PDA

View Full Version : Dokic/Lucic: are they past the point of no return?

marycarillosucks
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
both of these former rising stars were making big pronouncements about comebacks at the start of the year, but the season is pretty much over and neither has been heard from in months. It seems like no matter how long they stay out, there are people still expecting them to return.

DownTheLine21
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:02 PM
I don't expect either to return.

jonny84
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:02 PM
Dokic played two Challengers (qualifying for Challengers) this year , but didnt have much success in them.

I was hoping for big things for her, since she won the WC for the Australian Open in 2006, and she missed a matchpoint against Razzano in the 1R. :sad:

Hope Jelena comes back. Waste of talent. I think her problems with her father plagued her deeply.

Slutiana
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:04 PM
jelena's on the entry list for a 10k in september

patch.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:32 PM
Dokic on the ALT. list for a $10k in Casale, Italy (Clay)

http://www.itftennis.com/womens/tournaments/tournamentacceptancelist.asp?tournament=1100016036&event=&order=Position

FORZA SARITA
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:37 PM
Dokic on the ALT. list for a $10k in Casale, Italy (Clay)

http://www.itftennis.com/womens/tournaments/tournamentacceptancelist.asp?tournament=1100016036&event=&order=Position

she has no rank?

patch.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:39 PM
she has no rank?

Thats because right now she dosnt have one ;)
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/Playerbio.asp?PlayerID=40344 - WTA Profile with Rank

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Jelena's pretty much finished, because no matter how many times she takes a long break and enters 10K's again, she just doesnt have the motivation to make a full fledged comeback. And plus, she continues to work with the Bikictards who do absolutely nothing to help her and she refuses every offer TA throws her way to help get her focused on tennis. I'll support her forever, and wish her the best of luck in her life, but in my opinion, her time is officially done.

From the few matches Lucic has played this year, her results seemed promising. She even had a win over Elena Vesnina and played a very tight second set against Chakvetadze in Indian Wells. I think Mirjana has similar motivation problems, and she doesnt seem to be willing to work her way up from the bottom, even though thats what she needs to do. Cant just rely on handouts. That said, I think if Mirjana was committed to coming back and working her way up properly, she might still be able to have some type of success.

Anyway, the chances that either of them will return to respectability is slim to none, but if I had to give one the better chance, it would be Lucic, purely based on a couple of promising matches she's played this year. Dokic, even when she was playing last year and earlier this year, was still struggling in 10k's.

marycarillosucks
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:05 PM
Jelena's pretty much finished, because no matter how many times she takes a long break and enters 10K's again, she just doesnt have the motivation to make a full fledged comeback. And plus, she continues to work with the Bikictards who do absolutely nothing to help her and she refuses every offer TA throws her way to help get her focused on tennis. I'll support her forever, and wish her the best of luck in her life, but in my opinion, her time is officially done.

From the few matches Lucic has played this year, her results seemed promising. She even had a win over Elena Vesnina and played a very tight second set against Chakvetadze in Indian Wells. I think Mirjana has similar motivation problems, and she doesnt seem to be willing to work her way up from the bottom, even though thats what she needs to do. Cant just rely on handouts. That said, I think if Mirjana was committed to coming back and working her way up properly, she might still be able to have some type of success.

Anyway, the chances that either of them will return to respectability is slim to none, but if I had to give one the better chance, it would be Lucic, purely based on a couple of promising matches she's played this year. Dokic, even when she was playing last year and earlier this year, was still struggling in 10k's.

thanks for the news. It's surprising that Lucic would beat a Top 50 player and then not enter any more tournaments the rest of the year. If she could beat a Top 50 player, you'd have to think she's capable of winning some challengers - even if she had to play qualifying to enter them.

Darop.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:14 PM
Jeca and Mirjana...Two of my greatest faves... *sigh*

And I completely agree with what Dave said. Though I think Jelena has a little bit of motivation, but if she keeps staying around those goddamn Bikics there's no way she can grow.

Just Do It
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:19 PM
Everybody will start talkking about Jelena before Australian Open, it is always the same story. Too bad Jelena didin accept Tennis Aus.'s offer to train with them in London :sad: