PDA

View Full Version : US Open draw horrible

majuu
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:12 AM
Does anyone else agree with me?

I mean, Justine, Serena, Venus, Jankovic, Ivanovic all on the same side.
Then at the bottom theres pretty much just Sharapova. I mean the 3rd quarter :help: ...they may as well just put Kuznetsova straight to the semis.

Ntour
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:15 AM
sharapova always has cakewalks, its just a little toooo much of a cakewalk this year.
but then again with the way she has been playing she could lose before the final

RJWCapriati
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:16 AM
Hingis is a former champion ya know :p Just because she didn't perform well in the tournaments she played this summer doesn't mean she won't do damage here.

ViennaCalling
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:16 AM
Déjà vu :eek: :speakles:

It appears to me that i've seen such threads yesterday too ..... Too much is too much:o

Ntour
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:18 AM
Hingis is a former champion ya know :p Just because she didn't perform well in the tournaments she played this summer doesn't mean she won't do damage here.

at very very best and this is a huge stretch she could get to the qfs but i don't sxpect her to make it past the 3rd or 4th round

goldlion
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:21 AM
I agree that the top hard is very very tough.

The ones who can survive til QF will already have had a good result this year.

But as for the bottom half, I guess we can expect some black horses coming out.

Big names will also survive til the QF, but it sounds like a Tier I QF only.

I guess Nicole can defend her points in the 3rd round and say good bye to New York in the 4th round.

majuu
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:22 AM
Hingis is a former champion ya know Just because she didn't perform well in the tournaments she played this summer doesn't mean she won't do damage here.

Former champion. I'd really be overjoyed to see her do well, but she isn't one of the games powerhouses anymore.

frontier
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:46 AM
I hope Nicole will take her out and embarrass the organisers just like Roddick was stunned by Gilles Muller.

switz
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:51 AM
sharapova always has cakewalks, its just a little toooo much of a cakewalk this year.
but then again with the way she has been playing she could lose before the final

as much as i don't like to defend Sharapova she is on an 8 match winning streak. albeit without beating anyone with the weapons to break her down - but they aren't in her draw anyway.

PLP
Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:33 AM
Former champion. I'd really be overjoyed to see her do well, but she isn't one of the games powerhouses anymore.

No she isn't and she has been struggling since Tokyo but still she shouldn't be counted out...she might play craptastic tennis and lose in the 1st or 2nd rd, or she could pull her game together and go very deep. Martina is an enigma at this tournament IMHO.
I also think that the 3rd quarter isn't at all weak w/Hingis, Sveta, Nadia, Dani, etc.,
It maybe the weakest quarter of the draw, but it would still make a decent Tier 1 with 3 top ten players and a former #1.

CaptnMatt
Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:43 AM
No she isn't and she has been struggling since Tokyo but still she shouldn't be counted out...she might play craptastic tennis and lose in the 1st or 2nd rd, or she could pull her game together and go very deep. Martina is an enigma at this tournament IMHO.
I also think that the 3rd quarter isn't at all weak w/Hingis, Sveta, Nadia, Dani, etc.,
It maybe the weakest quarter of the draw, but it would still make a decent Tier 1 with 3 top ten players and a former #1.

I'm with you...I'm not entirely convinced that Kuznetsova will get through......everyone seems to forget that Hingis BEAT Kuznetsova in straight sets at the Canadian Open last year....7-6 6-3......Martina's got the game to do it.....it's just a matter of if she's ready and how hard she's working......
She really is confusing to predict here.....I don't think anybody will know how she'll go until Martina is out there and playing her matches.

Serge007
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
everyone seems to forget that Hingis BEAT Kuznetsova in straight sets at the Canadian Open last year....7-6 6-3
everyone also forgot that Zvonareva BEAT Serena Williams in straight sets at the Cincinnati (hard) in 2006. 6-2 6-3 :-)

CaptnMatt
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:22 PM
everyone also forgot that Zvonareva BEAT Serena Williams in straight sets at the Cincinnati (hard) in 2006. 6-2 6-3 :-)

That is completely different.....Hingis/Kuznetsova were both playing well in Canada last year....Serena lost that match when she hadn't played in donkeys years.....What you just said had no relevance at all....

My point was that Hingis was playing well in Canada last year....she beat Kuznetsova 7-6 6-3.....on American Hardcourts.....therefore, if she could get her act together....she'd be capable to beating Kuznetsova AGAIN this year. If Zvonareva got her act together, Serena would still wallop her in current form.

goldenlox
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
When Ivanovic lost 1st round in Canada, it created this possibility. Sveta passed her to be #4, and it was possible to have all 4 top Russians in the same half. They're seeded 2467.
Venus is outside the top 8, she could have landed anywhere.