PDA

View Full Version : Does the unbalanced draw at the US Open mean there's not much depth on the WTA tour

DA FOREHAND
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
So many people are complaining about the top heavy draw. Would it be top heavy if there were more depth in the game?

If all of the top ten ranked players were considered serious threats to the title would there be so many complaints?

What i've heard here is Sveta, Anna, Nadia, and Dani have no chance of making the bottom half matches compelling.

Shepster
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
So many people are complaining about the top heavy draw. Would it be top heavy if there were more depth in the game?

If all of the top ten ranked players were considered serious threats to the title would there be so many complaints?

What i've heard here is Sveta, Anna, Nadia, and Dani have no chance of making the bottom half matches compelling.
Sadly, there's more than a little in that. If you look at times in the past where the Williamses have been in the same half there is a lot more depth :

Wimbledon 05 :
TOP : Lindsay, Kim, Sveta, Amelie, Elena
BOTTOM : Henin, Serena, Venus, Mary (that's 1 1/4) and Sharapova

US Open 05 :
TOP : Sharapova, Sveta, Kim, Venus, Serena
BOTTOM : Henin, Mary, Myskina, Amelie, Elena, Lindsay.

Without Lindsay, Kim, Mary and Amelie the bottom of Wimbledon 05 and top of US 05 would have been the same. Ana and JJ have not replaced Lindsay, Mary and Kim and Amelie's absence has screwed the draw.

Had Amelie played she, Serena and Venus would all have been in the bottom half.

jujufreak
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:27 PM
Had Amelie played she, Serena and Venus would all have been in the bottom half.

:mad: it's all her fault :mad:

:p

frontier
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:28 PM
A potential fourth rd match between Maria and Nicole is going to be a lot of fun.I think Nicole is capable of upsetting pova because she usually rises to the occasion at GS.I am confident that Maria wont win this meeting because Nicole hits equally hard and moves better than Maria,even if she is coming off illness she must have been practicing and I think wants to surprise a few people.

Shepster
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:31 PM
I am confident that Maria wont win this meeting because Nicole hits equally hard and moves better than Maria
Yet mentally she is nowhere near Sharapova. I really like Nicole and I hate saying it, but if you consider how Ivanovic beat her at the last grand slam it was Nicole falling off mentally that did it. Against someone like Sharapova you cannot afford to do that.

Mudbone
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:57 PM
What it really means is the draw is not random....Since Larry Scott proclaimed Maria the Golden Girl, she has had the easiest draw at each major....

DA FOREHAND
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:14 PM
What it really means is the draw is not random....Since Larry Scott proclaimed Maria the Golden Girl, she has had the easiest draw at each major....

a lot of good it's done her if that's true, and i don't think it is. Lest people forget Maria beat Justine in the final :worship:

Direwolf
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
actually there is still that depth...
but... look at it this way...
those players in the bottom half are like 2nd tier players...
they would win if the top half arent there..

i mean.. theyre very streaky...theyre not as consistent with their game
comparing to the top half...

they could probably beat the top half like 2/10 tries..

SvetaPleaseWin.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:17 PM
the draw is lopsided but it still looks way more interesting than the mens:)

Demska
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:19 PM
People get picked out of a hat and put on a board at random.

How the hell does that suggest the depth of the WTA? :spit:

Tennisstar86
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:21 PM
Yet mentally she is nowhere near Sharapova. I really like Nicole and I hate saying it, but if you consider how Ivanovic beat her at the last grand slam it was Nicole falling off mentally that did it. Against someone like Sharapova you cannot afford to do that.

I agree... I think Nicole can win this match if she plays the way she was playing earlier in the year. At wimbledon she choked... lots of players choked there and she was one of them....But if she plays with no fear which is what ive seen her do before she should win this match..... I wont be surprised by whoever wins this encounter...

woosey
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
it's means all the depth is in the top half of the draw.

sfselesfan
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:32 PM
http://media.houston.indymedia.org/uploads/2006/01/gimme-a-fucking-break.jpg

The fact that there are six top contenders and a ton of potential winners is a sign that depth is fine. The fact that nearly all of the top contenders are on the top says nothing about the depth. The fact that it is unbalanced is a sign that the draw is deep.

If depth was poor, the draw would be balanced...because the #1 and #2 players would be on opposite sides of the draw.

SF

Volcana
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
What it really means is the draw is not random....Since Larry Scott proclaimed Maria the Golden Girl, she has had the easiest draw at each major....What exactly is Larry Scott's position in the ITF? He sure got her an easy draw at Wimbledon, didn't he?

faboozadoo15
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:39 PM
This is the first time in recent years that when the Williams sisters are on the same side of the draw that Maria isn't there with them.

Donny
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:56 PM
What exactly is Larry Scott's position in the ITF? He sure got her an easy draw at Wimbledon, didn't he?

The ITF doesn't control either the drawings or the seeds at Wimbledon.

soul
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:58 PM

I defintely agree.A gifted draw for Maria nearly.This is the third time Serena and Justine are at the same half of the draw.First French,then Wimbledon and now US Open. And also it is a replay of last year US open final for Justine and Jelena.
Shortly I didnt like the draw. And it is ufair for Justine who has the number 1 spot since for a while.