
sean im not on drugs....and i hope she proves you wrong.....and babsi what r u talkin about...seles has the game to dominate and she should never be underestimated.

Couver
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:37 AM
I am confident she will have a good hardcourt season. I just really hope she takes it easy. When Monica is rested she plays her best tennis.

She has a good shot at being in several of the finals and perhaps even winning some of the tournaments she's in. But I would prefer her to save herself for a good showing at the open, because then she can move her ranking up.

GO Monica

LucasArg
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Hingis and Davenport returns to action, the willies are always there , cappy, daniela, jelena, justine, kim, amelie....

I think she can win good matches, but dominate everybody up there, it is a hard job:)

Good Luck Monica:wavey:

vancouverite
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Earthcrystal...the voice of reason in an insane world (sigh!):)

No way Monica will 'dominate' - the competition is simply too tough for any one player to do that at the moment (though Serena makes a good case...). Believe me, NO ONE will underestimate Monica, but even a diehard fan has to be realistic. I predict she'll do exactly as Earthcrystal suggests, and the tennis-watching public will continue to be grateful for precisely that!

Go Monica!!!

selesadmirer
Jul 12th, 2002, 03:08 PM
We all know that monica can do good if she is fit,she looked more fit in wimbledon than in roland garros,she is continuing to get more fit,and last year i talked to mike sell,and monica wants to win the open......let determination be a factor

earthcrystal
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:43 PM
vancouverite...a voice in the darkness that lets one know one not writing in invisible ink! ;)

Nice to know I'm not alone in my admiration-sans-hype. Now, how to teach the youngsters...

*sigh*

vancouverite
Jul 13th, 2002, 07:01 PM
By example, Earthcrystal...by example! And believe me, you and - in a slightly quirkier way - disposablehero - never fail to enlighten, enrich, and entertain! If the young-uns can't learn from that...well, more's the pity for them. Mind you, that's not to say us ol' fogies (relatively speaking...) lack anything in the enthusiasm-for-Monica department; just means we can temper it with a more 'cosmic' view of things

Keep up the even-keel inspiration!!

(oh yeah...go Monica!);)

Grant
Jul 13th, 2002, 09:12 PM
you tell 'em earthcrystal!!!

hi btw :wavey: