PDA

View Full Version : So-called cakewalk draws

U.nwitzig
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:35 AM
I wonder why almost everyone on WTAtour.com seems to agree that the bottom half of the US Open Draw is nothing but a "cakewalk draw" for Sharapova. As I see it, there are some serious contenders for the US Open title even within the bottom half of the draw, i.e.:

Svetlana Kuznetsova - Former US-Open-Champion; recent form might not be that great, but she nevertheless had some impressive wins this year: Justine Henin at Berlin Open, Venus Williams at Warsaw...

Anna Chakvetadze - Had a great US hardcourt-season so far, winning titles in Stanford and Cinncinnati, defeating Venus Williams at San Diego

Nicole Vaidisova - Reached SF at Australian Open, just returning from injury, but that applies to Serena Williams as well

Maria Sharapova - Australian Open-runner up, just won first title of the season at San Diego

I really don't understand why everbody who is neither from Serbia and Belgium nor part of the Williams family is not supposed to pose a threat at the US Open.

winone23
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:41 AM
get real cakewalk draws exist!!

Привет
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
read again. he/she isn't saying they don't exist. he/she is saying that he/she does not believe the US Open 07 is a cakewalk draw. this draw is fairly balanced. the top half is the harder section to be in though.

tennnisfannn
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:15 AM
surely you jest, all the slam winners of this year, the form players the serbians all all to fight each other just to make the final.
Granted anna c and sveta arein the bottom half but this year they haven't proven themselves better than the serbs.

Ntour
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:18 AM
how is it not a cakewalk draw???

in the bottom half maria and sveta

top half, justine, Serena, Venus, Ivanovic, Jankovic

chakvetadze doesn't threaten the top players at all (venus is her only significant win against a real top player), so she is not even considered as a contender
if you don't believe me look at the odds, all the top odds players are in the top half

all three slam champs this year in the top half,

Brαm
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:23 AM
So, according to you, the contenders from the bottom half are
* Svetlana Kuznetsova, despite not playing well recently
* Anna Chakvetadze
* Nicole Vaidisova, coming back from injury
* Maria Sharapova

Top half contenders are:
* Justine Henin, number one, 2003 winner, undefeated on US hardcourts this Summer
* Serena Williams, 1999 and 2002 winner + winner of AO and Miami,
* Jelena Jankovic
* Venus Williams, 2000 & 2001 winner + Wimbledon champion
* Ana Ivanovic, LA winner

Now, which half looks more impressive to you? :o

Ntour
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:26 AM
* Svetlana Kuznetsova, despite not playing well recently
* Anna Chakvetadze
* Maria Sharapova

Top half contenders are:
* Justine Henin, number one, 2003 winner, undefeated on US hardcourts this Summer
* Serena Williams, 1999 and 2002 winner + winner of AO and Miami,
* Jelena Jankovic

Now, which half looks more impressive to you? :o

with just those players there is 3 slam singles titles in the bottom
and 20 in the top half
if you add in martina in the bottom she brings them up to 8

hectopascal
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:13 AM
I'm looking forward to the Sharapova - Vaidisova match (please let it happen!!!!) and I think the winner of this match will be the one who makes it to the semis. Other than that, it's pretty much a cakewalk draw for any one of the (few) top players in the bottom half.

Shepster
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:23 AM
You have to ask the question I suppose based on the seeding and who could have gone where.

Henin being in the other half is totally irrelevent - she was #1 seed and couldn't have been in Sharapova's half. 0-0.

Of seeds 3-4 JJ went in the top half and Sveta in the bottom. JJ is having the much better year and has outperformed her by a couple of rounds in the last 2 US Opens. On balance probably equal given Sveta has won the thing. Still 0-0.

Of 5-8 the balance is totally in the top 1/2 - Serena speaks for herself and Ana has had by far the best results of the others this year. 2-0 Top half.

Of 9-12 Venus is the one you wouldn't want at all and she went in the top half. A completely out of form Dani went in the bottom half and Schnyder has been downhill since San Diego. Marion has had nothing to write home about this year. 3-0 top half.

Of 13-16 Elena has a great record at the US Open even if it is on the downward spiral, Safina is blah, Hingis is out of form and has fitness questions, Nicole hasn't played in 8 weeks - they both went in the bottom. Elena's the toughest match there at the moment. 4-0 top half.

You couldn't really have made the top half as a whole any harder than it is.

Petersmiler
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:27 AM
* Svetlana Kuznetsova, Champion 2004, (Won New Haven!)
* Anna Chakvetadze Won Cincinnati Won Stanford
* Maria Sharapova, Defending Champion, Won San Diego

Top half contenders are:
* Serena Williams, 1999 and 2002 winner + winner of AO and Miami, coming back from injury
* Jelena Jankovic

Now, which half looks more impressive to you?

Just to play devils advocate, I amended some of your post above.

Strange though, it still seems top heavy!!

eck
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:49 AM
But why are complaining to us something that belongs to WTATour.com? ;)

vadin124
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:07 PM
this is a joke of a thread...i mean this year's french open for me was pretty un-even...but the US Open is just incredible, it has to be the single most un-even grand slam draw i've ever seen!
5 of the 6 main contenders for the title are all in the same half...and that's not even including Dementieva, who always performs well in New York

only Sharapova has a realistic chance of taking the title in the bottom half

Matt01
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:24 PM
Top half contenders:

Justine: totally sucks on fast surfaces, isn't able to beat the real top players on hardcourts, mentally weak outside of RG, no real contender for the title

Serena: just coming back from injury, out of form, overweight, slow, no contender

Venus: sucks outside of grass in the last years, poor stamina, even lost to Chaky and out-of-form-playing-without-serve Pova this year on hardcourt, no contender

Jankovic: overrated, only in top 10 because she plays 35 tournaments per year, never reached a GS final, can't beat Henin, no contender

Ivanovic: another overrated Serbian, inconsistant, never ever beat a Williams sister or Henin, no contender

You see, in reality, the top half is totally weak and can't be any more difficult than the bottom half :wavey: ;)

darice
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:43 PM
saying that somebody has a cakewalk draw sounds like you're bagging on everybody in that half but it really isn't. it just seems compared to the other half the road for the higher seed (in this case masha) isn't as tough. like for masha for ex it's not that kuzzy or nadia or anna couldn't give masha trouble but compared to juju, rena+vee, masha has a cakewalk draw.

Shepster
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:47 PM
like for masha for ex it's not that kuzzy or nadia or anna couldn't give masha trouble but compared to juju, rena+vee, masha has a cakewalk draw.
If you're comparing the draws to those players of course she has an easier draw than Serena and Venus - look where they're seeded... If you're using those 3 as tougher opposition she couldn't possibly have drawn Henin because of the seeding... :shrug:

Slutiana
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:53 PM
read again. he/she isn't saying they don't exist. he/she is saying that he/she does not believe the US Open 07 is a cakewalk draw. this draw is fairly balanced. the top half is the harder section to be in though.

:bs:

Top half contenders:

Justine: totally sucks on fast surfaces, isn't able to beat the real top players on hardcourts, mentally weak outside of RG, no real contender for the title

Serena: just coming back from injury, out of form, overweight, slow, no contender

Venus: sucks outside of grass in the last years, poor stamina, even lost to Chaky and out-of-form-playing-without-serve Pova this year on hardcourt, no contender

Jankovic: overrated, only in top 10 because she plays 35 tournaments per year, never reached a GS final, can't beat Henin, no contender

Ivanovic: another overrated Serbian, inconsistant, never ever beat a Williams sister or Henin, no contender

You see, in reality, the top half is totally weak and can't be any more difficult than the bottom half :wavey: ;)

:ras: im having a bad day today :o

darice
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:58 PM
If you're comparing the draws to those players of course she has an easier draw than Serena and Venus - look where they're seeded... If you're using those 3 as tougher opposition she couldn't possibly have drawn Henin because of the seeding... :shrug:

rena+vee could've been in masha's half and then we'd be saying that juju has a cakewalk draw. :shrug:

Matt01
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:36 PM
:spit: that is the single worst post i have ever read....that is going in my siggy:help: :drool:

you've basically said that there's no contender for the title. so who's gonna win the USO 2007? Brie Whitehead?? :o

EDIT: Do you like my new siggy? Had to edit it a bit to help it fit in my siggy and had to make it stand out a bit more but i got there ;)

Ok, obviously you didn't get what I was trying to say with my post :p

You can still keep my text in your siggy, though :D :)

Freakan
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:45 PM
:bs:

:spit: that is the single worst post i have ever read....that is going in my siggy:help: :drool:

you've basically said that there's no contender for the title. so who's gonna win the USO 2007? Brie Whitehead?? :o

EDIT: Do you like my new siggy? Had to edit it a bit to help it fit in my siggy and had to make it stand out a bit more but i got there ;)

:tape:
what an idiot :lol:
ever heard about someone being sarcastic? :help:

Shepster
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:49 PM
rena+vee could've been in masha's half and then we'd be saying that juju has a cakewalk draw. :shrug:
Firstly, that's not true - there is only ever talk about "cakewalk" draws vis-a-vis Sharapova, last week at Toronto there was 1 thread (which I started) about the difficulty of the draw and while it was assumed Ana or JJ had the easiest nobody was complaining about it...

Secondly, Maria had a 75% chance of avoiding Serena prior to the quarters, it was likely she wouldn't get her. She had a 75% chance of avoiding Venus in the 4th round, it was likely it wouldn't happen. She had a 66% chance of not getting both in her half, it was likely it wouldn't happen. You're asking for an unfair situation for her draw to be anything other than "cakewalk".

Justine has a pretty fair draw - she has nothing until the quarterfinals that can bother her (unlike Sharapova) and while it is true Ana, JJ, Elena and Venus are in her half the only certainty is that she definitely WON'T play at least 3 of them. The "half" is overrated, it's the quarter that defines how difficult or easy your draw is - JJ has the hardest quarter, Sveta the easiest, Justine's is only harder in that Serena in QF is a tougher match than Nicole in 4R, the rest is zero problem.

Say Justine gets JJ or Ana in the semi - for her that's not a tremendous problem, she's never lost to them. She has an incredible record against Elena, the only *problem* match for her would be Venus and it's far from guaranteed she'd get her.

Justine has 1 match harder than Maria - the potential semifinal. Otherwise Justine has the toughest possible QF and Maria doesn't and Maria has the toughest possible 4R where Justine has the easiest and BOTH are against players who haven't hit a ball for 8 weeks.

Is Sharapova's draw favourable? Of course. Is it a "cakewalk"? I wouldn't go that far (especially comparing her 1/4 to Sveta's). Justine's could have been much more difficult - Safina 4R and Sugi 3R?, no-form Bartoli the other highest seed in the quarter? erm... :tape:

darice
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:03 PM
Is Sharapova's draw favourable? Of course. Is it a "cakewalk"? I wouldn't go that far (especially comparing her 1/4 to Sveta's). Justine's could have been much more difficult - Safina 4R and Sugi 3R?, no-form Bartoli the other highest seed in the quarter? erm... :tape:

oh I see. you’ve obviously mistaken me for a masha hater when I am so not. :lol: all I said was that in comparison to juju’s masha’s draw is a cakewalk. i said it wouldn’t be easy but to a lot of ppl on this board incl me, juju has the tougher opponents in her half. If you disagree that’s kewl but sorry if you mistook me for a masha hater. :wavey:

Shepster
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:12 PM
oh I see. you’ve obviously mistaken me for a masha hater when I am so not. :lol: all I said was that in comparison to juju’s masha’s draw is a cakewalk. i said it wouldn’t be easy but to a lot of ppl on this board incl me, juju has the tougher opponents in her half. If you disagree that’s kewl but sorry if you mistook me for a masha hater. :wavey:
I didn't assume you hate Sharapova (I don't even like her myself), but your definition of "cakewalk" must be very strange seeing as it revolves around just 1 match potentially being more difficult. Again, so what about the half? That only guarantees Justine cannot play most of them... :shrug:

thrust
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:20 PM
This draw is totally ridiculous! Anyone who doesn^t see this is a fool or in denial. Unfortunately, the WTA officials are as stupid as Matt01

alexia1huff
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:37 PM
* Ana Ivanovic, LA winner and why didn't you include semi at wimbledon and final at rg

top half has 3 grand slams this year :P

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:45 PM
top half....heavy

bottom half...masha and no one else

Poova
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:46 PM
Oh for gods sake are people still moaning about this? Maybe if the WS got their rankings up by actually (gasp) playing tournaments other than the Grand Slams they wouldn't get these draws. I don't really mind the draw, my only problem is that Marion got Serena as a potential 4R. :( It is a bit top heavy though, yes, but that's the seedings for you.

And to Shepster, Marion has "had nothing to write home about this year?" So reaching the final of one of the four biggest tennis tournaments is nothing to write home about?! Granted she's not done brilliantly everywhere else, but I think Wimbledon cancels that all out. Weird statement IMO.

Donny
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:49 PM
Oh for gods sake are people still moaning about this? Maybe if the WS got their rankings up by actually (gasp) playing tournaments other than the Grand Slams they wouldn't get these draws. I don't really mind the draw, my only problem is that Marion got Serena as a potential 4R. :( It is a bit top heavy though, yes, but that's the seedings for you.

And to Shepster, Marion has "had nothing to write home about this year?" So reaching the final of one of the four biggest tennis tournaments is nothing to write home about?! Granted she's not done brilliantly everywhere else, but I think Wimbledon cancels that all out. Weird statement IMO.

This isn't about seedings. This is about how the seeds who are a threat to win the USO managed to all end up in the same half of the draw.

Shepster
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:50 PM
No, I was talking about her and all the others on hardcourts this summer. I called her "no-form", which is completely true. Prior to New Haven she had the worst form on hardcourts this summer out of any of the top 16 seeds and even worse than Peer who everybody has said has had a terrible summer. Marion was 3-4 coming into this week post-Wimbledon.

Poova
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:53 PM
This isn't about seedings. This is about how the seeds who are a threat to win the USO managed to all end up in the same half of the draw.
They got drawn fairly by their seedings. There's nothing unfair about it. Venus is 12th and Serena is 8th or whatever, and Justine, Jelena and Ana are 1, 3 and 5. You should have known that something like this could happen. :o

I do agree though, the draw is very top-heavy, but that's life. :shrug:

Poova
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:56 PM
No, I was talking about her and all the others on hardcourts this summer. I called her "no-form", which is completely true. Prior to New Haven she had the worst form on hardcourts this summer out of any of the top 16 seeds and even worse than Peer who everybody has said has had a terrible summer. Marion was 3-4 coming into this week post-Wimbledon.
Yes she has had a bad hardcourt season, but I think mostly it was to do with pressure. She's had some better results in the last two weeks by getting to the QF of Toronto and now she's in the QF of New Haven. :)

Donny
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:57 PM
They got drawn fairly by their seedings. There's nothing unfair about it. Venus is 12th and Serena is 8th or whatever, and Justine, Jelena and Ana are 1, 3 and 5. You should have known that something like this could happen. :o

I do agree though, the draw is very top-heavy, but that's life. :shrug:

This isn't about fairness. Draws are random. This is just VERY lucky for Sharapova.

Slutiana
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:00 PM
Ok, obviously you didn't get what I was trying to say with my post :p

You can still keep my text in your siggy, though :D :)

what an idiot :lol:
ever heard about someone being sarcastic? :help:

yes but it wasn't exactly the best example of sarcasm. Its meant to be obvious. My bad :ras:

Shepster
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
Yes she has had a bad hardcourt season, but I think mostly it was to do with pressure. She's had some better results in the last two weeks by getting to the QF of Toronto and now she's in the QF of New Haven. :)
I don't think pressure has anything to do with it she was 2-3 down under in January, she was 2-2 in the big Tier Is in March, now she's currently 4-4 in the summer. She's had a consistently poor year all round on hardcourts.

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
why do people complain about Serena and Venus playing nothing but GS....last time i checked there aren't 7 Slams or 9 either...

Poova
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:14 PM
I don't think pressure has anything to do with it she was 2-3 down under in January, she was 2-2 in the big Tier Is in March, now she's currently 4-4 in the summer. She's had a consistently poor year all round on hardcourts.
At the start of the year she was in a really bad slump though. She got bagelled by people like Bremond and Schruff who have not been playing that great either for a long time. So I don't think her results at the start of the year should really be brought into this. :shrug:

simba
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:54 PM
how is it not a cakewalk draw???

in the bottom half maria and sveta

top half, justine, Serena, Venus, Ivanovic, Jankovic

chakvetadze doesn't threaten the top players at all (venus is her only significant win against a real top player), so she is not even considered as a contender
if you don't believe me look at the odds, all the top odds players are in the top half

all three slam champs this year in the top half,

well said.:worship:

RenaSlam.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:08 PM
With the exception of Wimbledon this year, Sharapova almost always has a cakewalk draw to the SF or F.

Matt01
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
This draw is totally ridiculous! Anyone who doesn^t see this is a fool or in denial. Unfortunately, the WTA officials are as stupid as Matt01

Oh, p*ss off, troll!

Secondly, Maria had a 75% chance of avoiding Serena prior to the quarters, it was likely she wouldn't get her. She had a 75% chance of avoiding Venus in the 4th round, it was likely it wouldn't happen. She had a 66% chance of not getting both in her half, it was likely it wouldn't happen. You're asking for an unfair situation for her draw to be anything other than "cakewalk".

Justine has a pretty fair draw - she has nothing until the quarterfinals that can bother her (unlike Sharapova) and while it is true Ana, JJ, Elena and Venus are in her half the only certainty is that she definitely WON'T play at least 3 of them. The "half" is overrated, it's the quarter that defines how difficult or easy your draw is - JJ has the hardest quarter, Sveta the easiest, Justine's is only harder in that Serena in QF is a tougher match than Nicole in 4R, the rest is zero problem.

Justine has 1 match harder than Maria - the potential semifinal. Otherwise Justine has the toughest possible QF and Maria doesn't and Maria has the toughest possible 4R where Justine has the easiest and BOTH are against players who haven't hit a ball for 8 weeks.

Is Sharapova's draw favourable? Of course. Is it a "cakewalk"? I wouldn't go that far (especially comparing her 1/4 to Sveta's).

Very good post, Shepster :yeah:

With the exception of Wimbledon this year, Sharapova almost always has a cakewalk draw to the SF or F.

As far as I remember she had an extremely difficult draw not only at Wimbledon but also at the biggest Tier I tournament of the year.

sfselesfan
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:25 PM
I guess every sportscaster and pundit is wrong then. How could we fans all have been so stupid? The draw is completely balanced. :rolleyes:

As I've said before, I like it unbalanced. It makes for more interesting matches early on. Typically the player who comes out of the tougher section wins because they've had to raise their game. I'm happy that al of my favorites are on the tougher top half.

SF

RenaSlam.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:30 PM
I guess every sportscaster and pundit is wrong then. How could we fans all have been so stupid? The draw is completely balanced. :rolleyes:

As I've said before, I like it unbalanced. It makes for more interesting matches early on. Typically the player who comes out of the tougher section wins because they've had to raise their game. I'm happy that al of my favorites are on the tougher top half.

SF

That being said, I think the winner will definitely emerge from the top half. Justine, S, V, or Ivanovic, IMHO.

Sorry, Maria. :wavey:

darice
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:30 PM
I didn't assume you hate Sharapova (I don't even like her myself), but your definition of "cakewalk" must be very strange seeing as it revolves around just 1 match potentially being more difficult. Again, so what about the half? That only guarantees Justine cannot play most of them... :shrug:

but it doesn't revolve around 1 match. besides rena+vee, juju could have trouble (if she met them) with marion, dinara, jelly, lena, elni, lona and ana. masha’s half doesn’t seem as dangerous. :shrug:

AcesHigh
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:32 PM
Unbalanced: yes
Unfair: no

And yes, it's a cakewalk draw. The same people who were saying Kuzzy was an easy opponent for Venus at Wimbledon are now touting her USO win like it was yesterday. Vaidisova has done what lately?? And what is Chaks record vs. GS champs again?

LadyLil
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:35 PM
I wonder why almost everyone on WTAtour.com seems to agree that the bottom half of the US Open Draw is nothing but a "cakewalk draw" for Sharapova. As I see it, there are some serious contenders for the US Open title even within the bottom half of the draw, i.e.:

Svetlana Kuznetsova - Former US-Open-Champion; recent form might not be that great, but she nevertheless had some impressive wins this year: Justine Henin at Berlin Open, Venus Williams at Warsaw...

Anna Chakvetadze - Had a great US hardcourt-season so far, winning titles in Stanford and Cinncinnati, defeating Venus Williams at San Diego

Nicole Vaidisova - Reached SF at Australian Open, just returning from injury, but that applies to Serena Williams as well

Maria Sharapova - Australian Open-runner up, just won first title of the season at San Diego

I really don't understand why everbody who is neither from Serbia and Belgium nor part of the Williams family is not supposed to pose a threat at the US Open.

Nadia Petrova. Headcase.
Daniela Hantuchova. Good player. Two weeks will tax her physically.
Martina Hingis. Bad back.
Svetlana Kuznetsova. Have to classify her as a headcase. She is coming back off of a shoulder injury that kept her out of Fed Cup as well.
Anna Chakvetadze. Good player. Not a great player yet. And how many times this summer is she going to play Sania Mirza?
Sania hasn't shown she's got the mental toughness to make it to the second week.
Patty Schnyder.
Nicole Vaidisova coming back from illness.
Shahar Pe'er's level of play has slacked off lately.
Ms Radwanska is pretty good but not Grand Slam good yet.

Above from wwwsavannahsworld.blogspot.com (My blog)

Anything else you want to know?

Tennisstar86
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:40 PM

Actually, no if Serena and Venus were in Maria's side of the draw it would be more balanced.... The reason for this? There are 6 semi Heavy contenders for the US Open title this year...

Justine -Heavy
Serena - Heavy
Venus - Heavy
Sharapova - Semi Heavy
Jelena - Semi Heavy
Ivanovic - Semi Heavy

Dark Horses:
Dementieva
Kuznetsova
Vaidisova
Chakvedatzke

Long shots:
Hingis
Hantuchova
Petrova...

At the moment 5 of those 6 are in the top half..... with just sharapova in the bottom....Now if 5 of those 6 players have to fight for 1 spot against not only the rest of the draw but 4 other players who if they made it to the final would not surprise a whole lot of people, whereas on the other side 1 player is expected to make it to the final and any one else doing so would be a shock..... then you have a "cakewalk" draw.... At least IMO... there are other examples; however, this is the worst Ive seen in a while....

darice
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:48 PM
Actually, no if Serena and Venus were in Maria's side of the draw it would be more balanced....

looking at the bottom half again i see your point. :)

Kworb
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
She's been top 2 all year. That means she never had to play anyone ranked higher than #5 in the QF, and that's only if everyone plays. And apparently everyone thinks so highly of Sharapova that having to play anyone other than Henin or the Williams sisters is seen as a cakewalk.

Also, don't forget she did draw Venus in R3 and Serena in R4 in Miami, and she didn't survive that.

AcesHigh
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
She's been top 2 all year. That means she never had to play anyone ranked higher than #5 in the QF, and that's only if everyone plays. And apparently everyone thinks so highly of Sharapova that having to play anyone other than Henin or the Williams sisters is seen as a cakewalk.

Also, don't forget she did draw Venus in R3 and Serena in R4 in Miami, and she didn't survive that.

Understandable but (1) we're talking about slmas and even if she is ranked #2, Henin has had very hard draws as #1 and so did Mauresmo when she was #1. She never seems to get the hot player of the moment and I'm sure if she had Jankovic or Ivanovic in her half, none of this "cakewalK" talk would occur.

goldenlox
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
I remeber saying how easy Sharapova's RG draw was. Justine Serena Jelena and Venus were in the top half.
Starting then, Ivanovic started playing well, so they threw her in the top half also.

RenaSlam.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:02 PM
Maria's Head-to-Head with Justine, Serena, Ana, Venus, and Jelena for the year:

Justine - 0-0
Serena - 0-2 :worship: Two straight set losses. Won five games in both. :tape:
Ana - 0-2 :bounce: One she retired in the middle of, but still counts :neener:. The other she got what? 3 or 4 games?
Venus - 1-1 Wimbledon loss. Maria's best surface, but we all know Venus on grass >>>>>>>>> Maria on grass. Got 4 games :help:...beat Venus in Miami in an error-filled match littered with DFs in the wind in the 3R. Doesn't mean much as it could've gone either way.
Jankovic- 0-1 - On grass. Maria's best surface :help:

So Maria lucked out big time, she has ONE win against the Top 5 performers of the year. Lucky, lucky, lucky. Oh so luckyyyyyyyyyy.

Shout out to AcesHigh for pointing out that Maria did in fact beat Venus in Miami. I seemed to overlook that. :)

Chunchun
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:10 PM
I remeber saying how easy Sharapova's RG draw was. Justine Serena Jelena and Venus were in the top half.
Starting then, Ivanovic started playing well, so they threw her in the top half also.

damn :mad: Who and How many did Maria Sharapova actually sleep with?

AcesHigh
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:13 PM
Maria's Head-to-Head with Justine, Serena, Ana, Venus, and Jelena for the year:

Justine - 0-0
Serena - 0-2 :worship: Two straight set losses. Won five games in both. :tape:
Ana - 0-2 :bounce: One she retired in the middle of, but still counts :neener:. The other she got what? 3 or 4 games?
Venus - 0-1 Wimbledon. Maria's best surface, but we all know Venus on grass >>>>>>>>> Maria on grass. Got 4 games :help:
Jankovic- 0-1 - On grass. Maria's best surface :help:

So Maria lucked out big time, she has ZERO wins against the Top 5 performers of the year. Lucky, lucky, lucky. Oh so luckyyyyyyyyyy.

She defeated Venus at Miami :(

RenaSlam.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:14 PM
She defeated Venus at Miami :(

Oh my bad. That's one win for her against the Big 5.

Tennisstar86
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:15 PM

lol.....

Also Not only is it that its easier for Maria but also anyone else in the bottom draw who wanted to have a breakthrough performance as they have less in-form opposition to go through.... Whereas as say someone like Bartoli is gonna be drowning fast...

Matt01
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:15 PM
Ok, hopefully this will be my last post in this thread :timebomb:
And for the record, Sharpie is my least favorite player of the current Top Ten (well, maybe except for for Chaky :p )

But:

1. I really don't think that Sharpie usually gets cakewalk draws at the Slams.
2. I don't think that she got a cakewalk draw this time, either.

Yes, she is in the easier part of the draw this time. Venus, Serena, Justine, Janko and Ana probably have a harder draw.
However, Vinci in the first round of a Slam on a fast surface is already not THAT easy. In 3R she could play Razzono (not a top player but in good form on hardcourt). In 4R she could already meet Vaidisova, who reached 2 quarters and 1 semi at Slams this year and who is always dangerous on hardcourt, injured in the last few weeks or not. (In the top half, Serena and Venus, while more accomplished than Nicole, haven't done much in the last few weeks on HC either).
In the quarters she will probably get Chaky, who won 2 hardcourt series tournemants and beat Venus some weeks ago, or Mirza or Schnyder (both players had some good results on HC the last few weeks)and in the semis probably the winner of Hingis/Kuzzy/Dani/Petrova.
Sorry, but for me this is no cakewalk draw.

French Open: Getting Schnyder already in 4R on clay is again in no way a cakewalk draw.
Wimbledon: Getting Venus already in 4R on grass is again in no way a cakewalk draw.

RenaSlam.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:17 PM
And for the record, Sharpie is my least favorite player of the current Top Ten (well, maybe except for for Chaky :p )

But:

Yes, she is in the easier part of the draw this time. Venus, Serena, Justine, Janko and Ana probably have a harder draw.
However, Vinci in the first round of a Slam on a fast surface is already not THAT easy. In 3R she could play Razzono (not a top player but in good form on hardcourt). In 4R she could already meet Vaidisova, who reached 2 quarters and 1 semi at Slams this year and who is always dangerous on hardcourt, injured in the last few weeks or not. (In the top half, Serena and Venus, while more accomplished than Nicole, haven't done much in the last few weeks on HC either).
In the quarters she will probably get Chaky, who won 2 hardcourt series tournemants and beat Venus some weeks ago, or Mirza or Schnyder (both players had some good results on HC the last few weeks)and in the semis probably the winner of Hingis/Kuzzy/Dani/Petrova.

French Open: Getting Schnyder already in 4R on clay is again in no way a cakewalk draw.
Wimbledon: Getting Venus already in 4R on grass is again in no way a cakewalk draw.

The fact you use the word "probably" in this sentence bring to my attention the bias you have.

Matt01
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:19 PM
The fact you use the word "probably" in this sentence bring to my attention the bias you have.

Says one of the biggest Serena-trolls of this board. I'm impressed.

brent-o
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:19 PM
But tennis is all about match-ups. Personally, I don't find Chakvetadze to be a real threat to Sharapova if she's playing well. She's just folds mentally against her. As for Vaidisova, they've never played so we'll see. Sveta could pose a challenge if she finds some good form. Not exactly a cakewalk but it could have been much tougher for her.

Tennisstar86
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:20 PM

But:

Hopefully you'll stop posting crazy and just admit what everyone and you know... the top half of the draw is waaay more stacked and sharapova only has to play the people shes beaten this year and not the ones that have beaten her...

Emina.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:21 PM

get a life! :o

sfselesfan
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:26 PM
Top half contenders:

Clearly biased...if not...moronic.

SF

RenaSlam.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:46 PM

SF

That post made me laugh so hard.

So moronic. Get that kid some meds.

AcesHigh
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:48 PM

SF

I think it's called sarcasm

rjd1111
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:55 PM

EVERY SINGLE player who has defeated Sharapova this year is in the other half. Zvonareva, Serena, Venus, Jankovic, Ivanovic, even Rezai!

sfselesfan
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:13 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/tennis/articles/2007/08/23/talent_pool_is_more_crowded_at_top/

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/23/sports/tennis/23open.html?ref=tennis

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_wertheim/08/23/us.women/index.html

http://www.newsday.com/sports/tennis/ny-spopen235342392aug23,0,7467673.story

http://usopen.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/22/henin-s-williams-again/?ref=sports

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/sports/view_article.php?article_id=84220

SF